Pattaya taxis ordered to halt vigilante justice against Uber drivers

Rimmer

Pattaya taxis ordered to halt vigilante justice against Uber drivers

Thinking she was an Uber driver, a swarm of taxis surrounded and forced to a stop real estate agent Supannee Thampitak after she picked up several Chinese clients at Central Marina shopping mall. Pattaya taxi drivers were told to halt their vigilante behavior against suspected Uber drivers, warning they could be jailed for illegal detention and other offenses if they continued their current war on the ride-sharing service.

PATTAYA:--Pattaya taxi drivers were told to halt their vigilante behavior against suspected Uber drivers, warning they could be jailed for illegal detention and other offenses if they continued their current war on the ride-sharing service.

The warning came after two more incidents of street justice were doled out by aggrieved Pattaya cabbies, who have seen their ability to overcharge passengers hampered by the introduction of the smartphone-enabled ride-hailing app in the city.

On May 4, a swarm of 20 drivers surrounded and forced to a stop Supannee Thampitak, 31, after she picked up several Chinese people at Central Marina shopping mall.

They accused her of being an Uber driver, but ended up red-faced when police arrived and confirmed she was a real estate agent and the Chinese her clients.

In a second case the same week, shown in a video posted to social media, a taxi driver threatened to shoot an Uber driver if he picked up another passenger at the Sanctuary of Truth in Naklua.

And on April 25, a group of cab drivers filed a police complaint about a suspected Uber X driver of a black Mit­subishi Pajero. The Bangkok-registered vehicle picked up Chinese tourists at Soi 7 and Beach Road. Police and drivers then followed the private driver who tried to flee, but was forced to pull over on Soi Photisan in North Pattaya and fined 2,000 baht.

Pattaya’s police chief, Pol. Col. Apichai Kroppech called the realtor’s case a “misunderstanding” and the taxi vigilantes got off with a slap on the wrist after Supannee declined to file charges.

But Pattaya’s top cop warned taxi drivers and associations that such behavior will not be tolerated and would be prosecuted for illegal detention if they stopped another private citizen instead of calling authorities. They could also be hit with traffic offenses and property damage.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-taxis-ordered-halt-vigilante-justice-uber-drivers-173634

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-05-12

These Pattaya 'taxi' drivers are not taxi drivers, they are mafia thugs.  The police should be locking them up. 

The government and Uber need to come to some sort of agreement, then the public will be properly served and the mafia thugs put out of business.

Ok, I can dream, right?

vig·i·lan·te
ˌvijəˈlan(t)ē/
noun

1. a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

Personally I would replace the word vigilante with mafia. 

Instead of fighting them why don't they just join Uber as drivers ? I'm pretty sure they will earn more money in the long run by offering a good service with happy passengers. 

But no they are mafia and it's in their blood. 

I'm going to be using uber on many occasions from now on or grab. Fed up with baht taxis on one way routes refusing to stop or driving off as you move towards the back. Many others are already doing the same. Why on earth charter a baht taxi at 200+ from pattaya central to jomtien when its less than 100 baht in air con taxi. Times are a changing and the fxxxwittery of the taxi mafia is coming to an end either they compete or die

It's a hit or miss in Bangkok. I halted 3 taxi's out side my embassy and asked; meter? 2 said no & 1 wanted 300 baht for a trip that ended costing me 90 including a tip. 

Yes here in Pattaya you see them parked for hours waiting for customers willing to pay crazy prices. I agree, they could likely earn more money by using the meter.

Yes it's a joke, I don't understand the army don't clamp hard down on them and tell them to use the meter, or loose their license for 1 year right on the spot if get caught not using it.

Just now, the guest said:

Uber is totally illegal, and therefore it should be banned as it is a 'transport service' which must comply with the same regulations as the taxis in Thailand.

Do you think the regular fake taxi meters here are complying with regulations? So you want them banned too, right? 

I had an interesting ride yesterday with Uber.   I needed a ride back to my condo because I was carrying a big box , I was at Bic C central .  I knew they would not pick me up close to the taxi stand so I went to the backside of BIg C , near the parking area.  

The driver called me up and asked me to walk away from Big C , I told him I already made it to the backside and he could confirm that on his GPS.  So finally he showed up after driving though the parking garage and make sure nobody from the "official"  taxi were nearby.  

The driver was very friendly and spoke good English , he told me about the recent episodes with the taxi mafia and also that the police were on their side.  The police does not like the taxi mafia , at least that's what he told me, they don't want tourists to experience bad behavior from them   So I guess that's good news .  But beware of malls when you choose a pick-up point , the driver will call you up and ask you to move,. 

Edited by balo

On 5/13/2017 at 10:01 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Trying to control Thais is like trying to control apes in the jungle. 

They just can't be told what to do, can't be told to act civilized. 

Lock them all up and take away their licenses. 

yes it is a social issue