And it's goodbye from Mobi…

Mobi

Hi Guys, 

Some of the more recent members may not know me, but I used to be very active on Thai Visa since I joined back in January 2006.

This time around I have been living in Thailand for 15 years – 2 in Bangkok and the past 13 in Pattaya.

I also have a previous incarnation dating back to the mid 70's when I lived and worked in Bangkok for around 8 years.

So you could say I am an "old Thailand hand", having spent more than a third of my 70 years on this earth in Thailand

During my previous 8 years of living in Bangkok, I experienced the highs and lows of existing on a very meagre salary, having three Thai wives (not at the same tine) and I learned what it was like to have to survive in a land so far from home with no money to buy my next meal.

My return to the UK in 1983 presaged a reversal in my fortunes and by the time I returned here in 2002, I was an early retired millionaire, with the world at my feet.

15 years, two more wives, and the great Australian pyramid style swindle known as LM has left me, at the age of 71, once again close to the bread line and unable to continue my life of dissipation in this somewhat tainted tropical paradise.

So on Friday this week, I will be heading off into the sunset to start a new life back in Blighty. My wife (number 6) and daughter will follow in about 6 months, once all the visa requirements have been satisfied. 

In all, it will cost me well over £6,000 in fees to get them into the UK and that's just the first step. And that doesn’t include the cost of English lessons and exam which are now part of the visa requirements.

So at 71, I'm embarking on a new adventure back in the heart of England, and in many ways, I'm feeling quite excited about it all, as well as experiencing a number of obvious apprehensions.

Sure, I'm sad to be leaving, but in many ways, it seems to be time to call 'time' on a country that was once a genuinely happy, cheap, safe, friendly paradise, and is now fast becoming the "Paradise from H..l."

Those of you who have followed my blog through the years will be familiar with my regular series of articles, which were entitled, "Tales from a Tainted Paradise" which were written with a liberal dose of 'tongue in cheek'. But as they say, many a true word…

There was a time, in the mid-noughties when I really thought that the LOS was starting to get its act together and was shedding off its skin as a "third World" country and was fast becoming a first world country. But that period has well and truly gone and there is little doubt that the country is slowly but surely slipping into some kind of limbo-abyss, while the neighbouring countries – Vietnam, Malaysia, Burma and even poor little Cambodia – are going in the opposite direction.

Thailand is no longer a great place for foreigners to live. We are often despised, cheated, robbed, raped and even killed with few or no repercussions.  These days, we farangs are all "fair game", and are pretty much defenceless in the face of a totally corrupt system that's skewed against us.

My, my - what a change from the early 1970s when so much love and respect was given to any foreigner – we could do no wrong. Now, we can do no right.

Believe me, this isn't sour grapes. If I had the money I had 15 years ago, I would still be going home – but I would ideally retain a nice little home here for holidaying during the depths of English winter.

As it is, my circumstances dictate that this will be a one-way ticket, and unless I win the lottery, or my novels suddenly start selling by the thousands, then this coming Friday will signal my permanent departure from Asia.

So many thanks to Thai Visa.

For all its faults – and there have been many – I have enjoyed being part of the TV forum community. Through Thai Visa, I have made some wonderful, lifelong friendships, I have enjoyed the cut and thrust of debate, and most of all, I have received some wonderful and invaluable help and advice through the years which have all helped to make life more tolerable. I hope I  have - in my own small way - repaid this by providing advice, help and information of my own to those seeking it, and I do hope the 'taking' and 'giving' has more or less evened itself out.

Farewell, my friends, may I wish you all good luck as "strangers in a strange land", and I sincerely hope that my pessimism on the future of Thailand proves to be misplaced.
There is nothing I would like better, as I have sown a lot of seeds here, and I still have a number of friends and extended family in this beautiful, bountiful country that sadly seems to have lost its way.

All the best folks,

Mobi

Edited by Mobi

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you all the best in the next stage of your life and would like to say I enjoyed reading your piece. It would be all too easy to be horribly bitter about some of the things that have been thrown in your path. It takes a good and strong man to come through them and emerge the other side with a sense of integrity intact.

I have been through the Thailand wringer a couple of times, so I know the downsides of being here.

It IS sad that Thailand is on its current path while the neighbours are moving in the right direction. One can only hope they will see the light in due course.

