11              118              67              101

12              123              74              97

13              116              77             95

14              124              78             80

15              125              79             85

16              103              73             104             

17              126              74             91

18              124              75             88

Not too bad for a 73 year old, fat bugger who takes 4 meds a day including 6mg of Orfarin for blood thinning, 1/2 tablet of Co-Diovan 80/12.5 mg,  one tablet ofDilatrend 25mg and one tablet of Bestatin 20 mg.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My BP this month

day         Systolic     Diastolic     Pulse

01              117              67               92

02              123              74               96

03              115              64               98

04              124              70               88

05              112              68               87

06              105              73               90

07              115              62               95

08              116              76               95

09              122              80               97

10              129              76              89

Not too bad for a 73 year old, fat bugger who takes 4 meds a day including 6mg of Orfarin for blood thinning, 1/2 tablet of Co-Diovan 80/12.5 mg,  one tablet ofDilatrend 25mg and one tablet of Bestatin 20 mg.

About 9 or 10 years ago in the UK I callapsed on the golf course a couple of times, went to the doc's and had my heart checked and they found I had a build up of calcium on my valves. Anyway to cut a long story short he gave me some tablets and now I'm on the Thai equivalent 'Bestatin 20s and Enaril 20s' I was taking 1 of each tablet each day. Last year I went down to Sattahip hospital for something and when she listened to my heart she became very concerned and booked me in for a heart check, the one with wires taped all over the cheast. After the doctor had completed the test he said "you have good pump" and told me to take only half a pill a day.

So my question is how do I take readings like the ones you have just printed Bill?

He printed what he measured with a normal blood pressure monitor.  Best to do at same time at home and at rest.  Good monitors do not cost that much and anyone with or suspect will have heart or cardiac issues should probably invest in one - taking at a doctors office under stress can provide a very inaccurate picture (and too often over medication).  Below is about 1,600 baht from Lazada seller.

41eTLxUgSzL._SX355_.jpg

Edited by lopburi3

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

He printed what he measured with a normal blood pressure monitor.  Best to do at same time at home and at rest.  Good monitors do not cost that much and anyone with or suspect will have heart or cardiac issues should probably invest in one - taking at a doctors office under stress can provide a very inaccurate picture (and too often over medication).  Below is about 1,600 baht from Lazada seller.

41eTLxUgSzL._SX355_.jpg

Thanks for that, I understand pulse, but what is systolic and diastolic?

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

Blod pressure readings are explained fairly well here.

http://www.healthline.com/health/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/blood-pressure-reading-explained?m=0

What do the numbers mean?

Everyone would like to have healthy blood pressure. But what exactly does that mean? When your doctor takes your blood pressure, it’s expressed as a measurement with two numbers, with one number on top (systolic) and one on the bottom (diastolic), like a fraction. For example, 120/80.

The top number refers to the amount of pressure in your arteries during contraction of your heart muscle. This is called systolic pressure. The bottom number refers to your blood pressure when your heart muscle is between beats. This is called diastolic pressure. Both numbers are important in determining the state of your heart health.

Numbers greater than the ideal range indicate that your heart is working too hard to pump blood to the rest of your body.

I use a Microlife BP tester. It works for me.

microlife 3AP1-3E.jpg

Edited by billd766
bad spelling

3 hours ago, vogie said:

They sell on ebayUK  prob US   850 delivered free   hong kong

Had my BP recently in hospital 125 over 75...shot up to 140 whilst in pain but to be expected then down.   My mum dies of bleeding stroke ,so averse to taking statins as puts the chances up of having one, small I know but have Gilberts syndrome which I'm told protects from heart disease...no fibrates either  makes for more jaundice like condition

Edited by teddog

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

My BP this month

day         Systolic     Diastolic     Pulse

01              117              67               92

02              123              74               96

03              115              64               98

04              124              70               88

05              112              68               87

06              105              73               90

07              115              62               95

08              116              76               95

09              122              80               97

10              129              76              89

better than mine although your pulse seems a bit high?

18 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

better than mine although your pulse seems a bit high?

I also have Arrhythmia which is causes an irregular heartbeat.

Google is a very useful source of information provided that you look for 2 or more sources and compare them. IMO I get a better understanding of what I am looking for.

I had 2 stents put in back in 2006 and over the years as I get older I sometimes feel the need to know what is going on with my body, what side effects medicines and alcohol etc do to me.

