Video: "Negligent" foreign tourist on big bike slams into Thais

rooster59

Not a very mature, competent bike rider.  Bike riding anywhere, but especially here, is totally defensive.  I only ride a small motorbike, around the immediate neighborhood area, small sois.   Any further, out on the main roads/highway, I take the truck.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that he, 

1. Should have had a helmet on, and

2. Shouldn't have done the under take, however,

if you look at the video, he was on his side of the road and as such was in the right, although in Thailand he would've been in the wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Pedro 58 said:

It's true that he, 

if you look at the video, he was on his side of the road and as such was in the right, although in Thailand he would've been in the wrong. 

The bike he hit was on the correct side of the road as well, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear before turning right. 

He is demonstrating careless riding habits that are all too common here.  He was doing great, cocky, confident....right up until he slammed into a stationary object. 

I learned and practiced the "3 E's" in traffic/roadway management many years ago.  1. Engineering 2. Education 3. Enforcement. 

All 3 are woefully inadequate here, which is why Thailand has a dismal international reputation for road accidents.

The surprising thing, to me, is that the motorcyclist waiting to turn right was on the crown of the road (correct) whereas most motorcyclists that I see sit in their lane on the shoulder looking both ways to wait for a safe opportunity to turn because even they know that taking position on the crown of the road and signalling their intent to turn is more dangerous. 

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Probably doesnt even have a bike licence as you dont need one to hire

So many Europeans coming here on holiday that has never driven even a scooter,renting a large motor bike and either harming themselfs or others in the process of trying to  

mimic Valentino Rossi.

Of course the blame game isn't only for bikers.

"

Police at the scene tried to twist it into being my fault, with witnesses saying I was one more lane across despite all the mess being clearly on my side of the road. He was too <deleted> to comment at the time.

Thanks to the video the matter was cleared up without issue, my insurer will cover everything (he caused about 100,000 baht of damages) and he'll spend the next few years paying off my insurer. He also got fined 400 baht."

2 hours ago, Pedro 58 said:

It's true that he, 

Even though he was on his side of the road, he was in the wrong hitting another vehicle in front of him.

12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

He's just trying to fit in.

I can see that you are eager to drag thai people in to the conversation as quick as possibly. 

Just try to understand that this was a foreigner doing the wrong thing, and that it ain´t funny.

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

The bike he hit was on the correct side of the road as well, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear before turning right. 

I have made that right hand turn from the ring road onto the beach road hundreds of times. The sight distances are adequate both ways unless you are an idiot.

4 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

Clearly bad driving. Undertaking (and at speed) then overtaking without due care. But don't be quite so quick to judge. Look closely, he never actually crosses the line, it's the "victim" vehicle that is stopped straddling it and actually sticking its nose into oncoming traffic, and on an unsighted bend. Plus it's a solid line and so should never be crossed at all (not that that matters in this country both with driving style and poor road design).

And if they're going to talk about helmets they should mention that the "victims" weren't wearing any either.

Like every case here in the real world blame can be assigned in some proportion on both sides.  In this case it's a lot more on the big bike though.

Personally I care more about why everyone has to be so blythely racist. It doesn't matter in the slightest that the rider was Caucasian (I despise that word Fa**ng) and it shouldn't either to the racist posters in this forum nor to the racist commentator in the video pointing out the "Fa**ng" (an object not a person [Thai language]) with his pencil as if his ethnicity is a salient point in the investigation, before pointing out himself casually walking over for a closer look at the gore (he even explains he's going in for a closer look).

These accidents happen everyday all across this country. Reducing them is a big challenge for the Kingdom and one that will require action on many fronts, but falling back on racial stereotypes is not one of them.

Is the law of not turning on a solid white line a thai law or a law from your home country?

i realise you cannot overtake on solid lines but I'm having trouble finding anything specifically stating you can not turn.

