Homebuild desktop PC, 47.000 baht, too much?

guzzi850m2

21 hours ago, alocacoc said:

With Windows 10 64bit I would use minimum 16Gb ram. Never save at ram.

Remember if you want to upgrade RAM @ any stage for reliability it's best to keep samebatch numbers so you'll replacing the whole lot.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, JSixpack said:

So far so good. (Glad Harbor is getting some business.) Just a few thoughts.

We all know DVD drives are obsolete but they do come in handy sometimes. For example, Thais often only have DVD players and maybe you wanna give them a video sometime. Maybe your son wants to play kids games on the big computer and you've got a DVD with a variety of them. Etc. I'm glad I have mine though I rarely use it.

That case is pretty good value but personally I don't like LED fans at night. You might consider the Fractal Designs, https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/18349/27/index.html. Much better quality and gets more love in the reviews--but does cost significantly more. I'm a big believer in not skimping on a PSU or a case. Seen all kinds of mysterious problems ultimately caused by a junk PSU. And a good case will be with you for many years, through multiple builds.

How much RAM? Around here, the answer is usually the more the better. Surprised nobody came up with 32GB. I think for your needs 8GB is sufficient but if 16GB fits the budget, then can't hurt anything of course. At least you won't wonder if you should have got it. :smile: Who knows, you might get into gaming someday. I'm assuming light video editing.

Re: installing Windows, if JIB does it then you can test out the machine before you even take it home. Now you can request to be present at the installation to watch, they don't mind at all. They should install all the drivers as well. You can do the configuration when you get it home--that'll take time and you'll need Google & some third-party utilities to help you out anyway. Even if you don't let JIB install Windows, they'll show you that the disk/USB will boot and ask you to install.

So let us know how this all goes: the birth of a new machine . . . .

I went with 32GB. Rather be looking at it than for it 

Thanks guys,

No I haven't ordered anything yet, a desktop PC is one of the hardest things to buy I think, so I rather take my time and collect info before shelling out money, LOL.

I will take a closer look at the ATX case, and yes I also don't like that disco light in the front.

I am actually also considering getting a GTX 1060 (6GB) instead of the GTX1050ti, I realize that my 7 year old son love games so I better be prepared for that. The 1060 is a good compromise I think, at the 1070 stage it's getting very expensive but the 1060 can be had at under 10k baht but okay the top trimmed 1060's cost around 11k baht. 

I think it is way too much if you are in Thailand don't buy on Ebay Go to Pantip Plaza or similar and you can build one for a lot less money 47,000 baht is about

$1,500 UDS A bit too much I would Say even for Thailand

9 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I think it is way too much if you are in Thailand don't buy on Ebay Go to Pantip Plaza or similar and you can build one for a lot less money 47,000 baht is about

He's got it down to about B40,000 now. And that's reasonable and expected for the quality he's getting. Cf. gaming build here, with no OS: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-pc-builds,4390.html#p6

Panthip, now there's a place you really can spend a lot. Oh, the temptation!

51 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Thanks guys,

No I haven't ordered anything yet, a desktop PC is one of the hardest things to buy I think, so I rather take my time and collect info before shelling out money, LOL.

I will take a closer look at the ATX case, and yes I also don't like that disco light in the front.

I am actually also considering getting a GTX 1060 (6GB) instead of the GTX1050ti, I realize that my 7 year old son love games so I better be prepared for that. The 1060 is a good compromise I think, at the 1070 stage it's getting very expensive but the 1060 can be had at under 10k baht but okay the top trimmed 1060's cost around 11k baht. 

Worth taking time and considering before you adopt a new family member, no question.

+1 on the 1060, good value. You might get into a video game or two yourself if you can find one that appeals to you. Quite a variety out there. After all video games are proven good for your brain.

Yeah, even an old fart can play and should. In fact, Pattaya's kinda like a video game in some ways, innit? Sharpen your Beach Road crossing skills virtually.

59 here, retired and play games 2-3 hours everyday. My father is 83 and is finishing up FONV and playing Black Ops 111 single player. He is waiting for Fallout 4 to drop, then he will be busy for the rest of this year and next with mods. He has close to 500 hrs in FONV. He has over 200 games on steam.

acairman, 11-09-2015, 12:32, How many old farts here stil play pc games?

Cool grandmom: Grandmother Who Plays Skyrim Has Made Over 300 Videos.

Forum thread on getting started (with a console): Where to Start?

5 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

OP has already ordered, but +1 for Fractal Design cases. Good quality, and great designs. I used the "S" for my build because it had zero trays in the front (didn't want a DVD drive). This gives a nice open space for airflow where you  can fit up to eight fans. Front and bottom intakes have filters (I have a cat!) and the top panel has three soundproofed sections that can be removed if you want to install fans. Drives site out of sight behind the main panel, along with most of the wiring. Using a modular PSU also helps cut down on cable. Machine runs cool even in a non-airconned room. Cases have come a long way from the generic Chinese crap of not many years ago.

