Macron seen winning French presidential runoff with 62 percent of votes - poll

webfact

Macron seen winning French presidential runoff with 62 percent of votes - poll

REUTERS

r15.jpg   

Emmanuel Macron, head of the political movement En Marche !, or Onwards !, and candidate for the 2017 presidential election, attends a campaign rally in Albi, France, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

PARIS (Reuters) - French Independent centrist Emmanuel Macron extended his lead in the polls over far-right candidate Marine Le Pen three days ahead of the presidential runoff, according to an Elabe poll for BFM TV and L'Express released on Friday.

Macron is seen getting 62 percent of the votes in the second round compared to 38 percent for Le Pen, an increase of three points for the centrist candidate compared to his projected score in the last Elabe poll.

The survey was carried out after a rancorous final televised debate between the two contenders on Wednesday, which Macron was seen as having won by French viewers, according to two recent polls.

(Reporting by Mathieu Rosemain; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-05

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Fake news predicted that Hilary Clinton would beat Donald Trump. Guess what..:post-4641-1156694572:

Polls also predicted on the average the Clinton would beat Trump in the popular vote by 3 percent. They were massively off. She won by 2 percent. 

And how did the French polls for the first round of elections hold up?  Something tells me that you haven't a clue.

Despite a political earthquake in France that saw the upending of the traditional divisions between left and right, polling companies managed to predict the outcome of the first round of France’s presidential election on April 23 with a remarkable degree of precision. For the most part, they correctly forecast that Emmanuel Macron, a former economics minister, and Marine Le Pen, a nationalist firebrand, would progress to the second round, as well as the order of the three runners-up, within a percentage point or two.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/world/europe/french-election-polls.html

So the French will probably elect the Hollande clone. The globalist with the banking background. Despite all his blather he'll tow the EU line. Reforms - only if Juncke and Merkel agree. And he ain't gonna do diddly squat if they don't.

Le Pen's comment that either way, France will be run by a woman, her or Mrs. Merkel, isn't far off the mark.

Allons, marche !

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So the French will probably elect the Hollande clone. The globalist with the banking background. Despite all his blather he'll tow the EU line. Reforms - only if Juncke and Merkel agree. And he ain't gonna do diddly squat if they don't.

Le Pen's comment that either way, France will be run by a woman, her or Mrs. Merkel, isn't far off the mark.

Allons, marche !

I have to say I'm not very impressed with him either. He doesn't seem at all uncomfortable with the way the banking system in the Eurozone operates.

42 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Allons, marche !

Globalist is a loaded  code word often used in pro-fascist circles to mask what they're really saying.

Congratulations to France for what she is about to do without any doubt. Elect a HOPEFUL leader, Macron, against the scourge of creeping fascism and authoritarianism.

Well done!:partytime2:

Yes, Macron (endorsed by Obama explicitly) vs. Le Pen (endorsed by trump indirectly) is correctly seen as very similar to Clinton vs. trump. (Ideologically speaking, not the personal stories.)

In the case of France, they are going to do the right thing. Perhaps they learned from the U.S. MISTAKE.

After Clinton, Trump’s real enemy is ‘globalism’

And it's almost certain that, no matter the victor on Nov. 8, the scaremongering over the “globalist” menace will continue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/10/28/how-globalism-became-the-boogeyman-of-2016/

Edited by Jingthing

Le Pen "suggested" that Macron had a secret overseas bank account along with several other lies and within minutes Russian websites were saying that they had evidence of this.  Macron is now suing Le Pen over the claim.  Is anyone still naïve enough to think that Russia has no interest in the French election?

Macron will win just as surely as May will win the British election.

9 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Polls also predicted on the average the Clinton would beat Trump in the popular vote by 3 percent. They were massively off. She won by 2 percent. 

Still don't understand the importance of the electoral college huh? Sad.

36 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

Still don't understand the importance of the electoral college huh? Sad.

