Thai govt warns of driver's license fraud

webfact

Govt warns of driver's license fraud

BANGKOK, 8 May 2017 (NNT) - Director-General of the Department of Land Transport Sanit Promwong has warned of scammers who claim that they can issue a driver’s license without tests, saying that only the department or government transportation offices are authorized to issue a driver’s license. 

The director-general elaborated that application for any type of driver’s license must conform to the regulations of the Department of Land Transport and it has the same standards nationwide. People who apply for a driver’s license must complete all tests by themselves. After the application, there are a physical exam, a 5-hour session and a written E-exam before a driving test, said the official. 

The same procedure is applicable to renewal of a driver’s license. 

Those who were deceived by such scammers lost a lot of money. Some of them lost their personal document which could be used for criminal purposes, the director-general said. He urged people who have been contacted to obtain a driver’s license illegally to alert officers immediately or call 1584.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-08

"The same procedure is applicable to renewal of a driver’s license".  Is this correct, " physical exam, a 5-hour session and a written E-exam before a driving test"?

Is the above true, new or did I miss something way back?

They just about issue them to anyone whether they can drive or not, and how does the so call test prove they can drive?, it's a joke and not a real driving test at all. Even then some cannot pass three maneuvers in a car park and pay under the table, hence the appalling accident rates.

Edited by Orton Rd

The "test" is an absolute joke. 2 minutes actually driving and a 5 minute multiple choice exam. Why anyone would feel the need to obtain a dodgy license, to avoid this simple exercise is really beyond me.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The director-general elaborated that application for any type of driver’s license must conform to the regulations of the Department of Land Transport and it has the same standards nationwide. People who apply for a driver’s license must complete all tests by themselves. After the application, there are a physical exam, a 5-hour session and a written E-exam before a driving test, said the official. 

There is no 5 hour session or written exam at Surin or Parasat DLT. for renewal.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

The "test" is an absolute joke. 2 minutes actually driving and a 5 minute multiple choice exam. Why anyone would feel the need to obtain a dodgy license, to avoid this simple exercise is really beyond me.

Have you read the article? The new sessions are 5 hours long and the test is significantly improved and much harder by all accounts.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

"The same procedure is applicable to renewal of a driver’s license".  Is this correct, " physical exam, a 5-hour session and a written E-exam before a driving test"?

Is the above true, new or did I miss something way back?

I thought the same thing.........got my Bike and Car license 3 months ago, and asked about renewal in two years.....They told me just come down with license and passport copies etc. No test.......:huh:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

saying that only the department or government transportation offices are authorized to issue a driver’s license. 

Like Duh... really? only the movement allowed to issue those licenses...

I'm sorry for the people who has to be told that..... but than again gullible

people are everywhere looking for the too good to be true deals....

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Have you read the article? The new sessions are 5 hours long and the test is significantly improved and much harder by all accounts.

Harder as in actually driving on a road??

I thought the same thing.........got my Bike and Car license 3 months ago, and asked about renewal in two years.....They told me just come down with license and passport copies etc. No test.......:huh:

It sounds like you've got a temporary license (2 years) so the renewal requirements might be different. I don't however think that they would make people redo a written test, but maybe they'll make applicants do the reaction test (only about 5 min)

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Harder as in actually driving on a road??

I don't know, I do know the written test now has quite a high failure rate according to news reports - I also know that five hours tuition is significantly improved over the previous one hour.

3 minutes ago, SABloke said:

It sounds like you've got a temporary license (2 years) so the renewal requirements might be different. I don't however think that they would make people redo a written test, but maybe they'll make applicants do the reaction test (only about 5 min)

Currently a reaction and colour blindness test is required to renew a five year license, along with the one hour (now five hour) tuition. But no written or actual driving test is required, that's what I'm keen to understand whether the rules have changed or not.

39 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

There is no 5 hour session or written exam at Surin or Parasat DLT. for renewal.

Nor at pattaya or Phitsanulok. Do the silly tests for colour and reaction. Pay money. Photo taken, without specs even if you wear them 24/7, In & Out

This is what the real joke is They give you an eye test for color Why they test for color vision I have no idea The distance  with of course is important but here is the 

thing There is no test for vision I mean no test to see if you need glasses or not And on the license to my knowledge ( and correct me if I am wrong)

no mention of whether you need glasses to drive or not

So I ask you which is important If you can tell the difference between a red or blue car or if you can SEE properly when you are driving

I dont get it This system is not even a system that is good for the driver it is a joke as everyone says it is 

Western standards aside Can you believe there are drivers out there who cannot see Scares the hell out of me 

Sad fact is that the issuance of licenses is a global problem.

