Immigration home visit.

This Friday immigration will come to my house for my very 1st 1 year extension of my Non O visa based upon marriage.

Any idea what I should expect.

I am aware I need 2 neighbours Tabian Ban and ID photocopied and immigration will take photos of myself and my wife with these neighbours.

Anything else?

• Haha 1

If their into it, they'll ask a bunch of background questions, some stuff about daily life, how you met and what you do. They may ask to take some pictures (or have a look) - presumably to verify those attached to visa/extension application conform. We made do with one neighbor, btw - but they did want a copy of his ID as well (which luckily he had).

Edited by Morch
  • Haha 1

The exercise is to confirm that you are living together as husband and wife (many are not) so take it in that light - both of you having clothing in house and know a bit about each other - and neighbor that sees you around.  Should be routine.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

When Did this start.......??? Been Married & Living here for 22 Years Never had A " Home " Visit Ever.....

It's become common place over the past 2/3 years, although has always been an option for immigration.

It's part crackdown on fake marriages, and part for security. It usually only happens with the first extension or when changing offices.

• Like 1

The first time I did an extension based upon marriage, a home visit was required. This was in Phuket, about 3 years ago. When submitting the application, the immigration officer made it clear that he expected some sort of "compensation" when he would come for the visit the next day (a Saturday).

He arrived with his wife in a new Fortuner, and never even entered the house. We had our neighbor come over with a copy of her tabien baan, and we all posed for a group picture outside of the house. The officer asked me to print a copy of the picture, and subsequently departed with the picture, tabien baan copy and an envelope.  No questions, no looking around - nothing.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

question. why do people get marriage visas when retirement visas are so much easier to get? (as long as you are over 50 that is) marriage visas seem to be difficult. 

1. Age - Too young to get the retirement extension.

2. Finances - Cannot show the required funds for the retirement extension.

3. Working in Thailand and using marriage as reason for extension, this saves the hassle of sorting out a further extension etc. if employment finishes and is actually a lot less hassle than obtaining an extension based on employment.

Probably loads more reasons.

Though not disagreeing that if they can do on retirement then it is a lot easier.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Oh good, two more of the "I have been living here x number of years and it has never happened to me club" 

One more, more than 10 years several different immigration offices and never a suggestion of a home visit or request for any money.

However, I wear a tie when I visit immigration and I am very polite, always have all my documents and most importantly I have two small children - which seems to make everything easy with my paperwork in Thailand.

As for being part of a club I do feel that being a father makes me part of the Parents Club - not exclusive, and lots of dies to pay but the best one that I have ever joined. Just thinking of my kids as I type puts me in a good mood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

The first time I did an extension based upon marriage, a home visit was required. This was in Phuket, about 3 years ago. When submitting the application, the immigration officer made it clear that he expected some sort of "compensation" when he would come for the visit the next day (a Saturday).

He arrived with his wife in a new Fortuner, and never even entered the house. We had our neighbor come over with a copy of her tabien baan, and we all posed for a group picture outside of the house. The officer asked me to print a copy of the picture, and subsequently departed with the picture, tabien baan copy and an envelope.  No questions, no looking around - nothing.

Did he get his "compensation"? I presume he meant a brown envelope with some tea money in it. did you give him it?

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

question. why do people get marriage visas when retirement visas are so much easier to get? (as long as you are over 50 that is) marriage visas seem to be difficult. 

Another case of don't make things easy if you can make them hard.  This is Thailand.

5 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Is it like a requirement? That first year you will be visited by immigration. Or are these visits random?

Normal is only a home visit for the first extension. They call to be sure you are going to home.

Some offices have people bring witnesses with you when you do the application instead of doing the home visit.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

One more, more than 10 years several different immigration offices and never a suggestion of a home visit or request for any money.

However, I wear a tie when I visit immigration and I am very polite, always have all my documents and most importantly I have two small children - which seems to make everything easy with my paperwork in Thailand.

As for being part of a club I do feel that being a father makes me part of the Parents Club - not exclusive, and lots of dies to pay but the best one that I have ever joined. Just thinking of my kids as I type puts me in a good mood.

On the tie thing. I remember about 5 years ago going to immigration. Jontiem was wearing a suit and tie. Sat waiting for my number to come up. Immigration officer walks over to me with a cup of water in hand. Gives me water and says why you come here in suit to hot next time shorts and shirt ok. I would normaly go in shorts and shirt but had just finished a meeting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

I wonder if the envelope sealed the deal??

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

I have an idea, could it be something to do a bank?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Also there is a huge number of knowingless people, that actually believes, that because they happens to be married to a thai-lady,,,, they MUST go the way of extension based on marriage...

They just do not know any better...

Glegolo

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Retirement visa:

- over 50 years old

- 800 000 Baht in bank

Marriage visa:

- get married

- 400 000 Baht in bank

i bet you there is not a single case where it worked out cheaper to just get a marriage visa. all the guys i know who got married to a thai girl lost more than 400 000thb. 10 years in thailand and i dont know a single case of a successful western thai marriage.

• Like 1

Just now, glegolo said:

Hahaha what a nonsense talk.... I been here 9 years now, and I have only heard about ONE single failure when it comes to marriage. The rest is just fine...... I think that you have to relocate, and get out of Pattaya or where you are living....

Glegolo

its true from what i have seen. i did spend 6 months up in rural esan and in the village i stayed in there were several nice houses but the western men who paid for them did not live in them. actually a couple never even got to the stage of being completed. again this is what i have seen. you may have seen differently.