And it's goodbye from Mobi…

Mobi

The issue is not that the good old days were better- it's that people generally were better and they were mostly moral and believed in right and wrong. As far as prejudices- I would say people are more prejudiced and racist today than ever before. The difference being that there are now laws in the West to protect people- but you have to fight in the courts to get relief. In the past, there were prejudices but most people had the attitude of live and let live.

Youth today in most countries including Thailand have few role models; have been let down by clergy and governments; and have little moral compass. Life was much different 40 years ago and most people were not chasing the money god- they were satisfied with a job and a decent salary and they were not cheated by greedy business and a greedy government seeking more and more tax dollars for support of a bloated bureaucracy. If you accept this as progress- up to you; however,  in my opinion- it is a continual degeneration of the human existence.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say you are going "home." Are you referring to the place you grew up or the place you lived a lot of your adult life? Are you only referring to your country of origin? 

If I decided to ever return home there would be no home to return to. I would never live in the town that I grew up and worked in. Many negative changes there and too expensive. If I wanted to return to my home country it would be to a different state entirely. So no "home" for me. Home is now wherever I am. 

All the best to you and your journey. 

Good luck Mobi , I'm only just over a year in LOS but 22 years outside of the uk.
I could handle the summers but the winters would be difficult back in Blighty , let us know how you get on .
Thanks for your honest post of the trials and tribulations you suffered here and I'm guessing there were some very happy times too [emoji4]

All the best on your new venture .

7 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The issue is not that the good old days were better- it's that people generally were better and they were mostly moral and believed in right and wrong.

I moved to Thailand in 1989 and the foreigners were a bunch of criminals on the run and lunatics. IMO, that situation has done nothing but improve. It was more fun back then and more of an adventure everyday - the bar scene was cheap and much wilder than now - but there have been lots of improvements too. We did get more respect from Thais back then and got away with a lot more, but many of us did not deserve it. :whistling:

Mobi

Good luck with your future. I hope all goes the way you hope, and  you and your wife have a serene time.

Your move reduces my reasons to visit Thailand.

You are a gentleman in all senses of the word. 

Take care.

9 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

LOL... Yeah... There's absolutely no racism in UK because you've not experienced it.

I don't know what you mean by the what sort of person I am comment... I'm just lucky enough to have been placed by my company and traveled to 42 countries so far in my notepad. Thailand is easily one of the friendliest and one of my favorite places to live. Things are cheap and the weather is great and people generally very nice and friendly if you don't have a white man's entitlement attitude and expect everything to be like back home and you only meet people like yourself rather than mix with the locals.

It's just hilarious listening to old people complain that things are not like the good old days. The good old days when gays and lesbians and blacks were not tolerated, when women were expected to stay at home and raise the kids and cook, when you had to queue up at the bank or post office to get simple every day things done that you can now do on your phone. The funny thing is, if people are leaving Thailand, it's usually not by choice.

Dont twist words with me and tell me what my life is
. I never said there was no racism in uk but your post suggested it was the norm rather than the exception . Far more racism in thailand even for my wife who is dark skinned and definately more racism against farangs than english against thais in uk.
  Not met any farangs with white mans attitude, that`s bs .Nobody who comes to thai expects it to be like home so more bs .Weather is ok , people are friendly but its no longer cheap to live here but cheap for holiday.
Probably unlike many i have never been to a farang bar or restaurent , never been to pattaya or phuket . Never paid a prostitute for sex . I live in a village north of udon thani for 10 yrs . I do not like 99% of farangs who come to thai so have never had a farang friend.
Again you think its funny when old people complain ? why? do you not think its funny if young people complain ? Strange idea. when have i complained . I love living here but do not pretend it is utopia to justify my staying here .
 Thailand is a fantastic place to live for retiring with limited means  ro for sex with young girlsbut now the cost of living has probably gone up by 200-300% in the 10 yrs i been here its no longer so attractive and if i did not have 2 adopted kids to look after i would probably leave as mobi and many others are now doing

Edited by dazzz
mistake

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The issue is not that the good old days were better- it's that people generally were better and they were mostly moral and believed in right and wrong. As far as prejudices- I would say people are more prejudiced and racist today than ever before. The difference being that there are now laws in the West to protect people- but you have to fight in the courts to get relief. In the past, there were prejudices but most people had the attitude of live and let live.

