Blood pressure

randymarsh

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

also i think Billd is taking quite a lot of medicines so it's not a 'real, upfront and naked' reading?  it's post medication it would be interesting to, if safe, stop the meds and record

Sadly I cannot stop taking my meds, so for me it IS a real upfront and naked reading.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I did it twice this morning, the first time 3 readings with about 3 minute intervals, and the second the way I normally do it.

1   121   83   92

125   85   99

117   73   90

2   119   76   93

118   82   98

119   74   94

110   75   92

105   75   92

It could be a unwise for someone like me, that tends to get in a tizz over health issues, to start taking my own readings.

It's great if you are otherwise.

I suppose it will always come down to life-style or appropriate medicines. 

Rather than buy a machine, I have started to change a few bad habits.  If my readings at hospital red line I'll ask if I can take meds as there is not a lot of 'bad' left in my life.

I'm seeing results of 98/96 over 64 and 66, and not particularly resting...way too low, so taking a portion of salt,bringsBP up a shade 107/70, but puts HR up to 89 from 80, a bit of a fix really.  always had low BP through past sport(swimming) but dread to think what it goes down to when asleep ...  Good HB monitor being used , and others its used on showing correct results

Buy your own (quality) monitor and don't rely on monitors that have been used thousands of times, then you will be pretty sure of your average BP. Take it lying and standing and both arms. Do this regularly when not stressed.

Just now, uptheos said:

Buy your own (quality) monitor and don't rely on monitors that have been used thousands of times, then you will be pretty sure of your average BP. Take it lying and standing and both arms. Do this regularly when not stressed.

.Christ,it stresses me out when I see results of 96/64,still had a stress free life really,(uniformed) public sector,so sat on my ass mostly,....remember getting socked in the face by a nurse donkeys years ago in middle of the night when lying in hospital bed trying to wake the dead , thanks Sheryl,but I'll keep taking the salt

Just bought the monitor  HEM 7124   Omron

You get too low from over medication and there can be symptoms involved - most common for me is dizzy after getting out of chair or within a minute of doing so.  For me low 90's  (although it might have been lower at exact time) seems to be a danger zone.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

You get too low from over medication and there can be symptoms involved - most common for me is dizzy after getting out of chair or within a minute of doing so.  For me low 90's  (although it might have been lower at exact time) seems to be a danger zone.

I know how you feel,got to check myself when suddenly standing, get the legs moving before getting up, on no medication except 100 mg of thyroxine.....I could say the bp would be under 90 if truly resting,...bit worried about not waking up

8 minutes ago, teddog said:

I know how you feel,got to check myself when suddenly standing, get the legs moving before getting up, on no medication except 100 mg of thyroxine.....I could say the bp would be under 90 if truly resting,...bit worried about not waking up

Don't worry about not waking up, you won't know anything about it.

Soon as I took the monitor out of the box,tested myself 85/58, thought it was duff kaput, obviously woke up a bit then, but  more tests showed only a small increase but now I take salt its gone up.  Tried to buy salt tablets but do not think they are sold in Thailand so take a smallish amount of cooking salt, table salt etc.

On 5/21/2017 at 2:14 PM, billd766 said:

Sadly I cannot stop taking my meds, so for me it IS a real upfront and naked reading.

Yes I wasn't being critical just observing that the meds are keeping your BP stable (which is good) but the reading isn't your actual BP - naked and raw  lol

Do not know how long the intake of salt lasts, but took another test just now  105/68 pulse 69....but I am stressed the Thai GF  giving me some stick about my 5 dogs, but I enjoy a jog with them

3 hours ago, teddog said:

Do not know how long the intake of salt lasts, but took another test just now  105/68 pulse 69....but I am stressed the Thai GF  giving me some stick about my 5 dogs, but I enjoy a jog with them

This is a very good reading, and one might possibly  expect readings on the low side for a jogger.

My own heart beat can drop to 45, though 55 is about normal.

Salt only makes a small difference in the majority of people, as it is the cumulative and compounded effect that causes damage.

21 hours ago, Pib said:

Thank you for that.

I am running a daily log of my BP as an .odt file in Libre Office and each daily entry is in 2 parts. The first entry is the average of 5 readings when I have just finished working and the 2nd entry is the average of 5 readings when I have had a shower, breakfast and I am relaxed about an hour later.

I think that I will try to make a daily line chart just of the second reading for Sys, Dia and Pulse rate. Something to keep me occipied for a while and an easy print out that I can take when I go for my 3 monthly check up at the hospital.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:41 PM, teddog said:

.Christ,it stresses me out when I see results of 96/64,still had a stress free life really,(uniformed) public sector,so sat on my ass mostly,....remember getting socked in the face by a nurse donkeys years ago in middle of the night when lying in hospital bed trying to wake the dead , thanks Sheryl,but I'll keep taking the salt

Just bought the monitor  HEM 7124   Omron

Do as you like, but by any standard, 96/64 is not only a normal BP but a healthy one. Systolic 9-120 and diastolic 60 -80 are considered the ideal range.

The cut off point for low BP is below 90/60, though some people -- usually ones who are very thin -- normally run in the 80's over 50's without problem.

If you are experiencing dizziness, need to look for other causes as a BP in the range you mention will not cause dizziness except in someone who normally runs much higher.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do as you like, but by any standard, 96/64 is not only a normal BP but a healthy one. Systolic 9o-120 and diastolic 60 -80 are considered the ideal range.

