Homebuild desktop PC, 47.000 baht, too much?

guzzi850m2

Just now, JSixpack said:

Nice configuration.

Thanks, Thomas at invadeit actually spec'd  it for me as trying to come up with a mobo/ram/cpu combo that was all compatible was doing my head in so I just chose the case and did the assembly.

As it turns out the Geforce cards are not compatible with Solidworks so it got pulled and replaced with a NVIDIA Quadro P6000 that I was lucky to get of a friend for a good price.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks, Thomas at invadeit actually spec'd  it for me as trying to come up with a mobo/ram/cpu combo that was all compatible was doing my head in so I just chose the case and did the assembly.

As it turns out the Geforce cards are not compatible with Solidworks so it got pulled and replaced with a NVIDIA Quadro P6000 that I was lucky to get of a friend for a good price.

Just outta curiosity how did you come to choose the Fractal? I see InvadeIT purports to carry quite a diverse stock. I say "purports" because I've found you have to email them first to see if they can actually get any particular item shown on the site.

14 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Just outta curiosity how did you come to choose the Fractal? I see InvadeIT purports to carry quite a diverse stock. I say "purports" because I've found you have to email them first to see if they can actually get any particular item shown on the site.

I did a load of "research" on YouTube...

I live in a house owned by a cat, so there had to be intake filters. I don't always use aircon, so wanted a case with plenty of cooling potential (space and good airflow). I didn't need a DVD drive, so any form of drive holder in the front was unnecessary (and would block air flow). The Fractal S met all of my requirements and looks good too (I think). Apart from the 2 CPU radiator fans, I have four fans in the case, with space for three more if I remove the top panels; and it runs cool and quiet. Have to boost the fans when gaming, but that is to be expected, especially with the power hungry GTX 1080ti.

Thomas doesn't hold much stock; but when he quotes 1-3 days he usually delivers. I ordered a long list of items on a Sunday night. On the Monday morning he told me he could get everything apart from the power supply, so I chose an alternative. Everything was on a truck on a Wednesday and in my hands on the Thursday morning. He was very helpful when I couldn't boot more than 1 memory stick (try backing off the CPU cooler tightening - it worked!). Great service, would not buy IT stuff anywhere else.

IMG_7126.JPG

6 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

I live in a house owned by a cat, so there had to be intake filters. I don't always use aircon, so wanted a case with plenty of cooling potential (space and good airflow). I didn't need a DVD drive, so any form of drive holder in the front was unnecessary (and would block air flow). The Fractal S met all of my requirements and looks good too (I think). Apart from the 2 CPU radiator fans, I have four fans in the case, with space for three more if I remove the top panels; and it runs cool and quiet. Have to boost the fans when gaming, but that is to be expected, especially with the power hungry GTX 1080ti.

Thomas doesn't hold much stock; but when he quotes 1-3 days he usually delivers. I ordered a long list of items on a Sunday night. On the Monday morning he told me he could get everything apart from the power supply, so I chose an alternative. Everything was on a truck on a Wednesday and in my hands on the Thursday morning. He was very helpful when I couldn't boot more than 1 memory stick (try backing off the CPU cooler tightening - it worked!). Great service, would not buy IT stuff anywhere else.

In a nut shell that's why I chose a fractal (water cooling, 360 front mount for CPU and 240 top mount for GPU) and my experience with invadeit and Thomas mirrors yours.

Edited by Don Mega

50 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

IMG_7126.JPG

Clean & nice setup. Not gonna miss anything going on inside the case. :smile: You should post that pic over in the hardforum.com's Post Your Workstations 2017 thread.

Okay I picked up my new baby today after the technician showed me the BIOS of the PC.

The case is huge man and heavy so I got the store technician to help me, he used a small flatbed trolley to roll it out to my truck and a bag of empty boxes for all the items that's used for the build (have to keep them for now in case of problems.), I gave him 100 baht as he been very helpful and polite. 

Booted it up when I got home via the memory stick I made up yesterday and that went surprisingly well without any problems at all. I made a customs install and ticked off in all the fields in the options window and obviously installed Win on the SSD.  I have the Win10 64bit pro version and I rather not tell you from where, see how that goes.

Now I transferred my Astrill VPN, downloaded free anti virus & downloading all the stuff I want, take some time to set it all up.