No, you clearly don't understand the point about polling. The popular vote polling was off by 1 percent on average. That's what is relevant to the French election. France elects its President by popular vote. Did you think France also elects its President by an electoral college?

unfettered globalism has ruined ordinary people in developed countries…its an unfair system rigged by politicians who are paid for by their corporate sponsors.

Say no to le macaron and yes to le pen.

Like I said a while ago, Le Pen won't win this time around because she's too right wing. But the red flag has been raised. And Merkel will instruct her EU goons to ignore the red flag, the same as with the UK. Business as usual. But Le Pen won't be too right wing come the next round of French elections, and her FN party will be the major force in French politics. Things will get very complicated thereafter.

6 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

unfettered globalism has ruined ordinary people in developed countries…its an unfair system rigged by politicians who are paid for by their corporate sponsors.

Say no to le macaron and yes to le pen.

It is important to note that 25% of the French GDP is derived from international trade. Le Pen's economic policies would be a disaster for France with all the globalist clap trap mouthed off by the 'right' which in reality masks the ugly face of nationalism. 

Considering Le Pen is an admirer of Putin, what does that tell you about her political ambitions? IMO those voting for Le Pen, perhaps unknowingly as blinded by nationalist sentiment, are in reality voting for authoritarianism.

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

It is important to note that 25% of the French GDP is derived from international trade. Le Pen's economic policies would be a disaster for France with all the globalist clap trap mouthed off by the 'right' which in reality masks the ugly face of nationalism. 

Considering Le Pen is an admirer of Putin, what does that tell you about her political ambitions? IMO those voting for Le Pen, perhaps unknowingly as blinded by nationalist sentiment, are in reality voting for authoritarianism.

Perhaps she admires that Putin is for Russia first.

Only the rich benefit from globalism and the poor are given the shaft.

If the poor and dispossessed vote for those that promise their country first and jobs, it's the rich people's fault for being greedy and exploiting poor people in other countries to amass even more wealth.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps that she admires that Putin is for Russia first.

Only the rich benefit from globalism and the poor are given the shaft.

Whatever., Putin "putting Russia first" has been an affront to international norms of behaviour resulting in thousands of unnecessary deaths together with trade sanctions; plus Putin's regime is massively  corrupt - not really a good model to emulate is it.

Having worked for MNCs, IMO your observation regards globalism is nonsense. 

Edited by simple1

19 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Whatever., Putin "putting Russia first" has been an affront to international norms of behaviour resulting in thousands of unnecessary deaths together with trade sanctions; plus Putin's regime is massively  corrupt - not really a good model to emulate is it.

Having worked for MNCs, IMO your observation regards globalism is nonsense. 

I was referring to Putin putting Russia first, not the other stuff. It's also why Trump won- he said he would put the USA first. Clinton wanted globalism and lost.

Re my opinion on globalism, if you work for NMCs I'm not surprised that you disagree.

I'll continue to believe my theory, along with millions/ billions of other people.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Like I said a while ago, Le Pen won't win this time around because she's too right wing. But the red flag has been raised. And Merkel will instruct her EU goons to ignore the red flag, the same as with the UK. Business as usual. But Le Pen won't be too right wing come the next round of French elections, and her FN party will be the major force in French politics. Things will get very complicated thereafter.

As usual, your stupid comment comes from your hate of Europe , EU and your love of Brexit ; poor guy, stay in your lonely island, it's s better for you  ; as for  me ,  I stay in Europe,  where the future is ( I live in Thailand, but my heart is European ) 

"Macron seen winning French presidential runoff with 62 percent of votes - poll"

Not saying it isn't true..... but just remember all the polls that said Trump didn't have a chance and that Hillary was going to win..... .  

16 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Le Pen "suggested" that Macron had a secret overseas bank account along with several other lies and within minutes Russian websites were saying that they had evidence of this.  Macron is now suing Le Pen over the claim.  Is anyone still naïve enough to think that Russia has no interest in the French election?

Macron will win just as surely as May will win the British election.

I didn't learn about this from Russian websites OR from le Pen sources. but from 'Anonymous' and now Wikileaks. Macron is a weasel. France will be "getting used to terrorism" as he says, more and more each day over the next five years.

