rain, rain, rain

thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

In 2011 the rainy season started in March and by the middle of the year the supply chain was starting to break down. Supermarket shelves were virtually empty of canned and bottled goods, particularly beer. My nephew came over from Canada and we couldn't get into Bangkok for flooding. Don Muang was closed down and a large percentage of the country was under water.

Is this year going the same way? Its certainly not normal. I have been here Dec/Jan for nearly 20 years and have never known it rain so much in January.

Precipitation in 2011 was 35% higher than the average due to La Niña. Most of this rainfall did not come especially early in most parts of the country, except in the north and northwest, where average precipitation was much higher than normal (about 1000 mm).

Rainfall also continued on, abnormally, into December, with spring tides and storm surges during the months of October and November preventing steady run-off into the sea near Bangkok. The main dams in the north that were allowed to reach overflow had to be relieved of water at the worst time and the resulting flow arrived in Bangkok in December. Flooding problems were compounded by all sorts of obstructions in the available drainage around Bangkok but decades of deforestation in the country have amplified the risk of floods like this in any case.

Edited by nauseus

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, am enjoying these grey and rainy days, but know from experience that I slowly lose my enjoyment after a few months.  The best for me is a pattern of daily rains, but only once a day for brief periods.

After living in a condo, and then townhouses, which had limited views of the sky, I now live in a condo with an unobstructed 180-degree view and enjoy watching the dark clouds build up and pass by.  This month a couple times the clouds were so dark they reminded me of snowstorm clouds.  The lightning shows at night are amazing, too, even out over the water.

Nothing unusual about the few big thunderstorms we've had so far in May .   Feels like any year but this month is not over yet so lets wait and see.  Today looks like another grey day , with rain for a couple of hours.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

In 2011 the rainy season started in March and by the middle of the year the supply chain was starting to break down. Supermarket shelves were virtually empty of canned and bottled goods, particularly beer. My nephew came over from Canada and we couldn't get into Bangkok for flooding. Don Muang was closed down and a large percentage of the country was under water.

Is this year going the same way? Its certainly not normal. I have been here Dec/Jan for nearly 20 years and have never known it rain so much in January.

those were the day's

overstroming.jpg

overstr.jpg

These weather topics with subjective observations always crack me up. 

This type of thread is the same class as "the lowest low season ever", or the "things were better 10 years ago" twaddle.  Every year the same type of post appears.

Conjecture is wasted energy.

A quick look at wiki shows that May is the 3rd rainiest month in Pattaya, just after Sept/Oct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya#Climate

If someone has real stats showing that this year is worse than normal, or the worst in "36 years", please post them for analysis. 

Edited by tazly
sp

12 hours ago, tazly said:

This type of thread is the same class as "the lowest low season ever", or the "things were better 10 years ago" twaddle.  Every year the same type of post appears.

A quick look at wiki shows that May is the 3rd rainiest month in Pattaya, just after Sept/Oct.

If someone has real stats showing that this year is worse than normal, or the worst in "36 years", please post them for analysis. 

One of the problems with weather is that no one can be everywhere at the same time and average stats are just that, average. I live on the outskirts of Chonburi city and I have seen Pattaya flooded and we not get any rain whatsoever.

In December 2015 the rain for that year came to and end and we never saw any rain again prior to going to the UK on 13th June 2016. By the time we left we were down to about 2 weeks domestic supply and had been buying water for the garden. Rainy season started while we were in the UK.

In the months prior to Christmas I put a lot of time and effort into redesigning my sprinkler system, laying pipes all around the garden, but have never used it. The rain from 2016 continued well into January and has not stopped for more than 4 weeks at a time. In March we experienced a couple of weeks of very heavy rain very similar to March 2011.

I can tell you from many years experience that last year was a lot closer to the norm than this year, but you living 40 miles away may have experienced something completely different.

BTW. I can remember in years gone by that around April time bars in Walking Street would close the toilets because there was no water available.

13 hours ago, tazly said:

What a crack up, the stats cannot be available yet! The OP concerns rain in Pattaya in early May, which was much higher than usual. 

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

My pond and stream is flooded this morning and all the fish are being washed onto the grass

Flooded.jpg

"A river runs through it"  a great read.

How do you get a stream to go through your property? Is it a boundary type thing or is it private or man-made? 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

"A river runs through it"  a great read.

How do you get a stream to go through your property? Is it a boundary type thing or is it private or man-made? 

