Report - Got Tourist Visa In Penang With No Problem

Went to Penang, Malaysia last week (on Dec.18), and got a tourist visa without any problems. (I’ve been extending my visa at Mae Sai every month for the past 5 years or so). Here are some things I learned:

-- Applications for visas are accepted at the Thai consulate in the morning (9am-12 noon), to be picked up on the afternoon of the following day (2-5 pm, I think). Cost – 100 RM (=1000 baht); two passport size photos are required.

-- The Thai consulate does not accept payment in baht. (My assumption that it would led to some lost time and an increased taxi fare). -- Taxis into town from the Penang airport are a lot cheaper if you walk out to the main road (about a half kilometer from the airport) and get a taxi there.

-- The Thai consulate in Penang is closed on Christmas Day. (I was told the opposite when I called the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

-- The money exchange rate at the airport isn’t bad. (I got 98.8 RM [ringit] for 1000 baht; the rate with money changers on the street is 100RM for 1000 baht.) Money changers close shop at around 7 pm. I couldn’t find any banks that gave ringit for baht.

-- It’s impossible to find a decent hotel for prices equal to those in Thailand. I finally settled for a fair room at the Oriental Hotel for 75 RM (=750 baht) per night. The air conditioning was pretty good (though the temperature could not be adjusted), and the hot water was also ok, though warm rather than hot.

-- The weather in Penang even in December is very hot and muggy.

-- There’s a good theater with a fair choice of English movies on the top floor of the mall (Prangin?), though it’s kind of hard to find the theater entrance.

Hope this helps someone.

- Daeng

I'll be going to Penang on tuesday to do the same. My question to you is , did they issue the tourist visa as single entry only or is it multiple entry ? Also is it valid for 2 months or 3 months ?Up till now I've been crossing over into Malaysia via the Betong checkpoint on a regular basis but now theve counted the days since October 06 and my 90 days is up so no choice but to get visa. Any further info would be appreciated.Really need multi entry...

I’ve been extending my visa at Mae Sai every month for the past 5 years or so

Congratulations on your first real visa after 5 years in Thailand on visa-exempt border runs. It didn’t hurt, did it? And you will probably find that in the long run it costs you even less than those monthly border runs. It fills your passport up a little faster, though.

Remember that you can apply at any immigration office for a 30-day extension of stay after having entered on a tourist visa. The fee is 1,900 Baht. Another new experience is awaiting you: you will see the inside of an immigration office.

Enjoy your life in Thailand!

--

Maestro

I assume poster obtained a one entry tourist visa as Penang reportedly only issues single entry visas presently. A tourist visa is valid for 3 months from date of issue (you have 3 months to enter Thailand) but provides a 60 day permitted to stay for those from countries allowed 30 day entry without visa and normally allows a 30 day extension of stay to be obtained from immigration office.

Went to Penang, Malaysia last week (on Dec.18), and got a tourist visa without any problems. (I’ve been extending my visa at Mae Sai every month for the past 5 years or so). Here are some things I learned:

-- Applications for visas are accepted at the Thai consulate in the morning (9am-12 noon), to be picked up on the afternoon of the following day (2-5 pm, I think). Cost – 100 RM (=1000 baht); two passport size photos are required.

-- The Thai consulate does not accept payment in baht. (My assumption that it would led to some lost time and an increased taxi fare). -- Taxis into town from the Penang airport are a lot cheaper if you walk out to the main road (about a half kilometer from the airport) and get a taxi there.

-- The Thai consulate in Penang is closed on Christmas Day. (I was told the opposite when I called the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

-- The money exchange rate at the airport isn’t bad. (I got 98.8 RM [ringit] for 1000 baht; the rate with money changers on the street is 100RM for 1000 baht.) Money changers close shop at around 7 pm. I couldn’t find any banks that gave ringit for baht.

-- It’s impossible to find a decent hotel for prices equal to those in Thailand. I finally settled for a fair room at the Oriental Hotel for 75 RM (=750 baht) per night. The air conditioning was pretty good (though the temperature could not be adjusted), and the hot water was also ok, though warm rather than hot.

-- The weather in Penang even in December is very hot and muggy.

