buying a small business for girlfriend

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Well, you certainly have a dim view of Thai women--or is it just bar-girls?

The first questions I would have are;  is your gf smart enough to learn, is she lazy, how does she keep your house, is she able to budget her money, can she think logically and act accordingly. If I didn't see the correct answers to those questions in spades; I wouldn't even consider a business. 

Logic and Thai just dont go together, unless of course we are talking 'Thai logic'. As for 'keeping the house' that would already be a dead cert.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, merlen10002 said:

If you buy her a small business I give it three months to go bust, maybe being a kind , I know been there done that, have a look at how many small business are trying to sell that type of stuff, millions, same as selling food , on every soi and again millions, good way to waste money stuff the relationship. because it will your fault it did not work, not hers.  

Wise old saying 'A fool and his money are easily parted'. 

4 hours ago, philliphn said:

Invest in her education. This way she can get a job and earn a better living. Pay for her to learn to speak the English language proficiently.

Cambridge, Harvard, Oxford? Have to be honest, the Thai education system is to say the least Mickey mouse. As for learning English, that would earn her one hell of an income chatting to clients in the bar, as she would have the edge over the usual three conversation killing  questions 'where you come from... what your name and how long you be here'.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

On 4/16/2017 at 2:27 AM, oldcarguy said:

where would you find a detailed business plan template in Thai  to fill out ?  or in English if there is none in Thai !

Are there any YouTube channels in Thai that tell how to open and run a small business ?

I think that most of these Thais would love to understand the right way to do it ,

there is just not a place for them to learn without getting "help" from the competition.

Where do they find real info about starting a small business ?

'

My friend's wife just attended a two week course provided by the Thai government on running a small business.  She is very successful and has two shops already selling tourist oriented merchandise in Phuket town and Patong Beach.  She is presently negotiating to open a much larger shop. The downside for my friend is that he never sees his wife. She goes to work around 13:00 and returns home usually after midnite.  Even though she has relatives as managers she must be there alllll the time. They have a couple of hours together around lunchtime.  My friend's wife is a Chinese Thai and not an Isarn farm girl.

1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Logic and Thai just dont go together, unless of course we are talking 'Thai logic'. As for 'keeping the house' that would already be a dead cert.

Well, I'd have to ask you the same question I asked tomwct; are you talking about bar-girls? Logic is not Western in origin; even the great Greek logician Aristotle learned from the Chinese and Indians. Buddhism itself is logical; certainly more so than Islam, Christianity and Judaism 

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

.Money in/out, stock, bar fines and tips,etc, etc.

Barfines...and tips? While we know, almost all of us, that charging barfines is pimping and worse in cases where you cut the ladies wages, invasion of the tips by "manager" and/or "owner"? Does it get any worse?

As to I think it was your gracious inquriy about girls making 100,000. Baht a month, as I indicated for young and nice looking ones, it's easily done. In addition to the unsuspecting crowd that sends money back to the tune of 10-50,000. Baht a month, many, well some...make nearly 100K simply by dating online. Most of the Thai online dating websites are simply offers of prostitution in Pattaya anyhow. So mate, it's certainly possible and being done. Sure, there is a limited time span and we can never assume 30 days a month. I just went by blow row in Pattaya and two ladies were outside buying Som Tom. They can easily do three or four tricks there as they were alluring, sort of cute, ahd the smile guys go for(not me). God Bless You and thank you for getting out of the pimp business. It doesn't suit you mate. It's for the worst of the worst Thai people, not farangs. 

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Just give her an allowance of 8000 baht a month. Tell her that's as much as she could hope to earn in any legitimate business. If she won't accept that, time to put on the Reeboks/Nike/ASICS.

She has to really love you to stay for that pittance mate. If that's all you willing/able to give you won't be wearing designer shoes either. God Bless You.

How many women in the West open a boutique with no experience and quickly go broke? Some make it but most don't. The only difference in Thailand is that the losses are minimal, particularly if the venue is just a street stall rented by the day. Give the girl a chance to become self sufficient and perhaps provide for the both of you. It will cost less than giving her money whenever she aska.

2 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

She has to really love you to stay for that pittance mate. If that's all you willing/able to give you won't be wearing designer shoes either. God Bless You.

Seems you don't live here...?

Dont need 300k to set up a small business selling clothes. Ex gf did it with less than 150k with a small unit at union mall level 3. Includes 3 months upfront rental, some small decorations, hangers, printing and 2xmannequin. First batch of stock was abt 80k. Not just clothes, with some small accessories necklace ear rings, small purse, coin bag, etc. 

