Facebook faces imminent shutdown in Thailand: Report

webfact

The current government appears to overlook an important feature of adverse publicity. By far the best way of drawing attention to it is to try and ban it!

Now, thousands of people who weren't even aware of this controversial exposea, will now be scrambling around the internet trying to find out what all the fuss is about.

And it's not very difficult to find as I've just proven. Even with my VPN switched off!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't forget whatever is the fad in the West then +10 years for thailand. Whereas most people have already stopped using Facebook the thais are not at peak usage yet. It's the same with the mlms and Amway scams, they seem to only catch up 10 years after!

23 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Nearly all have LINE. They can do anything there that can be do on FB only everybody else cannot see.Not such a bad thing i say.

And they could see what was going on on FB and monitor but they cannot monitor everyone LINE.

But what when the same things being shared/done on all other SM?

They will soon realise the only way they can stop all this 100% is just close the internet alltogether

No, this is wrong. My wife frequently picks up jobs from Facebook for my son, and sometimes for me. One example is Hitachi who took his picture and gave him 100,000 baht.

There are a lot of people using Facebook for business - and if it goes down I'm not sure what platform can replace this network of contacts (built up over the last 5 years).

I frequently advocate always duplicating contacts (i.e. a contact in Line also in Facebook, Facebook Messenger contacts also need phone numbers/emails added to enable other network options) - yet people are just too busy getting on with stuff and not worrying. 

It's not just them that get hurt.

The 'resolution' here seems reasonably predictable. Since there's no way the government can shut down Facebook... they won't. They will back down while insisting that they've won and pretend that they've 'protected' the Thai people from terrible danger. Facebook will play the "Face" game and maybe sacrifice an item or two. Otherwise they'll probably say little or nothing. Then it will all go away and it will be hard to know just what happened.

Edited by Hayduke

In the past 10 days, there have been many more articles in the "foreign" media about a FB video taken in a public German mall than in the last year.

The Thai govt have made a blunder by issuing threats, just to ingratiate themselves with the "Institution".

Shooting the messenger, a global behemoth, is never a good strategy.

If only they had just been silent - no-one outside Thailand cares what happens here, and there would have been very few articles in the foreign media.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would like to see Facebook shut down here, just to witness the aftermath. I can see Thais running around like headless chickens.

Not going to happen tough. Even this Government isn't that stupid.

"Not that stupid "- wouldn't bet on it. 

10 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

It's amazing 20 years after the internet and parents still don't realize that their offspring only ever look cute to them. The rest of us don't give a shit, and I say that as an uncle.

Maybe this applies to you. It doesn't apply to my son. He looks cute to others, and some of those others contact us and pay stupid money for him to do an hour's work... Right now he's the middle boy in the Swenson TV advertisement.

There maybe a million bad things about Facebook, but there are another million good things, and many of those are important to people and probably irreplaceable.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would like to see Facebook shut down here, just to witness the aftermath. I can see Thais running around like headless chickens.

totally agree would be fun; not so sure about the 'isnt that stupid' part; they sure say and do things that challenge that

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

The thing is that it isn't just Thais. The fact people are online on social media talking about Thais and their internet obsession, seems to be an irony lost on many.

The single gateway was abandoned as far as I know. However if they do ban FB (which I highly doubt) it is a slippery slope leaning towards putting the gateway in place. this proposal won't work because Thailand can not enforce it's laws on the global community at large. In this sense it would be easier for the junta to make a single gateway.

You mean the fact that WE'RE on social media talking about the Thai internet obsession. YOU and the rest of us.

Your attitude seems a bit like the old Tonto to the Lone Ranger joke "What d'ya mean WE paleface?".

Thailand is something like 3rd in the world in active users on a daily basis of facebook. Thais don't mind a lot of things, but take away their facebook, and there may be a lot of repercussions....

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I bet they wouldn't be running around as much as a lot of TVF posters if TV got shut down 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

"Even this Government isn't that stupid".  Isn't it?

6 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Funny how people say Thai people. Have you been to other countries lately? It is the same everywhere. 

Yes, but this is about Thailand. I don't think anyone had commented that it is only in Thailand where people are addicted.

I wouldn't worry. The government issues proclamations on a weekly basis and then does absolutely nothing. No alcohol to be sold near schools, strictly enforcing the law about riding in the back of pickups etc. Last week it was supposed to be fining motorcyclists who ride the wrong way/on the sidewalk/without helmets. Next week it will be something else. Pissing off nearly everyone in Thailand, as well as businesses that use FB as customer contact, would cause a revolution.

5 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Don't shut down FB! It will force peoeple to talk to each other! You know, when you are in face of someone, and you don't have Facebook to shy away from the ankwardness of social contact? What a torture!

And stop printing newspapers and magazines, shutdown radio stations and TV stations as well? And to hell with businesses (who employ people) who use social media?  NAH - not smart thinking. 

7 hours ago, pookiki said:

Even if Facebook complies with the junta's request, does the junta think the problem won't resurface? It will be an ongoing problem for which there will be no solution that is satisfactory to the junta other than a total block.

Actually, anyone still living in 1969 might think so, yes.

ROFLMAO

It's all over. Poor little Prayut said something like 'we don't have the authority to shut it down so we'll ask other people to block it for us...'

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315396

The interesting phrase is 'content deemed insulting'.

So if they catch a picture of someone with pink shoes - that's offensive, outlaw that one! Only allow ones with shiny black shoes!

I'm slightly confused by The Sun's report saying that the big man wants them prosecuted, so Prayut is simply following instructions?