Young female mechanic showing the guys how it's done!

webfact

28 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So you would let this girl work on your car?  I only let qualified engineers touch mine since it's already dangerous enough in BKK.

Such a silly comment... do you really believe she is working on the Hydraulic transmission systems or brake systems at a Honda / Toyota / BMW garage ??....  

Its plainly obvious that she is just part-timing in her uncles 'mom+pop' workshop, which, looking at the photo offers little more than a tyre replacement and a change of spark plug... 

Reading ThaiVisa.com sometimes makes me wonder how such a simple, basic and positive story can be spun by some into such a negative. These comments say so much about the negative posters - I hope some of you negative posters are not really this miserable in the real world. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well this proves that anybody can be a mechanic in Thailand...no education needed...maybe that's why so many accidents happen cause the brakes didn't work?

So fruitman,What is your trade experience ? one of those phxny texchers ?

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well this proves that anybody can be a mechanic in Thailand...no education needed...maybe that's why so many accidents happen cause the brakes didn't work?

Yep- lets just find the badness in a story of a girl who has an interest in something and will make a go of it.

Beats me why some people  are so bitter about life.

Personally I wish her all success for the future.

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I find it disturbing. 

Grandparents in a lot of societies (including the West) take care of the children if the parents struggle- as do uncles and aunts.

Would you rather see the Afghan solution as seen on the news the other day- 'I may have to SELL' one or two of my children'.

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your missing the point because you can't read.

Its normal to work under supervision.. it happens all over the world. Nowhere does it state she works all alone unsupervised. How do you think the work and learn experience works in other countries. I gave you an example of it.. also an example of how it worked with me. You fail to read.. you just keep spewing your opinionated anti Thai rants here. 

How do you think mechanics in the West learn their trade without touching cars until they are qualified... (nope).. same way as this girl. Doing mechanical repairs under supervision of an qualified mechanic. Usually they study at the same time. Now be a good boy and educate yourself a bit more. 

So you think tightening wheelnuts of a car is the same as calculating some sums. If you do it wrong nothing serious will happen.

So you guys like unqualified personell touching cars/machines and think it should be cheered, well not me.  And next time your own garage tighten the wheels make sure they use a torquekey which they even don't have. Tightening wheels or changing oil is not a young girls job. If the oilplug is not tightened properly it can fall out causing the motor to crash, now of course you guys knew all that already.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

I guess, the so called "brake failures" mostly are excuses of the disabled drivers.... 

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yep, All the best mechanics in UK that I knew were Uni' graduates.

???.

Sarcasm alert.

Just now, ujayujay said:

I guess, the so called "brake failures" mostly are excuses of the disabled drivers.... 

Not always. I also had my motorbike brakes malfunction after service at the dealer. They had a young 15 yo boy who had touched the discs with greasy hands while he had to repair a tyre.

When i noticed the brakes didn't work i drove back to him but that dealer didn't even have something like discbrake cleaner...just an old rag was all...things like that is what you learn at technical schools but what does a boy from 15 know about being a professional and working at a dealer.  

44 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Grandparents in a lot of societies (including the West) take care of the children if the parents struggle- as do uncles and aunts.

Would you rather see the Afghan solution as seen on the news the other day- 'I may have to SELL' one or two of my children'.

I find it disturbing. 

I work with young children and would be seriously concerned if this happened to any child i worked with. 

As to your attempt to drag Afghanistan into this with your spurious "Afghan solution."

It is not an "Afghan solution". It is one you often see in conflict zones where the norms of society have collapsed. 

However it is one I also find  disturbing, though for very different reasons. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Good for her! I'm sure being a female, she is more pro active and knowledgable about the job she undertakes, unlike those boys, who act like men but have no clue!

Usually, from my experiences, male mechanics are brash and normally have very little knowledge of mechanics!

So many times, after visiting places such as Honda and those messy, filthy so called bike shops, my bike has come away either adjusted incorrectly, oily hand marks everywhere on the bike, or what was adjusted or repaired, simply breaks or goes out of adjustment within a a day or so, if not sooner.