She really needs to mend the shop herself and not hire any staff at all for the firsf year. Its very tiring and boring during day time from 11am to 4pm there maybe zero sales. People start coming in to shop after 5pm but in union mall the shop has to stay open from 11am. Every week for twice when she neeeds to restock she wakes up at 6am take mrt to yaowarat for accessories and handbag then to pratunam for clothes then back to open shop. Then after 10pm she needs to go back pratunam to collect her clothes stock and next day be at shop earlier to organize her new stock.

I know its not easy at all because i spend about 2weeks with her everyday at the shop. But she was very very determined. After 2 years of struggling she is doing better now, she has a shop in union mall and suan lum night bazaar and in some certain night at some night market. Her typical day usually start from 7am to 11pm. She does most of everything by herself and hires 2 part timer now and makes only about max 40k a month.

Ask yourself is your gf reallly hardworking or is she just thinking of hiring some staff to run the show. 

Its doable but don't expect it to be easy or will make lots of money. 

Edited by andytyl

7 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Barfines...and tips? While we know, almost all of us, that charging barfines is pimping and worse in cases where you cut the ladies wages, invasion of the tips by "manager" and/or "owner"? Does it get any worse?

As to I think it was your gracious inquriy about girls making 100,000. Baht a month, as I indicated for young and nice looking ones, it's easily done. In addition to the unsuspecting crowd that sends money back to the tune of 10-50,000. Baht a month, many, well some...make nearly 100K simply by dating online. Most of the Thai online dating websites are simply offers of prostitution in Pattaya anyhow. So mate, it's certainly possible and being done. Sure, there is a limited time span and we can never assume 30 days a month. I just went by blow row in Pattaya and two ladies were outside buying Som Tom. They can easily do three or four tricks there as they were alluring, sort of cute, ahd the smile guys go for(not me). God Bless You and thank you for getting out of the pimp business. It doesn't suit you mate. It's for the worst of the worst Thai people, not farangs. 

Brucie,

By that rationale then old friend, you have never, ever, ever bar fined a girl then. Sorry, but its the way it is.I never have considered my self a pimp! Its a tradition that has been in this country since the Vietnam war, and will never stop. And i dont know if "nearly all of us know that bar fine is pimping and maybe worse" And, no! it doesn't get any worse in my case, because we never cut any girls wages, or nicked their tips, or thier lady drinks, we counted ourselves lucky that they worked for us, if we had done what you say, they would have had it on their toes, a bit live'o, me old china plate. So you are way out of line there.Also, you surprise me, you should know that as an anonymous forum, everybody can be whiter than white and say "'pon my souls sir, Barfines? never paid, one, never paid for sex. so that's a load of old cods.And sorry but that remark counts for nothing. Holier than thou, sanctimonious and protest's too much, do come to mind though.Its like saying all Nigerians are thieves, or all Muslims are terrorists, ...All bar owners are pimps,Old pal, that doesnt make me feel bad at all. Do you tell the owner of the bar you have a pint in , that he's a pimp. i think not.I assume you do have a bevy, or ois that another avenue of pleasure that you do not subscribe to?

And i dont know as much about girls on line because i dont ever go down that way.But you seem to.Hmmmmm.

11 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Brucie,

By that rationale then old friend, you have never, ever, ever bar fined a girl then. Sorry, but its the way it is.I never have considered my self a pimp! Its a tradition that has been in this country since the Vietnam war, and will never stop. And i dont know if "nearly all of us know that bar fine is pimping and maybe worse" And, no! it doesn't get any worse in my case, because we never cut any girls wages, or nicked their tips, or thier lady drinks, we counted ourselves lucky that they worked for us, if we had done what you say, they would have had it on their toes, a bit live'o, me old china plate. So you are way out of line there.Also, you surprise me, you should know that as an anonymous forum, everybody can be whiter than white and say "'pon my souls sir, Barfines? never paid, one, never paid for sex. so that's a load of old cods.And sorry but that remark counts for nothing. Holier than thou, sanctimonious and protest's too much, do come to mind though.Its like saying all Nigerians are thieves, or all Muslims are terrorists, ...All bar owners are pimps,Old pal, that doesnt make me feel bad at all. Do you tell the owner of the bar you have a pint in , that he's a pimp. i think not.I assume you do have a bevy, or ois that another avenue of pleasure that you do not subscribe to?

And i dont know as much about girls on line because i dont ever go down that way.But you seem to.Hmmmmm.

Lucy? 

Edited by ajarngreg

22 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Perhaps she does. However, I can assure you she's also one of the richest women in the village on that amount.

The closest I get to designer shoes is ECCO lightweights for golf.

7 hours ago, Saladin said:

My advice is to stop listening to all the negative crap from Farang who have never started a business or taken a risk in their life and whose valuable time is spent drinking booze and denigrating all Thai women. 

