Best Thai Visa to live and run business with Wife in Thailand

Lots of people quote what the rules and laws are regarding visas, extensions and WP' and 99% of the time they are correct.

My take on it is that the law or rule that is applied at any specific establishment or time is the interpretation made at that time and place by the official stating that rule or law.

I rely on nothing being exactly the same as it was the last time I dealt with it.

• Like 1

Clear advice on this site on the requirements: http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Marriage-Visa.php

The only difficult thing is opening a bank account in your sole name to deposit the 400,000 baht for seasoning if you are outside the country, to support the extension to the marriage visa, but if you are in country, then it is easier. Leaving the country is no needed as far as I know to get the marriage extension.

Once you have a marriage visa/extension, then you can think about the work permit. My wife formed our company and she employs me, have to have I think two Thai employees per foreigner for a spouse company compared with four or five for a normal company to get a work permit for a foreigner. Have to have minimum salary of 25,000 baht a month for the foreigner and 2 million share capital (not all paid up). I used an agent for the work permit, very straightforward, and most of the extensive application form did not need to be filled out. Please check the amounts as I may have remembered incorrectly. 

13 hours ago, rushdentillidie said:

Hi Thanks for the reply's

By the sound of things the Entry Non-O visa would seems to be the best option at the given moment.  Would this allow for the opening of a bank account and Thai driving licence? Given that this can also be applied for in the UK seems to be the best option. As it will mostly likely be the 2nd half of the year before we move over there.

You can open a bank account and get a Thai driving licence on a tourist visa, so you'll have no problem on a spousal visa.

Those are the easy part.   The harder part will be the setup of the business and getting yourself a work permit.

My advice would be to never mention the UK based business you plan to manage remotely.   They don't need to know about that. 

The only business you need to mention is the resort and the work you do related to that.   Online work you just keep quiet about.

None of it is as hard as some people will make out, especially as you are young.   The older chaps seem to get very upset when they run into Thai Bureaucracy, for no apparent reason except perhaps they have high blood pressure.

Best of luck.

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

No visa will let you work, you need a work permit.

I got mine 9 years ago with extension of non-O visa based on marriage.

Sorry, it was of course meant to be able to apply for a work permit. Have you read the whole text? 

14 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

You can open a bank account and go for the Thai driver's license on a Multiple Entry Non-O visa, good for one year. You can even stretch it to 15 months when you leave the country shortly before it expires.

Apply for an IDP before you come to LOS, it might make all easier and you're allowed to drive here. But you should still go for the Thai license, just in case of an accident.

Try to save as much money as possible, many things have gotten really expensive here. You never know how good your business will run and to make money here, you have to invest a lot money to satisfy customers who have money.

Focus on Thai customers, once you've got many Thais who like your place, you'll have more and more customers. 

There'll be so many expenses you haven't even thought about yet, I'm sure. Take your time and talk it through before you arrive.

Here's the address and phone number of Peppers: <contact by PM for info>

Cheers- 

Sorry, Joe. had no idea that this isn't allowed. 

You can open a bank account and get a Thai driving licence on a tourist visa, so you'll have no problem on a spousal visa.

Really? I enquired in KTB recently and they said not a chance on a tourist visa. I also heard driving license is not possible on TV also.

16 minutes ago, Nakrob said:

Really? I enquired in KTB recently and they said not a chance on a tourist visa. I also heard driving license is not possible on TV also.

Most, if not all banks in LOS want to see a Non Immigrant visa to open up a bank account and also the the Land Transport offices are eager to see such a type of visa.

It's sad that people here post wrong information, 

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Those are the easy part.   The harder part will be the setup of the business and getting yourself a work permit.

My advice would be to never mention the UK based business you plan to manage remotely.   They don't need to know about that. 

The only business you need to mention is the resort and the work you do related to that.   Online work you just keep quiet about.

None of it is as hard as some people will make out, especially as you are young.   The older chaps seem to get very upset when they run into Thai Bureaucracy, for no apparent reason except perhaps they have high blood pressure.

Best of luck.

You can't open a bank account and get a Thai driving licence on a tourist visa, but you'll have no problem on a (Non-O) spousal visa. 

It's fascinating to see how you pulled out the OP's online work? 

Edited by ajarngreg

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is nonsense. Only Poi Pet and Ranong has been reported as making a problem for doing them. People do them all the time at other crossings without a problem.

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

At Poipet you can't even do one so I wouldn't rely on it more than twice at any other land border.

Not to be rude,but I just get visa exempted entry on 19/3 and my friend twice on 22/2 & 22/3 at poi pet crossing.

55 minutes ago, Nakrob said:

Try other bank.

I open a bank account on visa exempted entry.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stevensg said:

Not to be rude,but I just get visa exempted entry on 19/3 and my friend twice on 22/2 & 22/3 at poi pet crossing.

