A Night Out with the Foreign Tourist Police in Thailand's Seediest City

webfact

A Night Out with the Foreign Tourist Police in Thailand's Seediest City

DUNCAN FORGAN

vv.jpeg

Photo by Aaron Joel Santos

In 2002 Pattaya, Thailand invited foreigners to assist them, at first for translation and as an informal tourist information service, but its scope has since been widened to include real law enforcement.

Thailand’s most sinful city, Pattaya is famous for getting men a little hot under the collar. And discontent is boiling over at the police mobile unit stationed at the entrance to the resort town’s infamous Walking Street. A giant Pakistani man is stating his case vociferously to the volunteer foreign cops who patrol the red-light district on a nightly basis. Beside him, a feminine Asian form on skyscraping stilettos chews gum and shoots him sour looks. “I am not a homosexual,” cries the man. “This thing deceived me,” he says, jabbing a finger at his companion, whose perceptibly manly features and guttural tones make it obvious she was born a he. 

“He refused to pay her,” says Andros Plocins, an English member of the Foreign Tourist Police Assistants (FTPA), as we watch the scene unfold. “So now we have to sort it out.” The situation is soon defused. The man, who it transpires, had got a degree of value for the transaction before he realized the reality of the situation, has to pay the agreed price. The ladyboy, meanwhile, is hit with a 200 baht ($6) fine for soliciting. “He should have just paid in the first place,” continues another policeman, laughing.

Full story: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a-night-out-with-the-foreign-tourist-police-in-thailands-seediest-city-704

-- VICE 2017-04-13

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

In 2002 Pattaya, Thailand invited foreigners to assist them,

Never to this day, understood why anybody would want to be a police volunteer here ?

Not accepted as a proper copper in their home country in their younger days ? 

14 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Never to this day, understood why anybody would want to be a police volunteer here ?

Maybe just a desire to give something back to the local community.  

I was a police/translation volunteer in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya (I should write a book).

As BrewsterBudgen commented, 'maybe just a desire to give something back to the local community'

I recall working in Pattaya Soi 9 police station and seeing more fights within the station building than outside....

Never got my parachute wings though :)

There was a training for TPV in Pattaya a few weeks ago,all in all around 50 volunteers.

I do not think anyone who attented was there for the glory of the uniform.

The people who comment negatively on the TPV have issues of their own imho.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe just a desire to give something back to the local community.  

I've never seen them help give back the money scammed by the police. 

:partytime2:

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

The man, who it transpires, had got a degree of value for the transaction before he realized the reality of the situation  :unsure:

He was, at first, blown away by the family-friendly atmosphere in a new Happy (ending) Zone.

Thailand's seediest city.....Bangkok by far. Thailand's most dangerous city.....BKK. Thailand's dirtiest city....BKK.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s most sinful city

Sinful? Only if you're a religious nutter. If so don't go there.

<removed>

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

'Wanna-be's' Coppers............... 

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

I was a police/translation volunteer in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya (I should write a book).

As BrewsterBudgen commented, 'maybe just a desire to give something back to the local community'

I recall working in Pattaya Soi 9 police station and seeing more fights within the station building than outside....

"Never got my parachute wings though :)"

Buy 'em on Beach Rd.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

There was a training for TPV in Pattaya a few weeks ago,all in all around 50 volunteers.

I do not think anyone who attented was there for the glory of the uniform.

The people who comment negatively on the TPV have issues of their own imho.

Let me guess, you are a police volunteer yourself?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“This thing deceived me,” he says, jabbing a finger at his companion, whose perceptibly manly features and guttural tones make it obvious she was born a he. 

How does that song go "The women all get prettier at closing time."

11 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

'Wanna-be's' Coppers............... 

In some cases 'have been for a long time' coppers and unable to retire, need something to do types,

And like to give to the country that hosts them.

There will also be a few strutting peacocks and wanna-be's, who like to feel officious in the mix....

But if the sum total provides a useful service, which the local force appears incapable of doing, I see no harm.

Not that I would want to do it,  but you know, one day I may need their help. Sadly I would feel more confident in my own language... even talking to a fellow countryman.

6 hours ago, Ijustcashier said:

Good on them, most Pattaya expats spend the days in bars because they have zero hobbies and zero interest, just a mundane, may as well be dead lifestyle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Come to pattaya and become a cop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah

Ex pat,  4 hobbies, a week,  also prop up a bar a few times as well.

Do we need to become a cops,   to fulfil our lives. No.

Don't join the plonkers club, 

There's loads to do in this town.

Let the Thais be the cops,  they are more than capable of this.

They do not need foreign rejects,  for help.

Ps  Also they are taking  jobs away from good Thai citizens,  who could be employed in this roll if it's needed.

Edited by onemorechang

18 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Having that said, I noticed a foreign police volonteer once: A huge, stocky, broad shouldered, short blond haired and blue eyed Scandinavian guy. 

In his dark blue uniform he resembled .............. well, you can guess what he looked like!

I can imagine that people feel the urge to do something for the community they live in, but becoming a traffic-/tourist-police volonteer? 

Curious do they need a work permit??

There has been much discussion about that in the past and from what I remember they don't have work permits as they are "deputised" and as such are exempt from the requirement.