Is the law of not turning on a solid white line a thai law or a law from your home country? i realise you cannot overtake on solid lines but I'm having trouble finding anything specifically stating you can not turn.

Every intersection on Samui has full line, do not overtake in intersection, off course you can turn.

Narrow road, villages, hills curves, basically you can not overtake on half the ringroad but nobody cares.

Had a close call the other year, turning out right on the ringroad, car coming from left had indicators to turn right, nooooooo he was overtaking in a busy intersection [emoji35]

I had my then three year old son with me.

He honked his horn and gave me the finger..... It was a western man in a Fortuner.

36 minutes ago, MadMuhummad said:

Is the law of not turning on a solid white line a thai law or a law from your home country?

i realise you cannot overtake on solid lines but I'm having trouble finding anything specifically stating you can not turn.

It's an old site, and can be wonky due to translation, but this is what I found.  Section 51 pertains to left/right turns. 

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/traffic-laws-in-thailand-a-translation-from-www-bkkriders-com.9367/

4 hours ago, Pedro 58 said:

It's true that he, 

No he was in the wrong, he overtook when it was not safe to do so.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Just try to understand that this was a foreigner doing the wrong thing, and that it ain´t funny.

Actually...

The Thais were stopped where they shouldn't have been stopped. There was no legal right turn for them to make. It is a non-broken yellow line. 

20 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Actually...

The Thais were stopped where they shouldn't have been stopped. There was no legal right turn for them to make. It is a non-broken yellow line. 

And how can you tell they were trying to make a turn? Just irresponsible driving by the guy on the big bike....:sad:

31 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

And how can you tell they were trying to make a turn? Just irresponsible driving by the guy on the big bike.

As reported, and by watching the video.

Don't stop in the middle of the road, on a bend, to cross a solid a yellow line. 

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Actually...

" It is a non-broken yellow line."..which means no overtaking..

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

As reported, and by watching the video.

Don't stop in the middle of the road, on a bend, to cross a solid a yellow line. 

It's hardly a bend and an unbroken yellow line just means no overtaking, the biker is in the wrong and the Thais did nothing wrong.

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

It's hardly a bend and an unbroken yellow line just means no overtaking, the biker is in the wrong and the Thais did nothing wrong.

+1

and any decent rider would never get so close to vehicle in front as you then have closed down your vision/field of view, safe distance behind until safe to overtake at appropriate place

7 hours ago, fasteddie said:

an unbroken yellow line just means no overtaking

You're wrong.

Dividinglines

A yellow line indicates the division of a two way traffic road (it’s the center line), whether a white line indicates a lane. A solid line can’t be crossed, whereas a broken line can be crossed if it is safe to do so.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/road-markings-and-traffic-lights/

An unbroken solid line cannot be crossed.

The Thais were wrong to stop (on a bend) in the center of the road, in order to illegally cross a very easily seen solid yellow dividing line.

Happy Grumpy, please just take the Happy out of your name.
The yellow line is irrelevant and imaterial. As a biker I would lay 100% of the blame on the guy on the big bike. Rule #1 of riding is that if you cannot see where you are going then proceed with caution. Biker guy passed a vehicle without being able to see if it was safe to do so on a rising blind curve.
To place the blame on anybody else is quite simply assinine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/30/2017 at 5:08 AM, rooster59 said:

Police urged all rental shops on the island to only rent bikes to people with licenses and to insist on helmet wearing.

That's about half the Thai population disqualified from riding a bike 

17 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Actually...

I just give up. Appearently just another one that comes to Thailand and make the locals wrong all the time.
Ever considered moving or visit some other places where you can fit right in.

Clearly the Thais making an illegal turn and stopped dangerously in the middle of the road also at fault here.

Negligent driving by both parties = accident.

The folks on the scooter bear absolutely no blame here.
As quoted earlier you are permitted to cross a solid line when safe to do so in order to access a side street.
Take a drive around and see how many streets are on the wrong side of a solid line. Please, in future engage brain before keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app