The Internet is a wonderful place to do that rather than go to see a doctor here in rural Thailand whose first languange is not English. I am not knocking Thai doctors but quite often translations don't quite sound right to me.

It is a bit like being able to speak Thai fairly well but not knowing the technical terms of anything. An example is when I take the truck to the local guy to fix my problem. I know what I want him to do. He knows what to do, but I can't explain what I mean.

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/directory/a/arrhythmia

Arrhythmias happen when the electrical signals that your heart uses to beat don’t start in the right place or don’t move across your heart properly. This can alter your heart’s rhythm.

Most arrhythmias that come from the top of your heart (supraventricular or atrial arrhythmias) can cause symptoms but tend to be less serious. However, arrhythmias that arise from your ventricles (ventricular arrhythmias) can cause severe symptoms and can sometimes be fatal.

Atrial fibrillation

Atrial fibrillation is a common arrhythmia. It happens when the electrical impulses in your atria become disorganised and overrides your heart’s normal rate and rhythm. This causes your atria to contract in an irregular manner. You may notice that your heartbeat feels uneven and it may be faster than usual.

Atrial fibrillation puts you at a greater risk of developing a blood clot in your heart, which could cause a stroke. Therefore, if you have atrial fibrillation, your doctor is likely to recommend you take medication to reduce your risk of stroke.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arrhythmia/Pages/arrhythmia.aspx

Introduction 

Arrhythmias or heart rhythm problems are experienced by more than 2 million people a year in the UK. Most people with an abnormal heart rhythm can lead a normal life if it is properly diagnosed.

The main types of arrhythmia are:

atrial fibrillation (AF) – this is the most common type, where the heart beats irregularly and faster than normal

supraventricular tachycardia – episodes of abnormally fast heart rate at rest

bradycardia – the heart beats more slowly than normal

heart block – the heart beats more slowly than normal and can cause people to collapse

ventricular fibrillation – a rare, rapid and disorganised rhythm of heartbeats that rapidly leads to loss of consciousness and sudden death if not treated immediately

Arrhythmias can affect all age groups, but atrial fibrillation is more common in older people. Drinking alcohol in excess or being overweight increases your likelihood of developing atrial fibrillation.

You may also be at risk of developing an arrhythmia if your heart tissue is damaged because of an illness – for example, if you have had a heart attack or have heart failure.

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It is your blood pressure - sys when heart pumping and dia when at rest (between beats)

it is not really the pressure you read on these instruments

what you read off is the deviation from normal atmospheric pressure, (760 mm Hg)

if you read off 125/75 that means the deviation is 125 (high) and 75 (low) and the actual pressure

is 760+125=885 mm Hg and 760+75=835 mm Hg

6 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

'Any advice'?

Yes. lose some weight fatty.

If you were referring to me then I thank you for your advice which, I am sure comes from a fully qualified medical practitioner.

Of course if you are not qualified, then why should I take advice from an ignoramus.

If you were  not referring to me, then please direct your remarks to the person you were talking about.

Im not a doctor, but... .

I visited hospital to get sight test for driving license, at admission nurse took my blood pressure test. And result was like 160/90. So she told me to relax, not be stressed by enviroment or by test. (I was relaxing before for 30 minutes by waiting for that test and i definitely wasn't stressed by getting sight test).

5 minutes later she toke it again and result was 119/75.

I'm 28 btw. These tests are just weird... .

Edit: And about 2 months later I undergo EKG and full cardiovascular test, that shown, that my heart is in best shape ever.. . .

Edited by howard ashoul

9 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

Im not a doctor, but... .

I visited hospital to get sight test for driving license, at admission nurse took my blood pressure test. And result was like 160/90. So she told me to relax, not be stressed by enviroment or by test. (I was relaxing before for 30 minutes by waiting for that test and i definitely wasn't stressed by getting sight test).

5 minutes later she toke it again and result was 119/75.

I'm 28 btw. These tests are just weird... .

Edit: And about 2 months later I undergo EKG and full cardiovascular test, that shown, that my heart is in best shape ever.. . .

It is controllable to an extent. Often i take the first test (Omron HEM-2130) and it can be  150/100 but relaxing and breathing slowly with peaceful thoughts it goes down to 130/85 and I always take 2/3 test daily, one after the other, and take the best one as my 'result'.