Only just very recently a huge scam was uncovered in on of australia's state license centres with bikers having an examiner under their control.

If the license regulations were like they are in many western nations and strictly enforced no doubt the usual suspects would be on crying into their cheap beer about that.

There are a host of organisations etc that could and should do better and that is the case all over the world.

People who want the services and government transparency they believe they are used and entitled to need to review where they want to live.

Better driving license regulations are so far down the list of priorities as to be of zero importance in terms of national 'health'.

58 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Thank God for that, the last time i renewed my license it took 5 hours as it was under the 'old rules'

Girlfriend recently went for the test, passed the written, failed the driving. Was told that for 5000 baht she could get her license. She opted to take the test again another day , but said some of her friends went the 5000 baht way.

Just now, tallfarang said:

Girlfriend recently went for the test, passed the written, failed the driving. Was told that for 5000 baht she could get her license. She opted to take the test again another day , but said some of her friends went the 5000 baht way.

I could never understand why some fail, it's mostly on the parking test, in Prasat i watched them parking and heard the call outs of failed or passed over the microphone but couldn't for the life of me see any difference between the abilities of those who failed or passed.

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I could never understand why some fail, it's mostly on the parking test, in Prasat i watched them parking and heard the call outs of failed or passed over the microphone but couldn't for the life of me see any difference between the abilities of those who failed or passed.

No idea, she passed the second time. apparently a lot of them failed the driving test. I remember seeing Thai's taking the  test when I got my bike license 10 years ago and at that time no one seemed to fail, if they screwed up they just did it again until they got it right. Scary thing is  she took some driving course an not once did they make the students drive on  any real streets.

Edited by tallfarang
grammar

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

I went to mochit, in BKK (guess they got higher standards there). I had to do all the tests for color blindness dept vision and reaction time. I also had to sit through a video of hour or so. But this was the same when I extended it before. Maybe they just want to bring other locations also up to the same standards. 

My wife took her test two months ago. Failed the parking...........one week later she retook the parking. Her instructor stood about five metres away in front of the car,  and gave her hand signals, whether to turn the wheel left or right. Examiner was standing at the side.............she passed !!!

Also, for my license I went to Cha-Am as it is a lot quieter than Pranburi.......The reaction test machine has been broken for nearly six months....so they do not bother with it........:w00t:

14 minutes ago, tallfarang said:

No idea, she passed the second time. apparently a lot of them failed the driving test. I remember seeing Thai's taking the  test when I got my bike license 10 years ago and at that time no one seemed to fail, if they screwed up they just did it again until they got it right. Scary thing is  she took some driving course an not once did they make the students drive on  any real streets.

When i first came here after not having driven for quite some time (and not used to driving in Thailand) I decided to take some tests here and do the test here. The (ex)wife did so too and we certainly went on the roads quite a few times. Yes the parking sessions were there too but the road driving too. Maybe I was just lucky to have a good driving school at that time. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

When i first came here after not having driven for quite some time (and not used to driving in Thailand) I decided to take some tests here and do the test here. The (ex)wife did so too and we certainly went on the roads quite a few times. Yes the parking sessions were there too but the road driving too. Maybe I was just lucky to have a good driving school at that time. 

Her company paid for it, It took 2 weekends, lots of in class study, but most of the practical driving was in a big practice facility. I was just corrected by gf, she apparently did do some road driving but very little. Most was done at the practice facility. Sounds like you might have had received more comprehensive training than she did. Nonetheless, she won't be driving my car anytime soon. :-)

13 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

My wife took her test two months ago. Failed the parking...........one week later she retook the parking. Her instructor stood about five metres away in front of the car,  and gave her hand signals, whether to turn the wheel left or right. Examiner was standing at the side.............she passed !!!

Also, for my license I went to Cha-Am as it is a lot quieter than Pranburi.......The reaction test machine has been broken for nearly six months....so they do not bother with it........:w00t:

Ann went there last week to ask when she could come for the test,August 21st!!!!!Talk about busy!

43 minutes ago, tallfarang said:

This article is about unauthorised scams on the official scammer...

19 minutes ago, tallfarang said:

Her company paid for it, It took 2 weekends, lots of in class study, but most of the practical driving was in a big practice facility. I was just corrected by gf, she apparently did do some road driving but very little. Most was done at the practice facility. Sounds like you might have had received more comprehensive training than she did. Nonetheless, she won't be driving my car anytime soon. :-)

How can she ever learn then ? Just let her drive you beside her.. start off slow.

Edited by robblok