One thing is for sure, this PC flies compared to my old tired HP, he-he, but off-course, it should, comparing a 2011 model with a 2017 one (upper mid range build, both), 6 years is a lot when we talk PC's.

I am glad I got the ATX case and not the Kendommen that looks fragile compared to the ATX and small, he-he, (Thanks JSixpack). Interestingly both Kendommen cases was sold and being build, I saw one of them getting a 650ti GPU fitted. The technician told me that the ATX case is mostly sold as a server unit, LOL.

Happy days for JIB, the tec told they might get 2 more stores in Pattaya (so 5 in total), one in the being build Terminal 21Mall and 1 in Central so they are busy as many Thais now also have their own PC's build to spec and they sometimes do +200k baht builds, the tec told me, but most are in the 20-30k baht range.

JIB at Harbor Mall have been very professional during this whole process, I had a good hard look at the wiring in the PC before he assembled it today and it all looked good, so I will not hesitate to recommend them to others that wants to do a build. 

So my build is 40600 baht + OP, my first build and it been very interesting to do, find what is best for my needs without overdoing it (too much, LOL).

Many thanks to all here that gave good advises, much appreciated, some posters here clearly knows what they are talking about and I learned a lot from it.

Happy computering.

Edited by guzzi850m2

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Happy days for JIB, the tec told they might get 2 more stores in Pattaya (so 5 in total), one in the being build Terminal 21Mall and 1 in Central so they are busy as many Thais now also have their own PC's build to spec and they sometimes do +200k baht builds, the tec told me, but most are in the 20-30k baht range.

Good news, indeed.  When I lived in Hua Hin, they had a small shop but could order anything I found on their web site and it would be delivered within a couple days at no extra cost.   Where's the third current shop in Pattaya?  I know of Tukcom and Harbor Mall.

9 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Good news, indeed.  When I lived in Hua Hin, they had a small shop but could order anything I found on their web site and it would be delivered within a couple days at no extra cost.   Where's the third current shop in Pattaya?  I know of Tukcom and Harbor Mall.

I think there is JIB at the newly refurbished "Central Marina"   ( AKA Big C north )

On 10/05/2017 at 10:39 AM, Don Mega said:

I recently built a new PC and people say to buy Fractal cases are on the money bang fr buck they are really nice.

CPU – I7-7700 (Kaby Lake)

Mobo – ASRock Z270 Exreme4

GPU – Gigabyte GTX1060

Ram – Patriot Viper Elite – 16gb

PSU – Corsair CX650M

HDD - 256gb Samsung 750 Evo.

Case – Fractal Define C

OS – Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Thermal Paste – Cooler Master MasterGel

All in cost inc deliver from InvadeIT was 46,000

Running stock CPU fan at the moment as am awaiting my water cooling hard lines to arrive PrimoChill.

Hi Don. Just out of curiosity have been tracking CPU temp of the 7700? I've seen concerns about temp spiking and as always I never trust everything I read on the wonderful world web.

Do you play around with overclocking at all?

Does CAD stretch the 1060 at all?

Thabks in advance 

14 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The case is huge man and heavy so I got the store technician to help me, he used a small flatbed trolley to roll it out to my truck and a bag of empty boxes for all the items that's used for the build (have to keep them for now in case of problems.), I gave him 100 baht as he been very helpful and polite. 

I feel you with oversized cases. My Osidian 900D is a monster. Then fully loaded it's almost immovable lol.

Maybe not such a good idea seeing as I've got physical disabilities ?

4 minutes ago, MadMuhummad said:

Hi Don. Just out of curiosity have been tracking CPU temp of the 7700? I've seen concerns about temp spiking and as always I never trust everything I read on the wonderful world web.

Do you play around with overclocking at all?

Does CAD stretch the 1060 at all?

Thabks in advance 

Not been tracking cpu temps but will be water cooled next week.

Nope no overclocking.

Solid works was not playing happy with the 1060 so swapped it out for a Quadro P6000. Catia and Fusion 360 was fine with the 1060 though but they are not my primary CAD software.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Not been tracking cpu temps but will be water cooled next week.

Nope no overclocking.

