Joys of Banking in Thailand.

1 hour ago, humqdpf said:

A "jib" was the name given in Bermuda for the national formal wear for men, which constituted bermuda shorts (almost to the knee), a white shirt, blazer, knee high socks and leather shoes. THe "cut of your jib" might have referred to how your dressed. 

Well, you learn something new every day, and there was me thinking it was an old Navy expression.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

It wasn't a dig at just you, it was a dig at most of us.  We all feel the pain of what we think are "silly/stupid/asinine" rules, but bottom line its not our country.  I am sure expats who move to our respective countries find things the same as we do here at times.  Just look at my raincoat rant earlier today.  All in all though, I call Thailand home and prefer it over my own home country.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I guess I am too pedantic about people doing the right thing by others. Was the same in my country.

18 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

Surely if you have 800000 baht in a Thai bank account - no matter what exchange rate is you still have 800000  baht left in your Thai bank account -  if am thinking correctly from the posts - each year they convert to account holders currency from  their home country and then convert back to baht - or am I missing something 

I have always transferred my Aussie dollars and appear in my Thai bank as Baht. The exchange rate is poor right now so wanted to open foreign currency account so that the Aussie dollars I transfer stay in Thailand as Aussie dollars. I checked with my immigration agent and was told as long as the equivalent of my Aussie dollars in Thai baht does not fall below 800,000 then that qualifies for my retirement extension. Then when and if the dollar to baht exchange rate improves i can transfer my Aussie dollars to my everyday account where it is converted to baht.

Hope that explains it.

2 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Then again, to be fair, this practice of branch managers "making up rules" as they feel ... allowed me to open my original KBank account with just my passport and "tourist visa/stamp" years ago ... when some branches wouldn't.

This appears to be the case with Kbank. My account is in Samui but I went to the local branch here for the letter for the retirement extension. They did not know what I was talking about so showed them a copy from Samui for the previous extension. It took them nearly an hour and 3 staff to produce the letter but they suceeded with no problems.

I have my Bangkok Bank account at the main branch on Silom but have since moved to Kalasin. My passbook is now full and when I go to my local branch to renew it I am 100 percent certain they will tell me I have to make a 1400 km round trip to Bangkok to do it, and they will say it with a straight face.

If I want to transfer my account to my local branch they will then tell me "Cannot". I will have to close one account and open another, and then as a foreigner they will throw a hundred obstacles in my way, such as demanding a work permit (I am more or less retired).

I've banked with Bangkok Bank since 2002.  Basically, I find them to be a bunch of incompetent idiots, with absolutely no exceptions.  Anything that I want to do seems to be a problem for them.

When I started working in Myanmar, I went to the local bank to open an account. I have never met bank staff (all of them) who couldn't do enough to help me.  Whilst doing the paperwork for my account (no work permit or any other document needed except for my passport), they plied me with tea, cookies and a free umbrella.

I visit my Myanmar bank every month to deposit my salary or to top up my top-up Visa card that they issued to me. It's like a party each time as they encourage me to eat more of their chocolates and to allow them to practice their English with me.

Bangkok Bank - you could learn a few things about how to treat your customers by visiting AYA Bank in Myanmar.

Was at the bank yesterday due to the ATM machine telling me my pin was incorrect and kept my card..... So no problem I will go and get another at any Bangkok Bank branch - I have done this before. Well, the old passport expired and while I have renewed that passport I no longer use it here. I used that passport when I was working, and I have switched to a different passport for my marriage visa.

The Bangkok branch at the Exchange building would not give me an ATM card. I have had the account with them for 19 years. My original branch is SeeYan. Anyway, I showed them the old passport that they have on file and the new passport which replaced it. However because this passport does not have my current visa stamp in it, they say - no ATM possible. So I asked if I brought in my other passport would I be able to show the visa to them and get an ATM.

"I am sorry sir, you must go back to your original branch and show them the different passport". We cannot accept it here.

I actually felt sorry for the ladies that were talking to me as they wanted to help, but the head office said they could not.

I told them not to worry I have other bank accounts here in Thailand and I would simply stop using the Bangkok Bank ATM. The internet banking still works, so it should not affect me. I will also go to another branch and see if a different person, can just give me an ATM card......it should be possible. I will update if it is.

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I've banked with Bangkok Bank since 2002.  Basically, I find them to be a bunch of incompetent idiots, with absolutely no exceptions.  Anything that I want to do seems to be a problem for them.

Agree 99.99%, the only reason I stay with them is they have a office in NYC which makes transfers from my account in the US show up same day.

Not sure if this was covered, but most of the time, different branches of the bank do not work together. I assumed they might be independently owned, but we all must learn this and go through it. 