-- There’s a good theater with a fair choice of English movies on the top floor of the mall (Prangin?), though it’s kind of hard to find the theater entrance.

Hope this helps someone.

- Daeng

Thanks for this news, I'm an ex Mae Sai runner myself but am going to Vientiane on the 27th. Was a bit worried about the passport full of monthly entry stamps and was planning on putting my UK passport in for the tourist visa. May as well stick with the Oz one now, got more room in it.

I'll be going to Penang on tuesday to do the same. My question to you is , did they issue the tourist visa as single entry only or is it multiple entry ? Also is it valid for 2 months or 3 months ?Up till now I've been crossing over into Malaysia via the Betong checkpoint on a regular basis but now theve counted the days since October 06 and my 90 days is up so no choice but to get visa. Any further info would be appreciated.Really need multi entry...

Schackster - sorry to be getting back to you so late. Lopburi3 is correct - visa is single entry, for 60 days (according to the stamp I received at Immigration after flying back into Bangkok).

Note to Maestro - actually, its a Whole Lot more expensive than the monthly border runs:

- cost of getting the visa in Penang (including visa cost, air fare, two nights at a fair hotel, taxi fare, bus fare to and from Bangkok ), plus the one month visa extension: 15,000 baht

- cost of three border runs to Maesai (cost of entering Burma + cost of gas for my motorcycle): 2,400 baht

Going on the 11th of Jan, did it all through an Visa run agent. ( 2 afraid 2 do it by myself the first time ) Will post on how it went when I get back. On another note my friend has just got back from a visa run 2 the uk. He had no problem getting a 1 year O visa from Hull. ( he has no family in thailand, sponsor etc just put down he was visiting friends ) I will be getting one when the UK gets a bit warmer. June or July.

Plenty of cheap hotel in Penang along or near Chulia Street. Lowest I've seen is 19 ringit a night and for 59 ringit you get a nice room with air con, TV etc,and a whole range in between. Pretty much on a par with LOS. Chulia street is also quite good to spend the evening while waiting for your visa.

Schackster - sorry to be getting back to you so late. Lopburi3 is correct - visa is single entry, for 60 days (according to the stamp I received at Immigration after flying back into Bangkok).

Note to Maestro - actually, its a Whole Lot more expensive than the monthly border runs:

- cost of getting the visa in Penang (including visa cost, air fare, two nights at a fair hotel, taxi fare, bus fare to and from Bangkok ), plus the one month visa extension: 15,000 baht

- cost of three border runs to Maesai (cost of entering Burma + cost of gas for my motorcycle): 2,400 baht

I think I can do it for a bit less but still comes out to about $100usd per month add to my rent in chiangmai of $65 per month is still just a fraction of living expense in usa.

Penang is GREAT I love it! It is worth the trip !

Just back (Dec 28) from Penang for the 2nd tourist visa back to back with a extension in Bkk in between. No problems at all. Had a truckload of 30 day stamps before that.

At the airport in Bkk a quick look at the new visa a stamp till Feb 25 + a smile and " enjoy your stay" from the Immi-Lady.

:o

Just back (Dec 28) from Penang for the 2nd tourist visa back to back with a extension in Bkk in between. No problems at all. Had a truckload of 30 day stamps before that.

At the airport in Bkk a quick look at the new visa a stamp till Feb 25 + a smile and " enjoy your stay" from the Immi-Lady.

Just to add Vientiane is handing tourist visas out freely (I mean without question!), just got another myself a couple of days ago. For penang, try The Cathy Hotel on Leith Street.Wonderful old colonial hotel, huge rooms, very nice staff. Same price as previous posters Oriental and near chulia street too (2 mins walk).

:o

Just to add Vientiane is handing tourist visas out freely (I mean without question!), just got another myself a couple of days ago. For penang, try The Cathy Hotel on Leith Street.Wonderful old colonial hotel, huge rooms, very nice staff. Same price as previous posters Oriental and near chulia street too (2 mins walk).

You mean Cathay Hotel ? If so always ask for a room in the front part of the hotel and on the upper floor.

That's great news....gonna make a lot of people happy :o

I met Schackster recently. He managed to get a 90 days single entry :o and still grumbling.....