Residence Certificates - Chiang Mai

FolkGuitar

What size, background color and number of copies of the face photo are required please.

What is the time slot for submitting an application?

Many thanks.

Edited by davehowden
Adding details

I did it just last week...

If you want the expedited Cert. of Res. , you go to office number 7  with your documents.

I downloaded the application form and supplied copies of passport data, last entry stamp, TM7, and latest extension stamp, plus a copy of our Tabien Bahn. Two copies of an oldish photo on a white background. I went at about 14.30 hrs and went back at 14.00 hrs the following day for the completed Certificate.

15 hours ago, rawhod said:

If you want the expedited Cert. of Res. , you go to office number 7  with your documents.

I downloaded the application form and supplied copies of passport data, last entry stamp, TM7, and latest extension stamp, plus a copy of our Tabien Bahn. Two copies of an oldish photo on a white background. I went at about 14.30 hrs and went back at 14.00 hrs the following day for the completed Certificate.

Just a walk down memory lane. A  couple of years back,before I woke up to myself and got  a yellow book ,I needed a residency certificate  and went to the old building then opp Promenda.It was around lunchtime and the pleasant young guy, who now works for GT 4, said he could do it while I waited.

He sat at the computer and it took him all of 3 minutes to insert my name and address on the template and print it out , and it was free.

Fast forward 2-3 years the same certificate costs 500 baht and takes 24 hours requiring obviously another trip to Promenda to collect.

One would think that for 500 baht for 3 minutes work it could be done while you wait or are my expectations unrealistic

Five years ago when I did my first renewal of my Thai driving licence, I went to Immigration at the old office near the Airport for a Residence certificate. I handed in my copies and a completed form at the desk, paid my 500 baht, and within the hour had my Certificate of Residence.

I also paid my 500 baht for a Certificate of Residence on several occasions over the years in attempts to obtain a Yellow Book from the Kweng Office in Nong Hoi, but, as the boss there kept changing the requirement in order, it seemed, to frustrate my attempts, I never was able to get a Yellow Book.

So, to the people who come on here and say "Get a yellow book and you have no need for a Certificate of Residence", I suppose I am envious of those people who can get the book with minimum of effort...

To answer "Sparkles", If the certificate is produced in "Office number 7", I presume it has to go into Immigration proper for the stamp and signature.

I went to the desk (not office number 7) for Cert of Res yesterday (16 August) to make an appointment to be "interviewed". It's the same room as TM30 updates, 2nd floor (1st floor for Brits), around the corner to your left from the GT4 office.

I was given a date of 22 August for said interview and told I could then collect the document in a further 2 weeks, at any time on that appointed day. I was also given a list in English (attached) of the required passport copies etc. and a form to complete.

The young lady who dealt with me there spoke good English and was very polite and helpful.

I noted that  the "interview" booking book contained only about 3 or 4 entries per day.

I did see a sign that said interview bookings could only be made between 09:00 and 11:00.

And of course ever copy has to be signed.

I mention all this just to confirm what others have said.

Res Cert documents required.pdf

Edited by davehowden
Adding details

Was that the 500 baht service?

• 2 months later...

Today i tried to get a Residence Certificate from Chiang Mai immigration located on 2 floor in the Promenada shopping mall.

Being prepared with the right documents from home, i certainly did not know what to do when entering the office. After waiting a long time my number was up.

Well to cut it short i got a fine. Not a fine for me, but for my landlord (owner of the house i rent), they make YOU pay the fine, or cannot proceed. She also took my rental contract and went to lunch.

When later politely asked to give it back. The answer was an offending attitude and staff calling me drunk (In Thai) (Which is completely unacceptable in a IMM office) and then the worst was yet to come... she just completely ignored me, as if i was not there, and have turned into something not worth her attention. I had to leave with nothing but a fine.

Totally horrible experience

11 hours ago, BicycleRider said:

Today i tried to get a Residence Certificate from Chiang Mai immigration located on 2 floor in the Promenada shopping mall.

Being prepared with the right documents from home, i certainly did not know what to do when entering the office. After waiting a long time my number was up.

Well to cut it short i got a fine. Not a fine for me, but for my landlord (owner of the house i rent), they make YOU pay the fine, or cannot proceed. She also took my rental contract and went to lunch.

