British mum: My son was left for dead in Thailand... now I just want him home

webfact

50 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You can disagree all you like, you're wrong. I used to write insurance policies in a former life :)

Not wrong as i have it in black and white direct from the insurance company.

Which is 1 of the biggest in Europe.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Not wrong as i have it in black and white direct from the insurance company.

Which is 1 of the biggest in Europe.

Sorry you don't understand the difference between 'my experience' and 'general statement' and 'general conditions' and 'optional coverage'.

See the post before yours, it seems that even this insurance does not generally exclude motorbike coverage, and the experiences and policies of many others here on board.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sorry you don't understand the difference between 'my experience' and 'general statement' and 'general conditions' and 'optional coverage'.

See the post before yours, it seems that even this insurance does not generally exclude motorbike coverage, and the experiences and policies of many others here on board.

Sorry but i am not interested in your experience, only what is in black and white from insurance companies.

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sorry but i am not interested in your experience, only what is in black and white from insurance companies.

I give up, you're spreading misinformation and are refusing to correct, even after many people pointed it out to you.

25 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You should say "from one insurance company". 

They all have different wordings.

9 minutes ago, madmitch said:

You should say "from one insurance company". 

They all have different wordings.

I would even go further 'from one insurance company on one specific policy'.

But I think by now it is clear, we should get back on topic.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Greed or desperation?  It could take months to liquidate enough assets to repatriate an injured party- if ever.  

By which time the kid could be dead if he's not getting treated appropriately (if at all) because the hospital wants payment guaranteed before they do anything beyond appearing to be trying to keep him breathing.  And that doesn't even start to consider the long term prospects if he needs reconstructive surgery before things start mending crooked.  Any delay could be catastrophic.

Ok; let's say it takes months. But in reality, it doesn't. But let's say that it does take months. Do you think she would then reimburse all those strangers that donated? I am prepared to wager 'No'. 

On 2017-5-11 at 10:18 AM, colinneil said:

It seems you're looking at one specific policy from one company and then trying to claim that all policies from all companies are the same. As was stated in an earlier post: 

... there is no consistency in the wordings. You do need to read the policies. Some cover motorcycling others don't. Some will include in a wording that a helmet must be worn, others don't.

And, as has also been alluded to, some insurers refuse to cover those travelling on a motorcycle over 125cc, while others do - though they may charge an additional premium for this option.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

.  some insurers refuse to cover those travelling on a motorcycle over 125cc, while others do - though they may charge an additional premium for this option.

Exactly my point, some companies will not insure motorbike riding, others do with additional premiums.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Your first post #5 said "as we all know travel insurance does not cover riding motorbikes"

I'm glad you have finally changed your mind.

Not changed my mind, travel insurance does not cover motorbike riding, pay extra premium with some companies.

Exactly pay extra to get cover.

Not changed my mind, travel insurance does not cover motorbike riding, pay extra premium with some companies.

Incorrect, my insurance cover the last many years, it's no extra for bike cover. £89 for 6 months. Its only extra if over 125cc. Only the real cheapy bargain bucket ones exclude motorbikes.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why are you arguing stupidly in this matter??

It's clear that his policy includes motorbikes 125cc and under. Even their most basic policy does so.

Just move on....

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Why are you arguing stupidly in this matter??

It's clear that his policy includes motorbikes 125cc and under. Even their most basic policy does so.

Just move on....

Guys ...  it don't matter ....   maybe his policy covered motorbikes , however it apparently only covers one motorbike accident ....  and he had one three weeks ago so it will not cover this one.

At the end of the day each policy will be different,  it will be written in black and white what is covered and what is not.

Guys ...  it don't matter ....   maybe his policy covered motorbikes , however it apparently only covers one motorbike accident ....  and he had one three weeks ago so it will not cover this one.

At the end of the day each policy will be different,  it will be written in black and white what is covered and what is not.

I've never seen only covering one accident in the small print.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

sorry, I read something about he had claimed an accident recently ...  I'm still looking unless I dreamt it ... lol. 

Post #22  Braveheart.

This lad's insurance must cover motorbikes, as they have already paid him out once for a motorbike accident. Maybe it has something to do with the status of the rider ( the lad in hospital was a passenger), possibly unlicenced? 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Post #7 by Darksidedog on a previous headline on the same subject ..

Two accidents in 3 weeks is very bad luck, though this one can't be blamed on him, regardless of how the first one happened.

My point however was that a bike is the sole means of transport for a vast number of the population. Whether a local or a tourist. this is how people get around here.

The travel insurance was for a trip to Thailand and the insurance company must have been aware of this.

Hmm.  The insurance company declines to pay up upon the grounds of recklessness.

But here's the thing, in a court of law, recklessness is determined by a jury.

And when thinking upon their verdict, the jury is directed by the judge to compare the behavior of the (accused/defendant) with that of a "reasonable person".  But, importantly, a reasonable person in exactly the same circumstances as the (accused/defendant).

So in this case, the question that the judge would ask the jury to consider is would a reasonable Thai person in Phuket, with a plaster cast on his arm, ride on the back of a friend's motorbike.  The answer is yes, of course they would, and they would not give it a moment's thought.  