33952848950_e2c4f2b415_o.jpg

Beautiful! You don't often see that kind of build and cable mgt in Thailand. Couple of years ago Tywais was showing off pics here of his new build and I nicked him on his cable management. That incurred the usual sneers from the commentards but then he confessed he just hadn't got around to it yet. :) Wonder what happened to Tywais? He was one of our best posters.

Me I got a Corsair Vengeance C70 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139013 ) I ordered from Jedicool a few years ago. It'll be the last thing standing if my building ever collapses, and they'll probably send in a bomb squad to disarm it. (Trolls! My building's just fine, buzz off.)

So true on the advances in cases and value in cases. Reviews and rankings really heated up the competition, and builders have become a lot more sophisticated. 'Course there's still plenty of junk out there but JIB has seen the writing on the wall and moved more into the higher end gaming market. Shows the result of good management (well, relatively). Hardware House--had a leg up on JIB at one time but somehow threw it all away.

Edited by JSixpack

I went into JIB in Harbor Mall but they seem disinterested in helping, ended up getting everything from Invade IT. There is a fan cable top left which is snaking across the mobo and annoying me; going to fix it.

The Corsair Crystal is rather sexy. Next time! http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case

15 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Yes you can build one for less, and you can build one for a whole lot more; not sure what difference being in Thailand makes. You choose the spec that fits your requirements, and you pay the price!

If you really want to game at 4k and get 60 fps you need a 1080ti. Dont buy a 1050ti, it will disappoint. Last week I upgraded my rig with a Samsung Cf791 ultrawide monitor and a Asus Strix 1080ti OC. Total cost of the two ... almost 60,000 baht.

I have USED JIB in the last couple of computers.  Check out there website for prices.  All in Thai but easy to figure out.

Instead of  SDD use an m2 card.  Most new MB have a slot fit the card.

About the same price now.  Kingston make them now.

Best thing about JIB you don't pay till they get it working.

Good luck.

46 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Photo please!

Quick run down:

ASUS Rampage V Extreme mobo

Intel i7-5960X cpu o/c'd to 4.5Ghz stable 

Corsair Domi Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200mhz

Corsair H110i GTX

EVGA Titan X 12GB x 3 (watercooled 3 x Corsair H90's)

Samsung 950Pro SSD 512GB

WD Black Cav 3TB HDD X 2

12 X Noctua industrial PWM fans

NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller

Windows 10 64 bit

Fanatec CSR V2 Wheel Base

Fanatec Porsche 918 RSR wheel

Fanatec Clubsport pedals

Fanatec Hand Brake

Fanatec Sequential shifter

SRH TFT LCD Dash

SRH CSW Dash

Ricmotech button box 

NLR GT Ultimate V2 cockpit

NLR Motion Platform V3

Sony 59" 4K LCD x 3

Corsair K70 Red Cherry keyboard 

start up from cold to home screen in 24sec. Runs anything in 1080 multi-screen, smashes 4K ultra settings single screen.

looking to upgrade to 1080ti's soon, or just lose my shit and lash out on Titans again lol

Def hella fun! ?

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_9713.JPG

IMG_9714.JPG

Edited by MadMuhummad

20 minutes ago, newcomer01 said:

I have USED JIB in the last couple of computers.  Check out there website for prices.  All in Thai but easy to figure out.

Instead of  SDD use an m2 card.  Most new MB have a slot fit the card.

About the same price now.  Kingston make them now.

Best thing about JIB you don't pay till they get it working.

Good luck.

Agree with M2 cards.

I have my OS in my NUC on a Samsung M2 card. Boots up in -5 seconds and moves files around before I've even picked the mouse up! :)

I just brought a genuine Windows 10 from JIB I think it was just over 4k bt, it now comes on a usb stick and can be moved between computers (more than one computer) and it is easily upgraded to Windows 10 Creators.

15 hours ago, MadMuhummad said:

Quick run down:

ASUS Rampage V Extreme mobo

Intel i7-5960X cpu o/c'd to 4.5Ghz stable 

Corsair Domi Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200mhz

Corsair H110i GTX

EVGA Titan X 12GB x 3 (watercooled 3 x Corsair H90's)

Samsung 950Pro SSD 512GB

WD Black Cav 3TB HDD X 2

12 X Noctua industrial PWM fans

NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller

Windows 10 64 bit

Fanatec CSR V2 Wheel Base

Fanatec Porsche 918 RSR wheel

Fanatec Clubsport pedals

Fanatec Hand Brake

Fanatec Sequential shifter

SRH TFT LCD Dash

SRH CSW Dash

Ricmotech button box 

NLR GT Ultimate V2 cockpit

NLR Motion Platform V3

Sony 59" 4K LCD x 3

Corsair K70 Red Cherry keyboard 

start up from cold to home screen in 24sec. Runs anything in 1080 multi-screen, smashes 4K ultra settings single screen.

looking to upgrade to 1080ti's soon, or just lose my shit and lash out on Titans again lol

Def hella fun! ?

