Songkran death toll now claims 167 lives and 1,795 injuries in three days

Jonathan Fairfield

You have to look beyond the reported numbers for the real picture. Why? Well, my understanding is that the reported deaths are deaths that occur at the scene of the accident and are recorded as deceased at the scene of the accident. It does not include those who make it to an ambulance and then die later from injuries sustained. I would imagine there may be quite a few more of those to add the list. Bottom-line, even these terrible numbers may be even higher.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, cooked said:

I write this every year: 28 000 road fatalities each year = 78 per day.

So 167 fatalities in three days instead of 224, while bad, is a relief (ha ha... the police will be claiming that their actions were successful).

Exactly right yet every year so much outrage over the "seven deadly days" when in reality it's the 365 deadly days.

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And so the total creeps ever higher. 79 dead in a single day is just horrific.What is wrong with Thai people?

The police, for once, have actually started doing their job, but the Thais have obviously not taken note of the call for safer driving at all!

I would dearly love to know how many of the dead over the last three days were travelling in the back of a pick up truck.

Every single one of those should be on the PM's conscience for backing down on the ban.

You are missing the real point and that is that there die about 26 000 people every year on Thai roads which gives you 71 people per day on average. This figure is higher than the normal death rate during the 7 deadly days. The whole Songkran effort is to hide the truth and that is that Thai roads are dangerous every day due to the lack of law enforcement. The job of government is to manage its resource 365 days a year not only 7 days. This concept however is foreign to the lazy police that only catches people not wearing helmets and hide in the shade. Active enforcement of speed limits, DUI roadblocks, driving on the wrong side of the road, overtaking vehicles in prohibited areas and finally a very easy solution that lower the death rate by at least 5% switch on vehicles headlights when driving (Thai's have night vision because they drive at the dark of night without lights).

Personally, I don't believe any of these figures. If someone dies in a motor accident down in Yala or any remote areas like that the figures won't reach Bangkok in a month.

I don't believe most Thais have the skill, ability or quick reaction time to be good drivers. That cannot change without correct training. We have all seen them in the Government testing centres on the green light/red light reaction test. I have seen many times it go off the top before they get their feet to the brake pedal. I think eyesight is also a problem. Many drive here without glasses that they clearly need.

6 minutes ago, Fatboysrule said:

In all of Australia for March 2017 there were a total of 91 deaths on the road. I guess it comes down the education, training and law enforcement. 

You are quite correct. There is very little of the 3 items you mentioned happening here. But 91 is still too many for a population of about a third of Thailand's. The roads in Australia are an absolute disgrace. Every time someone dies on a road in Australia the Politicians should hang their heads in shame. There is no excuse given the amount of fuel taxes paid there for the roads to be nothing less than perfect. 

43 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

You have to look beyond the reported numbers for the real picture. Why? Well, my understanding is that the reported deaths are deaths that occur at the scene of the accident and are recorded as deceased at the scene of the accident. It does not include those who make it to an ambulance and then die later from injuries sustained. I would imagine there may be quite a few more of those to add the list. Bottom-line, even these terrible numbers may be even higher.

What you have to do IamNoone, is look beyond what you read on this forum. Please go visit this website and be informed.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2016/

Have a safe day.

Sadly the Songkran Tally is only marginally above the daily estimated average of about 45 deaths a day.  Looking at the kids zipping around on motorbikes playing songkran without helmets - surprised and relieved they kept it so low.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Sadly the Songkran Tally is only marginally above the daily estimated average of about 45 deaths a day.  Looking at the kids zipping around on motorbikes playing songkran without helmets - surprised and relieved they kept it so low.

So right. We look down on Srinakarin Rd in Bangkok and have been watching large groups of kids going past us of 40 or 50 riders over the last 2 days. Almost all are not wearing helmets. Just 3 or 4 bikes. Its great to see them having a good time. I just wish they would understand the importance of protecting themselves with helmets, gloves etc.

16 hours ago, samsensam said:

the fact that there isn't, and never has been, anyone in this country prepared to take responsibility and do something to stop this carnage is simply stunning.

Don't be too hard on them, Thais don't do responsibility. It's just not in their DNA. 

15 hours ago, Broken Record said:

http://asirt.org/initiatives/informing-road-users/road-safety-facts/road-crash-statistics

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

• Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
  •  

167 in 3 days in Thailand leaves 9,694 dead on the roads outside Thailand.

Lots of accidents in lots of countries, luckily countries like UK have few motorcycles compared with countries like Thailand, and a massive percentage of deaths are down to motorcyclists.

But carry on the Thai bashing, the forum needs threads like this.

It's not Thai bashing, it's facts. Thailand will never learn. 

A selfish country.

16 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Wonder what the families of the dead think about songkran

and do they continue the same behaviour the following year

As they say the lesson is repeated UNTIL it is LEARNED

MAI PEN RAI--YOU NO UNNERSTAAAAAAN THAI PEE--POLE! :wai:

A young lad across the road from me was killed on his bike, driving drunk until he was stopped by a utility pole by the road that removed half his face. The next day his brother was out riding on the wrong side, no helmet....... So no, no lessons will be learned. My wife tells me not to get upset by this stuff as everyone is going to die anyway. And that is why no-one cares. Different mentality.

Yes, this is a real carnage and totally agree. Is different mentality, and I would like to know the budget for the investiment in road safety, road repares, signage and speed control of Thai gov.
I doubt if in Thai school, they have some kind of education for the future with regards to road safety.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

They could drastically reduce the statistic by banning motorbikes for a few days, but then they'd move on to something else that needs to be made safer, then something else, and then before you know it Thailand has become the next Australia where everything is a fine and life is boring and then you negative nancies will complain about how boring it has become and how you want to move to Cambodia or some other third world country with a cheap, relaxed life style and then repeat the process of complaining until things are safer and more boring and then you'll eventually die of old age. <deleted> just save yourselves some time and leave now. 

