Joys of Banking in Thailand.

I have had an account with Bangkok bank since I have been her which is nearly 4 years now. My account is with the Panthip Plaza Branch in Chiang Mai. 

Coming up to my retirement extension so need the 800,000 in the bank. Aussie $ to baht exchange rate is low at the moment so thought about opening Foreign Currency Account. Checked with my immigration agent and was told I could use for immigration requirements as long as the $aud was equivalent was more that the 800,000 requirement.

Went to the Panthip Branch to enquire. Was told I needed this>

• Passport and one of the following documents:

3.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:

- Embassy or international organization
    - Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    - Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government
      officer or company executive
    - Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    - Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the 
      process of getting a work permit; OR

3.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium

Enquired to as what 3.1 really wanted. Lady in bank said my passport and lease agreement ok. So yesterday rolled up to Panthip Branch with all necessary paperwork. Sorry we don't do FCAs here, you will have to goto Tapaie Branch. Not far away but very hot walk.

Rolled up there, told them what I wanted and gave my passport, current bankbook and lease agreement. Was told lease no good. I need proof of address from immigration. I said that all they do is look at lease and type letter with that address and charge me. So the I asked about my current account where I had transferred heaps from Oz already so was is that not enough? So she took my bankbook and started looking through it. This is Panthip Branch account she says, you will need to open one here. So I asked was  this the Bangkok Bank of Thailand or the Bangkok Bank of Panthp, Tapaie etc. Just got blank look.  So just picked up my stuff and said I will open at another bank and left.

Now I get off my soapbox and hand over to the trolls.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, xvend said:

exactly why they gave you a hard time. google it my friend, I'm not your personal assistant. 

jib1
jib/
noun

1. 1
    SAILING
    a triangular staysail set forward of the forwardmost mast.
  2. 2
    the projecting arm of a crane.

Yep, thats me

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

jib1
jib/
noun

1. 1
    SAILING
    a triangular staysail set forward of the forwardmost mast.
  2. 2
    the projecting arm of a crane.

Yep, thats me

In the early 1700's the cut of the jib sail, often signified the nationality of a vessel. The term was being used figureatively by the 1800's to express like, or dislike for someone. So, the 'Cut of one's jib' refers to their general appearance of personality.

An old expression showing a general dislike for somebody.

Just now, xvend said:

In the early 1700's the cut of the jib sail, often signified the nationality of a vessel. The term was being used figureatively by the 1800's to express like, or dislike for someone. So, the 'Cut of one's jib' refers to their general appearance of personality.

I don't like your jib

Not waste to much time or space, I have been banking with Bangkok Bank for over ten years and recently needed to open a new account. Went to my main branch and was told I needed a letter from my embassy stating my address. I showed my Tabien Baan for poof of residence as well as drivers license and Thai pink ID card. They still wanted the embassy letter so I left. Came back the next day and got another clerk, he asked for my passport, Tabien Baan and savings account book. New account opened without anything else, who can figure. 

Edited by asiaexpat

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

welcome to Thailand .....   It pays to be polite, smile and gesture .....  then you will have plenty of success.

And who says I wasn't? I did get unpolite at the end when they kept giving me the run around.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

welcome to Thailand .....   It pays to be polite, smile and gesture .....  then you will have plenty of success.

hmm, I have the exact opposite experience... I always start super friendly, nice, smiling and get "no can't" "not possible" aka translation (I'AM LAZY SH.T SO LET ME ALONE)

Then I get pissed off because I know they "can" and my chance of success increases dramatically

OP and Trolls aside.

Banking is frustrating here I agree.  My original account was with a KBank branch in Bangkok, we now live in ChiangMai and if I ever need something changed or updated on my KBank account ... I have to go to the branch I opened the account at.  Never mind we don't live in Bangkok anymore.   My wife (Thai) and I both have Bangkok Bank accounts in ChiangMai, but its the same issue ... anything more than taking or depositing money requires going to the branch the account was opened at.  It does frustrate me and even my wife doesn't understand why a branch refuses to service an account they didn't open.

Then again, to be fair, this practice of branch managers "making up rules" as they feel ... allowed me to open my original KBank account with just my passport and "tourist visa/stamp" years ago ... when some branches wouldn't.

As others have said .... TIT.  (Don't get me started on the fact I spent all day yesterday trying to buy a proper raincoat for my daughter and son, and all I could find was the silly trash can ponchos ... when it rains everyday for 1/2 the year!)

2 hours ago, 11223344 said:

hmm, I have the exact opposite experience... I always start super friendly, nice, smiling and get "no can't" "not possible" aka translation (I'AM LAZY SH.T SO LET ME ALONE)

Then I get pissed off because I know they "can" and my chance of success increases dramatically

I use this approach at times myself, although have to be careful to use it only when my wife isn't around.

34 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

OP and Trolls aside.

Banking is frustrating here I agree.  My original account was with a KBank branch in Bangkok, we now live in ChiangMai and if I ever need something changed or updated on my KBank account ... I have to go to the branch I opened the account at.  Never mind we don't live in Bangkok anymore.   My wife (Thai) and I both have Bangkok Bank accounts in ChiangMai, but its the same issue ... anything more than taking or depositing money requires going to the branch the account was opened at.  It does frustrate me and even my wife doesn't understand why a branch refuses to service an account they didn't open.

Then again, to be fair, this practice of branch managers "making up rules" as they feel ... allowed me to open my original KBank account with just my passport and "tourist visa/stamp" years ago ... when some branches wouldn't.

As others have said .... TIT.  (Don't get me started on the fact I spent all day yesterday trying to buy a proper raincoat for my daughter and son, and all I could find was the silly trash can ponchos ... when it rains everyday for 1/2 the year!)