Youth today in most countries including Thailand have few role models; have been let down by clergy and governments; and have little moral compass. Life was much different 40 years ago and most people were not chasing the money god- they were satisfied with a job and a decent salary and they were not cheated by greedy business and a greedy government seeking more and more tax dollars for support of a bloated bureaucracy. If you accept this as progress- up to you; however,  in my opinion- it is a continual degeneration of the human existence.

You nailed it, and beat me to it too.

When I was a lad I could go out all day without any fear of "pedos" and all the other bogeymen of today. Now kids are kept in out of fear and get obese because the only exercise they get is their finger as they text all their imaginary friends.

All the school games we played are banned now because no harm is ever allowed to befall any of the little princes and princesses. Unfortunately, when they go into the real world, they don't have mummy to hold their hand any more, and become rude aggressive people- we have all encountered their like. IMO most young people are completely self centered and ignorant.

So to say that life is better now because homosexuals et al are protected by law is a nonsense. 

Money has indeed become the "god" of most. Flash car and house is overly important, even if in debt up to the eyeballs.

Sadly, I have to say that Pattaya has been overtaken by greed. Back in the 90s it was a cheap and cheerful place to have fun. Now it's all about style over substance and money, and the smile left town long ago.

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

Mobi

Good luck with your future. I hope all goes the way you hope, and  you and your wife have a serene time.

Your move reduces my reasons to visit Thailand.

You are a gentleman in all senses of the word. 

Take care.

You don't say if you have visited Thailand before, but to not visit because of a thread about Pattaya would be a shame. Thailand outside the cities is a wonder to visit and I hope most get the chance to do so. Up north is amazing, and none of the tourist BS outside Chiang Mai.

14 hours ago, Nip said:

Good luck Mobi. I too very recently abandoned Thailand and returned home. I had all the same concerns and annoyances  but am delighted after 16 years to have abandoned the sinking ship and reentered the real world. Thailand has slaughtered the Golden Goose. The party is over. Time to go home or elsewhere.

Good luck to you, but I doubt that the grass is greener elsewhere.

IMO the entire world is stuffed. Not enough time in the day to write down all the reasons I think so, but most already know of what I speak.

As I read once, the past is a different country, but for sure, while it was better in some ways it was worse in others. On balance though, I'd prefer life 50 years ago, before mammon became the god of mankind and we overpopulated ourselves on the path to destruction.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

I think you must be dealing with some fairly low-socio Thais. My Thai is hardly fluent, but I can get into philosophical and historical conversations with several Thai friends--part of it may be Thaiglish; so I do not feel local gossip is all Thais can discuss.

LOL. I don't deal with low socio economic farangs back home, but trying to have a philosophical and historical conversation with any of them is no easier that finding hen's teeth. People not in politics these days seem not interested in such conversations. Perhaps because they feel so powerless against the system that they want to pretend it doesn't exist.

I wouldn't get into any such conversations in LOS anyway, as it is way too easy to get into serious doodoo for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time with the wrong people to do so.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't say if you have visited Thailand before, but to not visit because of a thread about Pattaya would be a shame. Thailand outside the cities is a wonder to visit and I hope most get the chance to do so. Up north is amazing, and none of the tourist BS outside Chiang Mai.

I lived down the road from Mobi and wife 5 for a couple of years. Keep your assumptions to yourself.

i am ashamed to say i have just read your op.its been there since monday.

so good luck MOBI ,we never got the chance to compare our scars we have on our chest mine is what every man wants 12inches.

i think i might have the edge over you as i got 2,the tuther 10in.

so good luck once again and keep intouch,you are never far away on TV. just 6-7 hrs.time difference.

MEATBOY,MRS.MEAT AND SAM.

The changes in Thailand stem from the length of time that you have experienced Thailand, many of us on TV have been here for a very long time and therefore notice the changes, somebody coming for the first time now, would not know any better and may think it is great, at least for a while, there are some really good points and there are some really bad ones, most people do quickly get bored with the bar scene that involves girls, take that away and it becomes like any other country, just with the annoyances of Thainess etc. which in all honesty can be extremely annoying and is actively encouraged by the folks in power.

The Thai system, like many in Third World Countries, does not want to educate the masses, why would they, that would mean that the masses might start questioning that very system that allows the rich to get richer and literally get away with whatever they like.

I strongly dispute that Thailand is a cheap country to live in by any means, in fact, if you have a normal life with children etc. it can be a very expensive place to live compared to say England, expensive school fees, healthcare costs or insurance, cars are silly expensive even secondhand, the children grow up then the university fees start and so on. Work here and the income taxes are not low and gain you nought!