Solid works was not playing happy with the 1060 so swapped it out for a Quadro P6000. Catia and Fusion 360 was fine with the 1060 though but they are not my primary CAD software.

Ah sorry, I missed the GPU swap. I was obviously curious how it would hold up. 

I feel water cooling is essential anyway, should always be seriously considered.

Thanks for the swift reply and information.

Just now, MadMuhummad said:

Ah sorry, I missed the GPU swap. I was obviously curious how it would hold up. 

I feel water cooling is essential anyway, should always be seriously considered.

Thanks for the swift reply and information.

yeah without a doubt in this climate water cooling is essential in my opinion.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:54 PM, Don Mega said:

What case did ya get ?

ATX Fractial, it's build like a tank and make my old HP PC case looks small. 

Well as said, I am glad I got it, good airflow and very easy to work inside should the need arise, like the window on the left side so I can very easy see if the fans are running or not.

App 100$ for it is very fair i would say.

I don't want water cooling, it's over the top for my needs and there is 3 years warranty on CPU, GPU & motherboard and the SDD and power supply have even 5 years, so I am not too worried about it. 

16 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Okay I picked up my new baby today after the technician showed me the BIOS of the PC.

Booted it up when I got home via the memory stick I made up yesterday and that went surprisingly well without any problems at all. I made a customs install and ticked off in all the fields in the options window and obviously installed Win on the SSD.  I have the Win10 64bit pro version and I rather not tell you from where, see how that goes.

Now I transferred my Astrill VPN, downloaded free anti virus & downloading all the stuff I want, take some time to set it all up.

One thing is for sure, this PC flies compared to my old tired HP, he-he, but off-course, it should, comparing a 2011 model with a 2017 one (upper mid range build, both), 6 years is a lot when we talk PC's.

I am glad I got the ATX case and not the Kendommen that looks fragile compared to the ATX and small, he-he, (Thanks JSixpack). Interestingly both Kendommen cases was sold and being build, I saw one of them getting a 650ti GPU fitted. The technician told me that the ATX case is mostly sold as a server unit, LOL.

JIB at Harbor Mall have been very professional during this whole process, I had a good hard look at the wiring in the PC before he assembled it today and it all looked good, so I will not hesitate to recommend them to others that wants to do a build. 

So my build is 40600 baht + OP, my first build and it been very interesting to do, find what is best for my needs without overdoing it (too much, LOL).

Many thanks to all here that gave good advises, much appreciated, some posters here clearly knows what they are talking about and I learned a lot from it.

Happy computering.

Tnx for coming back & posting the outcome. Glad things went so well for you at JIB. They always have w/ me . . . have become a lot more professional over the years.

Quite a change indeed from that ol' HP.  It's Christmas. Comparing a good build like that you understand immediately how HP economizes to aim for the mass consumer. That case is going to be a joy just to look at daily, never mind all the other advantages.

Ryzen should treat you well, good value. Couple months ago I read an amusing reply on hardocp to the question whether to choose the new Ryzen or Intel--almost worthy of the Pattaya forum. ;)

If money is no object, then spend like a drunk sailor on intel.

Otherwise...

If you're doing any % of Photoshop/rendering, Ryzen is the way to go, and put the savings you got by not buying 6800+ into getting a high-end GPU/SSD/hookers and blow and call it a day.

Depending on your resolution, you won't even notice the slight drop-off in gaming performance compared to a 7700k.

As JIB indicated, they're doing good business in the Thai market (shocking as this may seem to our Thais-have-no-money brigade) and that makes sense given the rise of the PC gaming segment.

All told, the market for pre-built and "DIY" gaming-focused PCs (which also includes "upgrades and accessories such as input devices and audio/communication systems") exceeded $30 billion (£24 billion) for the first time last year ($30.346 billion, to be precise), according to JPR's latest report. That's well up from the estimated $24.6 billion (£19.6 billion) market for gaming PCs that JPR saw back in 2015.

--https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/as-pc-sales-shrink-the-gaming-pc-market-grows-faster-than-expected/

1 minute ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am not sure of the exact model no, hmm let me check. ARC Midi R2 is the name

Not too shabby at all, I really like the fractal range, they make nice cases.

Why would you need JIB in Hia Hin when you have Invade IT?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Happy computering.

