Homebuild desktop PC, 47.000 baht, too much?

guzzi850m2

After I got my new 4K PC monitor I realized that my current graphics card can only play 4k (3840X2160) at 30hz so I had to settle at 2560X1440 at 60hz. My current VGA card is a NVidia GeForce GT420.

Looking at my current HP ip5 PC, it's from 2011 and the motherboard is falling: No sound from the rear audio connection but have to use the front one (for head sets) and the SD card reader has not been working for a few years.

Considered how old my current PC is: I been thinking about getting a new one and not just upgrade the graphics card but was shocked when I checked all the components prices at JIB on-line store today.

1: CPU: Intel 1151 Core i5 7500 3.4Ghz= 7350 baht

2: Motherboard: LGA1151. eksample: AsRock B250 Pro4= 3290 baht

3: VGA Card: GTX1050TI  (will support 4K video) (several brands to choose from)= app 6000 baht

4: HDD app 3-4TB  app= 5000 baht

5: SSD 250GB Samsung 750EVO = 3400 baht

6: RAM 16GB= 4000 baht

7: Power supply: haven't calculated how much I need, but want large reserve, 750W= app 5000 baht

8: Win10 Home 64bit= 4000 baht

9: Case= app 2-3000 baht

10: Fans= app 2000 baht

11: What else? xxxx baht

GRAND TOTAL: APP 47.000 baht!!!

I am no PC expert but choosed the CPU and VGA card based on on-line reviews and I would like a motherboard that can support USB 3.0 minimum.

I am not a gamer but do photo editing and sometime video editing too.

I am a bit shocked it's so expensive, I would had hoped I could have stayed below 1000$ or 35k baht but can't really see how I can do that.

Anybody here have good advice on which component(s) I can save money on, but still have a fast & reliable PC that can last 5 years out in the future.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really need 16 gb ram? Are you using it for work? I would go 8 gb, it's easy to pop in a few more if you need it.

Loads of cheaper second hand gpu on ebay . I bought one for a fraction of the cost new.

There are plenty of power supply calculators on the net

Most people go crazy on big ones that will never be utilized

After I got my new 4K PC monitor I realized that my current graphics card can only play 4k (3840X2160) at 30hz so I had to settle at 2560X1440 at 60hz. My current VGA card is a NVidia GeForce GT420.

Looking at my current HP ip5 PC, it's from 2011 and the motherboard is falling: No sound from the rear audio connection but have to use the front one (for head sets) and the SD card reader has not been working for a few years.

Considered how old my current PC is: I been thinking about getting a new one and not just upgrade the graphics card but was shocked when I checked all the components prices at JIB on-line store today.

1: CPU: Intel 1151 Core i5 7500 3.4Ghz= 7350 baht
2: Motherboard: LGA1151. eksample: AsRock B250 Pro4= 3290 baht
3: VGA Card: GTX1050TI  (will support 4K video) (several brands to choose from)= app 6000 baht
4: HDD app 3-4TB  app= 5000 baht
5: SSD 250GB Samsung 750EVO = 3400 baht
6: RAM 16GB= 4000 baht
7: Power supply: haven't calculated how much I need, but want large reserve, 750W= app 5000 baht
8: Win10 Home 64bit= 4000 baht
9: Case= app 2-3000 baht
10: Fans= app 2000 baht
11: What else? xxxx baht
GRAND TOTAL: APP 47.000 baht!!!

I am no PC expert but choosed the CPU and VGA card based on on-line reviews and I would like a motherboard that can support USB 3.0 minimum.

I am not a gamer but do photo editing and sometime video editing too.

I am a bit shocked it's so expensive, I would had hoped I could have stayed below 1000$ or 35k baht but can't really see how I can do that.

Anybody here have good advice on which component(s) I can save money on, but still have a fast & reliable PC that can last 5 years out in the future.

Do you really need 16 gb ram? Are you using it for work? I would go 8 gb, it's easy to pop in a few more if you need it.

