Gout treatment? what kind of food I should eat?

Sandman77

I got got manefistation in my right toes, bone is very big now and pressure on Nerv I have to go operate sometime swollen, swollen sometime not in Thailand less pain in heat coming back to cold Europe more pain !

Operation to option , fixed toes that I cannot move again this I not want do , or removal of parts of bone surface !

How a food plan must look like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Anything can have side effects so always best to consult doctor first and have followup.  It is used after a gout attack - other medications are used for treatment of active attack.  This medication and doctors visits should not cost much so would urge you to consult a doctor - it is a very common ailment and often runs in family.  And indeed it can be very painful.

https://www.drugs.com/allopurinol.html

If you require surgery due to gout then it has already progressed quite far untreated. This could have been avoided through appropriate medical treatment.

Nothing you do diet wise will undue the damage already done. At best it will reduce the severity of future new attacks.

Dietary recommendations are to avoid or minimize: red meat, shellfish, alcohol.

But diet alone is usually not enough. And as explained it will not undo joint  that has already occurred.

You would likely not be in this mess and facing surgery now (assuming the surgery really is for gout and not another condition) if you had ccepted modern medical care. I suggest you seriously reconsider your approach. Herbs and diet do not cure everything.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you taking anything for the gout (when it is not active)?  I has last gout attack more than 25 years ago and did not have to change eating much - just allopurinol use.

Are you still taking allopurinol?  If not, how long did you take it before stopping?  My gout attacks have been infrequent -- four times, ever, all within the last 5-6 years -- and I'm wondering if the potential side effects are worth it.  I didn't go to the doctor for this current bout, but the last one (the 3rd) the doctor made no reference to taking allopurinol.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I know you were summarizing the most probable causes that trigger gout attacks, but my latest one was from tuna!  Of all things.  I do see it listed now as a cause when I research, but it didn't catch my notice until now, nor had my doctor mentioned it.

I usually have one can of tuna a week since I love tuna salad.  About a week ago, I had a can one day, another can two days later and, bam!, swollen and sore big toe. The only thing I had between the two cans of tuna were pizza, garlic bread and spaghetti on the day between, so I'm pretty sure it was the tuna.  I'm going to cut back on my regular tuna usage for sure now.  

7 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Are you still taking allopurinol?  If not, how long did you take it before stopping?  My gout attacks have been infrequent -- four times, ever, all within the last 5-6 years -- and I'm wondering if the potential side effects are worth it.  I didn't go to the doctor for this current bout, but the last one (the 3rd) the doctor made no reference to taking allopurinol.

Still taking but reduced from 300mg to 100mg a few years ago and still not having attacks.  Every male in fathers family had and I started at about 45.  I really don't believe most people have much in the way of side effects from allopurinol, but always a chance.

@lopburi3:  Thanks.  A Google search of allopurinol side effects of course exposed the very worst things it can induce, and I must admit it was a little concerning.

As far as I know, no one else in my family has had gout.

Next time I see a doctor, I should ask more about allopurinol in particular and gout in general.  My doctor when I lived in Hua Hin was specializing in gout, but now that I'm in Pattaya I need to find someone competent that I trust.

5 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

no booze, no meat, watch vegetables, beans, legumes and nuts….anything with prurient will make it come back.

drink lots of natural cherry juice that helps loads

Cherry brandy is good

Hello

If you gate gout, that means your urine ph is down.... some people have this tendency.. You can find in Fascino strips to check your urine ph every day. It should not be under 7..

If under this level you must go for an alcaline diet to increase this ph.. Google "hos to raise urine ph" or similar and you will be surprised to find so many comments and recommendations for this problem which can really affect your health..

Surprisingly you will see that you have to eat or drink lots of lemons to rise your ph (apart from other diet restrictions) or to drink cider vinegar to help you.. Too long to explain through forum.. When you read what you find on google you will have full explanations and recommendations about all this.

Foodland sells an excellent organic cider vinegar.. It is quite expensive but works very well..

Generally speaking you also have to avoid meat a lot but also shrimps etc.. (check for details). Sugar is also to avoid and if you go for it, go for brown one and not for refined white one..  Then industrial products are to avoid also.. Fruit juices for example, avoid industrial ones and prefer fresh ones..

By checking your ph you will be able to avoid gout crisis.. and you will be able to verify that after your ph drops for a reason or another (mainly something you drink or eat) gout appears

All the best

I noticed that a day or two before I got a gout attach I got a tingling in the joint so now when I feel that I take allopurinol for a couple of day and I not had a problem for many years now

5 hours ago, Sandman77 said:

No I not take any m medicine yet ?is there any side effect ? My wife send me some herbal hope it helps !

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

Go to a pharmacy there are two types of pills to take one is a pain killer the other a anti inflammatory.Diet ..try vegetarian. No mushrooms or asparagus and no alcohol ? Cheers Two days you'll be walking with no pain !

I have serious gout problems... if I don't keep the diet.

On the other hand, keeping the diet makes me living without Allupurinol. An occasional gout attack I usually can cure with Diclofenac or Feldene.

Booze, fat meat, sea food = no good ! Eat more Pussy instead, that helps :)

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you require surgery due to gout then it has already progressed quite far untreated. This could have been avoided through appropriate medical treatment.

Nothing you do diet wise will undue the damage already done. At best it will reduce the severity of future new attacks.

But diet alone is usually not enough. And as explained it will not undo joint  that has already occurred.

You would likely not be in this mess and facing surgery now (assuming the surgery really is for gout and not another condition) if you had ccepted modern medical care. I suggest you seriously reconsider your approach. Herbs and diet do not cure everything.

I've had only one gout attack about 30 years ago. Doctor prescribed Indocid and I was pain-free after a couple of hours. Has never returned.

I took allopurinol (300 mg) faithfully for quite a few years. I go to the local hospital every three months for a blood test and checkup. About six months ago the doctor asked me if I was still taking the drug. I was. She told me my uric acid levels were very low and I should stop taking the drug. I was skeptical but stopped taking it. I eat anything I want and only occasionally I can feel a twinge of an attack coming on, just twinges. I then take one colchicine and the twinges go away. So far so good. I have no idea why it went away. I'm 72 years old.

I am surprised sometimes about simple medical questions which could be answered by many medical websites.......

Anyway, avoid too much purines, means reduce or stop for a while intake of beer, and different sorts of proteins (meat, cheese, aso) and drink a lot, in this case I mean water. And probably you are over weight or obese even.