Tourists injured as digger rips open tour bus roof north of Phuket

webfact

Tourists injured as digger rips open tour bus roof north of Phuket

Eakkapop Thongtub

1493615257_1-org.jpg

The impact with the digger's excavating arm ripped open the tour bus roof. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Two Chinese tourists have been hospitalised after the tour bus they were travelling in slammed into a roadside digger in Thai Muang, north of Phuket, yesterday (April 30).

Rescue workers were called to the scene, at the entrance to Moo Baan Hua Nam, at about 10am after receiving a report that a bus had part of its roof ripped open in the collision.

Officers arrived to find the bus, registered in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, still in the middle of the road.

Bus driver Chairat Nonthakaew, 52, escaped with minor injuries, but two tourists, named as Wan Yibing and Ai Zijins, had already been taken to Thai Muang Hospital.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourists-injured-as-digger-rips-open-tour-bus-roof-north-of-phuket-61990.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-01

Just now, LivinginKata said:

Likely no road works early warning signs.

Likely inattentive bus driver.

= accident waiting to happen

That area is one big roadwork at the moment. So unless the digger was at the real beginning of the works, it was solely the bus driver's inattentiveness.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That area is one big roadwork at the moment. So unless the digger was at the real beginning of the works, it was solely the bus driver's inattentiveness.

I have looked at all the news photos but it's not clear what happened.

But I can deduce that the bucket arm was over the road. Likely the digger driver was swiveling the bucket.So there should have been warnings, like cones to alert all oncoming drivers. Maybe the bus driver was inattentive but the digger driver was negligent ... in my opinion. 

Phuket is the biggest road hazard nightmare every <deleted> day.

Today in chalong on foot on the sidewalk nearly went into a 7 foot deep  18 inch wide gap spanning the entire sidewalk  at the circle ,a cone was placed 2 meteres away.

Those diggers are never properly barracaded.i bet they kill people every day in thailand

But hey what can you say other than its a <deleted> hole here in  phuket every day. All they do is dig holes.