Why does it seem impossible to get a decent mixed drink in Thailand?

Ahab

12 hours ago, Stray said:

Never had a problem at Arno's.  Then again, some people don't want to pay for a steak, either.

I was generalising to make a point. Of course there are a few places that cook a steak to order - sometimes. Most places don't, can't or won't. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/25/2017 at 2:49 PM, Pdaz said:

Yes asking for a " drink kit " and assembling your own is often the only way.

I've been watched with open curiosity by the bar staff who have then attempted to copy my recipe on my second order.. priceless

But you probably need a work permit for making one yourself...    Lol

7 hours ago, dbrenn said:
19 hours ago, Stray said:

Never had a problem at Arno's.  Then again, some people don't want to pay for a steak, either.

I was generalising to make a point. Of course there are a few places that cook a steak to order - sometimes. Most places don't, can't or won't. 

People generalise far too much on these forums.

Most of the places that don't, can't or won't cook a steak properly are probably not high quality places and likely not actually steak restaurants either.   They may not even be western run, in which case they are cooking the meat for local tastes which means cooked through.

Basically there is no point complaining about steaks unless you are eating in a decent steak restaurant.  Any other establishment and it's just a piece of cooked meat (and likely poor quality anyway).

16 hours ago, Taco said:

Coming from experience of 20 years bartending and 12 years of owning a bar here the main issues are not using proper amount of spirits, reusing flat mixers, shaking carbonation out of drinks not meant to be shaked and buying the absolute cheapest bottle sold.  Most cocktails need 45ml minimum to achieve the proper taste.  I find Thais and Burmese can be taught to make a decent drink once you allow them to pour the proper amount of booze but it is very hard to get them to throw out warm flat mixers.  I am constantly coming in the bar and tossing half full bottles of soda and cans of coke that have been open for hours. 

The staff feels like they are helping the owner by using less spirits and using old mixers but they dont realized they have just sold that customer their last cocktail in your establishment. 

Interesting, so it's a culture mindset of not waste anything rather than direction of the bar owner, I guess that's going to be hard to change. 

Have you considered a sign 'Flat mixer? Tell the manager and your drink is free' and then take the drink price off the wages, should be easy to verify with cctv, if there's one thing that will influence them and of which they seem to have no problem understanding is money out of their pocket. 

I observed a similar act to the reusing of flat mixer with draught beers in an unnamed well known bar, the overflow when changing kegs sits there in a glass under the bar for a while then goes into the next customers pint with a fresh top up. Although to be somewhat fair they do throw them down the sink if its been there for a very long while so at least they are somewhat aware, still :post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by ladada

We normally drink beer but occasionally feel like a mixed drink. We have ordered mai tai's, martini's, and even something as simple and a gin and tonic but all seem above the bar tending skills of anyplace we have visited here. When we ordered the gin and tonic the bar person broke out a menu book for the drink. It consists of four ingredients (one of them is ice), gin, tonic, and a wedge of lime. The drink we eventually received was nothing like a simple "gin and tonic". We have since given up and just buy the ingredients at Tops or Big C and make our own when we are in the mood.

Drink somewhere they dont advertise happy hour draught beer for 35 Baht and you should be ok.

It ludicrous to imply that all drinking establishments in LOS cant make a g&t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Ah, now I understand.

Never let "generalising" and "going off topic" get in the way of a good, old-fashioned "Thai bash."

seancbk, post ID#33, sums up (the off topic discussion) very well.

As some posters fail to realise, this IS Thailand and, within Thai establishments, things are done to Thai taste.

If you do not agree with how things are done, go to a foreign run establishment.  Or, to be more specific, an establishment run by one of your fellow country folk.  Then, if it is not done correctly, you can discuss it directly with management in a language and custom that you are both familiar with.

Even in Thailand, a business that doesn't cater to the local tastes (which is the majority), doesn't last long, or runs at a loss.

Edited by Stray

2 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Drink somewhere they dont advertise happy hour draught beer for 35 Baht and you should be ok.

It ludicrous to imply that all drinking establishments in LOS cant make a g&t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never said or implied that "all drinking " establishments in Thailand couldn't make a gin and tonic but was merely relating what occurred in one fairly upscale establishment. I thought making an acceptable gin and tonic would have been something that any bartender could accomplish as long as they had the ingredients (which they did). I was incorrect.

