Umbrellas, beach chairs banned again at Phuket’s Surin Beach

webfact

Umbrellas, beach chairs banned again at Phuket’s Surin Beach

The Phuket News

1493117991_1-org.jpg

Tourists enjoy the umbrellas and beach chairs at Surin Beach, but by May 1 beach operators will have to remove their umbrellas and sun loungers for rent – or else face legal action. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Beach vendors have been ordered to remove all umbrellas and beach chairs from the sand at Surin Beach, on Phuket’s west coast, by May 1.

Those who do not comply will face legal action, MaAnn Samran, chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), told a meeting at Provincial Hall yesterday (April 24).

The meeting, led by Phuket Administrative Chief (Palad) Thawornwat Khongkaew, was held for Mr MaAnn to explain reports of encroachment onto public beaches in Phuket, which coincidentally followed the Royal Thai Army presence in Phuket questioning Mr MaAnn over restaurants setting up tables and chairs on the sand at nearby Bang Tao Beach.

“On March 13, 36 beach operators came with reporters and requested for a ‘10% zone’ to be established at Surin Beach. I have already informed them that Surin Beach is a ‘royal majesty honour beach’ (sic), so no such zone is allowed,” Mr MaAnn said.

“Cherng Talay OrBorTor has no power to change that. The request must be sent to Phuket Governor,” he added.

However, Mr MaAnn said he was willing to change his stance if the Governor’s Office ordered him to do so.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/umbrellas-beach-chairs-banned-again-at-phuket-surin-beach-61914.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-04-26

It's a question of the right balance – a number of tourists actually like to to hire a beach chair under an umbrella, and also be able to buy something to drink, or a light meal or snack. I wonder why it's so difficult for the local authorities to find a balance, with some dedicated areas on the beach where approved vendors can pay a fee for a license to operate; the licence fee can then be used to keep the other part of the beach in good natural condition.

I noted, when the military cleaned the beach first time, that in Danish media regular Danish Phuket-turists complained about the missing chairs and umbrellas and drink/food outlets, stating that after some 20-years, they will not return after these changes...

30 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It's a question of the right balance – a number of tourists actually like to to hire a beach chair under an umbrella, and also be able to buy something to drink, or a light meal or snack. I wonder why it's so difficult for the local authorities to find a balance, with some dedicated areas on the beach where approved vendors can pay a fee for a license to operate; the licence fee can then be used to keep the other part of the beach in good natural condition.

I noted, when the military cleaned the beach first time, that in Danish media regular Danish Phuket-turists complained about the missing chairs and umbrellas and drink/food outlets, stating that after some 20-years, they will not return after these changes...

Because any 'fee' will go straight into a 'private official pocket' ... it's all about me only here in Thailand.

they did a great job this past high season in Kamala

only 2 zones had chairs and the rest of the beach was empty of the chairs/umbrellas . No path side restaurants EXCEPT in the PARKING LOT (  yea try an park there)  

Surin had nothing on it 3 weeks ago and than   someone collected $$ and the hoards came n.

Seems to be a nice little earner for someone...............  Yes, you can now operate on the beach.........  Oh wait, you can't now buy sorry, no refunds..................  OK, you can now sell on the beach again.........   Wash, rinse, repeat for maximum earnings.

Seems like there's a real business opportunity for anyone with a bunch of folding beach chairs on wheels with integral umbrellas, set up across the street from the beach- to rent them to tourists.  And an app to order drinks and snacks from a vendor across the street, who can deliver them if the tourists don't feel like walking 50 meters...

Or are tourists even allowed to set up their own beach chairs?

Edited by impulse

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

I agree that its a question of finding the right balance.

The best solution IMO would be to ensure that beds/umbrellas are only placed on the beach when rented, and removed at the end of the day.  Rinse and repeat.  Nearly everyone would be happy?

Not about to happen though for obvious reasons.

9 hours ago, Rockee said:

Of course if they're rented on a daily basis you would have to return them to the Rental shop.
But of course if you stake out an area of the beach and fill it with your sunchairs and Umbrellas. And pay for that territory to "someone" it works better for the "Hirer".

In a similar vein, I rent a mat every time I go to the free concerts at Lumpini Park on Sunday nights (during the cooler weather), and when it's time to go home, I just leave the mat and the guy who rented it to me picks it up- just like he picks up the dozens of other ones he's rented out.  They're all marked to identify which of the hawkers rented that one.  No reason that couldn't work in a limited area like a beach, too.