My original account was with Bangkok Bank at  patong Beach, Phuket branch because I had some timeshare down there. Had just under 2000 in in and never used after moved to CM and opened account here. On a hose move I misplaced the ATM card and bankbook. I reported them missing and the bank blocked them. Since then I found the book only.

Last year I made a trip to Patong beach so took book with me. Went to Bank and asked the have the balance transferred to my CM account. Cant do, book blocked. OK i understand and explained that I had found book and wish to transfer the balance and close. Cant have to get police report. I say what to report I found the book I thought I had lost. Nope, need police report. Ok, I will goto Patong Police. Nope. need to go CM police. I politely told them that CM was over a 1000km away and I would not be back in Phuket for some time, maybe years. Thats how is has to be done. 

BTW, what do you mean by OP and Trolls aside?

2 hours ago, 11223344 said:

Maybe I should try that, politeness, as some suggest I should do does not work often.

17 hours ago, xvend said:

A "jib" was the name given in Bermuda for the national formal wear for men, which constituted bermuda shorts (almost to the knee), a white shirt, blazer, knee high socks and leather shoes. THe "cut of your jib" might have referred to how your dressed. 

1 hour ago, kurtmartens said:

OP and Trolls aside.

" My original account was with a K Bank branch in Bangkok, we now live in Chiang Mai and if I ever need something changed or updated on my K Bank account ... I have to go to the branch I opened the account at.  Never mind we don't live in Bangkok anymore.   My wife (Thai) and I both have Bangkok Bank accounts in Chiang Mai, but its the same issue ... anything more than taking or depositing money requires going to the branch the account was opened at. "

There is a way around going back to the original branch to close your account. Withdraw all but 20 baht from said account at any branch. Open a new account with your funds at the branch of your choice. With only 20 baht in the account & no action for 6 months or so, you'll get a letter from original branch telling you your account has been closed due to minimal funds on deposit nil transactions.

Problem solved.

What they probably failed to tell you if you cancel any Thai bank account they will not open a new one now without a work permit! I was told that by several Thai Banks this year that I have done business with for 11 years.

Even with a retirement visa extension which I've had for years.

Another surprise is you are forbidden to wire funds out of Thailand unless you can prove the funds were wired in!   More and more banks are now enforcing that. 

Now you know why It's hard to find expats that lived here for many years in Bangkok and why business owners are no longer smiling.

After 11 years living here, all my expats friends left.

And, most of the Thai lady friends I've had for many years have left Bangkok and returned to their provinces in Thailand. Several this week in fact!

The herd is thinning my friend. 

Edited by Kabula

6 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Not waste to much time or space, I have been banking with Bangkok Bank for over ten years and recently needed to open a new account. Went to my main branch and was told I needed a letter from my embassy stating my address. I showed my Tabien Baan for poof of residence as well as drivers license and Thai pink ID card. They still wanted the embassy letter so I left. Came back the next day and got another clerk, he asked for my passport, Tabien Baan and savings account book. New account opened without anything else, who can figure. 

They all make up their own rules, even in the same branch. This is Thailand.

You need to understand that there are anti money laundering regulations which require reporting for to the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) B800,000 or equivalent requires special reporting, mainly for "America World Police" benefit. You could have brought the money into your account in smaller amounts to avoid this problem. If you must have a foreign currency account, then you have to go to your Bank's international Branch.

23 minutes ago, Kabula said:

What they probably failed to tell you if you cancel any Thai bank account they will not open a new one now without a work permit! I was told that by several Thai Banks this year that I have done business with for 11 years.

Even with a retirement visa extension which I've had for years.

Another surprise is you are forbidden to wire funds out of Thailand unless you can prove the funds were wired in!   More and more banks are now enforcing that. 

Now you know why It's hard to find expats that lived here for many years in Bangkok and why business owners are no longer smiling.

After 11 years living here, all my expats friends left.

And, most of the Thai lady friends I've had for many years have left Bangkok and returned to their provinces in Thailand. Several this week in fact!

The herd is thinning my friend. 

Convinced Prayut or some one up top wants us Farang gone. Things getting harder every day. Hope they (we) all go back and see what happens to the economy. Only the Cheap Charlie Bogan tourists come and spend SFA.

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Convinced Prayut or some one up top wants us Farang gone. Things getting harder every day. Hope they (we) all go back and see what happens to the economy. Only the Cheap Charlie Bogan tourists come and spend SFA.

Why does 8 out of 10 posts end up sounding like everyone is bitter and unhappy about living in Thailand?!  Always free to go back to our home countries .... 

"So she took my bankbook and started looking through it. This is Panthip Branch account she says, you will need to open one here. So I asked was  this the Bangkok Bank of Thailand or the Bangkok Bank of Panthp, Tapaie etc"

Been there.  I feel your pain.  I don't know any other country that I've been to where branches of a major bank act as those individual branches are separate banks in their own right.  But that's how they act here.  Very frustrating.  And totally stupid.  

14 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Why does 8 out of 10 posts end up sounding like everyone is bitter and unhappy about living in Thailand?!  Always free to go back to our home countries .... 

And if I did not have a couple commitments here I would.

4 hours ago, 11223344 said:

Yes you certainly seem the non arrogant polite type

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

And if I did not have a couple commitments here I would.

It wasn't a dig at just you, it was a dig at most of us.  We all feel the pain of what we think are "silly/stupid/asinine" rules, but bottom line its not our country.  I am sure expats who move to our respective countries find things the same as we do here at times.  Just look at my raincoat rant earlier today.  All in all though, I call Thailand home and prefer it over my own home country.

Surely if you have 800000 baht in a Thai bank account - no matter what exchange rate is you still have 800000  baht left in your Thai bank account -  if am thinking correctly from the posts - each year they convert to account holders currency from  their home country and then convert back to baht - or am I missing something