You Never Can Tell

Brightly

So, most of us know of this approximate scenario:

I shopped at a big local chain on the weekend, and had the items delivered at home.

Delivery came as expected, but I later realized that an item was missing.: Namely,  a semi-pricey broom (with an expanding handle to accommodate those over 5 feet tall--yay!)

Not suspecting malfeisence, but rather incompetence, I declined to call the store.  What good would that do, except to make the situation muddier and harder to unravel?

I'd just go in and sort it out.

A couple of days later, I arrived back at said grocery store, armed with both delivery and purchase receipts.

Oh, I just knew how this would play out:  Starting with being "greeted" by a sullen, female underling, no interest in my query,  barely looking up from her Facebook page, and wishing I would just de-materialize.

And this was exactly what happened.

The disinterested young woman attempted to pry the receipts from my hand, and I held my palm flat, and my posture said, "Don't even THINK about it."

I know how this stuff goes.  Next step, (some sort of) manager...

So, she called to one of her English-speaking superiors, and I understood just enough Thai to surmise exactly what she thought of me in her exchange

No news here...seen/heard this too many times to count.

As I waited for the mid-manager to step in, I further just knew what would happen next:  a twenty-minute rash of phone calls, some computer fumbling, with finally some front-man/woman emerging, somehow placing the blame on ME for not receiving my item, and me walking away with no broom, a simmering discontent, and positive affirmation of my predictions.

Instead, after sullen-girl bumped me to her manager, things took a surprising turn.  

Manager-lady strode over, smiled, and said, "We've tried to call you, Kuhn "X,".   "Here is your item."  She handed me my broom, my name brightly tagged on it, with a silly bow and emoji sticker affiixed to boot!

Now, this is not a news-breaking story, to be sure.  But's a story we don't tell enough on TV:  When things go delightfully right. 

I  like hearing the excellent airline stories, the good immigration tales, and the odd yarn about some random wonderful thing a Thai person unexpectedly did for us.

In the immortal words of Chuck Berry, " C'est La Vie say the Old Folks~~It Just Goes To Show You Never Can Tell."

We truly never can tell!

Folks bitch and moan daily on TV about trivial and redundant topics.  God, we all know it's true.

Trolls gotta troll, moaners gotta bitch--I guess...

Perhaps trivial items about the unexpected good turn won't satisfy the sarcastic, unfullfilled beasts on TV,  but I like reading the more upbeat posts--even if they seem corny or cliched.

But that's just me...

I'm sure the trolls will troll now.

As they do.

Edited by Brightly

Yes there should be more passing along of good stories.

Yesterday I had a 7/11 girl chase me outside the shop to return a 1,000 baht note I had accidentally included in a pile of 20s. It almost made up for the 10 minute lecture I then got from the GF, you need to be more careful, i'm going to buy you a wallet etc

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, you get your broom back but a Red bull heiress can murder people and get a way with it . Two Burmese workers and a brown envelope to the BiB

So OP tells us his good positive story and the first response is to turn it into a negative.

Well OP I for 1  am happy for you.

Many good things happen here, but also many bad things happen.

I have had both happen to me, some fantastic helpful Thai people.

Some absolute scumbags.

Please remember though grumpy old farts like me get their kicks out of moaning, our days are not complete unless we bitch and moan about something/someone.

Hi Grumoy Old Fart,

I get you, my friend, maybe more than you know.

Is is it possible to imagine a day--even one day--that you don't bitch and moan?

I'm not saying NEVER bitch and moan, but I'm asking,: What would one day look like if you didn't bitch and moan?

It might not feel any different, but it might be cool to try for a day and see if it was an experiment worth trying.

Just a day.  Seems pretty harmless.

I was buying fruit at one of our typical roadside stands... a samlor pulled up with a dusty older lady who asked the price of cantaloupe. Told that it was 20 baht, she declined, so, I bought it for her. The samlor driver who was not in much better shape than the old lady said to me, "If I ever see you walking, I will take you anywhere you want to go." 

Good deeds do come back to you here...