Also, rather than complain about walking on a hot day to Thapae Gate, why not spend 20 baht for a songthaew... or take a tuk tuk and then you can complain about that...

And maybe you can come to a very simple understanding that foreign countries are not all the same as Australia... they have different ways of doing things and a different language... it will help you be more tolerant if you don't expect everything to be the same as your home... and maybe focus on the positive aspects, like your rent and food is probably cheaper here... 

good luck...  

Banks and their employees seem to be stuck between the modern age and this caveman, provincial mindset.  Ironically, for me, dealing with Immigration has been a breeze compared to the banks at times.

Some of the rules are chiseled in stone but for some of the common hang ups, long as you don't lose your cool, can generally persuade bank employees to pull their head out, make a few calls, and learn something new about their job.  And after that lackluster performance, they have the cheek to impart unsolicited, highly competent investment advice; usually involving a more expensive ATM card, or some lame ass insurance scheme. 

I tell them no thanks, my financial advisor is Pii Lek, the noodle lady at the market, but if she's busy with another client, her teenage son, Panya the petrol pumper at PTT, fills in.  :laugh:

Edited by 55Jay

14 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Also, rather than complain about walking on a hot day to Thapae Gate, why not spend 20 baht for a songthaew... or take a tuk tuk and then you can complain about that...

Did I complain? I just said not far but very hot walk. But I keep forgetting many posters on here know more than I do about me.

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Not sure if this was covered, but most of the time, different branches of the bank do not work together. I assumed they might be independently owned, but we all must learn this and go through it. 

And maybe you can come to a very simple understanding that foreign countries are not all the same as Australia... they have different ways of doing things and a different language... it will help you be more tolerant if you don't expect everything to be the same as your home... and maybe focus on the positive aspects, like your rent and food is probably cheaper here... 

good luck...  

I would also add that maybe you should avoid the bank 800K issue, and get a witnessed/stamped stat dec from the Aust Embassy and use that to prove your annual income is over the required amount - that is what I did last time. Aus Embassy does an outreach to CM every 3 months or so - check their website. See seperate post/OP on the issue for details - it started last year I think.

PS - I also recommend that you have minimum of two bank accounts in Thailand  (eggs in a basket and all that).

1 minute ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I would also add that maybe you should avoid the bank 800K issue, and get a witnessed/stamped stat dec from the Aust Embassy and use that to prove your annual income is over the required amount - that is what I did last time. Aus Embassy does an outreach to CM every 3 months or so - check their website. See seperate post/OP on the issue for details - it started last year I think.

PS - I also recommend that you have minimum of two bank accounts in Thailand  (eggs in a basket and all that).

I don't have an income as such, just some interest which is not enough to qualify. Just live off capital.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have my Bangkok Bank account at the main branch on Silom but have since moved to Kalasin […] If I want to transfer my account to my local branch they will then tell me "Cannot". I will have to close one account and open another, and then as a foreigner they will throw a hundred obstacles in my way, such as demanding a work permit (I am more or less retired).

I opened with Krungthai on Silom but has since moved to Chiang Mai.

It wasn’t a problem for me to just open a new account with the Chiang Mai branch and transfer the funds via netbank to this new account.

Though I kept the Silom account so that I have an ATM card in Bangkok without inter-region fees, and I also use this account for all my periodic payments (automatic debit and subscriptions), so it’s easier to find these entries.

Dazinoz,

the fools at most Thai banks cannot make any decisions, they are afraid of making a mistake so better to do nothing than risk getting something wrong.

The cretins at my branch (SCB) had to phone their head office about 5 times to ask how to set up an automated transfer - monthly - like a direct debit, from my account to my wife's while I was working away.

After I came back, they took almost 3 weeks to cancel it as they didn't understand how to close it.

Absolutely useless.

Sometimes it is like banging your head against a very big brick wall)

I've had similar issues with inexplicably dumb and unhelpful managers at banks...

SCB next to J Avenue - I wanted to withdrawer 50,000 baht... I went into the Bank, they wanted Bankbook and Passport.

I had my Bankbook, work-permit expired passport, Drivers license and Letter from the Embassy saying that my passport is under renewal.... Cannot !!! need valid Passport !!!... Ai-yaaa... got them to call up head office, manager spoke with head office, I spoke with head office, head office said it was ok...  Manager still said, cannot !!!!.... Grrr...  

I went outside and made the 3 necessary withdrawals instead (2x20k and 1x10k).... 

Some people are so scared to make a mistake their first and only course of action is to do nothing....  this was one of those guys, the only thing to do is move along unless the issue is worth becoming frustrated over. 

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Did I complain? I just said not far but very hot walk. But I keep forgetting many posters on here know more than I do about me.

