Four killed as pickup rams into rescue workers assisting injured biker

20 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Tragic.

Dedicate your life to saving and helping people, only to be killed in the process.

R.I.P. to all concerned..

Most Thai drivers "JUST DON"T CARE" for anybody else on the road(or anywhere else for that matter).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I tend to be agnostic most days, but Jesus man. That is one hell of a pileup...and i bet it was mostly preventable.

Usually preventable except where pea brained Thai drivers are concerned. Hope he/she gets to pay HUGE amounts of baht (hundreds of thousands in lieu of lifetime imprisonment - his/her choice - and they do go to jail until full payment is made) compensation to deceased peoples families and to those injured.

I really think that some of these drivers, if they had another brain it would be lonely. :post-4641-1156693976:

RIP to the deceased and condolences to families and friends. May those who were injured have a full recovery.

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

Hope the pickup driver was giving the breath bag.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see. 

remember we are in the 3rd world out here and in general thais dont observe whats going on around them there was probably signs saying what was happening ahead also the pick up driver must have known he was almost at the scene of the accident with information he received prior but carried on at full speed, i wonder if i wont get paid if i dont get there quickly was on the pickup drivers mind instead of taking notice what was happening

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is most certainly a scene of absolute carnage. One wonders why the pick up never saw the ambulance. It is standard procedure for them at every accident to have the flashing lights going. RIP to the good people trying to help who have lost their lives.

Maths problem, the truck hit 6 workers, killed 4 and injured three. That makes 7.

Plus 1 pick up driver = 7 ......... simple maths really !

Just now, hottrader77 said:

remember we are in the 3rd world out here and in general thais dont observe whats going on around them there was probably signs saying what was happening ahead also the pick up driver must have known he was almost at the scene of the accident with information he received prior but carried on at full speed, i wonder if i wont get paid if i dont get there quickly was on the pickup drivers mind instead of taking notice what was happening

Reasons perhaps but NOT excuses.

With out the general knowledge of how to proper drive on the roadways with "caution" and "courtesy" along with proper police enforcement  (and their knowledge of the laws) this carnage will continue and even increase as more idiots are driving.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Absolutely, it's about waiting for the red light runners to pass, the late arrivals who have a death wish - green light, count to five, drive.

Yes you are right but also the slow movers are also the ones who speed through the red lights so they know what to expect.

8 minutes ago, jmerrett said:

Thais have no idea on how to make a scene safe flashing bracons and witches hats 300 mtr warning bracons to slow or merge into another lane stupid stupid

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looking at the photo there appears to be bad driving conditions (weather?) and therefore ANY driver should be driving (safely) according to the conditions. The fact that this driver had this crash, seems to me, that he/she was not doing so. Sure the "warning beacons etc" may have helped but they did not cause the accident. Drivers/riders cause crashes!

Edited by lvr181
Correction

14 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Reasons perhaps but NOT excuses.

No excuses this is realk life out here , the problem with most farlangs driving here in thailand they think they are driving back home and not on the road where there are pea brained drivers  

May they rest in peace.
young lads volunteering to go out to help wounded and clean up the mess after accidents.

The pickup was D.u.I. Enough said.  
Hope they put him in what he is. 

1 hour ago, jenifer d said:

amazing that NOBODY has drawn an analogy between this incident, in which the p/u driver

was charged immediately, and a certain spoiled brat scion of an energy drink fortune,

who through liberal brown envelopes and blood money to the relatives has managed 

to escape justice in a hugely flamboyant manner...  :post-4641-1156693976:

that said, there was a horrible m/c-m/c accident right in front of my home the other night-

one driver was Thai, one was a tourist; both severely injured...

sounded to me & my next door neighbors as if somebody had thrown a huge rock against our front doors...

something must be done to stop this wholly unavoidable carnage...

What do you suggest ?

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see.

Possible speeding you mean speeding for certain. One thing that seems to be nearly always forgotten is to nominate 2 persons to get up and down the road to warn oncoming traffic. That should be the first action taken.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

They also have no idea about how to use the hazardlights of a car....Even the police/ambulance has no idea how to use wailing lights and on top of that EVERY person is allowed to use them, even next to main roads.

Myself i don't pay attention to red/blue wailing lights anymore. See them all day everywhere.

Yes they do, they use them when they are going straight through a junction:saai:

Well the road was well lit,just another Thai driver not paying attention,or too much to drink. RIP lads.

regards Worgeordie

In Thailand hazard lights are used when you want to block traffic and shop at roadside stall.

We should all keep an emergency kit of traffic cones, flares, etc in you car in case you have flat tire or engine problems.  The way Thais drive, the cones should be placed 50 metres behind your car!

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is most certainly a scene of absolute carnage. One wonders why the pick up never saw the ambulance. It is standard procedure for them at every accident to have the flashing lights going. RIP to the good people trying to help who have lost their lives.

