British mum: My son was left for dead in Thailand... now I just want him home

webfact

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

How if you are a pillion passenger and you are knocked off by a hit and run driver on the wrong side of the road, can it be your fault?

Insurance company showing once again what scumbags they can be. Take your money and then leave you high and dry. I hope they are publicly shamed and boycotted for this. Good luck to the family and I hope the guy recovers.

I also ask what about the 72 hours free treatment policy Thai hospitals are supposed to have?

Plenty of insurance companies exclude injury while riding a m/c.

All the rest exclude injuries while not wearing a helmet.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tomwct said:

Can you buy Travel Insurance for two plus years? I have problems buying my wife anything over 90 days.

I hope is family can get him home for medical care, but when your on motorcycles anything can happen.

I wondered the same thing.  Normally, 90 days is the maximum on any one policy, but there may be some special ones for long term travellers like back-packers.  

Perhaps this chap renewed his policy, (or bought a new one,) every 3 months, but I have to wonder if he was actually covered - had his policy lapsed, maybe, which is why the hospital are being difficult?

Not every distressed mother has all the facts at her fingertips.

42 minutes ago, sekmet said:

Which insurance company?

Read the linked article, which should scare the crap out of a lot of people when they read about the hospital's refusal to treat the guy until they were guaranteed payment, and the (named and shamed) insurance company's refusal to do anything until they spoke to the guy, who was (still is?) unconscious.

And to all you guys who claim you're covered while riding a scooter, you don't really know until you make the claim.

The conflicting posts regarding what is and isn't covered under a travel insurance policy prove one thing: there is no consistency in the wordings. You do need to read the policies. Some cover motorcycling others don't. Some will include in a wording that a helmet must be worn, others don't. I have no idea what the victim in this case has on his policy wording but to state that he is not covered as a result of "reckless driving" is quite obviously wrong. The insurance company itself will probably be using Thai-based representatives to handle this case and they may have made this decision on their behalf. I don't know all the facts, I haven't read the wording so it's difficult to comment further, however if I were the mother I'd possibly try to find a lawyer who would fight the insurers on a no win no fee basis if there is any ambiguity at all in the policy wording, though this would have to happen well after the victim has returned to England.

It's also concerning for Thailand's image (again) that two bike accidents in Phuket involving trucks have made the British press in the past few days. Of course nothing will change. Accidents are part of the road scenery here.

I wish the victim and his family the best of luck in both securing his return home and achieving an insurance payout and let's hope he makes a full recovery

How if you are a pillion passenger and you are knocked off by a hit and run driver on the wrong side of the road, can it be your fault?
Insurance company showing once again what scumbags they can be. Take your money and then leave you high and dry. I hope they are publicly shamed and boycotted for this. Good luck to the family and I hope the guy recovers.
I also ask what about the 72 hours free treatment policy Thai hospitals are supposed to have?

Insurance agents are given bonuses the more claims they deny. Insurance companies main objective is to pay out as few claims as possible. They are not there to protect you.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

BUPA Policy you are talking about is a annual health Insurance Policy. I had them too for many years. This is Travel Insurance which is only good for a specified time. In fact, BUPA sells a Travel Insurance Policy, but limits the coverage for 90 days during your trip. You then need to return home and you can buy another 90 days for your next trip. The backpacker could have bought an annual health insurance policy from BUPA, but it would be more expensive and care limited to Thailand. To my knowldege you cannot

buy travel insurance for two plus years, consecutive. It is true, most Thai policies cover motorcycle accidents but only payout 50% of the medical costs.

No. its an annual travel insurance policy

http://global.ihi.com/

This all sounds pretty straight forward to me, the guy is in hospital with head injuries, the guy didn't wear a helmet and voided his insurance. Any insurance is voided if you take reckless action , break local laws etc.

Insurance is not blanket coverage for any accident, its coverage for accidents when you are acting within the law and within the scope of safe behavior.

As much as I feel sorry for the kid, it was an accident. What is beginning to get on my nerves is this immediate rush to seek financial aid from strangers when, and in this case, they look middle-class and will have assets - including a home and probably a car or two. 

Further, they can't be impoverished if the lad has been travelling on and off in Asia for 2 years plus now.