Try, if you have 30 minutes,

"Macron seen winning French presidential runoff with 62 percent of votes - poll"

Not saying it isn't true..... but just remember all the polls that said Trump didn't have a chance and that Hillary was going to win..... .  

Not true. Polls showed it much much closer than the French race. In fact Clinton won the popular vote significantly and only lost in the electoral college by very thin margins in a few states. France has no electoral college. There is no equivalence in the polling situations with the two contests.

Hello President Macron.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

I didn't learn about this from Russian websites OR from le Pen sources. but from 'Anonymous' and now Wikileaks. Macron is a weasel. France will be "getting used to terrorism" as he says, more and more each day over the next five years.

Try, if you have 30 minutes, <snip>

The reality is Western security agencies have warned terrorism will be ongoing within our societies for a number of year & there are no quick and easy solutions to the threat. Don't know exactly what Macron said, may be a poor choice of words, but in essence he's correct. On the other side of the coin Le Pen has claimed she would "immediately" deport all those on the French terror watch list - anyone with a modicum of knowledge knows this promise cannot actually be fulfilled. Le Pen articulates populist rubbish.

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The reality is Western security agencies have warned terrorism will be ongoing within our societies for a number of year & there are no quick and easy solutions to the threat. Don't know exactly what Macron said, may be a poor choice of words, but in essence he's correct. On the other side of the coin Le Pen has claimed she would "immediately" deport all those on the French terror watch list - anyone with a modicum of knowledge knows this promise cannot actually be fulfilled. Le Pen articulates populist rubbish.

Western agencies may have said that but they haven't said that it will continue to get worse and not for a number of years either.

I do have a modicum of knowledge about the subject and although obviously the people on this list won't all be deported on the first day it can be done, especially with repeat offenders of which there are many.

" il va falloir s'y habituer" en direct de Macron - "we will have to get used to it" - on 21 April, the day after three police officers were shot, one killed  with an AK 47 on the Champs-Elysees.

I have listened carefully to both candidates and what Le Pen says doesn't sound like populist rubbish to me. At least it isn't the elitist rubbish that Macron is spewing. He's a rat out of the same mould as Hollande and Juncker. More of the same, where the same obviously isn't working, will be a catastrophe.

Whatever the result, chaos will continue and Macron won't have the guts to restore order. Le Pen would.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Western agencies may have said that but they haven't said that it will continue to get worse and not for a number of years either.

I do have a modicum of knowledge about the subject and although obviously the people on this list won't all be deported on the first day it can be done, especially with repeat offenders of which there are many.

" il va falloir s'y habituer" en direct de Macron - "we will have to get used to it" - on 21 April, the day after three police officers were shot, one killed  with an AK 47 on the Champs-Elysees.

I have listened carefully to both candidates and what Le Pen says doesn't sound like populist rubbish to me. At least it isn't the elitist rubbish that Macron is spewing. He's a rat out of the same mould as Hollande and Juncker. More of the same, where the same obviously isn't working, will be a catastrophe.

Whatever the result, chaos will continue and Macron won't have the guts to restore order. Le Pen would.

Don't know where you source your info, but personally I have listened to and read main stream security people claiming the situation regards Islamic terror in our societies will continue for a number of years and highly likely with some mass casualty attacks.

Deportations can only occur so long as their are government to government agreements in-place. I understand currently there are more than a few countries with whom the French and other Western countries have yet to have reached such agreement.

Don't know what Le Pen would actually do to have more 'guts' than Macron, One would assume any actions would have to comply with constitutional law and ruling by the Court of Cassation, otherwise you're talking to a fascist society; some on this forum do seem to wish for such an outcome.

Edited by simple1

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Don't know where you source your info, but personally I have listened to and read main stream security people claiming the situation regards Islamic terror in our societies will continue for a number of years and highly likely with some mass casualty attacks.

