Facebook faces imminent shutdown in Thailand: Report

webfact

14 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Except for the fact that using a VPN to access blocked content is illegal.

For practical reasons, that is useless and non-enforceable.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jimster said:

I believe there was massive opposition to the single gateway you describe, I thought this proposal has been abandoned?

Yes the subs were abandoned to sorry shelved and then dusted off and stamped "PAID"

It will never happen , it was just some Thai officials talking on Friday , another silly idea , another threat that will never happen . You can all relax.  

I would have welcomed it though. just as an experiment to see how Thais would react .

Edited by balo

7 minutes ago, balo said:

It will never happen , it was just some Thai officials talking on Friday , another silly idea , another threat that will never happen . You can all relax.  

I would have welcomed it though. just as an experiment to see how Thais would react .

There would be a slight panic and then the guys at MBK would get rich installing mobile vpn on phones. The closest enterprising print shop would get a little side business printing signs that say "we fiks fatebook"

Edited by anotheruser

Thailand is has one of the worlds largest penetration of Facebook per capita in the world. More people visit FB per capita in Thailand than most other countries. Siam Paragon was the worlds most visited place on Instagram in 2015 - ahead of Times Square in NYC and so many of the worlds most visited locations. 

I doubt they will shut it down.

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Funny how people say Thai people. Have you been to other countries lately? It is the same everywhere. 

Yes but the thread is about facebook Thailand so posters are going on about Thai people's probable reaction.

Don't be a snowflake.

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Yes but the thread is about facebook Thailand so posters are going on about Thai people's probable reaction.

Don't be a snowflake.

I think it is more because many Thais use Facebook to block out the creepy farang next to them on the subway that annoys some posters. Imagine some old creep leaning over you so close he can read what you are doing on your phone.

But I guess I am just being a snowflake.

Edited by anotheruser

9 minutes ago, Na Lee said:

Luckely i have VPN

Please don't discuss using a VPN to bypass government blocks. Of course since FB isn't blocked (at least not yet) you can mention VPNs.

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

Only via the APP

A lot of mega news organizations are picking up the story and showing the images which will most likely mean lots more papers being blocked.

or just look at the daily mail facebook page :)

58 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Except for the fact that using a VPN to access blocked content is illegal. So your evil  plan has already been foiled. :)

To abide by the laws of this great country, I prefer to do things legally, such as reading Daily Mail via the app.

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Quit teasing us where are you going on this?? 

Have a look for yourself using one of those internet thingies or app or whatever.

i would elucidate further but washing my"crop top "