Loads of cheaper second hand gpu on ebay as punters continue to upgrade to the the latest and greatest . I bought one for a fraction of the cost new.

Thank for you reply.

I checked the Cooler Master power supply calculator and it came up at 227W load wattage and a PSU wattage of 277W,  recommended a 460W supply, so I should be able to keep it at 450- 500W and not 750W.

8GB of ram might be enough, I have that in my current PC, easy to add RAM later on.

Saved so far: power supply 550W (80+Bronze)= 2700, savings 1300 baht

RAM 8GB instead of 16, roughly 1/2 price of 4000= 2000.

3300 baht saved so far, so below 45k baht now.

You won't be able to play the latest games at 4K resolution with GTX 1050Ti. That will need at least 1080 Ti which cost more than 20k. You still can play at full hd resolution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I know about the lacking 4k gaming capabilities on that GTX1050TI card, I don't play games but edit photos & video and use my PC for watching movies & TV series as well.

If that is the case the plain 1050 should be enough. You may consider amd ryzen which performs better than Intel on heavily threaded apps such as photo n video editing.

I've found AMD to give more bang for the buck when it comes to gaming PCs. Toms Hardware have some good up-to-date PC builds for different budgets.

Also, you can get a pukka Win 10 serial number from Ebay for about 800 baht.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I know about the lacking 4k gaming capabilities on that GTX1050TI card, I don't play games but edit photos & video and use my PC for watching movies & TV series as well.

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

If that is the case the plain 1050 should be enough. You may consider amd ryzen which performs better than Intel on heavily threaded apps such as photo n video editing.

4K and budget are still pretty much mutually exclusive at this point.

The Ryzen R5 1500 will be much better than the i5 for photo/video editing. For gaming, the best way to put it is that "its complicated" and would require a separate topic to even begin to cover. (Does finding RAM that uses "Samsung single rank B-die" sound like fun?)

If gaming isn't a priority, get the cheapest GPU that will drive your display at 4k/60Hz. Outside of driving the display, even the cheapest relatively modern dedicated GPUs can accelerate a lot of photo/video editing more than the highest end processors.

For the PSU, you will generally want it to be around or slightly under 2x the system draw as this is where it will usually be most efficient. This is also one of the hardest components to decide on. Skimping on this can cause major headaches in the future, but it also isn't necessary to pay the huge premium for a Corsair AX PSU. It is also hard to benchmark PSUs as it takes specialized hardware to measure the performance and to ensure they operate within the ATX spec. The go to for this is johnnyguru. Try to find a cheap unit that gets good marks from him. 

Thanks guys for the heads up on the Ryzen R5 CPU series, I just read some comparison test with i5 (not that I understand much of those tests but I get the picture).

Looks like if I go that route the power cons will be slightly higher and I will need something like 550-600W min.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Thanks guys for the heads up on the Ryzen R5 CPU series, I just read some comparison test with i5 (not that I understand much of those tests but I get the picture).

Looks like if I go that route the power cons will be slightly higher and I will need something like 550-600W min.

Modular is better; I got one of these a couple years ago after reading the recommendation on johnnyguru and it's been great:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/21732/6/index.html

So yes you're looking at a reasonable total cost for a PC that can do efficient casual video editing. You'll be happy w/ that config. No video editing, or slow video editing, and you could save on the CPU. But you've got quality stuff there. Plus it includes Windows at full retail, an SSD, and a reasonably large hard drive (WD recommended over Seagate; get Toshiba at Advice at Harbor).

What else? That machine deserves a backlit mechanical keyboard. Love mine and it enables me to write long tomes fighting for truth & justice here on TVF. Here ya go:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/22095/47/index.html

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/24922/47/index.html

Edited by JSixpack

Thanks again guys, all inputs are very valuable to me.

The little NUC's are cool but they got their limitations and if I have to spend +45K on a PC so be it. It's only a matter of time before my HP breaks down and it served me well for 6 years so it's about time to move on. I keep the HP and put it up in one of the bedrooms upstairs and my son can use it when he gets a bit older.