All the best to you too.

Darksidedog.

Good luck Mobi, there's no need to abandon us to our fate even if you're not actually in Thailand. The dramas (there will be) of integrating your good ladies into the UK are well worth sharing, others will be following.

As to LM, you are not alone, although I'm rather younger and still working so should be able to survive, but my original retirement plans are toast.

Hi Mobi

I wish you and your family all the very best back in the UK.

Like you, I have experienced a roller-coaster of financial and family success and failure - from sterling millionaire to 5 baht in my pocket, from happy family guy to cuckolded husband and broken marriage.

I gave up on wives after the third, so I congratulate you on achieving 6 wives, and especially your future happiness with your daughter.

I considered returning to the UK on several occasions, but my own circumstances would mean a rather bleak and unhappy future for me ==> too cold, too expensive etc.

Happily, as a single guy and in good health, I can go where I want and do what I want.  Last year, the corruption 'encouraged' me to leave Phuket after 17 years and I now live and work in Myanmar, (and am very happy indeed with my new employment).

For me, Thailand certainly has been both a Paradise and a Paradise from H*ll, and as you say, the country is IMHO, rapidly going in the wrong direction, whilst it's neighbours are moving fast in the correct and opposite direction.

Please let the forum know how you settle down in the UK. 

Simon

Very sad to see you go Mobi, I know it has been coming for a while and I know you how hard you have tried to survive here and done everything you can to stay, but I am sure in the end you will make a success of your new home, and who knows one day I may surprise you and turn up to visit you at your new home in the heart of England.

Good luck Mobi!

You only need a basic ability to extrapolate trends that are visible for  all to see to know that what you’re saying is sadly true.  

I often try to imagine how foreigners will be treated here if Thailand suffered the fallout of a serious crisis say in another part of Asia and whether foreigners could then be victimised. Things are changing rapidly and I think anyone who doesn’t have a contingency plan to do exactly what you’re doing are making a big mistake.

I read the other day that leftist leaders in South Africa have in recent  months threatened“ the slaughter of all whites, and the removal of all whites within five years,” :shock1:who would have even imagine that kind of talk in 1994 when Nelson Mandela took power?

incidentally I remember for many years you had a beautiful dog (  Golden retriever?) in your avatar. What happened to him /her?

Edited by midas

Same as you Mobi. I have 5 dogs and all depend on me for their life,imposs to re-home or I too would be gone,  with Brexit Spain does not look too bright either.

Good Luck Mobi

sounds like you are leaving due to finances and not thailand.

did the system here somehow swindle you? would like to hear about how.

or was it you, your vices or the thais you chose to associate with who did the deed?

living in pattaya 13 years i suspect the former.

not judging, im leaving soon as well. never really like thais much and getting away from them seems impossible. but its not them thats the problem, its me. i acknowledge that.

from the ever present guards, neighbors, moto taxi guys, massage ladies etc my life has become more about dealing with and avoiding them, then it is about me.

Edited by JimCrane

All the best Mobi.

Try and remember the good times in order to survive those bleak winters and high tax along with the political correctness and ever growing immigrants. 

I too enjoyed reading your post. 71, you're as old as the woman you feel ?

Warmest regards 

Norman 

I've not been on TV very often the last three-four years, which may be comment enough about the state of affairs here. But I do remember you Mobi for your sound and enjoyable contributions. And today, you wrote a great goodbye piece. I mean a compliment for the writing and heartfelt review.

It's always sad to hear about the low points. I've had a few but nothing as dramatic as yours or those of other contributors above. They do tend to drag you down though, no matter how many great times one has had. However,  there are fewer great times these days in the Thailand balance. To be honest, almost none, as long-term friends one by one leave "permanently" for their homelands or change countries. So I agree. To quote: "Thailand is no longer a great place for foreigners to live . . . etc".

I too am leaving and I won't be renewing my extension this summer because I have no plans to visit for more than a week or two. I, too, am going home. The last trip home to Canada was wonderful, following on from three previous trips home, each one better than the last.  But my return to Bangkok was different this time. I woke up thinking about my home city every day since I got back last month. That's never happened before in 13 years. I remember the friendly people, the cheap groceries, fantastic (and cheap craft) beer, the knowledgable store staff,  improving transit system, on and on. 

