Residence Certificates - Chiang Mai

FolkGuitar

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

I have my seat belt on. Helmet on. Fire suit on. All prepared for the posts full of outrage - how dare they allow anyone to pay for expedited service 555

I love it here too !

Of course the outrage will come from those who object to paying for convenience.  "What?  You paid to get residence certificates in a day instead of weeks, and to avoid extra trips to Promenada?  You fool!"

Granted, the system does seemed designed to push people to paying services, however anyone who moved to Thailand without expecting this sort of thing didn't do their homework.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

Is there a paid service downstairs again? last time I was out there G4T was upstairs. 

The goal posts keep moving .I did my TM 30 3 weeks ago,2nd floor, and they were doing residence certs there,well taking orders anyway.

RC of course are so time consuming, typing in the date and an address onto a standard template and printing it off can really stress staff out.... so be kind

Used the office next to the copy shop yesterday afternoon to.get a RC needed for DL, told come back after 2pm today. Total time spent there sorting this out less than 10min. Been in Chiang Mai a month and already had to visit CMI 4 times, the first 2 for the TM30 which was painful as the officer insulted my landlord who was doing me a favour. Just happy getting the RC was quick and easy.

And so how much did you have to fork over and did you get an official receipt from Immigration?  I'd still rather go to the U.S. Consulate to get a C of R and pay them $50 even with Donald as president. At least the U.S. Consulate staff remains helpful and gives out official receipts. Plus, you can make your appointment on-line and get in-and-out in about 10 minutes.  You people are just fueling the machine at Promenada.

O please all of the drama from the refuse niks is old and boreing. Just pay up and get your documents and out the door in 10 or 15 min. Having to pay 500b for a service (yeah I know suppose to be free, and it is if you want to wait) that you can pay 50 dollars for paying 50 dollars or waiting a month doesn't make much sense. Just look upon it as a service and it makes the medicine go down easier

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NancyL said:

And so how much did you have to fork over and did you get an official receipt from Immigration?  I'd still rather go to the U.S. Consulate to get a C of R and pay them $50 even with Donald as president. At least the U.S. Consulate staff remains helpful and gives out official receipts. Plus, you can make your appointment on-line and get in-and-out in about 10 minutes.  You people are just fueling the machine at Promenada.

It was fifty with Obumer in office

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

What if you are not a US citizen what are the options?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rawhod said:

Exactly....

If immigration were to discontinue issuing Certs. of Residence, which they have done in the past...

For us UK citizens it means a trip to British Embassy in Bangkok plus a nights stay-over to collect the certificate the following day, if you are lucky.

A fact that our American contributor conveniently forgets whilst continuing this never-ending, and possibly damaging, vendetta.

Only a few americans not all

• Like 2

There is always the option of moving to Malaysia... No problems with corruption in Malaysia, as long as you're rich enough to pay for the expedited service.  $50,000 US dollars, if I remember correctly. But you get a receipt.

Exactly, no corruption there. How much of that Billion ?? Did they ever recover? From Singapore, Saudi, Switzerland....
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 11:00 PM, FolkGuitar said:

$15 and I don't require a receipt. I'll use the other $35 for a better purpose than funding Trump's insanities.  Yes, you can get an appointment on line at the Consulate. I didn't have to make an appointment today. Easier. You prefer to fund Trump. I prefer to fund the Thais.

I didn't walk into Thailand blind. I knew how things worked before I came, and once here, I don't try to change the way the Thais do things. It's their country. I just co-exist with it. I'll applaud any positive (in my mind, anyway) changes that they make, but I won't try to impose my western values on them. 

But you may wish to review your Bible... John 8:7

Valid point.  

It is less expensive the thai way.  One has to determine if paying more for "principle" is worth it.  

I do like the clever way they have made it so inconvenient.   

I find it unreasonable to have to pay $50 for an affidavit... 

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, FolkGuitar said:

$15 and I don't require a receipt. I'll use the other $35 for a better purpose than funding Trump's insanities.  Yes, you can get an appointment on line at the Consulate. I didn't have to make an appointment today. Easier. You prefer to fund Trump. I prefer to fund the Thais.

I didn't walk into Thailand blind. I knew how things worked before I came, and once here, I don't try to change the way the Thais do things. It's their country. I just co-exist with it. I'll applaud any positive (in my mind, anyway) changes that they make, but I won't try to impose my western values on them. 

But you may wish to review your Bible... John 8:7

Exceptionally good post.

An excellent reply to nonsense.

Some good advice on how to get along here.

Concluding with John 8:7... that's one to live by.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Valid point.  

It is less expensive the thai way.  One has to determine if paying more for "principle" is worth it.  

I do like the clever way they have made it so inconvenient.   

I find it unreasonable to have to pay $50 for an affidavit... 

Yes, it's the height of Thai ingenuity that in order to get the "free" C of R one must first travel to Prom. to make an appointment to apply.  You can make appointments just during one hour of the morning and if you miss that window of time, oh well, come back tomorrow.  There never are appointments available for the same day, so you have to return another day for your appointment to submit your actual application then you have to return a few weeks (or is it a month?) later to pick up your completed "free" C or R.  That's three trips to Prom. Mall, assuming to arrive during the window of time when you can make application for an appointment during your first trip.

Prom. Mall has discontinued their free shuttle van and that wouldn't have helped for the first visit anyway, which is a morning window of time.

So, for those without their own transportation, that's three 400 baht round trips to the mall.  1200 baht.  Plus transport time.  It makes the $50 at the U.S. Consulate for the appointment you make on-line and in-and-out service in minutes from smiling staff look more and more reasonable.

Incidentally, the description of my first two paragraphs isn't an "unfounded allegation", it's a simple statement of fact.  Imm. has taken what is a very simple transaction and applied pure bureaucratic genius to it.  You can draw your own conclusions about why it was designed this way and who stands to gain when people get fed up and walk 30 meters down the 2nd floor hallway to a storefront at Prom. mall to get the same document in a few minutes for a 500 baht fee.  How is it this business can gain access that mere morals can't?

• Like 1

Someone please clarify -- the quickest way to get an RC is to go to room #7? Is this a few minute turnaround, or as I understand with G4T, come back in a few hours? Obviously, the value of time, is important, but not a show stopper -- which parking and $50 at the Consulate certainly is. So -- going direct to room 7 is mo betta than G4T, or not?

Edited by JimGant

48 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Someone please clarify -- the quickest way to get an RC is to go to room #7? Is this a few minute turnaround, or as I understand with G4T, come back in a few hours? Obviously, the value of time, is important, but not a show stopper -- which parking and $50 at the Consulate certainly is. So -- going direct to room 7 is mo betta than G4T, or not?

Ask NancyL for the "best way" to get it done ASAP.

Edited by scottiejohn

57 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I don't use the in-house  agents at Prom.  I use one near my location.  G4 is, I believe, the one in  Prom.  Do a quick "Google" search for "visa Agents" in your area and it may be Quicker and cheaper, depending on distances/mode of transport, from your location than going out to prom.

PS;  Please disregard my "tongue in cheek" ranting comment above. 

Edited by scottiejohn
Adding the PS; trying to keep the Mods happy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Go to room #7 just next to the copy shop with all your documents, turn them in and pay 500 baht. 3-4 minutes at most.  Come back the next afternoon to pick up your RC. Less than one minute.

I believe that the person who must sign the RC is not on the property, which is the reason for any delay.

• Like 1