JIB got no less than 3 outlets here in Pattaya; Harbor Mall- TukCom- Ocean Marina. I will finalize my shopping list over the next couple of days and then go and discuss it with the guys in likely both Ocean M & Harbor M as I can easily park my truck there which makes life a bit easier when I pick up my new machine(hopefully).

I think I read somewhere that when installing Win10 on a system with 2 separate hard-drives that you have to disconnect one (HHD) in order only to have Win10 OP on the SSD and you can take out the HHD whenever you like and still have a fully working PC? Will the guys at JIB know that? Or will I have to explain that to them? I am not even sure whom in JIB assembly customers machines? I am a little worried about that to be honest as we all know how service/knowledge are at retail stores; a hit or miss, LOL 

I don't have enough knowledge myself to build a PC from scratch but can do small jobs "inside" the PC.       

another spot where you can save some money is the SSD - 250 GB is large for windows 10, I use 120 GB SSDs as system disk with no problems.

fans ... these should already be included with a case of the price you mention?

windows home 64 licence ... check if there isn't a cheaper way, for example an upgrade licence.

When I migrated to windows 10, I bought win 7 pro 64 licenses at about 5-6 USD each and then upgraded to Win 10 for free.

AS others said, the 1050Ti card is only OK if you don't play games. don't let the number fool you, the older GTX 950 is 20% more powerful.

you can have a look at this chart to find out:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Edited by manarak

If you are running out of budget, Id suggest you to use the integrated graphics of the latest cpu first. They can drive 4k@60fps via display port or hdmi 2.0. A gold rated 500W PSU is more than enough unless you are getting a gaming GPu later. You can add on a GPu later if you find cpu graphics are slow. The flexibility of building your own pc is you can customize and add on or upgrade parts anytime.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I think I read somewhere that when installing Win10 on a system with 2 separate hard-drives that you have to disconnect one (HHD) in order only to have Win10 OP on the SSD and you can take out the HHD whenever you like and still have a fully working PC?

No, not an issue.

I am not even sure whom in JIB assembly customers machines?

They may not be sure either until the time arrives. ;) TIT.

I am a little worried about that to be honest as we all know how service/knowledge are at retail stores; a hit or miss, LOL

No need to worry. Their assemblers are experienced and it's just Lego anyway. They'll probably only do the most basic cable management but that's OK. If I were buying everything at once from the shop I'd let them put it together to save myself the boredom.

It'll all work fine. You can check it out before you leave (don't skip the front USB & audio ports) and bring it back if you have any issues later. Never had any problems with JIB, they've always been reasonable.

Might be sure they understand they're to install a new copy of Windows from the disc you buy and nothing more, no extras.

BTW, what about a DVD drive?

I don't see Toshiba HDDs in their price list now but they used to sell them; the 4TB Toshiba comes out on top, matching the more expensive and slower WD Red, in the latest Backblaze stats.

They may not have everything in stock at the particular outlet you go to. Tukcom > Harbor > CentralMarina. But they can get it fairly quickly.

Cheers to all,

I am not running out of budget as such as I don't really got one but I am just trying to make sure I don't buy anything I don't really need by overdoing it.

Getting a too small cap PSU and then later have to upgrade sounds like a bad idea to me, will be hard to sell the old one here I should think.

I will ask JIB if I can still buy a Win7 license.

Yes will need a DVD drive (hardly uses it anymore, but still, hmm) and a SD card reader, the later is very important to me as I take them out of my cameras all the time for edit photos on my PC.

Yes need minimum 2 UBS slots on the front of the cabinet, would prefer 4 and 2 of them min 3.0.

One hard thing to buy is the cabinet, I don't want one of those pimped looking ones but just a discrete black box (My current HP is 18X 40X38cm and that's fine) but it could be cool if there was a small window on the left side so I can look inside without opening it up.

