Trump pledges to move quickly to nominate new FBI chief

rooster59

Trump pledges to move quickly to nominate new FBI chief

By Roberta Rampton

640x640 (7).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump arrives at Lynchburg regional airport, Virginia, U.S., May 13, 2017. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON/LYNCHBURG, Va. (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will move quickly to nominate a new FBI director, after he sparked a political firestorm by firing the man investigating possible collusion between Russia and the Trump presidential campaign.

Trump told reporters he might even be able to make his decision on who should succeed James Comey to lead the Federal Bureau of Investigation before he departs on his first foreign trip late next week.

"Even that is possible," Trump said, speaking on Air Force One before departing for Lynchburg, Virginia, where he delivered a commencement address.

"I think the process is going to go quickly," he said, adding that the candidates under consideration were mostly well known. "They've been vetted over their lifetime essentially. But very well known, highly respected, really talented people. And that's what we want for the FBI."

Critics have assailed Trump for abruptly dismissing Comey, who was leading the agency's investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, and possible ties between Moscow and the Trump presidential campaign.. Russia denies the claims and the White House says there was no collusion.

Democrats cast the decision to fire Comey as an effort to obstruct the FBI's probe, a charge the White House has denied.

While Democrats have called for an independent special counsel to investigate the Russia matter, most Republicans have said that is not necessary given the FBI probe and investigations in both the House and Senate.

White House officials initially said Trump acted on a Justice Department recommendation, but the president later said he would have fired Comey anyway, calling the former FBI chief a "showboat."

On Friday, Trump waded back into the FBI controversy, warning Comey against talking to the media and suggesting on Twitter there may be recordings of conversations between them.

'BE AN OUTSIDER'

Speaking on Saturday to about 50,000 people at Liberty University in Lynchburg, the nation's largest Christian college, Trump made no mention of Comey or the controversy his dismissal on Tuesday caused. It was Trump's first public event outside the White House since Comey's ouster.

A White House official has said Trump is considering 11 people to replace Comey. Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, Republican Senator John Cornyn, New York Appeals Court Judge Michael Garcia and former Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher will be interviewed on Saturday for the post, an administration official said.

The decision is subject to confirmation by the U.S. Senate, where Republicans have a majority.

At Liberty, Trump peppered his remarks with the kind of anti-establishment rhetoric that fueled his maverick presidential campaign, telling graduates to challenge "entrenched interests." He thanked the crowd for their support and repeatedly invoked his own unlikely election victory.

"Relish the opportunity to be an outsider," Trump said. "The more that a broken system tells you that you're wrong, the more certain you should be that you must keep pushing ahead."

He also had strong words that seemed aimed at critics of his administration.

"No one has ever achieved anything significant without a chorus of critics standing on the sidelines explaining why it can't be done," Trump said. "Nothing is easier or more pathetic than being a critic, because they're people that can't get the job done."

Liberty's president, Jerry Falwell, Jr., was a key early supporter of Trump during his campaign and helped rally support among religious conservatives.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-14

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"No one has ever achieved anything significant without a chorus of critics standing on the sidelines explaining why it can't be done," Trump said. "Nothing is easier or more pathetic than being a critic, because they're people that can't get the job done."

But Donald, you have been critical of Hilary, critical of Obama, critical of the Press, critical of Democrats, critical of some Republicans. In fact you have criticised just about everybody, yet now you tell us that being critical is pathetic. I guess that falls into the hypocritical bracket then.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

He is right on with this.

He won an election by proper process. But losers can not let him govern they criticize and do what ever possible to hamper him. It seems to me if the public thought some one else could do better he would not be in office.

I hope he gets done ,what must be done and all the critics will eat humble pie.

54 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

He won an election by proper process. But losers can not let him govern they criticize and do what ever possible to hamper him. It seems to me if the public thought some one else could do better he would not be in office.

"Losers cannot let him govern..."