I think the road accident /death figures are far from correct.   The numbers could be skimmed to suit the PM and as someone stated above the rush hour is on before the 7 days of carnage.  The roads are heaving then when the vehicles reach their destination as at my house , the tossers start tossing water and only go home when the roads are safer. One good thing up here in woop woop far less tossers than on previous years , rain stopped play.

How do you change a culture? Slowly consistently over a longer term. Cannot happen when there are repeated coups and new governments that change Constitutions and basic laws every few years. The country's selfish Elites including Military leaders are responsible for the current status quo.

You don't need to change the whole culture....you just need the police to enforce all the laws all the time. It works in a multitude of other countries in the world...no reason it can't work here.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Toshiba66 said:

Personally, I don't believe any of these figures. If someone dies in a motor accident down in Yala or any remote areas like that the figures won't reach Bangkok in a month.

I don't believe most Thais have the skill, ability or quick reaction time to be good drivers. That cannot change without correct training. We have all seen them in the Government testing centres on the green light/red light reaction test. I have seen many times it go off the top before they get their feet to the brake pedal. I think eyesight is also a problem. Many drive here without glasses that they clearly need.

"I don't believe most Thais have the skill, ability or quick reaction time to be good drivers".

You missed out two more important things, the "mentality" and "common sense".

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

luckily countries like UK have few motorcycles compared with countries like Thailand

Meaning what?

Are you serious ?

You can't understand that if the UK had the same amount of people on motorcycles as Thailand has, the UK RTA death toll would be much higher than it is ? :saai:

56 minutes ago, RtotheC said:

They could drastically reduce the statistic by banning motorbikes for a few days, but then they'd move on to something else that needs to be made safer, then something else, and then before you know it Thailand has become the next Australia where everything is a fine and life is boring and then you negative nancies will complain about how boring it has become and how you want to move to Cambodia or some other third world country with a cheap, relaxed life style and then repeat the process of complaining until things are safer and more boring and then you'll eventually die of old age. <deleted> just save yourselves some time and leave now. 

I really try hard not to be a negative nancy  and have driven here  for about 7 years without an accident- pushing my luck I know! But it's so upsetting when I see those lovely youngsters riding their motorbikes careering along far too  quickly, without a crash hat or any protective clothing. I  often want to call out to them to take care but........

18 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Wonder what the families of the dead think about songkran

and do they continue the same behaviour the following year

As they say the lesson is repeated UNTIL it is LEARNED

MAI PEN RAI--YOU NO UNNERSTAAAAAAN THAI PEE--POLE! :wai:

In Thailand they don't learn the lesson, you can repeat it a thousand times & they still won't get it.
most countries do learn from their mistakes & lay the blame firmly on the accident & prevent it from happening again.
here they quote bad luck, karma, Buddha's will, in fact anything except the truth

which is... drink driving, speeding, unsafe driving practices, in fact the list is endless.
And yes next year they will have forgotten it all & repeat the process.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

In Thailand they don't learn the lesson, you can repeat it a thousand times & they still won't get it.
most countries do learn from their mistakes & lay the blame firmly on the accident & prevent it from happening again.

1.25 Million people  die yearly on the worlds roads, in Thailand say....25,000 road deaths in a year, outside Thailand 1,225,000, seems like the world isn't learning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Edited by Broken Record

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And so the total creeps ever higher. 79 dead in a single day is just horrific.What is wrong with Thai people?

The police, for once, have actually started doing their job, but the Thais have obviously not taken note of the call for safer driving at all!

I would dearly love to know how many of the dead over the last three days were travelling in the back of a pick up truck.

Every single one of those should be on the PM's conscience for backing down on the ban.

actually about 70 people on average die per day on the roads in thailand so 79 is not so bad compared to the rest of the year.

6 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

1.25 Million people  die yearly on the worlds roads, in Thailand say....25,000 road deaths in a year, outside Thailand 1,225,000, seems like the world isn't learning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Thailand is second in the world behind Libya per 100,000 inhabitants. Must be bad there. The world isn't learning but here is clearly a massive problem.

19 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Thailand 68 millions people

France 67 millions people

Thailand three days on the roads = 167 dead people

France all march 2017 = 31 days = 266 dead people and it's a very bad result if we compare with last year .

Don't forget there are so many more cars and trucks and coaches in France than in Thailand ...Find the mistake ...:post-4641-1156693976:

80% of accidents involve small motorcycles in Thailand. How many said bikes are on the roads in France? You need to compare like for like - compare sedan accidents / deaths between both countries to be able to make valid comparisons. Bikes are inherently more dangerous than cars, regardless of how skilled  the rider may think they are. 

This Easter 2017 M25 England 

Traffic on the M25 was brought to a standstill this morning after a car overturned

The M5 at Bristol was extremely busy this morning as people make head start and travel to places such as Devon and Cornwall for the Bank Holiday weekend

M5 Easter 2017

People trying to get to Heathrow last night said they were stuck in queues for an hour

On the way to airport Easter 2017

And last year;

For the UK  2016 the report was;

Easter 2016

The official Easter holiday period for 2016 began at 4pm Thursday 24 March and ended at 6am Tuesday 29 March.

Over Easter weekend 2016 there were 4 fatal crashes resulting in 4 deaths.

The 4 deaths were:

2 drivers

1 passenger

1 pedestrian (skateboarder).

What I don't see is lots of...what?

So @ Broken Record, I hardly thin we're Thai bashing, eh?