Cabinet endorses broad spying powers for Thai police

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, webfact said:

but police promised that ordinary people would not be affected, because the authorities would only target criminals accused of grave offences.

Isn't that exactly what the NSA also said?

So I assume that Merkel and Abe must be criminals

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Newspapers in the UK have been hacking peoples' phones for years.

and when it was found out the brown stuff hit the fan for the papers, journalists and owners

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Newspapers in the UK have been hacking peoples' phones for years.

It´s great. Why complaining? You people think this doesn´t exist in every other country. Just wake up and smell reality!

But this Thailand. I've had a problem and though the accident certainly want my fault it cost me 15000. I'm terrified of something worse ever happening here

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So where the NSA look for words like; bomb, terrorist, Islam, etc. The Thai police will be filtering out key worlds like; democracy, freedom of speach, protest, etc.

Thailand, as the world moves forward, this really is the worst time to be moving backwards. You will isolate yourselves. 

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Pathetic fail at sarcasm.

The laws in place  to protect civil rights and privacy in the USA and UK are strong and are enforced. Despite what you might think, a police agency can not access private data as easily as the manner proposed for Thailand.  The judiciary is independent and is not cowed or intimidated by the military. Neither the US, nor UK military interferes in domestic affairs and in both countries the military is subject to transparent civilian oversight. 

If  I am harmed by a police officer or the government, I have a right of recourse. I have far more confidence in the judicial system, the military  and the law enforcement of these two countries than I do in the shakedown boys who hang out under the  walkway in front of Market Village , Hua Hin at the end of every month collecting money.

are

Well said sir. Succinctly points up the difference between the UK & US v Thailand.

An independent judiciary is the keystone and the separation of powers generally, which do not appear to operate too well here and despite the current US administration is still clearly operative in the USA.

18 hours ago, Eligius said:

There comes a point where, with the heaviest heart, one has to speak of national cowardice. Some nations in this world fought and sacrificed their blood in millions for liberty over the centuries. 

Could not agree more.

In developed nations governments try the same, but they have to take tiny steps and with every step endure questions from the public, watchdogs, and protests.

In Thailand it goes with leaps; a military taking over the country and nobody blinking an eye. That is a clear moment protestors should stand up and go to the streets. There are no tiny steps after which you can deny you noticed the erosing of your rights over time, it goes with shocks and whoever does not stand up to defend their rights has lost the rights on having the rights.

Those that present argument and include UK, USA etc. are correct of course but what I see is the danger of incompetent people running such as system. At least in other countries mentioned you can be sure they have real experts to do the job and they still enforce other laws as part of a daily job (traffic, criminal etc.). If there was more confidence in RTP doing a good job elsewhere then indeed, the innocent need not worry. Sadly, I don't think that is the case.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The laws in place  to protect civil rights and privacy in the USA and UK are strong and are enforced. Despite what you might think, a police agency can not access private data as easily as the manner proposed for Thailand.  The judiciary is independent and is not cowed or intimidated by the military. Neither the US, nor UK military interferes in domestic affairs and in both countries the military is subject to transparent civilian oversight. 

If  I am harmed by a police officer or the government, I have a right of recourse. I have far more confidence in the judicial system, the military  and the law enforcement of these two countries than I do in the shakedown boys who hang out under the  walkway in front of Market Village , Hua Hin at the end of every month collecting money.

are

I don't know which of the two countries are yours, but as a US citizen whose rights have been trampled on and whose rights have further been beaten down when I tried to stand up for them, been harassed, abused and falsely arrested and tried, had more than a few encounters with despicable police/government maliciously misusing their authority, you are dead wrong in your naive belief about an average US citizen having recourse against police power and a corrupt prosecution/public defender system. Cops who HAVE been arrested and tried are almost never convicted. Smartphone videos almost daily show cops blatantly hunting down and murdering young black kids even when they know their body cams are running. They also often have camera "malfunctions" when committing these assaults. In the US we have a THEORETICAL constitution, the enforcement of which is at the discretion of law enforcement, prosecution, and the courts, and whose protection is found more by those who can afford good enough lawyers, and almost not at all for those who can't. It seems to me that Thai cops have not taken to hunting, shooting, and murdering ethnic minorities as a matter of routine, as happens in the US. Yes, loss of privacy and state sponsored spying on citizens is a grave concern, but again, the US has been doing it since 9/11, and has been caught doing it and exposed by the likes of wikileaks and Ed Snowdon. The New York police tried to use the courts to force APPLE to write a back door security code so that they could access a suspects iphone data without destroying it. Apple fought all the way. We have it a LITTLE better that other absolute police states, but  not by as much as many people think. And our judicial system works more often than not, but it fails plenty, and its victims are many. So the US does NOT occupy any moral high ground on this subject. I wish it did. 

where's Jamie and the other Junta Huggers telling us this is all a good idea and needed to 'save us' from Thaksin?  they sleep walk into an authoritarian oblivion as the Junta 'knows best' and those 200+ unelected senators will make sure the elected are 'on message' how reassuring 

18 hours ago, Eligius said:

Yes, my friend. And still the Thais do nothing about it. More important to watch comedy shows with bells, gongs, hoots and whistles, or the latest appallingly acted soap opera.

There comes a point where, with the heaviest heart, one has to speak of national cowardice. Some nations in this world fought and sacrificed their blood in millions for liberty over the centuries. 

Moral and physical courage is not an attribute I see in abundance here. So - people get the 'government' they deserve. Sad - but, I am afraid, ultimately true. In the final analysis, a 'government' which is allowed to persist for growing numbers of years reflects the soul of the people who supinely permit such continuance. 

And so is planted the seed of the tree which soon grows too large to be cut or uprooted.

I have watched it happen in my country. Growing rapidly from the 1950s until it has nearly choked the freedom, privacy, pursuit of happiness, and trust out of a once proud country in a few short decades.

Perhaps we were too obsessed for too long with the pursuit of happiness and the acquisition of cheap plastic crap to notice what we were losing.

Not to worry though : "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear"

59 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So where the NSA look for words like; bomb, terrorist, Islam, etc. The Thai police will be filtering out key worlds like; democracy, freedom of speach, protest, etc.

Thailand, as the world moves forward, this really is the worst time to be moving backwards. You will isolate yourselves. 

Are you joking? Thailand is moving forward precisely like the rest of the world now! You don't think they dreamed up this whole surveillance thing by themselves do you?

I'm not clear on how you think that the world is moving forward. Certainly not in the ways of freedom, human rights, or privacy.

We are all penned sheep waiting to be sheared and milked. Don't think sheep can be milked? Ah, that's where technology comes in handy.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

are

Please. I hope you are being sarcastic. I can't speak to the UK, but the USA is already well down this infamous ous road to serfdom of the masses.

You are either hopelessly naive or just maliciously provocative. In either case I won't waste much time refuting your arguments.

Long Live Freedom. Freedom Is Dead.

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And so the move towards a police state continues and innocent people should be worried about that.

O really tell that to the rest of the world who are being spied on by 17 surveillance American agencies.

Edited by Farang hunter