I'm off to Vietnam for a longish stay and then it's back to Canada next spring. Probably for good. So you won't be the only one heading for the exit. All the best. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I don't know you so I won't judge but if your on your 6 wife then maybe the problem is you and not them?

And if you are complaining how the very friendly Thai people treat us farang here... Then just wait until you see how the white Anglo saxons with their union jacks flying outside their semi detached houses, treat your Thai wife and daughter.

I'm not as old and wise as you and I've only been here in and out for 6 years, but it's easily in my top 5 countries to work and live. And I've been to over 40 countries.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A sad farewell to you Mobi.

Only hope what your letting yourself in for in the UK. I have just returned from an 7 week jaunt and I can tell you its the pits.

I know you know about the weather but that's the least of your problems once you get back.

The prices there are horrendous. Try 18+ pound in most restaurants for a main course extra if you want any veg.

I'll not go into fuel prices, council tax at bundles a week.

I saw the light many years ago. Moved out of Pattaya to where it's still Thailand, not just a place in Thailand. It's still a great place to live but you have to venture out of the tourist areas.

Best of luck.

9 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

I don't know you so I won't judge but if your on your 6 wife then maybe the problem is you and not them?

And if you are complaining how the very friendly Thai people treat us farang here... Then just wait until you see how the white Anglo saxons with their union jacks flying outside their semi detached houses, treat your Thai wife and daughter.

I'm not as old and wise as you and I've only been here in and out for 6 years, but it's easily in my top 5 countries to work and live. And I've been to over 40 countries.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep, 6 wifes in ONE lifetime is a bit much. Especially living in a country, where renting/leasing a wife is quite easy. But then, Elizabeth Taylor had 8 husbands.

Cheers.

Sorry, but i tend to agree with jubkhun.

Is it coincidence that these negative commentators have been through the Thailand marriage wringer some x times?

Regardless whether Thailand is going backwards, i would suggest anyone going back to marriage AGAIN after several disasters in Thailand is the one going backwards.

Do they ever learn? 

Buying houses,businesses all the while everything depending on the trust of Thai women.hmm

I cant help but think if you guys had followed..and what was sometimes even your own..advices,

you would have a very different outlook and positive life here.

No doubt you would most probably have ample money to see you through AND the freedom to visit home and spend time in both, rather than being forced to go back..

Its a shame but best of luck with your new life. Maybe you will have success where you can legally own businesses an property and have the luxury of 100% control of all of it

Btw what is this LM?

It's only to be expected that your farewell post be trolled as much as any other, eh. And so is underlined the loss of a rational, sincere, informative member of such long standing. Yet positive reports may have the salutary effect of offering hope of happiness, at last, to so many of our members in dire need of it. So please do let us know how you get on back there--and best wishes.

I have enjoyed reading your posts and blogs and, though I don't know you personally, I know you have had a very full life. Long may it continue for you and yours back in the UK. If you miss the sun too much, you are not far from Spain, Portugal and other warmer spots.

Good luck and best wishes. Champers.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

A sad farewell to you Mobi.

Only hope what your letting yourself in for in the UK. I have just returned from an 7 week jaunt and I can tell you its the pits.

I know you know about the weather but that's the least of your problems once you get back.

The prices there are horrendous. Try 18+ pound in most restaurants for a main course extra if you want any veg.

I'll not go into fuel prices, council tax at bundles a week.

I saw the light many years ago. Moved out of Pattaya to where it's still Thailand, not just a place in Thailand. It's still a great place to live but you have to venture out of the tourist areas.

Best of luck.

Well, I did venture out of Tourist Areas for 5 years. I even learned to speak basic Thai. I was rewarded with understanding the local gossip. Beyound that, was never capable of involving the "country folks" in a discussion surpassing local gossip. After 5 years of this, I realized "this can't be it".

Respects to Farangs that can tone down their intellect to this level for any extended period of time. Of course, in order to tone down something, you have to have it in the first place.
Cheers.

PS: Can understand why  you stopped your former daily news contributions, concerning "Central Thailand News".:smile: 

There are 2 ways to leave Thailand after an extended stay. Controlled, (after having read the writing on the wall) or uncontrolled (waiting till the last minute and then having to leave in a hurry).