When later politely asked to give it back. The answer was an offending attitude and staff calling me drunk (In Thai) (Which is completely unacceptable in a IMM office) and then the worst was yet to come... she just completely ignored me, as if i was not there, and have turned into something not worth her attention. I had to leave with nothing but a fine.

You need a better barstool lawyer.

12 hours ago, BicycleRider said:

I go to Promenada about once a month to lodge a TM30 update. Almost every time there is some Foreigner

there making a fuss, typically old. They don't get any love.  It is notable how negatively and immediately Thai people react to even a slight raising of the voice or public display of anger. Better to just smile and pay.

I am still amazed at the trouble some people have dealing with the Government.

Take the time to learn how to deal with the bureaucracy, in a way that ruffles no feathers or makes any waves. Length of time this will require depends on your willingness to learn and your patience. Failing that ...

Treat it as if you are the captain of a ship. No matter how long you have been in command, when you come into port, a pilot is required. No pilot, no entry.

Altho some find the Whine and Cheese route to be more ... words fail me.

3 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

I go to Promenada about once a month to lodge a TM30 update. Almost every time there is some Foreigner

there making a fuss, typically old. They don't get any love.  It is notable how negatively and immediately Thai people react to even a slight raising of the voice or public display of anger. Better to just smile and pay.

Yeah, it's really sad how old foreigners still come to Thailand for retirement, lured by the websites promising easy living on a budget, good medical care, welcoming people, good weather, etc, etc and then are hit by the reality when they deal with Imm. Chiang Mai and discover that they are responsible for paying a fine for a report that should have been filed by the owner of the place they rent.  Sad, so sad.  

16 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Sad, so sad.  

I don't think it is the requirements of the Immigration Department that are dragging this place down.  It is more the negative attitudes that foreigners choose to adapt about so many simple issues.

On 10/25/2017 at 12:46 PM, NancyL said:

Yeah, it's really sad how old foreigners still come to Thailand for retirement, lured by the websites promising easy living on a budget, good medical care, welcoming people, good weather, etc, etc and then are hit by the reality when they deal with Imm. Chiang Mai and discover that they are responsible for paying a fine for a report that should have been filed by the owner of the place they rent.  Sad, so sad.  

IMHO it would have been sporting had  CM Imm gave 90 days notice before enforcing an old law on the books not necessarily enforced in other provinces. After owning my condo 8 years suddenly issued a "offense" and made to pay 1600 baht. A nice little earner I'd reckon must have added up to quite a stack of cash hope they use it for the new building renovation and not some Directors slush fund. 

• 1 year later...

Hi

Last Residence Certificate I needed I picked up from Promenada and was no real hassle.

But as I understand that Immigration has moved back to near Airport - is it also now back there for a Certificate or still at Promenada?

Grateful for advice.

Rgds.

Edited by factseeker

On 11/24/2018 at 3:45 PM, factseeker said:

Hi

Last Residence Certificate I needed I picked up from Promenada and was no real hassle.

But as I understand that Immigration has moved back to near Airport - is it also now back there for a Certificate or still at Promenada?

Grateful for advice.

Rgds.

Airport. Promenada doesn’t exist anymore with immigration 

Went today(Nov.26) to the Airport Immigration in search of a C.R. I got the attached paper from the info. outlining the requirements and the time (8am-10am) to summit your docs. The office is outside in a shack that used to be part of the old operation.

Scan.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaleySabai said:

Went today(Nov.26) to the Airport Immigration in search of a C.R. I got the attached paper from the info. outlining the requirements and the time (8am-10am) to summit your docs. The office is outside in a shack that used to be part of the old operation.

Scan.jpeg

Do you know if the wait is still 5 weeks for the free CR?

On 11/25/2018 at 9:33 PM, holy cow cm said:

Airport. Promenada doesn’t exist anymore with immigration 

Hi

Yes I know - but it was a separate set up in an office next to photo copying - somehow intertwined with Imm.

Thought they might still be there for time being.

From comment below looks like now in a 'Hut' at Airport Immi.

I paid 500 Baht for my CR and picked up next day - no complaints - all worked OK - was for my first Thai D License.

Edited by factseeker

The CR is now 1,000b for 'same-day-service' contracted out to a "Visa Agent" located across the main road in a white hotel-like structure.Can't miss this as you will see a steady stream of Farang making the death-defying bolt across the road.

