Video: Minivan driver and conductress fined after fight with monk in Roi-Et

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually after watching the video I feel a bit sorry for the driver and his wife, the monk had a swing at the women provoking the husband to defend her.

His orange robe & monk status does not give him god like powers to behave in that manner.

Later you see the monk in traditional Thai manner trying to "sucker punch" the driver again provoking further violence.

OK the driver and wife team have had their punishment served.. so what about the scum dressed in orange?

Yes I use the word scum as he is no more of a monk than I am....  he should be severely punished by the powers to be as he is as much in the wrong as anyone.

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Deplorable behavior by all parties.

Why is it deplorable by all parties? The guy defended his wife. There is nothing deplorable in that. I would do exactly the same if anyone was nasty to my wife.

With no social welfare system in Thailand, those with criminal records who cannot join the Police force, who are too useless or lazy to find a conventional paying job as a laborer or taxi driver turn to monk-hood... 

I often wonder how many of these monks are criminals who have no other alternative and are ticking time bombs...  It would seem, a lot more than we think. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Tricky one.

If the monk spat on the floor of the bus, in my opinion, he's out of order for doing so. He should set an example. After all he, holds a very privileged position within Thai society and should act accordingly.

Acting violent is not the done thing by both parties involved.

In my opinion, the monk was rude, and this not acceptable.

I say this as a foreigner, but get arguing with my Thai GF, because as Thai it is not alowed to speak dirty to a monk

Anyway this are Thai habits and as farang have to accept.

But again for me the monk is not a monk but a guy with a orange robe.

My friend sent me this link, and as soon as I finished watching it, I told her I felt bad for the driver because now a lot of people will hate him or criticise him when he wasn't even wrong, and she said why would they do that? The monk hit attacked them first.

Then as soon as I went onto the Facebook link, everyone was blaming the driver, stuff like

'if you speak bad to someone you can expect to get hit' 

'whatever happens, hitting a monk is a sin'

blah blah blah, but 90% of the comments were saying the driver was wrong and the monk was correct. 

It's funny if you compare the comments on here vs the comments of the Thai people. 100% people here say the monk was wrong, 90% of them say the monk was correct.

4 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Two wrongs don't make a right!!!

Except the guy did nothing wrong. He defended his wife against an aggressor, and then he defended himself against an aggressor. This is all on the "monk".

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Hitting a monk is a sin? lol. They are not special, they are just people like the rest of us. I only have respect for monks if they are good people, not because of what they wear. If they do wrong, they should expect reparations like anyone. A monk hits me or mine, he is going down.

Well done the driver. Unfortunately, as if on cue, Thailand has the punishment ass-backards as per usual.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I was on a Bangkok bus not long after I came here, there were plenty of seats available, a monk came on and gestured to me rudely to

get up and give him my seat, I told him to <deleted> off, and he did. I then checked to see if anyone had any preference for where I was sitting, there

was no notice at my seat, not even in Thai.

I think maybe he wanted my seat as it was next to the door, or he did not want to share with anybody. I just hate the way they expect preference

over people for things, but they won't be getting any from me.

Monks always sit next to the door as it means they can get on and off without having to brush against any female passengers, if the bus gets crowded.

It is quite clear from the video the monk is the aggressor. He hit the woman first, then later he started again hitting the male from the rear. Typical Thai justice, they always get it wrong. I hope karma works and the monk gets his very soon.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

You'd thinks monks are much more calm and placid people with all that

meditations and attaining enlightenments and self control.. apparently

not so much...they're just like any of us...

The monks in Thailand have no credibility whatsoever.  Many are petty criminals choosing a session in the orange robes instead of imprisonment.  Why anyone shows them any "respect" is beyond me.  Mind you I am not keen on Catholic priests either!

The monk represents Buddha I think. But over the past years in Thailand the respect for the Buddhist religion and it's monks seems to have taken a major down turn.

What is going on in Los? Amazing Thailand indeed!

Let's put it this way. When I sit outside my house in the morning to have a cup of tea and read the newspaper. The morning traffic starts pouring out my street. When the cars and vans pass by the soi dogs they slow down to a crawl and when they pass the Monk and his novice wheeling his cart up the street they whizz past at normal speed.

The monk in my opinion has fallen down the ladder of respect over the past couple of years. I used to whisper to my missus about monks and Buddhism but now no one cares what I say. Especially the UFO temple. You mention that and people make a big joke about it.

