Massive drug haul hidden in truck filled with cabbages

webfact

Massive drug haul hidden in truck filled with cabbages
By Apinya Suksaengsri
The Nation

a46839101c8ee78b33c47cb8bc827029-sld.jpe

PHRAE: -- Police have arrested two men in Phrae province after uncovering a massive shipment of illegal drugs hidden in a truck filled with cabbages.

As many as 858,000 methamphetamine pills and about 36 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine were found in bags hidden among piles of cabbage in the six-wheeled truck, which was intercepted at a police checkpoint. 

Police announced the seizure of the drugs and the arrest of the two suspects on Sunday. 

Arrested were Sa-ard Lenkham and Piyachart Sangsan, both of whom were charged with drug possession with the intent to sell. 

Police said they would investigate the case further and seize the assets of people involved. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30313116

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-24

They obviously got a tip off,so the driver and his mate got caught,

might have been better to follow the truck to its destination and

maybe catch some bigger fish,a tracking device put on the truck,

but maybe a bit too advanced for plod,so there will be another load

on its way tomorrow.

regards Worgeordie

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

on its way tomorrow.

regards Worgeordie

Totally. 2 more mules arrested, when there were much bigger fish to be had if the cops had the brains to follow the stash and be patient.

Having said that I suspect the mules are singing loudly, though their bosses will almost certainly have done a runner by the time the cops come.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said they would investigate the case further and seize the assets of people involved

I hope the investigation doesn't stop with the two that were arrested.....................:sleep:

30 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

on its way tomorrow.

Quite possibly. Maybe diversion from the really big load. Sacrifice some little fish.

Never hear what kind of sentences are handed down for these huge busts. Can't be that severe, most involved are repeat offenders. Catch a falang with a couple of joints and it's a different story.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never hear what kind of sentences are handed down for these huge busts. Can't be that severe, most involved are repeat offenders. Catch a falang with a couple of joints and it's a different story.

Never see any public destruction of seized drugs either!

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Totally. 2 more mules arrested, when there were much bigger fish to be had if the cops had the brains to follow the stash and be patient.

Having said that I suspect the mules are singing loudly, though their bosses will almost certainly have done a runner by the time the cops come.

I'm extremely confident there'd be more mules collecting from these mules at the end of their drive.

its fanciful at best to think you would ever connect anyone with power or money to these consignments by simply following to their destination.

A couple of joints won't get you sentenced to prison since (despite barstool myths), weed is on the lower classification of drugs and the cops don't really care. First time offence is usually 1,500 Baht fine if I remember correctly BUT you have to go to court first which means possibly waiting in jail for a few months. This is why tourists are willing to pay 20, 30, 50000 to the cops to get set free immediately.

9 hours ago, SABloke said:

A couple of joints won't get you sentenced to prison since (despite barstool myths), weed is on the lower classification of drugs and the cops don't really care. First time offence is usually 1,500 Baht fine if I remember correctly BUT you have to go to court first which means possibly waiting in jail for a few months. This is why tourists are willing to pay 20, 30, 50000 to the cops to get set free immediately.

I was being facetious with the 2 joints,but falangs seem to be dealt with far harsher than locals for being caught with a few eccies or a small quantity of ice. Have you seen the huge drug busts with pickups full of yaba and meth? Have yet to read what kind of sentences are handed down for those busts.

I was being facetious with the 2 joints,but falangs seem to be dealt with far harsher than locals for being caught with a few eccies or a small quantity of ice. Have you seen the huge drug busts with pickups full of yaba and meth? Have yet to read what kind of sentences are handed down for those busts.

Last conviction I read about was 15 years for 250mg of cocaine...for a Thai person. Can't get much harsher than that can it?

I can't recall a huge stash conviction off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

Last conviction I read about was 15 years for 250mg of cocaine...for a Thai person. Can't get much harsher than that can it?

I can't recall a huge stash conviction off the top of my head.

Like anything in Thailand it probably depends on how well connected you are.

Doremaifasol- No they wont get wacked because they wont rat... They know there is no evidence to support their snitching ways and it would only result in a death sentence. Not only that the two in the car are quite possibly/highly likely completely innocent as it sounds like the 6 wheel truck was carrying several consignments one of which was a pile of cabbages with bags in it. The cartels enforcers who were following in a car were probably watching the entire scenario. They will also know the twos family, children, loved ones etc. All the police have are two bunnies and maybe a paper trail consignment invoice or receipt that is fake.

So a lost opportunity for the plod. Probably not a tip off as they would have better intelligence and investigation plans in place. Just a random but successful border check.