Don't bother with the free AV software- Windows Defender is better.

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Don't bother with the free AV software- Windows Defender is better.

Except when it isn't: Massive vulnerability in Windows Defender leaves most Windows PCs vulnerable

But I think it's good 'nuff. That and a weekly scan w/ Malwarebytes . . . .

On 5/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, JSixpack said:

Except when it isn't: Massive vulnerability in Windows Defender leaves most Windows PCs vulnerable

But I think it's good 'nuff. That and a weekly scan w/ Malwarebytes . . . .

I installed Bitdefender based on experts recommendations on different sites, it was always among the best (2017) in 3-4 sites which is good enough for me. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:44 AM, JaseTheBass said:

Why would you need JIB in Hia Hin when you have Invade IT?

Because there are people who don't like to overpay. Invade is only beneficial for those not close to a physical store.

Because there are people who don't like to overpay. Invade is only beneficial for those not close to a physical store.

Overpaid? Thomas has always been happy to price match for me in the past and I've often found him to be cheaper than othet places.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

Overpaid? Thomas has always been happy to price match for me in the past and I've often found him to be cheaper than othet places.

ROFL - what if we're not friends with this 'Thomas'? Who the heck is 'Thomas'?

In my opinion, I'd choose the shop that posts stuff at a reasonable price, rather than the one that slaps a surcharge of 500 on everything to catch out anyone who doesn't think it's appropriate to need to haggle with in IT store.

ROFL - what if we're not friends with this 'Thomas'? Who the heck is 'Thomas'?
In my opinion, I'd choose the shop that posts stuff at a reasonable price, rather than the one that slaps a surcharge of 500 on everything to catch out anyone who doesn't think it's appropriate to need to haggle with in IT store.

I'm not friends with him either, I just managed to remember the name of the owner of a business who gives very good service.

I did enjoy your mock-shock reaction though. Made me chuckle.

Price matching is a standard business practice in the real world, although not a widespread practice over here in my experience.

10 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I'm not friends with him either, I just managed to remember the name of the owner of a business who gives very good service.

I did enjoy your mock-shock reaction though. Made me chuckle.

Price matching is a standard business practice in the real world, although not a widespread practice over here in my experience.

Oh. A standard practice where I came from is to do a quick search; let's say the GTX1050 2GB OC card; great budget option.

InvadeIT 4990

J.I.B. 4090

Reminds me of buying some dishsoap in a small shop in Isaan. How much? "Errrr 20, 30, mai chai, 45 baht". 

J.I.B. service is excellent. There is no 'mock-shock' reaction, I get annoyed by people who support this kind of business practice. As a customer, my role is to support the consumer - not the profiteering rip off merchants!

I'm pleased you can get InvadeIT to discount their goods to less than 4090, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Rip off merchants!

Coming from the U.K. I associate this with 'American style' consumer practices. It doesn't work unless J.I.B. is physically out of reach and won't send the goods to you - then you are forced to take the other option.

And in most cases, Jetcom is even cheaper than JIB or Jedicool.

The reason that Invade has so little stock is that he just orders it upon demand. It's a sort of dropshipper.

Edited by sniffdog

3 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Oh. A standard practice where I came from is to do a quick search; let's say the GTX1050 2GB OC card; great budget option.

InvadeIT 4990

J.I.B. 4090

Reminds me of buying some dishsoap in a small shop in Isaan. How much? "Errrr 20, 30, mai chai, 45 baht". 

J.I.B. service is excellent. There is no 'mock-shock' reaction, I get annoyed by people who support this kind of business practice. As a customer, my role is to support the consumer - not the profiteering rip off merchants!

I'm pleased you can get InvadeIT to discount their goods to less than 4090, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Rip off merchants!

Coming from the U.K. I associate this with 'American style' consumer practices. It doesn't work unless J.I.B. is physically out of reach and won't send the goods to you - then you are forced to take the other option.

Whilst invadeit has always been known to be a bit more expensive your price comparison is not correct.

looking at the 2 websites the only card on jib for 4090 is this one

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/24105/17/VGA-ASUS-PH-GTX1050-2G

with the same card at invadeit for 4490.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/video-cards/asus/phoenix-geforce-gtx1050-2gb-gddr5-ph-gtx1050-2g-p029259/