JIB in Harbor mall got a real pimped up machine on display, glass sides all around, some green looking cooling liquid in tubes all over, ha-ha, about 100k baht I think it was, looks like a pocket disco.   

Well we are going there today for my boy go playing, so will visit JIB and have a talk with them and bring the list as per my OP but edited for a AMD Ryzen5 1500x or 1600(plain) and a 350 VGA card to fit that CPU. 

Cheers to all,

I am not running out of budget as such as I don't really got one but I am just trying to make sure I don't buy anything I don't really need by overdoing it.

Getting a too small cap PSU and then later have to upgrade sounds like a bad idea to me, will be hard to sell the old one here I should think.

I will ask JIB if I can still buy a Win7 license.

Yes will need a DVD drive (hardly uses it anymore, but still, hmm) and a SD card reader, the later is very important to me as I take them out of my cameras all the time for edit photos on my PC.

Yes need minimum 2 UBS slots on the front of the cabinet, would prefer 4 and 2 of them min 3.0.

One hard thing to buy is the cabinet, I don't want one of those pimped looking ones but just a discrete black box (My current HP is 18X 40X38cm and that's fine) but it could be cool if there was a small window on the left side so I can look inside without opening it up.
JIB in Harbor mall got a real pimped up machine on display, glass sides all around, some green looking cooling liquid in tubes all over, ha-ha, about 100k baht I think it was, looks like a pocket disco.   
Well we are going there today for my boy go playing, so will visit JIB and have a talk with them and bring the list as per my OP but edited for a AMD Ryzen5 1500x or 1600(plain) and a 350 VGA card to fit that CPU. 

Serious question: why do you want Win 7 on a new PC?

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Serious question: why do you want Win 7 on a new PC?

Well there was one poster that said he bought Win7 for cheap and then upgraded to 10 for free, no I don't want 7.

Well I visited JIB at harbor mall today and gave them my list and they don't have any Win7 for sale anymore.  

They went though everything (not giving any advises) and if I decide to go with it, it will be 38140 baht total: Win10, case, dvd reader/SD card reader, 16GB Ram, 650W Thermaltake, all included. Extra fans not needed as the case (Kendomen) got 3. That power supply got 5 years warranty and the shop guy told me is very good.

I will very likely pull the trigger on the deal; 38k baht is just about 1100$.

If I order it tomorrow I should have it by Wednesday, as a few parts they have to get from BKK. They can install Win10 for free if I want or should I just pick up the PC and then hope it will boot up when the DVD is inserted when I get home? It could be sort of nice to install Win10 myself and set it up just as I want it?    

On 5/6/2017 at 3:56 PM, bigtrouble said:

Loads of cheaper second hand gpu on ebay . I bought one for a fraction of the cost new.

With Windows 10 64bit I would use minimum 16Gb ram. Never save at ram.

Well there was one poster that said he bought Win7 for cheap and then upgraded to 10 for free, no I don't want 7.

Well I visited JIB at harbor mall today and gave them my list and they don't have any Win7 for sale anymore.  

They went though everything (not giving any advises) and if I decide to go with it, it will be 38140 baht total: Win10, case, dvd reader/SD card reader, 16GB Ram, 650W Thermaltake, all included. Extra fans not needed as the case (Kendomen) got 3. That power supply got 5 years warranty and the shop guy told me is very good.

If I order it tomorrow I should have it by Wednesday, as a few parts they have to get from BKK. They can install Win10 for free if I want or should I just pick up the PC and then hope it will boot up when the DVD is inserted when I get home? It could be sort of nice to install Win10 myself and set it up just as I want it?    

Win10 is is really easy to install and while I expect JIB to be a cut above most Thai places, there's still the risk of them installing crap you don’t want or setting everything to Thai language.

Also, you don’t need to disconnect the HDD when doing the install - you are prompted as to where you want it installed.

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Win10 is is really easy to install and while I expect JIB to be a cut above most Thai places, there's still the risk of them installing crap you don’t want or setting everything to Thai language.

