Several injured as Aeroflot flight hits turbulence before landing in Bangkok

webfact

As the Flightradar24 track does show that SU270 appears to deviate just prior to the turbulence event, and also that two aircraft before SU270 also deviate, I began to think that this was not a case of clear air turbulence, but rather some weather along the track. In fact, that seems to be the case from this tweet, where SU270's flight path is overlaid on a weather satellite photo taken at the time of the turbulence.

So if this graphic is accurate, it does look like SU270 began to deviate, but too late and not quite enough then punched right into the thunderstorm. This of course would be have been clearly and intensely visible on their cockpit radar. So if all this is true, why were the fasten seat belt lights not on? Could that be why they are trying  to blame all this on unexpected clear air turbulence?

Why didn't the pilot extend the speedbrakes?

On 5/2/2017 at 4:54 PM, Prbkk said:

I took Aeroflot a few months ago. We were delayed due to "medical emergency" just prior to pushback. Fortunately the presumed heart attack/stroke turned out to be just paralytic drunk...for a 1000 departure from BKK. 

Other than that incident,p it's pretty good, I've flown on far, far worse EG United, AA, Delta, BA, QF

I agree. I opted to fly Aeroflot rather than the direct flight flight via UI Airways (that saves 4 hours). 

On 5/1/2017 at 5:12 PM, DrTuner said:

There's a reason I avoid Aeroflot like the plague. Lucky it was a 777 that didn't break into pieces.

Turbulence is unable to differentiate between airline liveries.

Had this happen once on a japan airlines flight, guy across the aisle hit the ceiling. 

My seatbelt stays on at all times.

On 5/1/2017 at 10:55 PM, darksidedog said:

I have been in very nasty turbulence once and that was all it took for me to keep my seat belt on at all times other than when I get up to go to the toilet.

I hope the injured recover soon and airlines take notice. These sort of injuries have occurred before and will again.

Seat belts should be worn on a plane the whole time, other than when absolutely necessary.

Every time I fly they put up a sign saying keep belt on at all times when sitting. Even if the airline didn't do that it's just common sense.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:36 PM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Why didn't the pilot extend the speedbrakes?

??????? It's not Top Gun. The "speedbrakes" on a commercial airliner are deployed to brake the plane AFTER landing when everyone is strapped in. Even if it was possible to deploy them in flight, it would cause even more damage than occured, and the plane might stall.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????? It's not Top Gun. The "speedbrakes" on a commercial airliner are deployed to brake the plane AFTER landing when everyone is strapped in. Even if it was possible to deploy them in flight, it would cause even more damage than occured, and the plane might stall.

Did you ever have a window seat with a view of the wing? Happen to notice the small slat that lifted when you began a descent? That is a speed brake, as in:

That really does look like the aircraft is airborne and not AFTER landing. 

Did the aircraft become damaged or stall?

16 minutes ago, bubba said:

Did you ever have a window seat with a view of the wing? Happen to notice the small slat that lifted when you began a descent? That is a speed brake, as in:

That really does look like the aircraft is airborne and not AFTER landing. 

Did the aircraft become damaged or stall?

Can't be bothered to go research, so, yes, probably a speed brake, but is it "normal" procedure to use them while in flight to stop running into turbulence? Pilots spend hundreds of hours training in flight simulators for every eventuality, so would they not have done so if it was procedure?

Well it is fairly obvious you could not be bothered to do even basic research, but trust me, that is most definitely a speed brake deployed in flight on a Boeing 777.

They are used to increase drag to increase the descent rate and lose altitude more rapidly, usually in preparation for landing.

"There are 7 sets of spoilers, 5 outboard and 2 inboard of the flaperons, on the upper surface of each wing. The spoilers are numbered from left to right, 1 through 14. Spoilers on opposing wings are symmetrically paired.

Spoiler panels are used as speedbrakes to increase drag and reduce lift, both in flight and on the ground. The spoilers also supplement roll control in response to control wheel commands. Spoiler panels 5 and 10 are locked out during cruise, depending on altitude and airspeed. 

Flight Controls B777 System Description 27 JUL 16"

On 5/1/2017 at 4:12 PM, DrTuner said:

There's a reason I avoid Aeroflot like the plague. Lucky it was a 777 that didn't break into pieces.

Only Aeroflot hit air turbulence? I see.

What other marques tend to break into pieces when they hit turbulence?

1 hour ago, bubba said:

Well it is fairly obvious you could not be bothered to do even basic research, but trust me, that is most definitely a speed brake deployed in flight on a Boeing 777.

They are used to increase drag to increase the descent rate and lose altitude more rapidly, usually in preparation for landing.

IMHO Philippine Airlines are the consummate masters of the art of dive-bombing their home airport.

(For context, this based on two flights, 18 years apart and the last one about 5 years ago.)

On 5/4/2017 at 8:56 AM, Toshiba66 said:

If you watch the Russian video from on-board it shows lots and lots of empty seats. Not many Russians coming here for holidays.

The empty seats are because the occupants are either stuck in the overheads, queuing for the dunnies or flat out on the floor.

This is about air turbulence and not about TAT's inflated visitor numbers.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The empty seats are because the occupants are either stuck in the overheads, queuing for the dunnies or flat out on the floor.

This is about air turbulence and not about TAT's inflated visitor numbers.

If you watched the video you would see the seats are empty because they are empty. Lucky they were or more people would have been injured flying through the middle of the CB.

I was once on an United Airlines flight that dropped 2500 feet coming over the Rocky Mountains on a flight from San Francisco to Boston.

That is why  experienced pilots turn on seat belt warning signs  when flying over mountain ranges.

Yes, Jets stop on the runway using spoilers, speedbrakes, reverse thrust, and by deploying the flappes.

The speedbrakes are used in flight to increase rate of deceleration or descent.

16 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I was once on an United Airlines flight that dropped 2500 feet coming over the Rocky Mountains on a flight from San Francisco to Boston.

That is why  experienced pilots turn on seat belt warning signs  when flying over mountain ranges.

Had a bumpy ride to Vegas from LA a few years ago.  First we dropped maybe 2000 feet, then the side winds made the whole plane almost turn on the side , the funny thing is that the pilot was talking all the time to calm down the nervous passengers  don't worry , this is "normal" .

Not so funny , I was happy we all escaped from it without injuries. 

On 5/5/2017 at 6:10 PM, NanLaew said:

IMHO Philippine Airlines are the consummate masters of the art of dive-bombing their home airport.

(For context, this based on two flights, 18 years apart and the last one about 5 years ago.)

Runway 24 is surrounded by hills and Air traffic control need to keep you high until the last few miles, so it is always a bit of a steep turn and drop going that direction. Runway 06 not so much.

On Aeroflot flights......

while the plane is still taxiing most passengers are unbuckled and gathering their 4 handbags .

Then they storm through the hallway to be the first out ...........but again...who are we to judge on

others way of life . Good manners are different for other people........

So adapt....or stay away.  

• 11 months later...

3 weeks ago went through severe clear air turbulence on a flight to Singapore from Manila. Been flying around 100 flights a year for over 35 years now and first time ever.

Don't mind saying I <deleted> myself. Lol

14 hours ago, hagler said:

on a flight to Singapore from Manila

Let me guess , the turbulence happened an hour or two after you left Manila ?