Facebook "baht for UK pounds" con - if anyone falls for this one there really is no hope!

rooster59

Facebook "baht for UK pounds" con - if anyone falls for this one there really is no hope!

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1BbLHbI9ls1ea8bpTMYpJBEasrEsx.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

A newspaper reporter went to Chiang Mai police yesterday to tell them about an attempted Facebook con perpetrated by a woman who claimed to be in England.

All he needed to do was transfer 35,000 baht to an account and 200 million pounds sterling would be his.....to give to charity of course.

At an exchange rate of about 43 baht to pound that is a tidy sum!

Fongwin Sakasawin, 50 made the complaint with Chiang Mai city police yesterday.

He said that in the last week he was befriended by a middle aged Thai woman on Facebook who added him as a "friend".

She said she was in England. Her husband had died leaving her with a nest egg - 400 million pounds to be precise. She had given half of this away to charities in the UK. The couple had no children of their own, she explained.

The problem was, now she had terminal cancer and she wanted to donate the rest - 200 million pounds - to the needy of Chiang Mai.

She posted pictures of her on her deathbed and also pictures of a package that she said would contain the money that she would send by freight.

Later in the week she contacted Fongwin to say that the package had gone to Phuket airport by mistake.

So could he please transfer 35,000 baht to an account she named so that a company in Phuket could send the package to him in Chiang Mai so he would be able to distribute the cash to those in need in the north of Thailand.

He decided to go to the police rather than do that......

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-13

8 minutes ago, Thailand said:

PO Box Nigeria

Yes you are correct

another scam that's years old,

Look out for one from the UK lottery winner , again its from Nigeria same goes for the one from the Right Reverend or vicar and hundreds more, all scams.

If these are getting through what is happening to computers over there with the email scams that lock computers

Buy a Mac much safer

My wife was recently contacted by a different scammer. His profile was a handsome white guy from the UK. When I reversed the guys first and second name and searched on Facebook, up popped a teacher from Cameroon teaching at a Thai school.

I feel fortunate to live in a country that allows me to say avoid people from West African countries. Admittedly, I can't say much else.

Edited by Loaded
typo

I would like to know how many stupid people have been dumb enough to actually send the money. Wouldn't surprise me for a few doctors and professors to have fallen for it, given their recent record of scam investments.

got this same Nigerian scam a few years ago..best way to find out where it is sent from is to go to full header and get the IP address and send the whole email with full header back  to the IP server as a scam email and the server will delete the scammers account   

I delete and block all overtures of friendship on Facebook unless I know the person personally.

This is just a new way of delivering a scam that's as old as email.

I used to get them through Skype as well until I dumped it.

If I had a baht for every time I received some spam/con regarding money transfer, I'd have about 35,000 baht.

Stop wasting valuable police time. Let them get back to collecting tea money and playing farm.

6 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

The one from the FBI Director is an amusing read.

I chuckle at the good Christian lady who expects me to use her donation in a purely altruistic christian way.

Fat chance of that happening. And for more than one reason!

I does make me wonder what tree this 'newspaper reporter' has been sleeping under, for him to think that the police would be interested in this.

Edited by Moonlover

Back when I was on those god awful dating sites, the first question girls would quite often ask was, "Are you a scammer?". I'd tell them that this question is dumb as the answer will always be no. Scammers don't say yes. Upon realising it was a dumb question they'd often rebut with "No! Some scammers admit it when you ask. Look! I just don't wanna be scammed!". The mindset was so dumb, deluded and arrogant. It was as if they were saying "I'm up for investing money and making a massive return, but I do not want to be scammed!". It all boils down to pure greed. Add to that this arrogant mindset of wanting to be greedy but not wanting to be conned. Very scary, indeed. 

I'd have to kindly remind them that it's a dating site. Fundamentally, it's somewhere you go to find a date and future partner (yes, I know the reality of dating sites). You should be talking with guys about going for a coffee, seeing a movie or your hobbies and interests. As soon as someone starts talking money, that's a huge red flag. Time to say bye. Still, people are greedy, and in most cases, I have no sympathy when they get ripped off. Greed begets greed. 

And so stupid these scammers are. Can they not think of more plausible stories ?

200.000.000 Pounds... OMG.

Once i was queueing behind a mother and daughter at a post office counter. They were about to transfer money to Nigeria. Fortunately the p.o.clerk warned them about a scam and advised them to not transfer money to the scammer. They didn't do it finally. Talked to them afterwards, couldn't believe they were so stupid to trust that person in Nigeria.

Advanced fee frauds, more commonly known as 419 scams, originated from Nigeria and are as old as the hills.  Before you ask, the '419' part of the name comes from the section of Nigeria's Criminal Code which deals with that particular sort of fraud.   How anyone ever falls for them defeats me, but they do.  I guess it's pure greed. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it is too good to be true.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

That's 8½ billion baht, a quarter of the entire submarine budget! 

huh.... the sub's  with re-tractable wheels ?  both of them ?  ..........