It is a country that market forces seems to have overlooked!!

Totally agree with the comment about Smartphones, drives me nuts as they walk around not looking where they are going, cannot even begin to imagine what is so important on Facebook, Line etc. that means that they MUST look at it every waking minute.

At the end of the day Thailand is what you make it and Mobi has now decided, like a lot of others, that it is time to move on and go back home, remembering that Mobi and others, including myself, came here when we were relatively young and made it our home at that time.

I wish him the best of luck and I'm sure that it will all work out.

16 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The changes in Thailand stem from the length of time that you have experienced Thailand, many of us on TV have been here for a very long time and therefore notice the changes, somebody coming for the first time now, would not know any better and may think it is great, at least for a while, there are some really good points and there are some really bad ones.

I'm sure people will look back on 2017 and remark "now those were the best of times!"

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly... so much of the negative comment on the changes in Thailand center on the changes in Pataya & Phuket...and the other tourist hot spots...  yes.. the rest of the country is undergoing rapid change as well  .. but up north life for a retired person is still good.. property is not so expensive and the people are friendly. With cheap air travel Bangkok is only an hour away..  and most big towns have good supermarkets these days... food is still cheap in the local markets too..  The climate is better too.. not a humid as Bangkok nor quite as much rain..  Traffic in major centers like Khon Kaen is getting worse but nowhere near as bad a Pataya, Bangkok & Phuket..  I can't speak for Chiang Mai as I haven't lived there... but apart from the smoke in the burning off season I've enjoyed my visits there..

52 minutes ago, stravers said:

I'm sure people will look back on 2017 and remark "now those were the best of times!"

28 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Without a doubt!

I can see that relative point of view being common when looking back after China owns/takes over all of Southeast Asia. But that's another topic. 

On topic: When I said goodbye to the last GF in mid-2015, I experienced an incredible feeling of relief and freedom. I thought I could go anywhere, live anywhere. I visited Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Saigon, Vung Tau (many times), returned to Pattaya a couple of times. I considered Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ubon, Udon, etc. I even joined a couple of Lao FB expat pages but the visa situation was dire, as was medical care and prices were going up there too. But I did not see anywhere that I "dreamed" of going and living.

Bangkok has become unconscionably expensive in nearly every way, but PP and Saigon were going that way too, even the rents. It's not all about cost. By the way, I retired 7 years ago and have a very decent pension. After 13 years in this part of the world, everything looked flat. I studied the possibilities of Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Colombia, and so on. Eastern Europe looks very nice these days.

All I know is, Thailand has lost the plot. I'll second others' views that the fun has gone and has been so for a good 6-7 years. Just so you know, I don't go to go go bars and beer bars or clubs anymore. Almost five years now. I also live a very active life, on top of making my own food, doing my own cleaning and laundry, etc. 

All this to say that I agree that there’s no greener grass these days. Except, during these last two years, I was getting to like the home city more and more with each return visit. So that is where I will land next spring. Because everything works. The only challenge is apartment rent (since I sold my condo years ago). But I hit the magic 65 year next spring and get another pension. So this should work. As a trial. 

PS Mods: There seem to be almost no blockheads on this thread. If it’s due to the mods, well done!

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

59 minutes ago, stravers said:

I'm sure they will, but I'm also sure they would be wrong.

----

As for the topic, sounds like the op is leaving due to losing his savings via his own bad decision making, high risk investments etc ...but looking to spin it as Thailand's fault somehow.

Edited by onthesoi

12 hours ago, Goldbear said:

You say you are going "home." Are you referring to the place you grew up or the place you lived a lot of your adult life? Are you only referring to your country of origin? 

If I decided to ever return home there would be no home to return to. I would never live in the town that I grew up and worked in. Many negative changes there and too expensive. If I wanted to return to my home country it would be to a different state entirely. So no "home" for me. Home is now wherever I am. 

All the best to you and your journey. 

Home is England.

I don't really have a hometown - having moved around quite a bit. Initially, I will be going to Oakham, in Rutland, where my youngest daughter lives and teaches at the public school there.

Later? Who knows?

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I don't deal with low socio economic farangs back home, but trying to have a philosophical and historical conversation with any of them is no easier that finding hen's teeth. People not in politics these days seem not interested in such conversations. Perhaps because they feel so powerless against the system that they want to pretend it doesn't exist.

I wouldn't get into any such conversations in LOS anyway, as it is way too easy to get into serious doodoo for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time with the wrong people to do so.

