British mum: My son was left for dead in Thailand... now I just want him home

webfact

22 hours ago, happyas said:

There are hundreds of foreigners killed on bikes here every year.

And there are millions of foreigners not killed on bikes here every year.

Hundreds killed but thousands injured. It's your life. Up to you na.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why should anyone take notice of you saying don't ride or take motorbikes in Thailand? I have had a full bike licence for 54 years now and have ridden bikes in a few countries.

I, like many other bikers actually ENJOY riding my motorbike and yes I do take care when I ride.

The one accident I had 3 years ago would have happened if I was on my bike or in the pickup truck. I got T boned at a set of traffic lights by a red light runner.

Nothing to do with a bike, car or pickup at all, just a stupid driver who ran a red light.

You are an experienced motorcyclist so you are probably an exception. How many foreigners come here on holiday or to live and ride motorbikes for the first time? My point is that cars are just as easy to rent or buy. So why take the risk. I hardly imagine that riding motorbikes in this climate and with the traffic, pollution etc is enjoyable. Maybe it is for some so good luck to them..

23 hours ago, claffey said:

You are an experienced motorcyclist so you are probably an exception. How many foreigners come here on holiday or to live and ride motorbikes for the first time? My point is that cars are just as easy to rent or buy. So why take the risk. I hardly imagine that riding motorbikes in this climate and with the traffic, pollution etc is enjoyable. Maybe it is for some so good luck to them..

Riding motorbikes here is enjoyable.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Riding motorbikes here is enjoyable.

And most of the time it is good fun too.

At least there is no ice on the roads and even the rain isn't too cold.

The worst bits for me are being stuck at the traffic lights for 5 minutes or so in the heat of the summer.

On 2017-5-10 at 6:18 AM, darksidedog said:

I also ask what about the 72 hours free treatment policy Thai hospitals are supposed to have?

The hospital has denied, in no uncertain terms, that they refused to treat him. Here is an excerpt from their statement: 

Two medical teams led by neurosurgeon Dr Lersak Leenanithikul and orthopaedic surgeon Dr Supachai Panpichet treated Tonkin. As his brain injury was deemed to not require surgery, Tonkin underwent a one hour, 20 minute operation on his leg that night, Dhun said.

During admission, Tonkin, who was conscious, told hospital staff that he had a travel insurance so they contacted the firm which then notified them that they wouldn’t provide protection for unknown reason.

Hospital staff then called his relatives while still treating him, in accordance with Joint Commission International (JCI) standards and the hospital’s policy to prioritise patient safety, Dhun said, insisting that the doctors did not refuse to treat him.

Archived