Husband passed away. Wife has 'follower' visa. What happens?

I have some friends, both Australian, who are married and living here on the retirement visa. The husband recently passed away, and the wife is under 50. I believe she 'piggy-backed' onto his visa, so I'm wondering how his death will affect her right to stay in Thailand, at what already is a very difficult time for her.

I believe they were both in the 90 day reporting system. Unsure when their last 90 day report was done.

Would appreciate any useful information, as I imagine the situation is now quite complex for her given that they own property here in Thailand, a car, and have pets, etc.

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Same as if Thai wife dies, the extension will be valid until it's time for renewal.

Next extension she will have to qualify herself.

Would she be able to continue to fulfill 90 day reporting requirements without him? The fact that she cannot get a retirement extension on her own (too young) complicates things no end.

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Same as if Thai wife dies, the extension will be valid until it's time for renewal.

Next extension she will have to qualify herself.

Not the same.

Her extension technically ends on the date her husband passed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not the same.

Her extension technically ends on the date her husband passed.

For practical purposes though, wouldn't she be able to stay until the date stamped in passport OR next 90 day falls due? Obviously with a funeral to arrange she won't be going anywhere now irrespective of technicalities.

11 minutes ago, 50BahtLeo said:

Would she be able to continue to fulfill 90 day reporting requirements without him? The fact that she cannot get a retirement extension on her own (too young) complicates things no end.

See my reply to the post you quoted.

The 90 day reporting is the least of her worries. They are not relevant to her being allowed to stay.

As I wrote her extension technically ends on the date her husband passed but immigration will not know about it unless she notifies them.

She could stay until her current extension ends without anybody making a problem about it.

Since she will need to find another way to stay here if she wants to stay longer. That might mean tourist visas until she turns 50.

If she has the assets available she could consider the a membership in Thai Elite. See: http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks ubonjoe for the prompt replies. I hope she still has a few months remaining to sort everything out. Too recent to discuss it with her but want to gather info at this stage. I image Thai Elite will be her only option if she wants to remain living here.

4 minutes ago, 50BahtLeo said:

For practical purposes though, wouldn't she be able to stay until the date stamped in passport OR next 90 day falls due? Obviously with a funeral to arrange she won't be going anywhere now irrespective of technicalities.

Read my previous post done while you were replying.

If she does not do a 90 day report she would not be kicked out of the country for that. Not reporting is just a 2000 baht fine.