That didn't stop Obama,or any number of other pres before him. Trump has a GOP congress and still can't manage to get his bills passed. Trump's problem in governimg isn't the losers standing in his way, the problem is his own mental instabilities and inadequecies. 

Edited by Rob13

58 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

He is right on with this.   He won an election by proper process. But losers can not let him govern they criticize and do what ever possible to hamper him. It seems to me if the public thought some one else could do better he would not be in office.  I hope he gets done ,what must be done and all the critics will eat humble pie.

".......by proper process" ?!?!  ummm yea, if you consider proper process getting an adversary country to intensely spread lies about your opponent.  

"losers can't let him govern......"    Oh, poor little Donald.  He got to power by lies and cheating, and has zero experience in politics, .....and his opponents won't let him govern.  Uh huh.   It's more like his tweeting little fingers and his anti-American sentiments won't let him govern.

"I hope he gets done ,what must be done....:"  I too would hope that.  Unfortunately, he's a stupid and mean-spirited man who is trying to do things to debilitate America, the environment, and international relations.  Hoping Trump will do right things, is like hoping a pedophile won't touch any kids when left alone on an overnight field trip with 40 little boys and girls, with a hot tub in the middle of the room.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Exactly how are "losers" not letting  him govern? Have they taken away the pen he uses to sign bills?

Back to the topic... this story is about choosing  replacement to lead the FBI.  Getting a top cop, and not a bureaucrat or politician etc.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/13/comeys-firing-is-a-gift-to-the-fbi/

excerpt:

So who should replace Comey? The rumor mills are already churning out names of the usual suspects: a judge (Michael J. Garcia), a prosecutor (Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher), a politician (Sen. John Cornyn of Texas), a veteran fed (Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe) and the Richmond FBI head (Adam Lee).

But the country doesn’t need another politician, jurist or prosecutor at the bureau. It needs someone dogged, determined, experienced, impartial and fearless. Someone sworn to protect and serve, who will follow the evidence wherever it leads and make the appropriate recommendations in the name of justice. Incorruptible and impartial.

In other words, a cop — the best one we have.

25 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Back to the topic... this story is about choosing  replacement to lead the FBI.  Getting a top cop, and not a bureaucrat or politician etc.

excerpt:

So who should replace Comey? The rumor mills are already churning out names of the usual suspects: a judge (Michael J. Garcia), a prosecutor (Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher), a politician (Sen. John Cornyn of Texas), a veteran fed (Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe) and the Richmond FBI head (Adam Lee).

But the country doesn’t need another politician, jurist or prosecutor at the bureau. It needs someone dogged, determined, experienced, impartial and fearless. Someone sworn to protect and serve, who will follow the evidence wherever it leads and make the appropriate recommendations in the name of justice. Incorruptible and impartial.

I think Alice Fisher

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

Thanks guys now i know how Trump feels  about being personally attacked when his criticisers have no other option.

You were personally attacked? Was any personal criticism directed at you in the criticism of your remarks? Or do you consider your remarks sacrosanct and exempt from unfavorable comment?

2 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Thanks guys now i know how Trump feels  about being personally attacked when his criticisers have no other option. or skills or intellect

And the rest of us know how his critics feel when their target has about as much grasp of the situation as a chimp with a Rubik's cube 

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Thanks guys now i know how Trump feels  about being personally attacked when his criticisers have no other option. or skills or intellect

Get used to it if planning to keep responding to any thread on TVF with Trump in the headline. Abuse is the standard response to any post not attacking Trump. That's all the Trump haters have and it's making it pointless going on any Trump related thread. I guess if they just keep shouting down any opposing opinion till no pro Trump person posts they think they have won.