Moreover, there are no other affordable transport options on death island.  Jake, as part of your first claim, did your insurance company pay for you to use daily taxis to commute around Phuket until your plaster came off....Yeah....didn't think so...

So the insurance company accepted a premium payment to insure this young man in Thailand, however when he sought to make a claim they refused to pay up based on a western version of recklessness.

Young man, if you are reading this, make sure you check if there are any time limits on contesting the decision of your insurance company.  As soon as you are well enough you should contact the Insurance Ombudsman back in the UK and make a formal complaint against your insurance company.  You may also engage a lawyer on a no win-no fee basis to pursue your claim.

The Ombudsman, or a court of law, needs to determine whether or not you were reckless, not the insurance company.

PM me if you need further assistance.

Post #7 by Darksidedog on a previous headline on the same subject ..
Two accidents in 3 weeks is very bad luck, though this one can't be blamed on him, regardless of how the first one happened.
My point however was that a bike is the sole means of transport for a vast number of the population. Whether a local or a tourist. this is how people get around here.
The travel insurance was for a trip to Thailand and the insurance company must have been aware of this.

I agree, the insurance company is just trying to duck the cost

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

sorry, I read something about he had claimed an accident recently ...  I'm still looking unless I dreamt it ... lol. 

Post #22  Braveheart.

This lad's insurance must cover motorbikes, as they have already paid him out once for a motorbike accident. Maybe it has something to do with the status of the rider ( the lad in hospital was a passenger), possibly unlicenced? 

Correct it was in the full story in the original link.

Another westerner was killed today driving a big bike from Phetchabun to Pattaya. I said it before and I'll say it again. DO NOT ride motorbikes or take motorbikes in Thailand. Just rent/ buy a car or take a taxi. Its common sense really. There are hundreds of foreigners killed on bikes here every year. Its not worth the risk...

34 minutes ago, claffey said:

Another westerner was killed today driving a big bike from Phetchabun to Pattaya. I said it before and I'll say it again. DO NOT ride motorbikes or take motorbikes in Thailand. Just rent/ buy a car or take a taxi. Its common sense really. There are hundreds of foreigners killed on bikes here every year. Its not worth the risk...

There are hundreds of foreigners killed on bikes here every year.

And there are millions of foreigners not killed on bikes here every year.

46 minutes ago, claffey said:

Why should anyone take notice of you saying don't ride or take motorbikes in Thailand? I have had a full bike licence for 54 years now and have ridden bikes in a few countries.

I, like many other bikers actually ENJOY riding my motorbike and yes I do take care when I ride.

The one accident I had 3 years ago would have happened if I was on my bike or in the pickup truck. I got T boned at a set of traffic lights by a red light runner.

Nothing to do with a bike, car or pickup at all, just a stupid driver who ran a red light.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why should anyone take notice of you saying don't ride or take motorbikes in Thailand? I have had a full bike licence for 54 years now and have ridden bikes in a few countries.

I, like many other bikers actually ENJOY riding my motorbike and yes I do take care when I ride.

The one accident I had 3 years ago would have happened if I was on my bike or in the pickup truck. I got T boned at a set of traffic lights by a red light runner.

Nothing to do with a bike, car or pickup at all, just a stupid driver who ran a red light.

I also ride a bike here, and prefer it over the car for several reasons.

But in the case of your accident, it would have happened no matter what you were driving, but you would have been more protected in a car or pickup.

On 10. 5. 2017 at 6:18 AM, darksidedog said:

How if you are a pillion passenger and you are knocked off by a hit and run driver on the wrong side of the road, can it be your fault?

Insurance company showing once again what scumbags they can be. Take your money and then leave you high and dry. I hope they are publicly shamed and boycotted for this. Good luck to the family and I hope the guy recovers.

I also ask what about the 72 hours free treatment policy Thai hospitals are supposed to have?

You don't know full story.

What if driver didn't have driving ID (it's like 90% chance he didn't)? There could be some clausule about this (your own stupidity)... . Or insurance didn't cover something he needs now. Or something else.... . I don't think that insurance company refuse any claim just because they are pure evil.

Of course I don't know full story too.

You don't know full story.

What if driver didn't have driving ID (it's like 90% chance he didn't)? There could be some clausule about this (your own stupidity)... . Or insurance didn't cover something he needs now. Or something else.... . I don't think that insurance company refuse any claim just because they are pure evil.

Of course I don't know full story too.

The full story is further up the thread. Apparently the pillion was considered as reckless by the insurance company for getting on a bike after already having a recent accident + broken/fractured arm

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I also ride a bike here, and prefer it over the car for several reasons.

But in the case of your accident, it would have happened no matter what you were driving, but you would have been more protected in a car or pickup.

I would have been more protected in an armoured vehicle too but the accident would still have happened. Equally I would have been probably seriously injured if I was walking across the road.

Does that mean the only way to survivve in Thailand is to drive around in an armoured vehicle?

People get killed and injured every day in every country in the world.

To get back on topic it is about the insurance that the guy had or didn't have and the small print that he may or may not have read.

Archived