If she'd said she'd sold the car, disposed of liquid assets, cashed in her savings account etc etc, then I'd have some compassion and drop a few quid into the box. But this smacks of greed. 

2 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

I wondered the same thing.  Normally, 90 days is the maximum on any one policy, but there may be some special ones for long term travellers like back-packers.  

Perhaps this chap renewed his policy, (or bought a new one,) every 3 months, but I have to wonder if he was actually covered - had his policy lapsed, maybe, which is why the hospital are being difficult?

Not every distressed mother has all the facts at her fingertips.

You most definitely can buy annual health insurance, what you're confusing is the 90 day cover. You're only covered for up to 90 days of continuous travel outside of the country the policy was taken out on each trip. You can travel the whole year and be covered AS LONG as your return to your country of origin every 90 days then start traveling again (rinse and repeat).

They have the clause to prevent people taking out travel insurance vs the usually more expensive full health insurance when they are outside of their country of origin for long terms. There are some exceptions, for example Global Nomads offers continuous travel coverage but normal companies don't. 

5 hours ago, hagler said:

Umm actually they do. Been riding in third world countries all over the world now for over 35 years and have been covered the whole time.

I suspect that it depends on the insurance company that is used more than anything else. Generally before you take out travel insurance iy would pay off to scrutinise ALL the small and even smaller print to find out if you are getting what you want.

Perhaps some companies will ONLY insure you if you are qualified to ride a bike in the UK but not cover you as a passenger if the driver is not qualified. Some companies will simply not cover you under any circumstances.

The travel insurance may have a specific time limit but they will still take your money and simply not pay up if you run out of time.

Generally the more expensive the policy the better cover there is but not always.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sorry i disagree with you, please study travel insurance documents.

I still have mine from over 6 years ago, it clearly states riding on motorbikes not covered.

And I disagree with you.  I broke my arm on a scooter here.  I have full UK licence for bikes and a helmet,  insurance covered all my bill,  minus excess fine,  no argument just needed receipts and police report

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

I still have mine from over 6 years ago, it clearly states riding on motorbikes not covered.

Travel insurance has different cover depending on cost and insurer.  My insurance covers me for all road accidents with no exceptions.  However if the motorbike rider had the correct insurance then they should pay out.  After I was hospitalised in Chiang Mai following a hit and run, my bike insurance paid all my hospital treatment (but not the food) and that was in Lanna International hospital.

5 hours ago, bartobar said:

Being the second on the list of countries with highest road accident deaths, ln my view, riding a motorbike??????? hmmmmmm....

Yes. I have been riding dirt bikes for 35 years, raced them for a while in my younger days. I get funny looks here when I put on a helmet, and I find I ride only when I have to in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I suggest you read your Bupa policy again.    50% cover up to the max on any motorbike ,,,, fullstop

Yes I remember Bupa not covering motorbike accidents when I lived in Thailand.  Lot's of other exceptions and differences to the UK Bupa cover.  That is why I didn't use them.  There are plenty of other ones that offer full cover and are accepted by the international hospitals.

Colinneil, misinformation from you I am afraid. Different companies have different EXCLUSIONS:- some won't cover, some insist on a home country licence, some also insist on a destination country licence and nearly all only cover for 125cc and under. Usually if you are a pillion then the driver has to be licenced. I have been covered for the last 16 years by my policies but never had to claim, touch wood. 

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Calm down folks, tragic what has happened to the lad.

I know i have been there in a similar situation.

Please stop screaming about his insurance company, as we all know travel insurance does not cover riding motorbikes.

Compassion does not come into it with insurance companies, just hard facts.

I hope the lad gets the best treatment possible, yes there is good care provided in Thai hospitals.

Chin up lad be positive, my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Well "we all know" wrong.

Extract from FAQs of one of the many standard travel policies available in the UK that include cover for motorcycle use on holiday (Direct Travel Insurance):

"You can travel on a motorcycle, however the following will apply;

a) as a passenger you wear a crash helmet and the driver holds a licence to drive the two-wheeled motor vehicle under the laws of the country in which you are travelling (if such a licence is required); or
B) as a driver you wear a crash helmet and you hold a licence which permits you to drive the two-wheeled motor vehicle under the laws of the country in which you are travelling (if such a licence is required)

Please be aware that some policies will exclude Personal Liability cover. We recommend that you refer to the Policy Wording for full terms and conditions."