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

Never said or implied that "all drinking " establishments in Thailand couldn't make a gin and tonic but was merely relating what occurred in one fairly upscale establishment. I thought making an acceptable gin and tonic would have been something that any bartender could accomplish as long as they had the ingredients (which they did). I was incorrect.

Did you discuss this with management of the upscale establishment?

seems to me that you simply aren't going to the right places. 

bangkok especially has a vibrant bar scene - there are cocktail bars popping up everywhere and thai bartenders entering and doing very well in competitions all over the world.

my exes  sister has made a career of it and is often on sponsored jaunts around the world, bacardi, hendricks gin, etc.

she won bartender of the year in bangkok this year and some other award for being one of the top bartenders in asia. 

there is an annual negoni festival - hell the woman makes her own bitters, her apartment is a lab full of infusions and concoctions of various sorts.

i personally have never had an issue ordering a drink, but then common sense should dictate where you order a beer or something more upscale.

11 minutes ago, Stray said:

Did you discuss this with management of the upscale establishment?

What would be the point? If they cannot mix a two part drink correctly I seriously doubt that talking to the "management" would have fixed anything and it was much easier to shift over to a drink that is much more difficult to screw up, which was a beer.

1 minute ago, HooHaa said:

seems to me that you simply aren't going to the right places. 

bangkok especially has a vibrant bar scene - there are cocktail bars popping up everywhere and thai bartenders entering and doing very well in competitions all over the world.

my exes  sister has made a career of it and is often on sponsored jaunts around the world, bacardi, hendricks gin, etc.

she won bartender of the year in bangkok this year and some other award for being one of the top bartenders in asia. 

there is an annual negoni festival - hell the woman makes her own bitters, her apartment is a lab full of infusions and concoctions of various sorts.

i personally have never had an issue ordering a drink, but then common sense should dictate where you order a beer or something more upscale.

Perfectly said.   

I found (or rather was taken to) a very cool, relatively new, bar in Phra Khanong last weekend.  

Had an amazing Mojito for 300 baht (picture below).     Then had some other cocktail, forgotten the name, as I just told the Barman to make something nice.  That was 400 baht.

Much better than the 700 baht cocktails in Thonglor, although I do like going those places to drink.

Selection_016.png

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Perfectly said.   

I found (or rather was taken to) a very cool, relatively new, bar in Phra Khanong last weekend.  

Had an amazing Mojito for 300 baht (picture below).     Then had some other cocktail, forgotten the name, as I just told the Barman to make something nice.  That was 400 baht.

Much better than the 700 baht cocktails in Thonglor, although I do like going those places to drink.

Selection_016.png

Nice!  I've been on a Mojito kick lately at my local (Korat).  Big glass, great taste, 140 Baht. 

Try Hyde & Seek Gastro Pub on Soi Ruamrudee. Their drink menu is larger than their restaurant menu. I have asked for drinks not on the menu and they fixed me up without a blink. Mostly top shelf and talented bartenders. If you are into pubs, the long island ice teas at Hillary 2 are pretty strong. Also, Cowboy Bar on soi 4 makes a long island that will put hair on your chest.

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

Perfectly said.   

Selection_016.png

The mint is not properly muddled.  You would figure the masters of Som Tum could crush some leaves.

19 hours ago, Stray said:

Ah, now I understand.

Never let "generalising" and "going off topic" get in the way of a good, old-fashioned "Thai bash."

seancbk, post ID#33, sums up (the off topic discussion) very well.

As some posters fail to realise, this IS Thailand and, within Thai establishments, things are done to Thai taste.

If you do not agree with how things are done, go to a foreign run establishment.  Or, to be more specific, an establishment run by one of your fellow country folk.  Then, if it is not done correctly, you can discuss it directly with management in a language and custom that you are both familiar with.

Even in Thailand, a business that doesn't cater to the local tastes (which is the majority), doesn't last long, or runs at a loss.

Er .... I'm Thai myself, so why would I Thai bash. You seem like the type of guy who just got off the plane, and still has Shangri-La syndrome. Enjoy it while it lasts.

