Loud Neighbors! What to do?

miraz16

I'm one of the posters who said move.

It's not an issue of fear.

As I stated, if it was 1 dog or 1 child there's a chance for mediation.

But multiple barking dogs and multiple screaming kids - these are inconsiderate people. If they weren't, there wouldn't be this situation.

Thinking that they will be able to train multiple dogs not to bark, and teach their children not to shout - I don't see it happening.

They may tone it down if neighbors and/or the police get involved, but "toning it down" to them will bring it to a still unacceptable level of intrusion and noise, based on my impression of reading the OP.

I would not confront them personally unless doing so with a group of neighbors.

Perhaps there is another neighbor who is annoyed but is silent about it.

He poisons one of the dogs.

Now the noisy neighbors are sure the OP did it because he went to them and complained.

If a group of neighbors meet with them, they won't know who to blame.

If I went to the police, I would ask them to keep me anonymous if the police are going to go speak to the neighbors.

Perhaps the father next door is a hot head, and the OP wakes up to tires slashed or his car keyed.

I wouldn't personally confront them unless there was a necessity for it which at this point there isn't. (I.e., get a group of neighbors together first, or go to the police and ask for anonymity).

Edited by JimmyJ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/1/2017 at 0:05 PM, wildewillie89 said:

I think a lot of people on here like to either exaggerate or try and make Thailand look a lot worse than it actually is. Maybe it fulfils some insecurities over masculinity, maybe you hear some bullshit stories from half drunk expats at the local bar, who knows. But having travelled to the insurgency down south. Having family who are mayors, public health official, high position army and police I get a good feel of what risks I am taking when approaching different situations. For example, I was lectured by the army before going into Yala. My uncle is boss of police in my city who I see regularly.

Tackling an issue on a few dogs barking has the least risk out of anything you can do in Thailand. Some of these comments are almost laughable. Unless you're so unlucky to have a gangster living next door (which you would know already most likely), then it is really a non-issue. If all of these stories were true my wife and her staff would have all been dead years ago and our house would be burnt down already haha. 

What about people who don't have the clout you and your family have.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:41 AM, wildewillie89 said:

I think you misunderstood haha. It isn't that far from Bangkok neighbourhood relations means that it is a booming city with city type personalities....it doesn't mean it is not far in terms of geographic locations. So your claim that it is more dangerous must imply that you are also claiming it is much more dangerous that down town Bangkok in terms of neighbour disputes....which is just not true.

How do I know? As all government officials do training together each year. So they go to each other's cities and train. If it was as dangerous as you claim, then my wife would know about this the couple times a year she does re-training in Phuket. Her Phuket colleagues would tell her that they are limited due to dangerous revenge, but they do not. Why? Because people do not kill/burn your house over a dog barking on the most part, they kill over something worth killing for. It is back to idea that Thai people are from the 'jungle'.  

Have a diplomatic conversation. If it doesnt resolve anything, make an anonymous complaint to the the public health director, who should investigate the nuisance if they are any good at their job. Anonymous means the person will never know that it is you who complained (so why is it a bad idea in your so populated area, could have been tens of people who complained). Your claims must imply that the person will literally burn down the whole street and kill everyone in revenge...that is how ridiculous your fear is. 

Seriously, moving is your response to everything? Why bother living in Thailand....

Possibly because when he took on the bother of living in Thailand he did not realise that his neighbour was going to be such a pain in the arse.

It's all very well if you have relatives in the police to squawk about but for the average falang ex pat or long termer calling on the plod to sort out your problems is rarely an option. Unless you slip them a drink they often have as little time for falangs as the average local has.

Moving is the only logical and practical solution for a tenant with no connections. You often hear the phrase 'Rent don't buy' in various circles regarding accommodation in the LOS. This case is one of the reasons why. The OP is lucky he rents.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Possibly because when he took on the bother of living in Thailand he did not realise that his neighbour was going to be such a pain in the arse.

It's all very well if you have relatives in the police to squawk about but for the average falang ex pat or long termer calling on the plod to sort out your problems is rarely an option. Unless you slip them a drink they often have as little time for falangs as the average local has.

Moving is the only logical and practical solution for a tenant with no connections. You often hear the phrase 'Rent don't buy' in various circles regarding accommodation in the LOS. This case is one of the reasons why. The OP is lucky he rents.