Also, you don’t need to disconnect the HDD when doing the install - you are prompted as to where you want it installed.

Thanks, so you are saying that if I collect the PC bare-bones, I can just insert the Win10 dvd when I get home and it will just starting installing?

Regarding cases, they got a real cool looking DeepCool Kendomen I will likely go for, 5 fans fitted, 1900 baht, okay not the red one, they got a more discrete white.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GmGj4D/deepcool-case-kendomenred

I would indeed go with 16GB RAM as well. But you really don't need a CDRom drive anymore these days, the one in my old laptop is only used to collect dust bunnies.

Even Windows 10 now comes on a USB stick.

Thanks, so you are saying that if I collect the PC bare-bones, I can just insert the Win10 dvd when I get home and it will just starting installing?

Regarding cases, they got a real cool looking DeepCool Kendomen I will likely go for, 5 fans fitted, 1900 baht, okay not the red one, they got a more discrete white.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GmGj4D/deepcool-case-kendomenred

Pretty much, yes, although I install from a flash drive - DVDs are so 2000s... [emoji2]

You can download win 10 from Microsoft website and make a bootable USB. It's much faster if you use a high speed USB 3.0 drive. Optical drives are obselete nowdays. I can't recall the last time I ejected my computers dvd drive.

Thanks,

Yes dvd's are pretty obsolete here in 2017 but that drive cost 490 baht so why not have it and even my new AOC monitor came with a CD rom and there was actually a small program on it where I can do all the setting from the screen and not from the not so well layed out bottoms under the monitor and I can't find that program on AOC's web-page. No I get a DVD drive, I am an old fashioned guy but I stopped watching movies from CD's long time ago, I am not that old fashioned, he-he.

16GB, roger that.

With Windows 10 64bit I would use minimum 16Gb ram. Never save at ram.

Lol, I use Linux and run iTunes in Windows 10 in a virtual machine on top and 8GB is more than enough!

Sent from my nose.

9 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

So far so good. (Glad Harbor is getting some business.) Just a few thoughts.

We all know DVD drives are obsolete but they do come in handy sometimes. For example, Thais often only have DVD players and maybe you wanna give them a video sometime. Maybe your son wants to play kids games on the big computer and you've got a DVD with a variety of them. Etc. I'm glad I have mine though I rarely use it.

That case is pretty good value but personally I don't like LED fans at night. You might consider the Fractal Designs, https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/18349/27/index.html. Much better quality and gets more love in the reviews--but does cost significantly more. I'm a big believer in not skimping on a PSU or a case. Seen all kinds of mysterious problems ultimately caused by a junk PSU. And a good case will be with you for many years, through multiple builds.

How much RAM? Around here, the answer is usually the more the better. Surprised nobody came up with 32GB. I think for your needs 8GB is sufficient but if 16GB fits the budget, then can't hurt anything of course. At least you won't wonder if you should have got it. :smile: Who knows, you might get into gaming someday. I'm assuming light video editing.

Re: installing Windows, if JIB does it then you can test out the machine before you even take it home. Now you can request to be present at the installation to watch, they don't mind at all. They should install all the drivers as well. You can do the configuration when you get it home--that'll take time and you'll need Google & some third-party utilities to help you out anyway. Even if you don't let JIB install Windows, they'll show you that the disk/USB will boot and ask you to install.

So let us know how this all goes: the birth of a new machine . . . .

OP has already ordered, but +1 for Fractal Design cases. Good quality, and great designs. I used the "S" for my build because it had zero trays in the front (didn't want a DVD drive). This gives a nice open space for airflow where you  can fit up to eight fans. Front and bottom intakes have filters (I have a cat!) and the top panel has three soundproofed sections that can be removed if you want to install fans. Drives site out of sight behind the main panel, along with most of the wiring. Using a modular PSU also helps cut down on cable. Machine runs cool even in a non-airconned room. Cases have come a long way from the generic Chinese crap of not many years ago.

33952848950_e2c4f2b415_o.jpg