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_9713.JPG

IMG_9714.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Very jealous! Makes my G27 wheel look a bit sad...

My pleasure. Don't be too hard on yourself , everyone starts somewhere.

I've always dreamed of this kind of rig but never had the time to justify it.

I retired (forced) at the ripe old age of 36 so now this is a big part of my life. 

Hard to believe I paid more for this than my actual car though, and I used to have a full track spec drift car and this is very similar cost to that 555 (and nearly as much fun!)

Edited by MadMuhummad

2 hours ago, sniffdog said:

If you really want to game at 4k and get 60 fps you need a 1080ti. Dont buy a 1050ti, it will disappoint. Last week I upgraded my rig with a Samsung Cf791 ultrawide monitor and a Asus Strix 1080ti OC. Total cost of the two ... almost 60,000 baht.

Not I don't want to game at 4k, I am not even a gamer, loosing interest pretty quickly when I try some of them out and go back to my movies and/or TV series. 

I am however now pretty set on a 6gb 1060 now when I am using around 40k on a PC then better get a decent graphics card now I am at it. As you can see on some posters here, this can quickly turn into a money pit and I am not willing to go that way but admitted that 800k baht rig looks awesome.

Yes especially graphics cards seems expensive here in Thailand compared to elsewhere, a 1060 is about 260$ here and perhaps 200$ in the US but not much we can do about that.

Good to see someone in control and focused lol.

1060 is a great card especially considering price. And you're right, no point in purchasing something that is not going to be used to its max by you.

You look to have a good understanding of what you need, want and are prepared to spend. 

I can't see the use of watching 4k movies from a relatively small PC monitor while a large 4k TV can be bought for 30k or less. Also for editing 4k videos one should ignore I5 processors and 1060 gpu's. This thread doesnt make any sense to me.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Again, many thanks to all here that gave me some very valuable inputs.

I will likely go and order today, here is the finalized shopping list:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1500X

Mainboard: Asus Prime B350M-A https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/24945/4/index.html

Display card: 6gb GTX1060

Ram: 16GB (2X8) Team Elite ??

Hard disk: 4TB Toshiba + SSD Samsung 250gb EVO

Power supply: 650W Thermaltake

SD + DVD readers

Win10 (on a stick?)

Case: Undecided: Kendomen or ATX fractal midi R2.

I don't know about that Mainboard but it seems like it's good stuff for the money.

3 minutes ago, sniffdog said:

I can't see the use of watching 4k movies from a relatively small PC monitor while a large 4k TV can be bought for 30k or less. Also for editing 4k videos one should ignore I5 processors and 1060 gpu's. This thread doesnt make any sense to me.

I am not editing much video but more photos. Video is only HD from my action cam from my motorbike trips. 

You don't know my needs do you? I have a large 4k TV in the living room and I find 28" fine for my office for editing photos and watching a movie and general purpose PC use, perhaps with a game thrown in now and again, my wife & son are also using my office PC.

I am not getting a i5 but a Ryzen5 CPU thanks to good advise from posters here, suiting my needs best, so what is your advise sniffdog?

My advise or advice? I can't even understand the need for a 4k monitor. I think you started the wrong way by buying one. I would look for a cheaper solution. My old gpu was a Gtx 770 (three years old) and was perfectly capable for watching 4k movies. Also 16gb of ram is overkill looking at the other specs. Why would you need that kind of memory?

I just brought a genuine Windows 10 from JIB I think it was just over 4k bt, it now comes on a usb stick and can be moved between computers (more than one computer) and it is easily upgraded to Windows 10 Creators.

Good luck with that.

I paid 800 baht on Ebay for my license (which can only be used on one machine the same as your one).

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

22 minutes ago, sniffdog said:

My advise or advice? I can't even understand the need for a 4k monitor. I think you started the wrong way by buying one. I would look for a cheaper solution. My old gpu was a Gtx 770 (three years old) and was perfectly capable for watching 4k movies. Also 16gb of ram is overkill looking at the other specs. Why would you need that kind of memory?

Why not get a 4k monitor? My Dell UHD broke down after +4 years use so I needed a new one pronto.

Yes a lower spec gpu is capable of watching 4k movies but my son like games and I might give it a go as well and the 1060 is much better than 1050ti for that.

16gb of ram? Well maybe not needed but I am trying to get a good multi-purpose machine future proof for the next 2-3 years so why not and 2000 baht more is not the end of the world to me.