Homebuild desktop PC, 47.000 baht, too much?

guzzi850m2

Good luck with that.

I paid 800 baht on Ebay for my license (which can only be used on one machine the same as your one).

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

What? 800 baht? You have been scammed. Those licenses go for 4 bucks.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh man, are we a bit sensitive this morning.

Just because I don't play games doesn't mean that I wont be doing it in the future if I can find some game(s) I really like and I wrote my son likes playing games and the older he gets the better specs gpu will likely be needed.

So don't bother posting in this topic, I don't care, thankfully many other posters here have been kind & giving me good advice which is much appreciated.  

Good luck with that.

I paid 800 baht on Ebay for my license (which can only be used on one machine the same as your one).

The eBay offerings are OEM versions which cannot be transferred to a new machine. The full version can be transferred by deregistering on the old machine and activating on the new.

Well there was one poster that said he bought Win7 for cheap and then upgraded to 10 for free, no I don't want 7.

Well I visited JIB at harbor mall today and gave them my list and they don't have any Win7 for sale anymore.  

They went though everything (not giving any advises) and if I decide to go with it, it will be 38140 baht total: Win10, case, dvd reader/SD card reader, 16GB Ram, 650W Thermaltake, all included. Extra fans not needed as the case (Kendomen) got 3. That power supply got 5 years warranty and the shop guy told me is very good.

I will very likely pull the trigger on the deal; 38k baht is just about 1100$.

If I order it tomorrow I should have it by Wednesday, as a few parts they have to get from BKK. They can install Win10 for free if I want or should I just pick up the PC and then hope it will boot up when the DVD is inserted when I get home? It could be sort of nice to install Win10 myself and set it up just as I want it?    

LOLZ for the record, there is nothing desirable about installing from DVD, or installing windows 10.

I just installed windows 10 alongside Linux mint. The Linux installation took approximately 10 minutes from a USB, but the windows installation has not changed a massive deal from the days of Vista - except now, when they expect you to sit around for long periods of time, they flash of text on the screen to give you the impression it is being nice to you.

The same old reboots, 'do not turn off your computer ' and 'we are getting your PC ready' 55555

Sent from my nose.

Okay it's a done deal, paid a 10k deposit and the rest when picking it up. Total damage is now 41k without OP!

Case: Decided on the ATX Midi R2 black despite I couldn't see one in the flesh, only 7 left at JIB in Thailand and they just started a clearance sale so got it for 3490.

Graphics card: Most expensive item in the PC at 9700, Asus gtx1060 6gb strix, had a look at a couple of 1060's and that Asus is quite nicely set-up with bigger heat zink and 4 monitor outlets, should work nicely with the Asus motherboard.

The infamous RAM; Changed the original order, is now 2X Kingston HyperX ddr4 8GB, 5100 baht.  So if I one day wants 64gb I am screwed as my current set-up only allows for 32gb, ha-ha.

Was looking at a M2 SSD but the shop technician told me that ones they have for sale have slower writing speeds than the Sammy Evo SSD and not so easy to remove/fit, so we agreed that the Sammy 850 EVO is better for my set-up despite the motherboard has a dedicated slot for M2. M2 is more for very small cases or laptops perhaps?  

Now I just need a Win10 OP? 4300 for the stick thingy thing and can be re-used 5 times the tec told me. Where are MS in 5 years? Still on 10? I doubt that very much.

I will check Ebay and see what I can get there, some posters here seems to have gotten their Win10 for cheap?

Okay it's a done deal, paid a 10k deposit and the rest when picking it up. Total damage is now 41k without OP!

Case: Decided on the ATX Midi R2 black despite I couldn't see one in the flesh, only 7 left at JIB in Thailand and they just started a clearance sale so got it for 3490.

Graphics card: Most expensive item in the PC at 9700, Asus gtx1060 6gb strix, had a look at a couple of 1060's and that Asus is quite nicely set-up with bigger heat zink and 4 monitor outlets, should work nicely with the Asus motherboard.