21 hours ago, seancbk said:

People generalise far too much on these forums.

Most of the places that don't, can't or won't cook a steak properly are probably not high quality places and likely not actually steak restaurants either.   They may not even be western run, in which case they are cooking the meat for local tastes which means cooked through.

Basically there is no point complaining about steaks unless you are eating in a decent steak restaurant.  Any other establishment and it's just a piece of cooked meat (and likely poor quality anyway).

People generalise to make points all the time. There will always be a few exceptions to every observation, but if we used these exceptions to disregard a general observation, then nobody would make observations any more. What a boring place the world would be then. 

Generally, as I say again, meat that is sold as steak in Thailand is (as you say) generally just a piece of beef (and generally not steak) that is generally overcooked.

Sigh, life for the pukka sahib has always been difficult in foreign climes. We just have to recognise we make the sacrifice of being here so the natives have something to aspire to by our example.  Chin up, lad, and soldier on as best you can.

On 4/26/2017 at 5:43 PM, Monkeyrobot said:

Most of the shots here a 25ml as a US shot is 30ml so that is like over 17% less ,  you are getting screwed on the shots and then you getting screwed on the exchange rate. Also you will get screwed at the Airport , that will be 800 baht to go to Sukhumvit  soi 20 sir , welcome to Thailand after your 23 hour flight. I need a drink after writing this post. 

Exactly so. I thought most tourists come to Thailand for the screwing of their lives.

13 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Er .... I'm Thai myself, so why would I Thai bash. You seem like the type of guy who just got off the plane, and still has Shangri-La syndrome. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Over a quarter of a century in SEAsia, myself.

Being a returnee doesn't put you above Thai bashing.  Your type pass through my neighbourhood all the time and end up being the ones that can't hack it.

Enjoy your cheap steaks and cheaper cocktails . . . :passifier:  And please don't kick my dog on your way out.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Ahab said:

What would be the point? If they cannot mix a two part drink correctly I seriously doubt that talking to the "management" would have fixed anything and it was much easier to shift over to a drink that is much more difficult to screw up, which was a beer.

If this was, as you claim, an upscale establishment, the point would have been that management may have been made aware of an issue that they may have taken steps to rectify.

Yeah, I guess it's just so much easier to go out, buy your own spirits and mixers and post about it on a forum . . .

4 hours ago, Stray said:

If this was, as you claim, an upscale establishment, the point would have been that management may have been made aware of an issue that they may have taken steps to rectify.

Yeah, I guess it's just so much easier to go out, buy your own spirits and mixers and post about it on a forum . . .

It's true the drinks aren't on par in Bangkok with other cities like Singpapore, Tokyo, London etc. Not a big deal but when you go somewhere or to hotels and drinks are 300 to 450 Baht this becomes a problem. 

You would be hard pressed to get a Bloody Mary that is acceptable at the Mandarin Oriental. Smoking Pug if it is open again did alright GNT and bloody mary's for around 350 if they are open again. 

For booze you are approaching Tokyo prices for very bad quality. Thais don't generally drink cocktails or mixed drinks so most places have no idea how to do them.

Shaken not stirred lol

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

It's true the drinks aren't on par in Bangkok with other cities like Singpapore, Tokyo, London etc. Not a big deal but when you go somewhere or to hotels and drinks are 300 to 450 Baht this becomes a problem. 

You would be hard pressed to get a Bloody Mary that is acceptable at the Mandarin Oriental. Smoking Pug if it is open again did alright GNT and bloody mary's for around 350 if they are open again. 

For booze you are approaching Tokyo prices for very bad quality. Thais don't generally drink cocktails or mixed drinks so most places have no idea how to do them.

Shaken not stirred lol

That was kind of the point of the original post. One of the posts suggested that you could get a decent cocktail in BKK for 700 baht. For over $20 USD I would hope you could get a decent cocktail. You would be hard pressed to find prices that high for a very good cocktail in Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, you could find excellent mixed drinks even in that tourist hellhole for about half the price.

• 3 weeks later...

The original post actually should have been something along the lines of why is it so hard to get a decent mixed drink outside of Bangkok, or other large tourist areas?