Totally inside the property, man made by following an underground watercourse, when we want more water to show off the waterfall a pump circulates from the pond to the top of a quite big rock waterfall. :smile:

On 2017-05-14 at 10:00 PM, nauseus said:

What a crack up, the stats cannot be available yet! The OP concerns rain in Pattaya in early May, which was much higher than usual. 

Quid es demonstratum.....as you claim the stats are not available, the OP observations are therefore based on subjective observation and cannot be taken to be factual....therefore your hypothesis is refuted.  Once you have the stats(which you could get by approaching the relevant authorities), feel free to post.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess rainy season has started. The 2 years I lived in Pattaya I don't recall so many continuous rainy days any time of the year.

No such thing as "rainy season".  There is a Northeast and southwest monsoon recurrent weather ssytem which affects Pattaya....the southwest monsoon, which is characterized by heavy amounts of rain usually starts in March/April...May is the 3rd rainiest month!

Edited by tazly

2 minutes ago, tazly said:

Quid es demonstratum.....as you claim the stats are not available, the OP observations are therefore based on subjective observation and cannot be taken to be factual....therefore your hypothesis is refuted.  Once you have the stats(which you could get by approaching the relevant authorities), feel free to post.

You were asking for stats for this month/year - how can they be available yet? QED 2u2. 

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You were asking for stats for this month/year - how can they be available yet? QED 2u2. 

Go to the ministry that collects them on a daily basis......do you want me to do all the homework you were assigned...now get cracking....we are all waiting to see what you come up with!

14 minutes ago, tazly said:

No such thing as "rainy season".  There is a Northeast and southwest monsoon which affect Pattaya....the southwest monsoon which is characterized by heavy amount of rain usually starts in March/April...May is the 3rd rainiest month!

Wrong again :1zgarz5:heavy rain is not usual in March and April. 

rain.PNG

Edited by nauseus
shift pic

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Wrong again :1zgarz5:heavy rain is not usual in March and April. 

rain.PNG

Get your reading specs out...from the OP..... "Has anyone that has been in Pattaya more than a couple of years seen this much rain in May before? "

I italicized, boldened and underlined the word May in case you can't read......your chart is wrong and has no reference provided and is therefore rejected.  refer to the wiki link I provided.  You really are a lousy researcher, but I suspect you are pretending to be stupid just to wind people up.  Anyway, off you go on the assignment I gave you and come back with a full report...we will all be waiting.

Here is the relevant extract as you are too idle to find it:

6. Rainfall

Upper Thailand usually experiences dry weather in winter because of the northeast monsoon which is a main factor that controls the climate of this region. Later period, summer, is characterized by gradually increasing rainfall with thunderstorms. The onset of the southwest monsoon leads to intensive rainfall from mid-May until early October. Rainfall peak is in August or September which some areas are probably flooded. However, dry spells are commonly occur for 1 to 2 weeks or more during June to early July due to the northward movement of the ITCZ to southern China. Rainy season in the Southern Part is different from upper Thailand. Abundant rain occurs during both the southwest and northeast monsoon periods. During the southwest monsoon the Southern Thailand West Coast receives much rainfall and reaches its peak in September. On the contrary, much rainfall in the Southern Thailand East Coast which its peak is in November remains until January of the following year which is the beginning of the northeast monsoon. According to a general annual rainfall pattern, most areas of the country receive 1,200 - 1,600 mm a year. Some areas on the windward side, particularly Trat province in the Eastern Part and Ranong province in the Southern Thailand West Coast have more than 4,500 mm a year. Annual rainfall less than 1,200 mm occurs in the leeward side areas which are clearly seen in the central valleys and the uppermost portion of the Southern Part.

Edited by Jai Dee
troll comments removed

Torrential rain through the night and again this morning, garden looks like a lake.

What a difference a year makes, this time last year the wells had run dry and we were buying water to put on the garden.

Not going to be any problem with the water table going into next year.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Torrential rain through the night and again this morning, garden looks like a lake.

What a difference a year makes, this time last year the wells had run dry and we were buying water to put on the garden.

Not going to be any problem with the water table going into next year.

I know, much drier this time last year. Wind shifted to come from the from the SW yesterday (near Pattaya at least) for the first time this year. Broad swaths of rain everywhere now, especially in west and north Thailand.  Same this morning. This is the onset of the SW Monsoon, mostly accepted as being the rainy season.

rain17th.jpg

Edited by Jai Dee
troll comments removed

I must admit it's looking bad today , I have an appointment with the dentist on the other side of town , not looking forward to the trip if this weather continues,