The infamous RAM; Changed the original order, is now 2X Kingston HyperX ddr4 8GB, 5100 baht.  So if I one day wants 64gb I am screwed as my current set-up only allows for 32gb, ha-ha.

Was looking at a M2 SSD but the shop technician told me that ones they have for sale have slower writing speeds than the Sammy Evo SSD and not so easy to remove/fit, so we agreed that the Sammy 850 EVO is better for my set-up despite the motherboard has a dedicated slot for M2. M2 is more for very small cases or laptops perhaps?  

Now I just need a Win10 OP? 4300 for the stick thingy thing and can be re-used 5 times the tec told me. Where are MS in 5 years? Still on 10? I doubt that very much.
I will check Ebay and see what I can get there, some posters here seems to have gotten their Win10 for cheap?

It seems they don't understand M2 SSDs. No worries, you can always upgrade at a later date.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:07 AM, alocacoc said:

Only YouTube so far

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it. I went through the same M.2 debate (with myself and YouTube) and decided that, although I might see a marginal improvement in boot times, they only really come into their own for moving around large amounts of data; so  I would also stick with the 850 EVO and save a bit of cash. No doubt someone will be along to tell me I don't understand M.2 either....

You can get a cheap Win 10, but as mentioned previously, it will be an OEM version, so if you decide to change your computer, or even a piece of hardware in your current computer, you will have to buy another licence. 

6 hours ago, ben2talk said:

LOLZ for the record, there is nothing desirable about installing from DVD, or installing windows 10.

I just installed windows 10 alongside Linux mint. The Linux installation took approximately 10 minutes from a USB, but the windows installation has not changed a massive deal from the days of Vista - except now, when they expect you to sit around for long periods of time, they flash of text on the screen to give you the impression it is being nice to you.

The same old reboots, 'do not turn off your computer ' and 'we are getting your PC ready' 55555

There's more to installing Mint than first appears. Then after the installing there's the using.

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Money well spent! :)

Excellent!

They must only have the slower ones available now and the tech was right about those. You really didn't want to spend maybe twice as much for the high speeds anyway. Nice, but indeed a splurge.

In 5 years MS is still shoveling Win 10 updates to you and demanding reboots. 5 times doesn't mean 5 years, however. You might need to reinstall once in 5 years. Or not.

Yep, you can get cheap keys on the 'net and just download the .iso from M$oft (Windows ISO Download Tool, http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html), burn it (DVD or USB; WinUSB's good) and install. Happened to see a promo and thread on ExtremeTech the other day leading to this site: https://www.scdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1227-20.html.  Some posters had bought keys and affirmed they're OK. YMMV.

Edited by JSixpack

I been checking this cheap ebay Win10 and are not sure it's such a good idea after all, when it sounds too good to be true it normally is.

1 retailer in the UK sells them for app 800baht and actually ships a ubs stick, another 800 in shipping, so 1600 baht and some send you a activating code on e-mail and nothing else.

On Amazon you can't buy any of those super cheap Win10 software, there is a real one for sale now at 92$.

No I think I will pass and shell out 4300 for truly genuine Win10 software, well still thinking about what to do.

3 hours ago, Jdietz said:

And for the endless discussion 8GB or 16GB, my bloody laptop I'm typing this on has 32GB, current memory use at 79%. 

So more is indeed better.

Merely taken up by spyware and bots running invisibly in the background sending spam emails, delivering ransomware, and trying to hack into banks.

29 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Merely taken up by spyware and bots running invisibly in the background sending spam emails, delivering ransomware, and trying to hack into banks.

heh. lol

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

It seems they don't understand M2 SSDs. No worries, you can always upgrade at a later date.