Oh great sultan of Egypt, should not one practice and hone ones skills prior to putting chisel to precious bone?  The man is expressing caution as he will finance his girlfriend's venture, and it will put a strain on their relationship.   He shows prudence.  

At the same time,  trying something is better than doing nothing.  Perhaps the purchase of a sewing machine, used.

Edited by yellowboat

5 hours ago, Tony125 said:

As a newbie I guess you don't know how things work around here. The girls are not making 100,000 from wages or service to farangs from the bar they are making it from 1 to 6 or more farang boyfriends who send 10 to 35 thousand baht or more every month to their Thai darling to help out or not to work bar. I know a girl who was getting 35, 000 baht every month from an Australian guy not to work bar. He found out she was still working told her to stop she said no. I asked he why not stay home just take the money she said boring and can make more money here.

And for the original topic don't think its a good idea to open a business for her , sorry just my opiion

A newbie? Ha! Ive been here 17 years mate, had 2 bars in Patts and now live in happy retirement that my businesses here helped pay for.

I am not sure that the stories about guys sending money here is so true anymore. I think that guys have got wise to that trick now,you seem to know a lot about it? do you send dosh here. I dont know much about on line girls or working students looking for sugar daddies,because i have no interest in it.And if they are getting 100,000 baht a month, i say good luck, cos it's pratts that are paying it.
But i did have to laugh when you called me a newbie.:cheesy::cheesy: You should read my post, because i dont think its a good idea either, and sorry, that's my opinion too.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
Additional content

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Brucie,

Wow..where do we start? Well to save computer space let's say some of us approach the line but don't cross it. Since you never nicked their wages, tips, or lady drinks I remain at a loss why you mentioned "tips" in your other post. But it doesn't matter mate. We are a little off topic and don't want to step on fingers. I appreciate your candor and posts on here. Enjoy the concert mate. (I drink in Thai bars but you go ahead, drink where you want).OO

46 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I am not sure that the stories about guys sending money here is so true anymore. I think that guys have got wise to that trick now,you seem to know a lot about it? do you send dosh here. 

Dave, a lot of guys still send money. And I don't mean once. I mean monthly and usually/often for a year or more. It would surprise you. I met one guy distraught because he found some other guys on her facebook account. She was working in a massage parlor on Soi Buikow but promised him she did "only massage", no "special or extra". He believed her to the point this recent trip was to arrange marriage and for some reason, prepay the dowry(300,000. Baht). That damn facebook ruined it all mate. God Bless You and Him. OO

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Perhaps she does. However, I can assure you she's also one of the richest women in the village on that amount.

The closest I get to designer shoes is ECCO lightweights for golf.

I'm quite happy for you and her even if you built that house in the village. There isn't any gambling in the villages either so all the best mate. Yes, I know 8000.Baht can exceed the wages of those harvesting rice and sugarcane. God Bless You and all in the villages. 

1 minute ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Dave, a lot of guys still send money. And I don't mean once. I mean monthly and usually/often for a year or more. It would surprise you. I met one guy distraught because he found some other guys on her facebook account. She was working in a massage parlor on Soi Buikow but promised him she did "only massage", no "special or extra". He believed her to the point this recent trip was to arrange marriage and for some reason, prepay the dowry(300,000. Baht). That damn facebook ruined it all mate. God Bless You and Him. OO

There are birds around who've got a few guys sending them money monthly.

Love/ Horniness seems to make blind and deaf. 

52 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I dont know much about on line girls or working students looking for sugar daddies,

Students looking for sugar daddies is a much different game mate. It isn't straight forward pay for play. She has to know it's confidential and discrete. It requires a guy with class and substance. Cheers mate.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

"nearly all of us know that bar fine is pimping and maybe worse" ,

...All bar owners are pimps,

We are a little off topic which is frowned upon. So mate, you search out human trafficking and Angeles City Philippines and see what you come up with. It's been tested up and down the courts, not only of public opinion but of legal process, and well mate, figure out if 10 years to life is worth the risk of pimping in SEA? Sorry to digress and good luck to the OP and his lady opening a business. People have to eat and sleep which is where I always invested my money. Did quite well if I don't mind saying so OO. 

Just posting this here means that you know nothing enough to waste your money.

You seem to have no experience and smart thinking about anything involve to do a business, just forget it !

6 minutes ago, abab said:

Just posting this here means that you know nothing enough to waste your money.

You seem to have no experience and smart thinking about anything involve to do a business, just forget it !

It's just the internet mate. Many a farang has come in here thinking he could out smart the locals with his business acumen. The funny or is it sad part is...he has to keep giving her money regardless if the business is profitable or not. If she really wants to work vs. hire someone else to run it, great for them both. OO