Different situation. At Poipet I was talking about the fact they no longer allow you to do out/in on a multi entry visa to activate your next 90 days. Visa exempt entry is totally different.

1 hour ago, ajarngreg said:

Most, if not all banks in LOS want to see a Non Immigrant visa to open up a bank account and also the the Land Transport offices are eager to see such a type of visa.

Rubbish.   

If one branch turns you down try another.

Kasikorn bank is very friendly in Bangkok, if you have issues ask a Thai friend to go with you and ask on your behalf.   You do have Thai friends right?  

And if you really need help contact  http://bangkokhelper.com/   or try https://www.facebook.com/Tiktokservices/ 

1 hour ago, ajarngreg said:

You can't open a bank account and get a Thai driving licence on a tourist visa, but you'll have no problem on a (Non-O) spousal visa. 

I've had a bank account for 8 years and I've lived in Bangkok on tourist visas the whole time.   

And the OP in his opening post said he and his wife were planning to run a business they started in the UK, whilst in Thailand.... so how is it odd I "pulled out the OP's online work" ?   Lots of people work online.

Thanks everyone for all you feedback, lots of reading and to take in. Just to confirm our marriage is registered in the Thailand and the Thai business will be set up in her name. Which will hopefully make s things easier, we are back across for 3 weeks in July so will be looking at a few potential  properties in Pattaya, and carry out further research. 

Once again thanks for all you help and comments

19 hours ago, Mattd said:

Apply for and get a single entry Non O Visa, obtain 90 days upon entry, around 30 days prior to this entry expiring go to Immigration and apply for a one year extension based on marriage, in theory only two trips to immigration and costing 1,900 THB plus copies and transport etc. Stay here without having to depart and do the 90 day reports as normal.

The way you are suggesting means an additional trip to immigration to convert the tourist entry in to a Non O entry PRIOR to being able to apply for the extension based on marriage and involves more cost and hassle without a doubt!

Totally agree with Mattd and Joe as this is the way I did it, however I didn't open a business, as businesses are time consuming, restrictive IMO and can go south.

Have you tried opening a share account in the UK to buy and sell shares, its easy, and is not restrictive, as you can buy and sell (trade) from anywhere and make some serious coin to live happily ever after in the LOS, also there is no tax payable if your a foreign resident (AUS), so if you are interested, check out the tax laws in the UK for foreign residents as you might be on a good thing.

Sure there is a risk, as there is with anything, but if you do things right, like, don't put all of your eggs in the one basket, don't panic, invest right, your as free as a bird.

Good Luck

Edited by 4MyEgo

11 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Yes it is!

Just read a Banks website for required conditions to open a bank account first.

Bangkok bank will open a Savings account with debit card, even on a Visa exempt entry provided you meet their criteria.

As the OP is from the UK, BKK would be first option to do cheaper transfers through the London branch.

1. If you hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant (long-stay) visa
    Long-stay foreigners including all Non-immigrant visas (B, ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, and SE) and Diplomatic Officer Courtesy, but excluding MT, S and LA.

Tourists include the following visa types: Tourist, Transit, Visa on Arrival, Exemption Visa, Non-Immigrant MT
    and S.
  2. Passport
  • ONE of the following documents:
    • A letter of reference from one of the following:
      • Embassy or international organization
      • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
      • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
      • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
      • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
      • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit
    • Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Getting a DL is even possible on a visa exempt entry.

" It's sad that people here post wrong information,  "

• Like 1

you can get a work permit to help your wife in her business, if you have a extension based on married with a Thai, easy if they see that you are married long time and you run business in UK already together, nothing to do with IMO only with labour office. But only easy if your wife doesn´t have a limited company, otherwise the company has to do the work permit and then 4 Thai workers, 2 Million capital and high salary and only jobs allowed for foreigners

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not at Poipet and Ranong you can't.

Poipet stopped allowing 90 day out/in  a while ago. I used that crossing a couple of times a year over the past 10 years but a new boss there stopped people doing that a while ago. Now I just stick to flying out for a weekend to neighbouring countries as the airports are the most reliable places with reference to no sudden changes to catch you out.

?

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Getting a DL is even possible on a visa exempt entry.

" It's sad that people here post wrong information,  "

According to the DLT website a Non Imm Visa is required even  for the first temporary 2 year licence.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/

However the only thing consistent in Thailand is the inconsistency, so it really depends whether your local DLT centre enforces the rules or not.

6 minutes ago, dentonian said:

According to the DLT website a Non Imm Visa is required even  for the first temporary 2 year licence.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/

However the only thing consistent in Thailand is the inconsistency, so it really depends whether your local DLT centre enforces the rules or not.

What rules? Lol