The cheap M.2 drives are no different that 2.5" SATA SSDs. M.2 can either use SATA or PCIe as the interface from the system to drive. You need to buy a PCIe M.2 drive to get better speeds, and these are usually more expensive. If you have a good 2.5" SSD like the Samsungs, it will probably outperform most cheap M.2 drives since they will be using SATA as the interface. You need to look at the actual read/write and IOPS of the specific drives to see which is best.

The M.2 drives they had in stock at JIB Harbor mall was only 2-300 baht more than the SDD Sammy I bought (same size 240gb) and as mentioned considerable slower, the tec was checking download/upload speeds on both. 

This is now getting into nice to have but not really needed territory if you want one of those super fast M2 drives and have to pay big bucks for the privilege to have extremely fast start-up.

I start my PC in the morning and switch it off again at bed-time even if I go out, so 1 start per day and I am slow in the morning myself waiting for hot water to boil so I can have a nice cup of tea so pretty sure the Sammy will be fast enough for my needs.  

4 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The M.2 drives they had in stock at JIB Harbor mall was only 2-300 baht more than the SDD Sammy I bought (same size 240gb) and as mentioned considerable slower, the tec was checking download/upload speeds on both. 

This is now getting into nice to have but not really needed territory if you want one of those super fast M2 drives and have to pay big bucks for the privilege to have extremely fast start-up.

I start my PC in the morning and switch it off again at bed-time even if I go out, so 1 start per day and I am slow in the morning myself waiting for hot water to boil so I can have a nice cup of tea so pretty sure the Sammy will be fast enough for my needs.  

That is the problem with building your own PC. It is so tempting to keep upping the specs a little on each component and then you end up with a 70-80k system.

I actually just bought the parts for a very similiar system to yours last week from invadeIT last week. I'm still waiting for the delivery because I ran into a couple of components where I had to substitute items because the ones I wanted weren't in available from their suppliers in Thailand.

There's more to installing Mint than first appears. Then after the installing there's the using.

Sure, used since Vista in 2007. Works great!

Sent from my nose.

Using a cheap 256gb ssd gives me 40 second reboot and about 30 startup.

Do you shut down your phone? Do you feel jealous when people who have Apple laptops simply close the lid and not bother shutting down and restarting the computer?

The truth is, there is no need to even to waste 30 seconds shutting down and starting up. If you are not worried about power cuts, then simple sleep and wake up when you turn on your mouse and move it works well.

I run my computer for months on end without doing a shutdown and reboot, I do not have to reboot for many of my updates, usually only kernel upgrades and even then it is optional.

If you do not shut down you will also find that the benefit of loading new programs from SSD instead of using traditional hard disk is also a reduced, you do not need to close all of the programs you are not using when you have eight or 16 GB of RAM.

SSD is a little over-rated, Best Buy lower down the curve... save that money for an extra 4 TB of UHD content.

Sent from my nose.

23 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

The truth is, there is no need to even to waste 30 seconds shutting down and starting up. If you are not worried about power cuts, then simple sleep and wake up when you turn on your mouse and move it works well.

Agreed. For years I also haven't been restarting my computer for weeks or months at a time, just suspend it at night and at times I go out. Very convenient. Maybe once every 6 months there'll be a power cut and my UPS will wake me up beeping.

Costs little extra. A user in the US looked into that some time ago:

My high-end system uses some 120-130 watts just sitting at the desktop (not including monitor), and uses 1 watt when powered off (most computers draw a very small amount of power, even when off, so they can do things like turn on when you press the power button). In sleep mode, my system draws a whopping 5 watts. Five. What does that different of 4 watts mean to you?

My computer is running a lot more than the average person's, so let's just suppose your system is turned off 16 hours a day. That 4W difference works out to a whopping 1.92 killowatt-hours (kWh) per month. According to the Department of Energy, the average price for electricity in the U.S. is 11.59 cents per kWh, so sleep mode costs you 22.2 cents per month. The average home in the U.S. uses 936 kWh per month, so 16 hours of sleep mode a day would be a 0.21% increase in monthly power usage. That's what we call a "rounding error." --http://www.pcworld.com/article/169941/Why_You_Should_Use_Sleep_Mode.html

If you do not shut down you will also find that the benefit of loading new programs from SSD instead of using traditional hard disk is also a reduced, you do not need to close all of the programs you are not using when you have eight or 16 GB of RAM.