Now also where I live out in Pathum Thani there are alot of Muslims living. But if you ridicule or talk about their religion it is very frowned apon. You can't make jokes about them.

8 hours ago, teatree said:

The driver may have overreacted but he was just responding to violence against his wife by the monk.  In the same position I would have smacked him on the jaw.

often someone becomes a monk after many years in jail, nevertheless they are "untouchable", the driver was lucky for such a small punishment, a farang would probably get 10 years. only the abbot can punish the monk, he surely will do that, but we will never know.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Monks always sit next to the door as it means they can get on and off without having to brush against any female passengers, if the bus gets crowded.

Yes, but that won't wash with me, do you really think these parasites are caring if they brush against any females?

Anyway, if the bus is crowded before they get on, how are they going to avoid brushing against anyone? Wait for

the next bus? I don't think so. Somebody will probably give them their seat, but they won't be getting mine.

3 hours ago, imfinn said:

My friend sent me this link, and as soon as I finished watching it, I told her I felt bad for the driver because now a lot of people will hate him or criticise him when he wasn't even wrong, and she said why would they do that? The monk hit attacked them first.

Then as soon as I went onto the Facebook link, everyone was blaming the driver, stuff like

'if you speak bad to someone you can expect to get hit' 

'whatever happens, hitting a monk is a sin'

blah blah blah, but 90% of the comments were saying the driver was wrong and the monk was correct. 

It's funny if you compare the comments on here vs the comments of the Thai people. 100% people here say the monk was wrong, 90% of them say the monk was correct.

Interesting post. I asked my wife "who do wrong ... monk or van man ?"

Without hesitation, and without her knowing any details of the fracas regarding the fare, or spitting, or the resulting fines, she immediately said "van man do wrong .... cannot hit monk."

Phwrrr ..... totally confirms my belief that no matter how hard I try, I'll never come close to understanding the Thai way of thinking.

I'm with the rest of you here .... I reckon the monk got what he deserved. Unlucky van guy just couldn't land a decent punch.

40,000 baht fine for the company is pretty steep. Wow.

5,000 baht fine each for van guy and his wife. With my clueless

understanding of Thai thinking, now they'll probably both visit a temple to make merit for their wrongdoing ?

39 minutes ago, electric said:

Interesting post. I asked my wife "who do wrong ... monk or van man ?"

Without hesitation, and without her knowing any details of the fracas regarding the fare, or spitting, or the resulting fines, she immediately said "van man do wrong .... cannot hit monk."

Phwrrr ..... totally confirms my belief that no matter how hard I try, I'll never come close to understanding the Thai way of thinking.

I'm with the rest of you here .... I reckon the monk got what he deserved. Unlucky van guy just couldn't land a decent punch.

40,000 baht fine for the company is pretty steep. Wow.

5,000 baht fine each for van guy and his wife. With my clueless

understanding of Thai thinking, now they'll probably both visit a temple to make merit for their wrongdoing ?

Yeh, same here with my Thai girlfriend, she say the Thai woman spokes very bad to the monk...not allowed.

I hope that so-called monk gets what's coming to him. He should have been done in by the people there until he needed to be sent to a hospital. That was so disgusting to see people stopping a guy from attacking a 'man' who assaulted his wife! And then they try to stop it again when the 'monk' assaults the man from behind!!?? <deleted>!! That 'monk' should have been pummeled by every person there! Then the hospital should refuse service beyond life-saving measures.

9 hours ago, ikke said:

They have all kinds of guys in the orange robes, the day they let criminal Suthep in proved that.

This guy hit the wife of the driver first, so the driver's reaction is correct and the monk should be fined and fired, bastard in an orange robe. 

The orange robe rules when arguments break out. But one should investigate why many who wear them are running from arguments and do not want to go to prison.

Should have paid the bus crew 5000 each for pubic service and fined the robe 40.0000

Edited by wakeupplease

I hope that so-called monk gets what's coming to him. He should have been done in by the people there until he needed to be sent to a hospital. That was so disgusting to see people stopping a guy from attacking a 'man' who assaulted his wife! And then they try to stop it again when the 'monk' assaults the man from behind!!?? !! That 'monk' should have been pummeled by every person there! Then the hospital should refuse service beyond life-saving measures.

You do know that this is Thailand and the national religion is Buddhism. Free country or not, I think your over stepping a bit with your comments. Please behave.