I check my blood pressure at home., today 140/82. My wife asked me to check hers. I think she is dead because her blood pressure is too low for the Lumiscope to register. 

2 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I check my blood pressure at home., today 140/82. My wife asked me to check hers. I think she is dead because her blood pressure is too low for the Lumiscope to register. 

Perhaps the arm cuff is too large for her or not positioned right?  I have small arm and can use normal Thai size cuff (just) but my other unit has a much larger cuff which is hard for me to use on myself - much less anyone else.  

6 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

It is controllable to an extent. Often i take the first test (Omron HEM-2130) and it can be  150/100 but relaxing and breathing slowly with peaceful thoughts it goes down to 130/85 and I always take 2/3 test daily, one after the other, and take the best one as my 'result'.

I take mine 5 times in a row and choose the middle reading.

The first reading I took this morning had my Diastolic at 95, the second less than a minute later it was down to 78.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I take mine 5 times in a row and choose the middle reading.

The first reading I took this morning had my Diastolic at 95, the second less than a minute later it was down to 78.

In the instructions that came with my Omron monitor it said to leave a gap of three minutes minimum between readings to ensure accuracy.

2 minutes ago, kkerry said:

In the instructions that came with my Omron monitor it said to leave a gap of three minutes minimum between readings to ensure accuracy.

That would mean taking about 15 minutes for 5 readings to get the average.

I might try that after my afternoon nap today

Three readings would be sufficient... more nap time  :smile:

Besides the more obvious things like sitting correctly with feet flat. there are a number of other instructions to help get accurate readings.

Avoid eating, smoking, exercising, bathing or going to the toilet for at least 30 minutes prior to taking a reading.

6 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Besides the more obvious things like sitting correctly with feet flat. there are a number of other instructions to help get accurate readings.

Avoid eating, smoking, exercising, bathing or going to the toilet for at least 30 minutes prior to taking a reading.

I take 2 sets of readings normally. The first when I come in from cutting the grass for about an hour and the second after a shower and breakfast an hour or so later. There is a definite difference in the readings.

23 hours ago, kkerry said:

I did it twice this morning, the first time 3 readings with about 3 minute intervals, and the second the way I normally do it.

1   121   83   92

125   85   99

117   73   90

2   119   76   93

118   82   98

119   74   94

110   75   92

105   75   92

I would suggest that you take your BP readings about the same time everyday - I do it first thing in the morning before getting up between 600 and 630 am. This also means I'm horizontal in bed. The same time means you'll be comparing like for like. There is no point comparing horizontal 6:00 am with 9 am in the office on a second cup of coffee. My monitor averages three readings so I take three readings in quick succession, during which there can be variations, average them  and record the average. I  put the daily average into a spreadsheet and then average this on a monthly basis; I also record monthly highs and lows of both top and bottom reading and review the difference between the two.

Basically anything can raise your BP and so no real worry if measures vary from second to second. Be aware that taking readings after a dump or a shag, for instance, will result in higher numbers; alcohol and drugs from the night before will also impact adversely, likewise tobacco.

The best solution is undoubtedly reduce salt intake, reduce weight and exercise. Easier said than done. I like my pies.

1 minute ago, gerryBScot said:

I would suggest that you take your BP readings about the same time everyday - I do it first thing in the morning before getting up between 600 and 630 am. This also means I'm horizontal in bed. The same time means you'll be comparing like for like. There is no point comparing horizontal 6:00 am with 9 am in the office on a second cup of coffee. My monitor averages three readings so I take three readings in quick succession, during which there can be variations, average them  and record the average. I  put the daily average into a spreadsheet and then average this on a monthly basis; I also record monthly highs and lows of both top and bottom reading and review the difference between the two.

Basically anything can raise your BP and so no real worry if measures vary from second to second. Be aware that taking readings after a dump or a shag, for instance, will result in higher numbers; alcohol and drugs from the night before will also impact adversely, likewise tobacco.

The best solution is undoubtedly reduce salt intake, reduce weight and exercise. Easier said than done. I like my pies.

also i think Billd is taking quite a lot of medicines so it's not a 'real, upfront and naked' reading?  it's post medication it would be interesting to, if safe, stop the meds and record

7 minutes ago, gerryBScot said:

I usually take my BP the first time if I have been out working around 08:30 and the second time about 09:30 which is the same time if I am not working.

I am seated at my computer desk reading the news or the papers online when I take my BP.