Brazilian rape victim given 20,000 baht compensation

webfact

Brazilian rape victim given 20,000 baht compensation

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

1406367230_f74eae6d99_b-696x464.jpg  

Photo: Dennis Yang / Flickr

BANGKOK — The government paid 20,000 baht compensation Thursday to a Brazilian woman sexually assaulted by a Bangkok taxi driver.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry handed the victim 20,000 baht, in addition to paying for her medical and travel expenses. “I’m truly saddened by the incident, and I thank the police officers who did the hard work to arrest the perpetrator,” Permanent Secretary Pongpanu Sawetrun said.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/04/28/brazilian-rape-victim-given-20000-baht-compensation/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-04-28

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this for real??????

20.000 baht bloody insult.

So this government is saying rape is not a serious crime.

Poor woman suffered at the hands of an animal who should have already been in jail, not have been freed.

Nice 1 Thailand, wait until the international media get hold of that.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

If this for real??????

Poor woman suffered at the hands of an animal who should have already been in jail, not have been freed.

Anything is a bloody win, what government pays for crimes it doesn't commit?

No this doesn't mean the government is saying rape is not a serious crime.

Man had already served time, despite two crime of the same MO, i'm honestly too amazed he didn't receive longer sentencing the second time around.

Remember the government is trying to help her by paying medical, travel expenses and then giving some cash.  The real restitution should come from the criminal

and those that permitted him to work as a driver without proper clearance. 

2 hours ago, jcisco said:

Anything is a bloody win, what government pays for crimes it doesn't commit?

No this doesn't mean the government is saying rape is not a serious crime.

Man had already served time, despite two crime of the same MO, i'm honestly too amazed he didn't receive longer sentencing the second time around.

Remember the government is trying to help her by paying medical, travel expenses and then giving some cash.  The real restitution should come from the criminal

and those that permitted him to work as a driver without proper clearance. 

The government are culpabale as this is a govenement registered taxi cab. 

A proper check of the driver and this wouldn't have happened. 

If this for real?????? 20.000 baht bloody insult.

Read the few sentences... Says also medical expenses covered. And yes pain and suffering compensation is low. But do western gov'ts pay their tourists when victims of crime? No.

This is a truly sad case and no amount of money will make up for the trauma this young lady suffered. I hope the perp gets a long prison sentence this time. I wish Thailand had a perp record of all criminals to prevent events like this occurring again. Not going to happen yet, but maybe international travel agencies could force the issue.

6 hours ago, jerojero said:

Read the few sentences... Says also medical expenses covered. And yes pain and suffering compensation is low. But do western gov'ts pay their tourists when victims of crime? No.

Your comment is totally incorrect.

The UK government does.

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

If this for real??????

I just shared this and would encourage others to do the same, money might be the way to silence Thai's, but it doesn't silence falangs, especially for this heinous crime.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Where the promotional photo shoot with the big check and all the smiles?

Someone said "Thailand doesn't get it" and that is so true....

No money should be discussed publicly; only charges and the trial at this point.....

The gov should pick up all costs/ssupport for the victim at this time but don't glee/promote about it....

Again, gets at the lack of morality in this culture....l 

I wonder how much his first two victims received?

The country could be out of pocket something like 40k baht for 3 rapes. I have seen one night Bar Bins for more than that.

Disgraceful thinking to pay this money to this poor girl. What she must have gone through deserves way more. Would 3 million be enough? I doubt it in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, robertthesculptor said:

Paid her off like she was s hooker...so wrong

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's your assumption, she was given compensation albeit doesn't appear that much, however this is not the US or a western society so giving huge payouts is not conversant with the country or it's economy.

Hope she has recovered from her ordeal and it's always advisable to have a friend with you when traveling in unfamiliar countries.

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

That's your assumption, she was given compensation albeit doesn't appear that much, however this is not the US or a western society so giving huge payouts is not conversant with the country or it's economy.

Hope she has recovered from her ordeal and it's always advisable to have a friend with you when traveling in unfamiliar countries.

I think no payout is better than this insult.