Connections are useful in nuisance cases of course, however, that was not the point i was making. All I am demonstrating is I have some idea of the law and processes someone can go through if they do encounter a nuisance case. Many it seems do not go through the right process here, whereas others who have gone through it have had successful outcomes (and not moved). You think the average Thai joe that goes down and makes a nuisance complaint has a connection to anyone in the office. Most likely not. However, their complaint gets dealt with, why, because it is the law.

Whether you are a farang does not have much as a relevance as some people like to believe on this forum. We do know that Tessabans employ native speakers each year to teach them English so they can handle such cases? We do know Bangkok gives a budget to every Tessaban, no matter how big or small, to do this yeah? It is not like we are excluded from the community like people think. If you do believe that we are racially excluded, just get your wife/gf/ whatever to make an anonymous complaint. 

Edited by wildewillie89

15 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I was asking Stevenl as he lives around here and was curious if he had any dealings with them.

As I said before I talked to my neighbors and our landlord, and the dogs are much quieter.

I don't go to the Chalong Police unless I don't really have a choice. Like when some punk drug dealer stole one of my motorbikes as he thought it was my ex's... 

But you seem to think you're somehow more Thai than the rest of us who have lived in Phuket for a decade or more. You do seem to have some good connections as do I. Even one of the most senior Phuket Immigration Officers came out of his office and wiped the wet seats off outside as he said hello. I keep my head under the radar and really never have had any major issues with anyone. Most of the old Thais around my town know me and my wife and are very helpful at times. The Deputy Or Bor Tor took my car to get reupholstered for us, my  neighbor is one of the head Civil Defense guys, he took my car to get body work. My wife doesn't drive, and they all said I would get over charged. Another neighbor ordered a new car battery delivered and it was way cheaper than I paid for the same one. My mechanic is totally a cool guy as I've known him for many years. Even my barber changes me the Thai price. But I've found that things are a bit different in Phuket than up in Sa Kaeo where my wife is from and I visit. Or in many other parts of the country where I visit friends and family... 

More Thai and understanding the processes are two different things. I cannot speak and have no intention of learning Thai, I dont like Thai food, and I will not participate in a lot of the social/cultural beliefs that I think are just not right for my child or I. I would say I am the least Thai person and do not believe (like many on here), you have to have this bullshit 'I love Thailand and accept all' thinking to live here. You must constructively criticise to move forward (as much as Thais dont like it). The Director of Pubic Health for the whole of the South of Thailand is now discussing some of my observations/criticisms I have as an outsider with his staff to implement changes for example. I spend my time with Thai people who think similar to me so I am quite happy living here. However, being lucky enough to marry into a family who have studied/worked hard to reach the top, I understand the processes that many people maybe do not understand so therefore, it seems, move when they really dont have to. 

I do apologise for any misunderstandings though (re the police station question). And yes, it is good to keep your head down. I do also on the whole, but on a forum like this I believe sticking it up can help others. My wife had a tough childhood (grew up border Thai/Cambodia - army town) when she was young as many parents didnt let other kids play with her (due to her father being high in the military before taking early retirement to become the Mayor back in their hometown). She didnt tell me about  her family at any point, her best friend did 2 years into the relationship. She has taught me the benefit of keeping your head down, as her father has. I do believe you are right to keep your head down. We have naturally had threats to our family over political issues (not nuisance) so I dont mean people should cause unnecessary issues, but everyone has a right to live within the law so if it can be handled in the proper manner, then it should be. 

Edited by wildewillie89

I have the best proven solution.
Turn their night into day with some floodlights.
Noisy neighbours soon yield when the light is engulfing their house through the night like a second Sun.
No noise and not illegal. They called the police and said the light was too much but nothing the police can do as its my lights and for home security.

They soon shut up.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

I got rather annoyed by our newest neighbors and their 3 yapping dogs. I didn't want to hear them anymore last Saturday night! I cranked up some rock and reggae until midnight. They've been quiet at least 4 days now! I tried talking to them, after my other neighbors talked to me. The neighbors told me they tried to talk to them too, but they never listen. Loud reggae seemed to work better than talking!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I got rather annoyed by our newest neighbors and their 3 yapping dogs. I didn't want to hear them anymore last Saturday night! I cranked up some rock and reggae until midnight. They've been quiet at least 4 days now! I tried talking to them, after my other neighbors talked to me. The neighbors told me they tried to talk to them too, but they never listen. Loud reggae seemed to work better than talking!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

IMG_2650.JPG

"Sometimes you gotta fight to achieve peace ". Andy Dwyer