Immigration and Agent has now joined forces to offer the "customer" better service options....for a price.

If you have time and want the 'free' service from Immigration I was told will be 2 months.

Been meaning to get a bike-license for sometime now and with an upcoming multi-province big-bike trip on Dec.10 with visiting friends thought good time to take action.However, my visa (non 'O') expires on Dec.11 of which I planned to be in Mae Sai for the quick in/out. The Agent told me I didn't have enough time left on my visa to get the CR,Immigration apparently needs 30-day remaining on your visa before processing anything. So I was offered by the Agent to have my visa renewed there and then for 5,000b!...it was hard to keep a straight face but I politely declined and told him that I will take my chances out on the road with the police.

I wonder if the turn around time for Immigration is 2-months for everything, judging by the flock of Farang and the usual gong-show over at the Agency I'd guess it may be. When you add in the '30-day remaining on visa' clause +  a two-month waiting it seems like a bit of entrapment from Immigration. Nice strategy - since now they can't be accused of coining money for providing government service they simply contract it out as a "convenience" charge to a third-party. No doubt, for a nice cut at the end of the month.

As for my CR in regards to a drivers license, Im just going to try my luck and apply for the "free" CR when I come back from abroad next Sept.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

The CR is now 1,000b for 'same-day-service' contracted out to a "Visa Agent" located across the main road in a white hotel-like structure.Can't miss this as you will see a steady stream of Farang making the death-defying bolt across the road.

Immigration and Agent has now joined forces to offer the "customer" better service options....for a price.

If you have time and want the 'free' service from Immigration I was told will be 2 months.

Been meaning to get a bike-license for sometime now and with an upcoming multi-province big-bike trip on Dec.10 with visiting friends thought good time to take action.However, my visa (non 'O') expires on Dec.11 of which I planned to be in Mae Sai for the quick in/out. The Agent told me I didn't have enough time left on my visa to get the CR,Immigration apparently needs 30-day remaining on your visa before processing anything. So I was offered by the Agent to have my visa renewed there and then for 5,000b!...it was hard to keep a straight face but I politely declined and told him that I will take my chances out on the road with the police.

I wonder if the turn around time for Immigration is 2-months for everything, judging by the flock of Farang and the usual gong-show over at the Agency I'd guess it may be. When you add in the '30-day remaining on visa' clause +  a two-month waiting it seems like a bit of entrapment from Immigration. Nice strategy - since now they can't be accused of coining money for providing government service they simply contract it out as a "convenience" charge to a third-party. No doubt, for a nice cut at the end of the month.

As for my CR in regards to a drivers license, Im just going to try my luck and apply for the "free" CR when I come back from abroad next Sept.

Wow, the wait for the free CR went from 4 weeks to 5 weeks and now 8 weeks!  I had about 6 weeks remaining on my visa and CM Immigration would not allow me to apply for the free CR because "not much time left on visa, need to extend visa for the 1900 baht first". 1000 baht for a CR is such a scam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 4:44 PM, HaleySabai said:

Thnxs to you and also Siam Andy for this info - what I needed.

Hate 'abortive' trips - like to get it right first 'strike' if I can.

Last bit of the 'jigsaw' needed for me - is there a 'Ticket' system for the CR - even though it is with an 'Agent' across the highway - I did a Google walk by and from your description can see the relevant building.

So is it straight to the 'White Building' between 8am & 10am  (I have all my Docs ready) - or first to the 'Hut' to get a queueing ticket?

Best Rgds.

No, first you have to go to the "shack" outside to the right of the main (new) immigration building. Its actually part of the old immigration structure. Go there between 8am-10am and they will give you a form to fill out then check your docs and ask if you want the slow-boat (2mons) or pay 1,000b for the use of their "agency" across the road, sounds like it could be same-day service.

Once you have successfully crossed the death-defying road and entered into the Agency lair don't get a ticket and stand around unless you need photo-copying done. Just queue-up directly in front of the desk and wait for your turn. That's as far as I got with this process, having to abandon ship due to my visa expiration date?

Good Luck.

I just got back from a 1,045km bike trip (Golden Triangle) without seeing a single police....got lucky, this time.