Maths problem, the truck hit 6 workers, killed 4 and injured three. That makes 7.

4 hours ago, kkup said:

Terrible tragedy, RIP. Note to editor 4 + 3 = 6

2 hours ago, Udo Zickler said:

And 1 police man. Now it's correct. Better reading.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Plus 1 pick up driver = 7 ......... simple maths really !

The answer is 9 victims. There were 6 rescue workers hit of which 4 died and 2 survivors that are in the hospital. Also in the hospital is the motorcycle rider they were attending, a police officer that came to the scene to help and the reason this carnage occurred, the driver of the truck. All this information was included in the full article and only reading comprehension was required to decipher it.  

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

That's the problem sir, and if they like to give a sign, they will do at the place with the accident itself, but not 2-300 mtr before the place it happens.

Big differents when compare with europe for example.

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

if someone is drunk speeding having a text conversation or a combination any way you like - they might be sitting in the driving seat but they are definitely not in control of anything least of all the vehicle they are supposed to be driving

The only way to combat this is strict effective law enforcement and stiff penalties for offenders caught, mandatory breath test and mobile check at every accident scene.

said it many times and will repeat - and all because of poor effective law enforcement that allows the prolific following listed offences.  

- Drunk Driving

- mobile phone use.............and I am not talking about voice calls, people are actually having text based conversations using social media apps  (number one in my opinion)

- Blatant disregard for road signs markings and conditions

- mechanical fitness of vehicle - road worthiness 

- Speeding (not the worst but when combined with the others above becomes deadly)

I guess accidents will happen. The sad thing is that far far less would happen if the Thais adopted a proper driving test, has proper enforcement, Fines that match the offence and a justice system that worked. Instead any Thai can get a driving licence regardless of even a modicum of competence , for a few hundred baht; the police target foreigners and minor offences whilst oblivious to major life threatening ones; the fines are absurd and bear no relation to seriousness; the courts are abused by the rich who set the example the rest of the sheep follow; society could not really care less. And the last point is really the telling one in a country which is run by the corrupt who do not need to concern themselves much with breaking the laws as they are rarely found culpable unless the victim of a political witch-hunt for which the word victim applied only to the witch-hunt and nothing to do with anything else.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

The <deleted> wouldn't take notice anyway. 

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Almost certainly speeding and almost certainly, not paying attention to their surroundings, I see it myself every day, the drivers head bobbing around as he/she chats in the cab/watches TV/plays with the kids/plays with the phone - those things combined with some of the slowest reaction times I'm ever seen anywhere, I don't know what that's all about but the "think" needed to act seems way too high, that's why I spend more time watching what's going on behind me than in front and why I wont let people get get even a little bit close to my rear bumper. You only have to add alcohol to all of that and you end up with a super dangerous driving environment, which is what it is.

They do everything, exept.....safe driving.

4 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

I guess accidents will happen. The sad thing is that far far less would happen if the Thais adopted a proper driving test, has proper enforcement, Fines that match the offence and a justice system that worked. Instead any Thai can get a driving licence regardless of even a modicum of competence , for a few hundred baht; the police target foreigners and minor offences whilst oblivious to major life threatening ones; the fines are absurd and bear no relation to seriousness; the courts are abused by the rich who set the example the rest of the sheep follow; society could not really care less. And the last point is really the telling one in a country which is run by the corrupt who do not need to concern themselves much with breaking the laws as they are rarely found culpable unless the victim of a political witch-hunt for which the word victim applied only to the witch-hunt and nothing to do with anything else.

driving lessons and test are of limited effect, they are good for people who have never driven before to give them a head start, most people after driving for a year or so know exactly how to drive just from practise.

The guy that caused this carnage has likely been driving for a long time, he is not a 17 year old taking to the road for the first time having just passed a test.

I would be willing to wager that if you asked him what he thought he did wrong to cause the accident he would know exactly, it would be either drunk - speeding - using his phone or possibly all of them, these people generally know exactly what they doing that is wrong, if you ask them why they do it - because they can, what that equates too is that they believe they will get away with it which means very simply - serious lack of law enforcement and punishment 

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

driving lessons and test are of limited effect, they are good for people who have never driven before to give them a head start, most people after driving for a year or so know exactly how to drive just from practise.

The guy that caused this carnage has likely been driving for a long time, he is not a 17 year old taking to the road for the first time having just passed a test.

I would be willing to wager that if you asked him what he thought he did wrong to cause the accident he would know exactly, it would be either drunk - speeding - using his phone or possibly all of them, these people generally know exactly what they doing that is wrong, if you ask them why they do it - because they can, what that equates too is that they believe they will get away with it which means very simply - serious lack of law enforcement and punishment 

:clap2:.......You know that, I know that, but the folk who control that stuff ain't got a clue or don't care.

Edited by transam