Chaos at Mor Chit as many blame pick-up seating ban

webfact

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Chris,

Its been a couple of month already before this came into play so they did have time to act. They did of course nothing because they had hoped that it would not be enforced. 

its not been enforced yet !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, catman20 said:

its not been enforced yet !

I am talking about the van, stuff.. my mistake 

I know the pickup seating is not enforced that is why i did not understand them blaming that for the problems. I thought it was the van seating restrictions that made the problems worse on top of the already huge number of passengers. 

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

One thing most Thai governments, and more specifically, the junta, can do well, is to completely screw things up for the people.

Bringing in new rules for vans and pick-ups on the eve on the nations largest movement of Thais, shows a complete lack of common sense.

3-6 months prior and it may have been a lot different and allowing people to make alternate travel plans.

I don't think it is the Junta's lack of commonsense in this case (not that they have much in the way of sense at anything they do) It is more down to a total contempt for the ordinary citizen, who are way down the queue in their book when it comes to peoples rights.

2 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

First of all, those buses are city buses and all those people are traveling interprovincial. Therefore it would be no help for those traveller.

Secondly, a fraud will be a fraud even you want it so badly or is it okay for you to make some exception if it's fits you.

Thinking big picture / long-term IMHO the authorities did the right thing to cancel the contract.

If they didn't:

- They just reinforce that it's OK to twist / break the law. 'mai pben rai' remains standard and ongoing.

- They could possibly be charged with dereliction of duty for not cancelling the contract. 

10 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I don't think it is the Junta's lack of commonsense in this case (not that they have much in the way of sense at anything they do) It is more down to a total contempt for the ordinary citizen, who are way down the queue in their book when it comes to peoples rights.

So how, specific to this subject is it breaking peoples rights?

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

Thailand is NOT! a poor country! they have more foreign exchange reserves than a lot of countries, including the UK, yes -  a lot of the people are poor and purposefully kept that way, the government prefers to "invest" the money in submarines and the like rather than invest the money in its people! A decent and functioning public transportation system should be in place!

Until there is a functioning government in place, not going to be a lot of changes! they will just come up with laws that further keep the poor folks subservient! Bit like a lot of places actually! :shock1:

And did the 'functioning' governments' for the last 20 years do very much about the overall broad based country wide transport situation?

No.

39 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Check your bible. God made heaven and earth in 6 Days and rested on the 7th.

Sorry I do not own a bible its only a thought pulled from a yesteryear memory. Thanks for the correction. Say a prayer for me this Sunday I truly need it. 

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

One thing most Thai governments, and more specifically, the junta, can do well, is to completely screw things up for the people.

Bringing in new rules for vans and pick-ups on the eve on the nations largest movement of Thais, shows a complete lack of common sense.

3-6 months prior and it may have been a lot different and allowing people to make alternate travel plans.

On the contrary it shows complete common sense... this is the time of year most Thais die on the roads..

why wait until after the holiday period when all the carnage has ended.

I don't see how saving peoples lives equates to "screwing things up" ??

It will never be a convenient time for Thais to comply with new regulations, or even agree with them. But in time they will see the value in having some road sense.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Chris,

Its been a couple of month already before this came into play so they did have time to act. They did of course nothing because they had hoped that it would not be enforced. 

Rob the real problem is lack of real transport groundwork outside of Bangkok. They lack sufficient busses and train services. Planes are expensive. Again 65% of budget is spent on Bangkok. The new spending is now on military. So what remains to look after the rest of the country. The daily wage in Chiang Rai is 300-400 baht? The planning for this would or should have carried out prior the real enforcement of the law until sufficient transport Infrastructure has been carried out to a usable level.

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And did the 'functioning' governments' for the last 20 years do very much about the overall broad based country wide transport situation?

No.

That was my point!

Part of the problem at Mo Chit is when the govt decided that all mini-buses should use the Mo Chit terminal instead of the traditional one at Victory Monument.  On my last trip returning to Mo Chit, there were plenty of buses arriving and discharging passengers but there was no way to leave the place !   Apparently taxi drivers had not learned that there are people waiting to leave the "new terminal".

There was a triple queue of people waiting for very few taxis. I had to wait 1.5 hours before I got my taxi out of there.

Not a pleasant place to be on a hot afternoon. Next time I will get off the bus at Rangsit where there are always plenty of taxis waiting. 

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I agree in principal but everyone would still havd left it all to the last minute.

"Many were blaming the government's moves to enforce the rules about travelling in the back of pick-ups..."

Yet not a single qoute from someone actually blaming the pick-up policy. :huh: It seems like all 'news' items these days are actually just opinion pieces in disguise.

9 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

.Not just Thai governments but all governments that's their job to screw things up

6 hours ago, hansnl said:

You are absolutely right.

The laws were there for years, never enforced, and now they will be, probably.

But about chaos at Morchit, same as last year.......

HaHa Just gone over the OP-----guess what-----They say that not only is this the busiest time of year but there are more people there than usual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

6 hours ago, hansnl said:

You are absolutely right.

The laws were there for years, never enforced, and now they will be, probably.

But about chaos at Morchit, same as last year.......

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Meanwhile at Laem Chabang the NGV busses sit in limbo and the purchase contract has been cancelled......Great Minds!

To be fair, those buses were supposed to be for the BMTA in Bangkok, and wouldn't have had any role in alleviating city-to-city/interprovincial travel problems, as they were built/intended just for local service.

But, I do share your dismay that there are a couple hundred fully-ready-to-operate NGV buses sitting in a yard in Bangkok somewhere that may never be put to use in replacing the large numbers of old, dilapidated, non-AC buses that the BMTA currently runs (along with all the broken-down ones that can't even get into service).

6 hours ago, CGW said:

It wasn't very well publicised though was it, certainly I had never heard of the law, nor had any of the locals where I live, though, as you say maybe they had heard but were hoping? though that wasn't my impression.

On one hand, the average Thai citizen, based on living their life here, has every reason to expect that actual laws will NOT be enforced by Thai police, because they rarely are and have been. So I suspect the average Thai citizen's response is to pretty much ignore most things about the enforcing of laws, considering how rarely it's done.

On the other hand, it shouldn't take a genius to know that piling people into the back of pickup trucks for long highway journeys on dangerous roads (made dangerous by idiot and drunken drivers) during the most dangerous time of the year is simply asking to be sent on into their next Buddhist life. Not that that has ever stopped any of them from continuing to make/take those trips.

12 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

That i call bull-crap, chaos just as usual ...

'Overbooking' ... same-same ... 

..not following directions...  Ngaah, actually many people try to comply in at the bus stations.

Just too many people travel on that day... I was caught once having to travel on that time.... Too many people.

Bring in the crazy hiso lady from the DMV, and the Crazy TAT VP driving lesson... and welah, chaos as usual.... oh new side show,  streakers on the roadways..  Chaos