Warring parties in car finance case shake hands - but cop with gun could still face charges

webfact

Warring parties in car finance case shake hands - but cop with gun could still face charges

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- The case of the cop who drew a gun after the bank came to repossess his wife's car took a new twist yesterday at Kannayao police station.

The employees of the leasing arm of the bank - Krung Thai Auto Lease - decided to drop charges of defamation against the wife and threatening behavior against the cop and shake hands. In turn the wife and cop decided to drop counterclaims that they were unfairly threatened, reported Thai News Agency.

But the police say that the matter is subject to the criminal law of the land and everything will be followed through despite the two sides agreeing to drop charges.

The 'case of the week' began when Krung Thai employees Patcharin Jansiri and Daorung came to the house of Bang Khen cop Ekachat Somsiri and his wife to reclaim a Honda Jazz that was two years behind with payments.

Wearing nothing but long pants the cop came down brandishing a gun and made off with the car.

The bank staff reported him for threatening behavior and after the wife went on TV to claim she was threatened unfairly by the staff who she said did not have ID, they added a claim for defamation.

They had documents to prove that the wife had signed to return the car after failing to make the payments but had not done so.

Both sides have now dropped the claims and counterclaims.

The cop has agreed to try to find the money to pay for the car and meet the bank today. If he can't do that he said that the bank can take back the car.

Kannayao police said that the matters relating to the criminal law will all be followed through despite the handshakes.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-11

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

The cop has agreed to try to find the money to pay for the car and meet the bank today. If he can't do that he said that the bank can take back the car.

How magnanimous of him.

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

....only in Thailand, pull a gun, kill a person, kill a cop, shake hands all is forgiven... No wonder...

Not sure it's forgiven, just not dealt with in a manner that resembles justice.

I can only imagine how terrifying it is to have a gun pointed at you (hell, just knowing the person who's irate with you has it on his person)

Maybe I'm valuing my life too much. I'm too serious. Mai pen rai. Someone could have died but no one did. The fact no one died is the positive bit we should be focusing on. 

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Very strange in all my years in Thailand, i have never seen 2 Thais shaking hands.

Maybe they tried to point the finger at each other and somehow it failed. 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Very strange in all my years in Thailand, i have never seen 2 Thais shaking hands.

Thais wai each other, never shake hands.

I would have to agree with you. I think that by shaking hands most likely means that neither side is happy and don't believe each other.

The bank however, customer two years behind on payment. Don't worry lets give it another month to work things out.

Abuse of his position and profession. Threatening behaviour. Uncivil. Unjust. Sack him! Take away his pension!

Disgusting behaviour by a person placed in the position to uphold the law for the protection of the public, not to threaten them!

They failed to pay the HP for over two years! Charges should be pressed. Breach of contract. Simple...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Looks like a few hundred more motorcycles will be pulled over in that precinct this month, to cover the missing car payments. They'll be lucky if they won't be "fined" at gunpoint.