Udon Thani police chief goes after Facebook poster who he says defamed the force

webfact

3 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Posters did not create the reputation of the RTP. The RTP has done that every well over the years all by itself. The police should accept the public perception about them and make a concerted effort over the next decade to change this perception ... which is unlikely to happen, of course, so the police should not get upset by public perception.

I agree but the police accepting the perception but a decade is not enough. Unfortunately there is a hierarchy system here and the BIB are well aware of that. The BIB also are a bit smarter than you give the credit for. They know the people are there to donate but you just cannot ask for to much all at once thus you have selective policing. Its similar to donating blood. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ahab said:

The police do not make up the law (usually) and it is unfair to criticize them for having to enforcing a law that they did not create. That being said, if the purpose of this law is to reduce road deaths it will be ineffective because the vast majority of road deaths in Thailand involve motorcycles or passengers on motorcycles.

How often to you read or hear about pickup bed passengers being killed in an accident?

Really? Their (Police) job IS to enforce the law whether they like it or not!

(My strike through)

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

One wonders if such fragile egos should be working for the Police.

Maybe he should join some of my ex colleagues in the UK Police Force for a training day and see what they have to put up with.

Yes ok  ???

Don't think we've had that ex career on this forum yet.

What concerns to me is that they also want those who 'liked' post. So now you have say anything but by just pressing a button one is regarded as a 'follower'. This is very similar to what happened the other day with foreigners apparently charged with lese majeste crimes where Thai authorities maintained that by following (on the net) such people might break the computer law and could be charged and jailed. In other words this could be seen as a further squeezing of rights.

41 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

What concerns to me is that they also want those who 'liked' post. So now you have say anything but by just pressing a button one is regarded as a 'follower'. This is very similar to what happened the other day with foreigners apparently charged with lese majeste crimes where Thai authorities maintained that by following (on the net) such people might break the computer law and could be charged and jailed. In other words this could be seen as a further squeezing of rights.

Well lets hope a couple of million click like. Those police inquiries into the likers should keep the udon police chief bogged down in mind numbing report wriring until he retires.

Thats the one flaw with prosecting likes on facebook. If a few hundred thousand click like the legal system would just collapse if the police follow through. An if they dont well their threats are just hot air. 

10 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Maybe he should join some of my ex colleagues in the UK Police Force for a training day and see what they have to put up with.

And where would you go in search of "unfragile" egos??  If only it WERE a matter of better training...

But you also have to wonder about FB members using their real names.

Edited by hawker9000

23 hours ago, Kabula said:

I've warned posters on this forum for a year about posting negative comments about the Thai Police and the Thai government.

I wonder how many had their visa extensions denied because of negative comments?

Seriously?   I think you must be part of the problem.

On ‎14‎/‎4‎/‎2560 at 7:15 AM, sahibji said:

catch him, ask him to prove his allegations and if he is unable to do so slam him really, i mean really, hard.bad mouthing the police is disgraceful.

Even if he could prove his allegations Thai defamation law is so protective of the privileged that the police would only have to obtain a court ruling that their 'reputation' had been damaged. Disgraceful!!!

It's understandable, an individual would feel upset at information they feel is incorrect, but what is the general consensus, particularly on higher profile civil servants, such as the Police, army plus politicians?

Is it more a case of individuals simply highlighting what most of the nation considers?

I'm not suggesting that the information be true. But considering the social climate, I can't help but think to myself, for a person to place such a posting, on widely viewed social media site, scrutinised by the authorities, could the post actually hold true?

Reminds of the old folk tale about the Shepard boy crying wolf.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 14/04/2017 at 9:14 AM, irwinfc said:

as far as i can tell, the image of the royal thai police has hit rock-bottom long time ago. no amount of social shaming could pull their reputation any lower. i suggest that the police chief and officers under his command just do their jobs and "shame the public" back by proving them wrong.

I would like to see that, pardon me but it will not happen. 

OK accepted.. It was a naughty statement about you Sir.

But get out there, do your job properly & maybe  get some respect back for a Police Force that 

is seen as corrupt, lazy & will not investigate anything unless paid to do so (or not to do so)

The question needs to be asked, was the fines being issued @ 20  to 60 thousand Baht under section 44 correct and if so under who's authority, or can anyone issue a section 44 willy nilly...........................................:coffee1:

On 4/14/2017 at 6:58 AM, edwinchester said:

The "UK Police Force".

That's a new one. Must've missed that being set up.

You can see why this country has not developed or ever will with plonkers like this around, I was going to use the world childlike but that would be an insult to childlike people and this lot have not reached such a high level yet. He has insulted himself here Mr Stupid, but most coppers around here have only dinosaur brains