PM Prayut says govt has water management plan for rainy season in place

PM says govt has water management plan for rainy season in place

PNSOC600507001000101.JPG

BANGKOK, 8th May 2017 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has confirmed that the government has a water management plan for the monsoon season in place. 

As the rainy season has arrived, the prime minister has asserted that measures have been prepared to combat the flooding that is often triggered by heavy rains. He says however, the amount of rainwater this year will be lower than in the previous year, so reservoirs both small and large should store as much water as possible, so that the country has sufficient for household consumption, agriculture, and industrial production throughout the year. 

He added that farmers should continue to heed officials’ advice and turn to drought-tolerant crops when water supply is low. 

Gen Prayut said the government has been working on improving irrigation systems in local communities, dredging canals and waterways, building water retention areas, and utilizing groundwater, in addition to drafting a law concerned with the protection of water resources.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-08

The PM says the government have water management plans  in place for the rainy season.

However there will be less rain this year :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

When Bangkok is under water, somebody will need to remind him what he said.

It's not a particularly easy problem to solve. The Chao Phraya is the main river system which flows North to South and empties into the Andaman at Bangkok, it takes all the water from the border regions to Bangkok - the Mekong river system hardly plays any role in this. All it takes is heavy rainfall in one of the catchment areas, the North, the Central Plain, the Border Regions, and that river system becomes overweight in flood water and Bangkok floods.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's not a particularly easy problem to solve. The Chao Phraya is the main river system which flows North to South and empties into the Andaman at Bangkok, it takes all the water from the border regions to Bangkok - the Mekong river system hardly plays any role in this. All it takes is heavy rainfall in one of the catchment areas, the North, the Central Plain, the Border Regions, and that river system becomes overweight in flood water and Bangkok floods.

They moved the Chao Praya to the Andaman? Well that should be helpful because I see you have the Mekong flooding Bangkok this year.

15 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They moved the Chao Praya to the Andaman? Well that should be helpful because I see you have the Mekong flooding Bangkok this year.

Yes sorry, I meant to write the Gulf but was thinking of the border rivers as I was typing.

It shouldn't be too hard for a country that has heavy rain for chunks of the year to be able to avoid drought, but this is Thailand so expect flooding and shortages. And after Prayuts comment about the amount of rain this year being less than normal, I shall be moving to higher ground.

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It shouldn't be too hard for a country that has heavy rain for chunks of the year to be able to avoid drought, but this is Thailand so expect flooding and shortages. And after Prayuts comment about the amount of rain this year being less than normal, I shall be moving to higher ground.

Sadly it is that hard! If you look at the detail of the attached, look at the previous years by clicking on the dam name ( :) ), you'll see that the rainfall pattern in the country has changed. So whereas four years ago it might have been sensible to build new dams in say the North or or upper Central, those areas have seen rainfall shortages in recent years. The problem therefore is where to build the news dams or catchment areas in the hope they will still be fit for purpose in say five years time.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

@fruitman: the water storage in basins you refer to was actually overflow areas designated by the late king. "monkey cheeks" is royal land that is used to prevent water reaching Bangkok but that water is not stored.

Edited by simoh1490

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

empties into the Andaman at Bangkok, i

Geography check needed!!! The Chao Praya river empties into the Sea of Siam... Andaman is on the southwest coast of Thailand and Malaysia....

3 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

Geography check needed!!! The Chao Praya river empties into the Sea of Siam... Andaman is on the southwest coast of Thailand and Malaysia....

Read the thread before posting.

I wish their water management would improve where we live. Up here when they need to release water because the dam is full. they just open the gates and let it all go at one time flooding many homes and farms. It would be nice if they learned how to open the gates and let the water come out a little slower and save the flooding.

When it floods here can set your clock to when it will be certain heights and when it will reside.It only floods on saturdays. The water comes on strong from 8 pm saturday to 2 am sunday. Same every year. By noon sunday gone.Then cleanup starts. they warn us a week ahead the flood is coming on saturday. they have a week to let the water out slowly but no let it all go on Saturday evening and flood peoples homes and destroy crops  

I grew up in a semi desert that was fed water with irrigation because there was no natural water source. Water flow from dams can be controlled but it seems up here they do not know that. They could easily control the flow and stop flooding in out region but appear to chose not to care.

45 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I wish their water management would improve where we live. Up here when they need to release water because the dam is full. they just open the gates and let it all go at one time flooding many homes and farms. It would be nice if they learned how to open the gates and let the water come out a little slower and save the flooding.

When it floods here can set your clock to when it will be certain heights and when it will reside.It only floods on saturdays. The water comes on strong from 8 pm saturday to 2 am sunday. Same every year. By noon sunday gone.Then cleanup starts. they warn us a week ahead the flood is coming on saturday. they have a week to let the water out slowly but no let it all go on Saturday evening and flood peoples homes and destroy crops  

I grew up in a semi desert that was fed water with irrigation because there was no natural water source. Water flow from dams can be controlled but it seems up here they do not know that. They could easily control the flow and stop flooding in out region but appear to chose not to care.

Although you have Lom Sak in your name, it might be more helpful and informative if we knew which river and dam system you were referring to. The Pa Sak seems to meander through town, is that considered a river or a creek?

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You mean the Gulf of Thailand, right? As far as I am informed the Mekong enters the Gulf in Cambodia.

15 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

You mean the Gulf of Thailand, right? As far as I am informed the Mekong enters the Gulf in Cambodia.

Yes, as I corrected two posts after the one you just read!

"As the rainy season has arrived, the prime minister has asserted that measures have been prepared to combat the flooding that is often triggered by heavy rains. He says however, the amount of rainwater this year will be lower than in the previous year, so reservoirs both small and large should store as much water as possible, so that the country has sufficient for household consumption, agriculture, and industrial production throughout the year. "

How about returning Songkran back to what it should be, with the younger generation showing respect by pouring water over their elders' hands, instead of a free-for-all water fight producing carnage on the roads.  The reservoirs wouldn't be so empty in the first place; the rainy season would top them up with ease, allowing the farmers to make a better living.

37 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

"I am informed the Mekong enters the Gulf in Cambodia."

Then you are mis-informed. The Mekong enters the South China Sea through the Mekong Delta in Vietnam.

An official in a strategic position regarding water irrigation once told me:

"The moment the Chao Phraya holds much more water than usual during the annual rainy season, the provincial gov. order closing their gates in order to protect their land and industries so the water can't spread and all flows down to flood Bangkok."

Maybe the above mentioned free time Karaoke King should consider to rehearse two more songs for his radio performances: "Before the Deluge" by Jackson Browne and CCR's "Have you ever seen the rain".

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I like your explanation. From someone in the north we thank you for taking our surplus water. Could you now possibly reverse things and send some money our way for infrastructure improvements and a decent transportation system. Could never figure out the appeal of Bangkok living.  

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I like your explanation. From someone in the north we thank you for taking our surplus water. Could you now possibly reverse things and send some money our way for infrastructure improvements and a decent transportation system. Could never figure out the appeal of Bangkok living.  

I live in Chiang Mai.