The standard policies that I have taken out have allowed me to drive a motorcycle in Thailand only if I have a UK licence.

Colinneil, misinformation from you I am afraid. Different companies have different EXCLUSIONS:- some won't cover, some insist on a home country licence, some also insist on a destination country licence and nearly all only cover for 125cc and under. Usually if you are a pillion then the driver has to be licenced. I have been covered for the last 16 years by my policies but never had to claim, touch wood. 

Yes, all correct per my policies too. One thing to add. If you get a taxi bike not only does it need to be 125 or under to be insured but they can't be over the limit and you need a helmet.

If you are going to ride a bike you need to read the important part of the small print i.e. motorbike cover

9 hours ago, hagler said:

Umm actually they do. Been riding in third world countries all over the world now for over 35 years and have been covered the whole time.

There is very few companies that specifically cover motorcycles and most are limited to under 125cc. They also stipulate you must have a license, be alcohol and drug free, wear all safety gear and not be breaking any laws at the time.

A lot of policies have transport cover as an option which relates to being a passenger in or on most vehicles. A large number of policies I have seen only have this at higher levels of cover.

without knowing what his policy is, the company that provided it and his level of cover it's all just speculation 

1 hour ago, MadMuhummad said:

There is very few companies that specifically cover motorcycles and most are limited to under 125cc. They also stipulate you must have a license, be alcohol and drug free, wear all safety gear and not be breaking any laws at the time.

A lot of policies have transport cover as an option which relates to being a passenger in or on most vehicles. A large number of policies I have seen only have this at higher levels of cover.

without knowing what his policy is, the company that provided it and his level of cover it's all just speculation 

Seems that too many people are posting without having read what has gone before.

The name of the insurer has been posted, as well as the relevant clause. 

9 hours ago, jerojero said:

Insurance agents are given bonuses the more claims they deny. Insurance companies main objective is to pay out as few claims as possible. They are not there to protect you.

Your first sentence is absolute BS! The second two sentences are debatable. 

8 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

As much as I feel sorry for the kid, it was an accident. What is beginning to get on my nerves is this immediate rush to seek financial aid from strangers when, and in this case, they look middle-class and will have assets - including a home and probably a car or two. 

Further, they can't be impoverished if the lad has been travelling on and off in Asia for 2 years plus now.

If she'd said she'd sold the car, disposed of liquid assets, cashed in her savings account etc etc, then I'd have some compassion and drop a few quid into the box. But this smacks of greed. 

Greed or desperation?  It could take months to liquidate enough assets to repatriate an injured party- if ever.  

By which time the kid could be dead if he's not getting treated appropriately (if at all) because the hospital wants payment guaranteed before they do anything beyond appearing to be trying to keep him breathing.  And that doesn't even start to consider the long term prospects if he needs reconstructive surgery before things start mending crooked.  Any delay could be catastrophic.

Seems that too many people are posting without having read what has gone before.

But it's useful info, so many people claim travel insurance is no good but also never read the small print or get into the detail and wonder why claims are turned down.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:18 AM, colinneil said:

You can disagree all you like, you're wrong. I used to write insurance policies in a former life :)

13 hours ago, JamJar said:

Where please?

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You can disagree all you like, you're wrong. I used to write insurance policies in a former life :)

I knew you and I had something in common, Steven! Possibly the most boring job in the world; drove me crazy.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Where please?

The clause has not been published anywhere, nor is it likely to be. The insurers claim to have denied liability due to "reckless driving" which to me seems unusual, as the victim was a passenger on a motorcycle. 

However, I have looked at the InsureAndGo policy wording and there're two potential reasons why this claim could be denied: riding a motorcycle as a driver or passenger above 125cc is excluded without prior agreement of insurers. It's unlikely that the bike was above 125cc but this hasn't been reported.

Secondly, and maybe the relevant clause, though it hasn't been reported, the insured must wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle either as a passenger or driver.

If either of these conditions have been breached then the insurers are well within their rights to deny liability.

Interestingly the policy also states that a seatbelt must be worn whether in the front or back of a car, something that many people don't do over here, despite the new law. Clauses such as this demonstrate the need to read and understand your travel insurance policy, as your coverage may be excluded for something as innocuous as getting into the back of a taxi.

Archived