Deportations can only occur so long as their are government to government agreements in-place. I understand currently there are more than a few countries with whom the French and other Western countries have yet to have reached such agreement.

Don't know what Le Pen would actually do to have more 'guts' than Macron, One would assume any actions would have to comply with constitutional law and ruling by the Court of Cassation, otherwise you're talking to a fascist society; some on this forum do seem to wish for such an outcome.

Oh dear. Source: https://cyceon.com/fr/2017/04/21/puisquon-doit-vivre-avec-le-terrorisme-emmanuel-macron-renoncera-donc-a-sa-protection/   

as far as his remarks are concerned, amongst many others.

Your first two lines of your remark only confirm what I said. If another ONE MILLION come into France as is to be expected with someone like Macron, then terrorism will increase. I don't nee to quote sources for that.

Le Pen has said that pressure cab be brought to bear on countries that at present are laughing at France and refusing to take back criminals. It can be done.

Macron is a Hollande man, who despite having martial law has never done much about disorder in the streets apart from giving the police overtime. Did you see the recent video of police being firebombed? (I thought not) Not even then did they take out their guns.

If Le Pen ordered the army in they would agree with pleasure. If it doesn't happen now it will do in a few years when things will have gotten even worse.

Anything that Le Pen would have to do would quite possibly to insist that the Schengen agreement be abided by and that law and order be maintained on the streets. She doesn't need permission from the courts for that. That isn't part of a fascist ideology even though many people that oppose her call it that.

4 hours ago, Aforek said:

As usual, your stupid comment comes from your hate of Europe , EU and your love of Brexit ; poor guy, stay in your lonely island, it's s better for you  ; as for  me ,  I stay in Europe,  where the future is ( I live in Thailand, but my heart is European ) 

You've missed my point, which is partly my fault because I wasn't clear enough. Allow me to clarify:

The far-right isn't the answer to Europe's problems. But it is filling a hole made by the centre ground of politics, a hole which has been made by the German-led quest for Europe's globalisation. That this quest has opened up a wealth gap in and forced culture clashes on Europe's nations is beyond debate. Even most remainers agree that these issues need to be addressed by the EU. Have we seen any signs that this is happening? No. And it's not going to happen because it interferes with Merkel and her EU assistants' plan. Hence the rise of the far-right across Europe.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Oh dear. Source: https://cyceon.com/fr/2017/04/21/puisquon-doit-vivre-avec-le-terrorisme-emmanuel-macron-renoncera-donc-a-sa-protection/   

as far as his remarks are concerned, amongst many others.

Your first two lines of your remark only confirm what I said. If another ONE MILLION come into France as is to be expected with someone like Macron, then terrorism will increase. I don't nee to quote sources for that.

Le Pen has said that pressure cab be brought to bear on countries that at present are laughing at France and refusing to take back criminals. It can be done.

Macron is a Hollande man, who despite having martial law has never done much about disorder in the streets apart from giving the police overtime. Did you see the recent video of police being firebombed? (I thought not) Not even then did they take out their guns.

If Le Pen ordered the army in they would agree with pleasure. If it doesn't happen now it will do in a few years when things will have gotten even worse.

Anything that Le Pen would have to do would quite possibly to insist that the Schengen agreement be abided by and that law and order be maintained on the streets. She doesn't need permission from the courts for that. That isn't part of a fascist ideology even though many people that oppose her call it that.

Somewhat off topic, but below is a reality check as opposed to quoting somewhat hysterical claims...

http://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/FRANCE/statistics

We will never agree that the likes of FN policies are the best solution for a Western country facing societal challenges, policies that will accelerate, not resolve, destructive forces in our societies.

Didn't he put himself forward as an alternative to the mainstream politicians? He's a banker, how is that not mainstream?

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

He's a relative outsider/newcomer to politics, started his own party, ideologically positioned to reform but in sensible ways. Not extremist right or left. In the French context that is not mainstream. Anyway there are two choices. Macron or the fascist. Doesn't take a banker to do the math on that.

Win or lose Macron is a remarkable political story. In this case, france-ly, he wins.