- Controlled: Planning your exit step by step, knowing what exactly is ahead of you. Having burned all bridges in the home country before, may easily prove to be "the mistake of my life".

- Uncontrolled: Having ignored "the writing on the wall" (dwindling finances, souring relationships, failing health etc etc). Waiting for a miracle until the last minute.

"Nanny state" or not, without an initial "private-address" (relatives or friends), to take root again, = a nightmare scenario. "Lost Sons" returning from a tropical paradise will realize that nobody has been waiting for them, especially if their wallet is as thin as their future prospects in "the old country" upon their return.

On a personal note: Over the years, I have met a number of Farangs, cursing their "Nanny-State" like it was an invention of the devil himself. Finding themselves with a one way ticked back to their "nanny-state" at the airport, amazingly, their staunch opposition concerning their "nanny-state" seem to have vanished.
Cheers.

Good luck Mobi. Never met you but you are indeed a part of TV as far back as I can remember and will be missed. Keep us posted on your progress and settling in back in the UK. I for one would love to see what you have to say about your return.

PS what was the pyramid ponsy LM scheme?

1 hour ago, swissie said:

There are 2 ways to leave Thailand after an extended stay. Controlled, (after having read the writing on the wall) or uncontrolled (waiting till the last minute and then having to leave in a hurry).

- Controlled: Planning your exit step by step, knowing what exactly is ahead of you. Having burned all bridges in the home country before, may easily prove to be "the mistake of my life".

- Uncontrolled: Having ignored "the writing on the wall" (dwindling finances, souring relationships, failing health etc etc). Waiting for a miracle until the last minute.

"Nanny state" or not, without an initial "private-address" (relatives or friends), to take root again, = a nightmare scenario. "Lost Sons" returning from a tropical paradise will realize that nobody has been waiting for them, especially if their wallet is as thin as their future prospects in "the old country" upon their return.

On a personal note: Over the years, I have met a number of Farangs, cursing their "Nanny-State" like it was an invention of the devil himself. Finding themselves with a one way ticked back to their "nanny-state" at the airport, amazingly, their staunch opposition concerning their "nanny-state" seem to have vanished.
Cheers.

all very dramatic, 
but you forget a very simple solution:

Return home occasionally.
< but to some this is at a fate worse than death> 

-Keep up with family connection.
-Look for short term work when back.
-keep an address valid with gov, taxes update, voting all going so they dont cut you off.
-stay at least a few months every year or 2.

Many guys come here in mid life with small funds or small income thinking they can make it in this cheaper economy.

Truth is, they probably could survive IF alone, but they soon get married or have an live in gf.

Understandable to want this but suddenly they realise the costs skyrocket as it not only you and wife but a whole swag of family freeloaders your expected to "help"

Mistake 2: cant say no to the
 mrs.
Next your buying houses on land you cant own, cars, bikes going on expensive holidays.

All of which you get nothing back in the end. 

This leads to the biggest mistake of all:

because your income cant keep this going you forced into thinking you need to buy some business to make money.

Some even buy a business just to get visa. Nuts.

So thats the start of the downhill climb.

Some make it for a while but then go silly..they want 2 or 3 houses bars hotels whatever. another Big mistake

For me, I follow advices given long time ago and have no trouble after 10 years.

-Stay single is twice as much fun and half the cost in the long-run.

-Dont loose touch with home. A break away at least can clear your mind to see the idiot decisions being made.

But of course many guys blame Thailand for their own predictament, say its going to the dogs ect.

I dont see how this Thailand "going backwards" or loosing its way or whatever perception you read here is somehow make life unbearable for farangs.

Make the good decision and control your own destiny and living in Thailand is simple.

1 hour ago, maprao said:

Good luck Mobi. Never met you but you are indeed a part of TV as far back as I can remember and will be missed. Keep us posted on your progress and settling in back in the UK. I for one would love to see what you have to say about your return.

PS what was the pyramid ponsy LM scheme?

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1558078/when-investment-fund-goes-bad

Best of luck Mobi. Fully agreed on your points about Thailand. Many of my friends are leaving and I hope I find myself a better place where I feel welcome and enjoy the culture very soon, too. Can't comment on wives, never had one ?. Take it easy and all the best. MS>