Almost all of the time, I waste money, so now I tackle what ever I can and being a mechanical/electronics engineer by trade, in the past, I'm capable of doing most tasks but the problem I have is living in an apartment so I'm restricted as to what I can do, so hence, at times I'm forced to visit such places, which I hate because being a foreigner, I'm sure I get had? As per normal.

Sorry to say, but a lot of these so called mechanics are chicken wire and gum guys, like most things here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Good for her. My dad got in to mechanical stuff at early age. Change cam shafts..rearends ...rebuild moter. .paint cars etc

It is a life skill that has done me well over the years. I can't thank him enough for that. It is a great skill to pass on to the younger generation.

Unless a job requires overwhelming physical ability nothing surprising here.  Women and men have always had the same intellect and ability to learn.   There are notable differences in the way men and women approach problems and think but for the most part if you enjoy doing it there are no gender based limitations.  I once saw a 14 year old girl take down and clean an AR-15 with utmost skill.  Its all about practice.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

So you would let this girl work on your car?  I only let qualified engineers touch mine since it's already dangerous enough in BKK.

Yawn...

How do you know your "qualified engineers" are qualified?

Asked to see their credentials?

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Yep- lets just find the badness in a story of a girl who has an interest in something and will make a go of it.

Beats me why some people  are so bitter about life.

Personally I wish her all success for the future.

The thinly disguised misogyny leaking out from a number of the contributors on this thread simply palpable.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

These comments say so much about the negative posters - I hope some of you negative posters are not really this miserable in the real world. 

I don't. I hope they are just as miserable in the real world. Let them drown in misery. They deserve it. 

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Where does it say she is uneducated?

Your nonsense proves nothing.

Go girl.   Working on cars isn't rocket science.  But getting closer.    But she has 5 years experience.   Brake jobs are not hard.  Even wheel bearings are easy.  Google and YouTube gave clips on everything.  Usually exact years car and model.   Shows the tricks.   After that it's cake with the right tool box.    I bet she can torque on lugnuts close to specs without a torque wrench.   

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The M3 (year 9) student at Wat Moonjindaram School is earning 200-300 baht a day in her uncle's shop providing her with pocket money in the holidays and at weekends.

Pocket money? This is the amount that most adult Thai's are earning.

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Glad to see she is learning a trade , there will always be work fixing motorbikes in Thailand , 

In a few years they need to start a service for Lady Bike owners and have her as Service writer ,  

as long as its the same basic cost the  female owners will feel more comfortable going there , 

We need a 5 year from now follow up story

I always feel a lot more comfortable when I go to Thai gas stations and all the little girls in skimpy uniforms go over my car, checking this and that filling up the fluids, I stay in driver's seat to watch the show.   :sleepy:

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

How you know she is uneducated. or is that just a generalisation of your thoughts on Thai women .

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Such a silly comment... do you really believe she is working on the Hydraulic transmission systems or brake systems at a Honda / Toyota / BMW garage ??....  

Its plainly obvious that she is just part-timing in her uncles 'mom+pop' workshop, which, looking at the photo offers little more than a tyre replacement and a change of spark plug... 

Reading ThaiVisa.com sometimes makes me wonder how such a simple, basic and positive story can be spun by some into such a negative. These comments say so much about the negative posters - I hope some of you negative posters are not really this miserable in the real world. 

I've met a couple. They are!

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Not always. I also had my motorbike brakes malfunction after service at the dealer. They had a young 15 yo boy who had touched the discs with greasy hands while he had to repair a tyre.

When i noticed the brakes didn't work i drove back to him but that dealer didn't even have something like discbrake cleaner...just an old rag was all...things like that is what you learn at technical schools but what does a boy from 15 know about being a professional and working at a dealer.  

Well if no-one has taught him then he may well not know.

If you read the OP you would see that her Uncle - the proprietor of the workshop - has been teaching her for the last 5 years...

9 hours ago, fruitman said:

Nice bit of Thai AND gender bashing at the same time, and so quickly too.