Reduced a bit, yes, but still nice to have for various reasons I needn't list. I'll always have one for my system drive.

Bought a Chillblast PC while in the UK 5 years ago and brought is back with me in a suitcase. The cost was just over £450 including the wireless keyboard and mouse and VAT at 20%. Chillblast will build you a PC to your spec, they are a manufacturer. Check them out as they get top awards every year. Whether they would ship one to Thailand I have no idea but it would be worth an ask unless you like getting your hands dirty. Anyway apart from the Power Supply fan that has just been replaced and the mains switch it has been excellent and no chance of me buying from another manufacturer.

Best of luck with your endeavours.

I am not turning off my desktop pc to save power, not at all.

I am an engineer by trade and I just find it good practice to switch it off when I go sleeping, monitor and modem too are switched off. Electrics/electronics can go wrong when they are powered up, hell even catch fire in worst case scenario. The UPS for pc+monitor is switched off too when everything is powered off but only on the bottom on the UPS.

It's not that hard to start it in the morning when I start making a cup of tea and go outside for a fag and check the weather and say hello to the dog.

Okay my TV(s) are only switched off on the remote, so you see that sleeping light on them when off, so not really totally off but if we go on holidays they are un-plugged. 

1 minute ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am not turning off my desktop pc to save power, not at all.

I am an engineer by trade and I just find it good practice to switch it off when I go sleeping, monitor and modem too are switched off. Electrics/electronics can go wrong when they are powered up, hell even catch fire in worst case scenario. The UPS for pc+monitor is switched off too when everything is powered off but only on the bottom on the UPS.

It's not that hard to start it in the morning when I start making a cup of tea and go outside for a fag and check the weather and say hello to the dog.

Okay my TV(s) are only switched off on the remote, so you see that sleeping light on them when off, so not really totally off but if we go on holidays they are un-plugged. 

Switching off the monitor instead of leaving it in standby is Good Practice.

And smoking? Did you decide not to quit because it doesn't smell that bad?

Anyone still switches computers off?

I turn my work PC off over the weekend and my home PC is off most of the time as I only tend to use it to move money around after payday or when work intrudes on my homelife and my phone or tablet isn't up to the task.

I recently built a new PC and people say to buy Fractal cases are on the money bang fr buck they are really nice.

CPU – I7-7700 (Kaby Lake)

Mobo – ASRock Z270 Exreme4

GPU – Gigabyte GTX1060

Ram – Patriot Viper Elite – 16gb

PSU – Corsair CX650M

HDD - 256gb Samsung 750 Evo.

Case – Fractal Define C

OS – Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Thermal Paste – Cooler Master MasterGel

All in cost inc deliver from InvadeIT was 46,000

Running stock CPU fan at the moment as am awaiting my water cooling hard lines to arrive PrimoChill.

Edited by Don Mega

21 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

A 4k monitor is fantastic for photo editing. Hope that helps you understand.

My primary monitor is a 31.5" 4k  Dell and I play zero games but find it fantastic for my CAD work, buying anything lower than 4K simply was not an option.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I recently built a new PC and people say to buy Fractal cases are on the money bang fr buck they are really nice.

CPU – I7-7700 (Kaby Lake)

Mobo – ASRock Z270 Exreme4

GPU – Gigabyte GTX1060

Ram – Patriot Viper Elite – 16gb

PSU – Corsair CX650M

HDD - 256gb Samsung 750 Evo.

Case – Fractal Define C

OS – Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Thermal Paste – Cooler Master MasterGel

All in cost inc deliver from InvadeIT was 46,000

Running stock CPU fan at the moment as am awaiting my water cooling hard lines to arrive PrimoChill.

Nice configuration.