I wasn't discussing you and certainly wasn't discussing farangs. See the post to which my comment was appended.  I think you are a bit pessimistic. I find Thais are willing, if not enthusiastic, about discussing philosophy and history. So, once again, I have to conclude you too are hanging around too many low-socio Thais.

17 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I'm sure they will, but I'm also sure they would be wrong.

----

As for the topic, sounds like the op is leaving due to losing his savings via his own bad decision making, high risk investments etc ...but looking to spin it as Thailand's fault somehow.

Not so sure that would be wrong in the true sense of the word, for me, the late Eighties, early Nineties were the good times, for others it will be a different period, depends on what it is at the time that you need / want, it is all relative. A 27 year old coming now has different needs then a 60 year old!!

I think Mobi is leaving due to a combination of things, not just due to losing money, I get the feeling that he would have gone back even if the money was plentiful, there does come a point where 'paradise' no longer feels like paradise!

51 minutes ago, Mobi said:

Home is England.

I don't really have a hometown - having moved around quite a bit. Initially, I will be going to Oakham, in Rutland, where my youngest daughter lives and teaches at the public school there.

Later? Who knows?

OAKHAM now i want to come with you,i dont have my rods anymore but the wife would definately buy me new ones just to get me out of the house.my beloved dog would love the walks round rutland water,i can just picture him sat in the boat with me drifting up the north arm.

taff.

50 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I get the feeling that he would have gone back even if the money was plentiful, there does come a point where 'paradise' no longer feels like paradise!

We could speculate 'what if' till the cows come ...but the fact he is returning to blighty to live off the state after losing a shit ton of money.

After all, there are plenty of other developing countries he could go to live, if Thailand was indeed the root of the issue...

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

The changes in Thailand stem from the length of time that you have experienced Thailand, many of us on TV have been here for a very long time and therefore notice the changes, somebody coming for the first time now, would not know any better and may think it is great, at least for a while, there are some really good points and there are some really bad ones, most people do quickly get bored with the bar scene that involves girls, take that away and it becomes like any other country, just with the annoyances of Thainess etc. which in all honesty can be extremely annoying and is actively encouraged by the folks in power.

The Thai system, like many in Third World Countries, does not want to educate the masses, why would they, that would mean that the masses might start questioning that very system that allows the rich to get richer and literally get away with whatever they like.

I strongly dispute that Thailand is a cheap country to live in by any means, in fact, if you have a normal life with children etc. it can be a very expensive place to live compared to say England, expensive school fees, healthcare costs or insurance, cars are silly expensive even secondhand, the children grow up then the university fees start and so on. Work here and the income taxes are not low and gain you nought!

It is a country that market forces seems to have overlooked!!

Totally agree with the comment about Smartphones, drives me nuts as they walk around not looking where they are going, cannot even begin to imagine what is so important on Facebook, Line etc. that means that they MUST look at it every waking minute.

At the end of the day Thailand is what you make it and Mobi has now decided, like a lot of others, that it is time to move on and go back home, remembering that Mobi and others, including myself, came here when we were relatively young and made it our home at that time.

I wish him the best of luck and I'm sure that it will all work out.

Best post of the day . A lot of farangs (living here)think its cheap because their money goes further but the bare fact is they have nothing to pay for . No sewage , no clean water, no council tax ,no fire brigade , no proper street lighting , no proper roads ,no  bbc licence fee , no rubbish collection , no household insurance , for me a massive difference no car tax , mot etc , no heating bills . If i did not have to pay for all that uk would be a lot cheaper than thailand .
 For thais its even worse .You cannot say how cheap a country is by how much money you have but the spending power of the people .In uk minimum wage  about 3000 baht a day . Thailand 300 baht a day . Beer uk 50 baht same as thailand  . One days wage uk 60 beers , thai 6 beers . Tv uk same as thai 10,000 baht. work for 4 days to buy a tv in uk work for a month to buy a tv in thai .

My moibile in thailand 13,000 baht ,in uk 7000 baht . My camera in thai 12,000baht in uk 8,000.
 It is not cheap it has to be one of the most expensive places in the world for the local population

With that background, Mobi, sounds like you have at least one best-selling blockbuster novel up your sleeve. So get scribbling - and good luck with your challenging new life back in Blighty. 

The more you know about Thailand, the less you want to know,Isolated in splendid isolation. Money grabbers all over, so so convincing, like a game really keeping them at bay

next door neighbour, just packed up and left, left house wife car, everything, most farangs have around me too, houses empty up for sale etc