The cut off point for low BP is below 90/60, though some people -- usually ones who are very thin -- normally run in the 80's over 50's without problem.

If you are experiencing dizziness, need to look for other causes as a BP in the range you mention will not cause dizziness except in someone who normally runs much higher.

Wish I had 96/64. 

.91/61    HR 78...and about to go to bed, just how low is low?   stayed off salt today, ...yes I know Sheryl, was just in normal range, how low it goes in the middle of the night tho, that bothers me. I'm, not a health freak   71 coming up non-smoker, couple of beers a day, active for almost an hour a day in pool, but do not push it that much these days...overweight? yes

• 4 weeks later...

Hijacking my own thread.  Been monitoring my BP for the past month or so since buying home tester. 

I'm just about in the pre-hypertension stage, averaging around 133/85 but some days i'm stage 1 hypertension.

Some observations since I started monitoring, which may not be of use to anyone but just in case:

I have problems with anxiety and I can say that anxiety definitely impacts BP (both systolic and diastolic).  Had read that diastolic shouldn't be affected by anxiety/ panic attacks but it is in my case.  The worst reading I have taken in the past month was 165/109 when I was anxious and hungover.  Diastolic of 110 is apparently a medical emergency /trip to A&E, which didn't help the anxiety.  Managed to relax and within a few hours I was back in normal-ish range around 130/80.

After exercise, my blood pressure is lower.  I think the general expectation would be an increase in systolic but not always in my case.  Again I link this to anxiety.  I'm generally not anxious after exercise (opposite) and regularly have readings around 125/75 an hour or two after exercise.  Lower BP after exercise is also meant to be a sign of a heart problem but hopefully not...

I actually think anxiety is playing a big part in my BP overall.  I probably have a low level anxiety for 80% of the time I'm awake.  I'm sure if I was happier / more at ease, my readings would improve.

After moderate drinking, my blood pressure is as low as I've seen it.  A day of exercise followed by about 4 beers gave me my lowest readings at 115/60.  This wasn't a one off.  Everytime I drink a few beers my BP drops.  Hangover is usually complete opposite though - 150/90 or worse.

Edited by randymarsh

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2017 at 6:15 PM, randymarsh said:

Hijacking my own thread.  Been monitoring my BP for the past month or so since buying home tester. 

I'm just about in the pre-hypertension stage, averaging around 133/85 but some days i'm stage 1 hypertension.

Some observations since I started monitoring, which may not be of use to anyone but just in case:

I have problems with anxiety and I can say that anxiety definitely impacts BP (both systolic and diastolic).  Had read that diastolic shouldn't be affected by anxiety/ panic attacks but it is in my case.  The worst reading I have taken in the past month was 165/109 when I was anxious and hungover.  Diastolic of 110 is apparently a medical emergency /trip to A&E, which didn't help the anxiety.  Managed to relax and within a few hours I was back in normal-ish range around 130/80.

After exercise, my blood pressure is lower.  I think the general expectation would be an increase in systolic but not always in my case.  Again I link this to anxiety.  I'm generally not anxious after exercise (opposite) and regularly have readings around 125/75 an hour or two after exercise.  Lower BP after exercise is also meant to be a sign of a heart problem but hopefully not...

I actually think anxiety is playing a big part in my BP overall.  I probably have a low level anxiety for 80% of the time I'm awake.  I'm sure if I was happier / more at ease, my readings would improve.

After moderate drinking, my blood pressure is as low as I've seen it.  A day of exercise followed by about 4 beers gave me my lowest readings at 115/60.  This wasn't a one off.  Everytime I drink a few beers my BP drops.  Hangover is usually complete opposite though - 150/90 or worse.

I think you are about in the normal range. 

Anxiety can make a nonsense of BP readings.

What's your heart rate?

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, vogie said:

I am thinking of getting a blood pressure monitor, is there one that will allow you to download the readings to a computor or such to keep a check on the readings?

Believe there are such units and programs but even the most basic models today have built in memory that you can easily view and manually record at any time so would not be inclined to pay much extra for this myself.  Now a little WD40 for my joints?

5863603_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe there are such units and programs but even the most basic models today have built in memory that you can easily view and manually record at any time so would not be inclined to pay much extra for this myself.  Now a little WD40 for my joints?

5863603_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Thanks for that, I've just found many Android Apps that will allow you to manually imput the information and get the charts to view over a week/month/year to keep an eye on the stability (or not) of the blood pressure etc. I've looked at the Omron 7130 and the Beurer BM40 and although the Beurer is made in Germany, the Omron seems more popular. Decisions decisions.

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

Thanks for that, I've just found many Android Apps that will allow you to manually imput the information and get the charts to view over a week/month/year to keep an eye on the stability (or not) of the blood pressure etc. I've looked at the Omron 7130 and the Beurer BM40 and although the Beurer is made in Germany, the Omron seems more popular. Decisions decisions.

I have the Omron model and happy with it but if buying now would just get a good model of Chinese made units at about 1/3 of cost - if you buy the better models of things from China have had very good results.  The main thing is to have an upper arm measurement cuff (and of a size that fits you).

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20180130183207&SearchText=blood+pressure+monitor