Udon Thani police chief goes after Facebook poster who he says defamed the force

webfact

Udon Thani police chief goes after Facebook poster who he says defamed the force

3am.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

UDON THANI: -- The head of Udon Thai police is going after a poster on Facebook who he says defamed his force in the ongoing row over sitting in the cab and back of pickups.

And in a latest development the chief also intends to get even with people who posted comments using foul language, reported Thai Rath.

He said that it was inappropriate to refer to him and his men using words associated with a man's genitalia.

Pheerapong Wongsaman saw red when a Facebook user called "Jaturong Bunyang" put a picture of the chief next to a checkpoint photo claiming that fines of 20,000 to 60,000 baht were being issued under Article 44 for illegal riding in a pick-up.

He was called evil and his resignation was demanded with the poster saying: "it's worse than you thought. Resign now! Villagers are suffering. How is this serving the public good?"

Pheerapong was annoyed also that so many people clicked like but he was really miffed by the comments that followed the post that went online last week.

So yesterday he went to the tech police arm of the force to have "Jaturong" arrested and see what he could do about bringing others to book.

Pheerapong said that the reality was that his men had had a "softly, softly" approach to the pick-up seating issue just warning people first and not issuing any fines. This had begun on April 5th but the defamatory post came out on the 6th and it was untrue and damaging to the good name of himself and the force.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-14

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, sahibji said:

catch him, ask him to prove his allegations and if he is unable to do so slam him really, i mean really, hard.bad mouthing the police is disgraceful.

Yes,   they do a great job.

Whilst playing Fake book :coffee1:

Edited by onemorechang

Maybe the police should spend more time going after people who already have arrest warrents issued for them. You know, the kinda people who have had warrents for years and continue to commit other crimes. 

Or, the police know they're rotten and that's why they focus on nonsense like this. 

as far as i can tell, the image of the royal thai police has hit rock-bottom long time ago. no amount of social shaming could pull their reputation any lower. i suggest that the police chief and officers under his command just do their jobs and "shame the public" back by proving them wrong.

The police do not make up the law (usually) and it is unfair to criticize them for having to enforcing a law that they did not create. That being said, if the purpose of this law is to reduce road deaths it will be ineffective because the vast majority of road deaths in Thailand involve motorcycles or passengers on motorcycles.

How often to you read or hear about pickup bed passengers being killed in an accident?

Edited by Ahab
add text

It should be impossible to defame the RTP. Nothing you say about them can be worse than the truth about them.

Actually, saying something like "the RTP is honest hard working police force" should be criminal.

Maybe they can spend less time hiding behind trees at a major busy intersection booking frustrated drivers 400 baht for going straight when in a left hand lane which is for left turns only, frustrated drivers go up the inside lane not to push in, but because the traffic with big trucks is backed up all the way back past HomePro and it takes at least 6  traffic light changes to get through, wonder who is controlling the lights.

They might be going softly softly in the pick up saga, but not in other areas.

:sorry: Did some one tell the truth

I invite this officer to put on regular  clothes hope on the back of my bike and ride around the moat in Chiang Mai with me for a day then see what he has to say about his force   :shock1:

Police forces around the world are criticized daily on Facebook but you dont hear them getting all sensitive and crying.  They are mature enough to not let petty little things get under thier skin.  The RTP should stop acting like spoilt children and get on with policing.   Mum Jimmy is still looking at me, oh and mow he is making faces at me mum

I think you are all being very unkind. Please stop suggesting the Thai Police are anything but honest and professional. All you are doing is hurting Thai hearts which must be restored to wholeness by chasing down all such criticisms.

13 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

The Thai “police” bring shame upon themselves and their country across the world’s media every day.

It’s about the only thing they are good at.

They also prove they don't think before they act.  This guy obviously didn't realise that by opening his mouth he has got people rolling on floor laughing and the criticism has increased a hundred fold.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

catch him, ask him to prove his allegations and if he is unable to do so slam him really, i mean really, hard.bad mouthing the police is disgraceful.

Are you for real?   The good name of the police?   Why don't you have a quiet chat with some other Thais and your eyes could possibly be opened, although I suspect that with comments like those you made, your eyes are probably super-glued shut.

If, on the other hand, you were being sarcastic, which would make your post more understandable, I apologise.

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

One wonders if such fragile egos should be working for the Police.

Maybe he should join some of my ex colleagues in the UK Police Force for a training day and see what they have to put up with.

The Daily Mail published accusations against Mrs Trump that were untrue and have had to pay around $3 million in damages for doing so. I think the FB posters might get off a little more lightly for doing exactly the same. It is all too easy to make irresponsible accusations on social media and a hefty fine might discourage them from doing it again.