Expect any person proposed by Trump, no matter how qualified to attract a tirade of abuse from the Trump haters. The danger is that the best suited may not agree to serve, as not wanting the whole Democrat propaganda news cabal to attack them and everyone connected to them. I wouldn't blame them.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Get used to it if planning to keep responding to any thread on TVF with Trump in the headline. Abuse is the standard response to any post not attacking Trump. That's all the Trump haters have and it's making it pointless going on any Trump related thread. I guess if they just keep shouting down any opposing opinion till no pro Trump person posts they think they have won.

Expect any person proposed by Trump, no matter how qualified to attract a tirade of abuse from the Trump haters. The danger is that the best suited may not agree to serve, as not wanting the whole Democrat propaganda news cabal to attack them and everyone connected to them. I wouldn't blame them.

"Expect any person proposed by Trump, no matter how qualified to attract a tirade of abuse from the Trump haters"

Uh huh. That's why Rosenstein, the deputy AG, was voted in by the Senate on a 94-6 vote.

Which just goes to show how, just like Trump, instead of taking responsibility for your errors, you blame those who point them out. Just recently you defended some of your  errors of fact as opinions and not subject to scrutiny.  And when I pointed that out, you just disappeared.  I don't ever recall you acknowledging error on any thread that I've looked at. Instead you just disappear sometimes with the rather unbrave comment that just because you're not commenting further doesn't mean you are conceding.

On another thread, somebody stated that they weren't participating at a particular juncture because he didn't know enough about the subject at hand.  You might do well to emulate his conduct.  Or your unfamiliarity with the facts will just keep on leading to strong rebuttals.

5 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

excerpt:

That doesn't bode well for Trump.

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I fear you are in a group of small and fast disappearing group of people who still cannot see that Trump is the biggest disaster ever to be elected into the White House.

22 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

what doesn't bode well...the list of possible replacements, or the fact someone may opt for a top cop as opined in the article?

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If you consider the list of candidates, it would seem a top cop isn't in the picture...

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

The trumpeeze refrain has shifted from 'Hilary lost, get over it'  to  'why you guys so mean to mean me' . Lol.

Edited by Rob13

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

"criticisers"? Is that a real word or are guys taking a clue from Trump and are making up Shi*:tongue:

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I fear you are in a group of small and fast disappearing group of people who still cannot see that Trump is the biggest disaster ever to be elected into the White House.

I would say you are wrong there, but it would certainly apply to the number of posters other than Trump haters that bother to post on any Trump related thread on TVF. So, once again, by attacking every poster that has an opinion not attacking Trump the Trump haters are left posting things that are only read by other Trump haters and the whole point of a forum as a place to have a discussion is lost.

I would point out that by dumping abuse on Trump at every opportunity and driving the other voices out of the discussion, the Trump haters don't "win" the argument, and actually harden the support for Trump, as most people don't like bullying.

There are many posters still on TVF,  but the ones on Trump threads are few, and always the same posters.

So, once again I'll not be participating on a thread and will leave it to the clique of Trump haters to chat among themselves.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would say you are wrong there, but it would certainly apply to the number of posters other than Trump haters that bother to post on any Trump related thread on TVF. So, once again, by attacking every poster that has an opinion not attacking Trump the Trump haters are left posting things that are only read by other Trump haters and the whole point of a forum as a place to have a discussion is lost.

I would point out that by dumping abuse on Trump at every opportunity and driving the other voices out of the discussion, the Trump haters don't "win" the argument, and actually harden the support for Trump, as most people don't like bullying.

There are many posters still on TVF,  but the ones on Trump threads are few, and always the same posters.

So, once again I'll not be participating on a thread and will leave it to the clique of Trump haters to chat among themselves.

Support for Trump is hardened as most people dont like bullying.

Want to repeat that out loud and still think it makes sense?

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for posting something that perfectly exemplifies what I said in the previous post.

Are you saying anti Trump people on TVF DON'T post hatred of Trump? It is in almost every reply.

"So, once again I'll not be participating on a thread and will leave it to the clique of Trump haters to chat among themselves."

I think that what you mean by "not participating on a thread" doesn't correspond to what most people would mean by that.