Yes, your entire post sounds like a complaint... What do you think it sounds like?

I think any one of us has had mix ups at banks, both here and at home... I surely have but would never consider posting about it on an internet forum...

A walk can be pleasant, lovely, all sorts of nice words - - you chose "very hot" which sounds like you did not get much joy from it... A self aware person might realize it is very hot for them and take a taxi... 

If you think your post is full of the joys of life, then maybe you are right and others can glean more from your post than you know of yourself... lacking self awareness seems to be neck and neck with cultural insensitivity... 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've had similar issues with inexplicably dumb and unhelpful managers at banks...

SCB next to J Avenue - I wanted to withdrawer 50,000 baht... I went into the Bank, they wanted Bankbook and Passport.

I had my Bankbook, work-permit expired passport, Drivers license and Letter from the Embassy saying that my passport is under renewal.... Cannot !!! need valid Passport !!!... Ai-yaaa... got them to call up head office, manager spoke with head office, I spoke with head office, head office said it was ok...  Manager still said, cannot !!!!.... Grrr...  

I went outside and made the 3 necessary withdrawals instead (2x20k and 1x10k).... 

Some people are so scared to make a mistake their first and only course of action is to do nothing....  this was one of those guys, the only thing to do is move along unless the issue is worth becoming frustrated over. 

I read about the pro's and con's of Thai banking. It seems to me that people forget that you can just walk into your bank and get a new ATM card for 100 baht and its instant. Back in my other life, i would have had to wait 5/7 days for the card and 10 if you wanted a new pin.I have to take my hat off to the Thai banking system in that area. There is no fannying about.But i guess it all depend who you are with. I once lost my ATM card, with a very popular bank here.I called the call centre to stop the card, and i was in the bank at the time. The guy on the phone told me i could get a replacement for 100b. Upon going to the counter, the girl told me it was 300 baht. I asked her 3 times, and she told me 300b three times. The manager had seen me speaking to the call centre and he rushed over to me at the desk and told the girl had made a mistake. I Said "what? three times" i got the card for 100b. Now,in any European country,That girl would have immediately lost her job for fraudulent gain., but not here. They are all in it for a few quid. This is the part that sickens me about the Thai banking system.

9 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, your entire post sounds like a complaint... What do you think it sounds like?

I think any one of us has had mix ups at banks, both here and at home... I surely have but would never consider posting about it on an internet forum...

A walk can be pleasant, lovely, all sorts of nice words - - you chose "very hot" which sounds like you did not get much joy from it... A self aware person might realize it is very hot for them and take a taxi... 

If you think your post is full of the joys of life, then maybe you are right and others can glean more from your post than you know of yourself... lacking self awareness seems to be neck and neck with cultural insensitivity... 

I think that the way you have berated this poster, tells me that you are still prancing through the daisy fields of "oh so happy to be here" Wait a few years and see if your attitude doesn't change.

11 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

ok

Edited by Dazinoz
change

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

BTW where do you buy the rose coloured glasses from?

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

i got the card for 100b. Now,in any European country,That girl would have immediately lost her job for fraudulent gain., but not here. They are all in it for a few quid. This is the part that sickens me about the Thai banking system.

There is normally a 100 baht re-issue fee, and the cards normally start at 200 baht, it seems likely that this person thought you had to pay for the new card (200 baht) and the re-issue fee (100 baht).

3 minutes ago, lkn said:

There is normally a 100 baht re-issue fee, and the cards normally start at 200 baht, it seems likely that this person thought you had to pay for the new card (200 baht) and the re-issue fee (100 baht).

No such luck, oh, enlightened one. this bank states that a replacement card is 100b. I explained from the beginning that i wanted a replacement card. The girl insisted that it was 300 baht. Why did the manager rush to her aid, and explain to me that she had made a mistake 3 times? I made the call to the call centre c in the bank, for gods sake.Can t be any plainer than that.

25 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Please don't use big words. I am not very smart. Obviously all I can do is complain. And Thailand is perfect.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:07 AM, Dazinoz said:

So just picked up my stuff and said I will open at another bank and left.

Before you go to another bank, I suggest you check out the requirements on their website so you are properly prepared, possibly print out the Thai version of their page, should you run into problems.

Also check which branches can do foreign currency deposit accounts, for example Bangkok Bank has a list on their website which does not include the Panthip Plaza branch (but there is one on both Changklan and Sridonchai Road, not that far from Panthip Plaza).

Furthermore, my theory for why foreigners often have so many problems in Thai banks is because the Thai staff are just not that well versed in English, so they may misunderstand and answer the question they thought was asked, or they might tell something is not possible, because they find it too complex to explain how it should be done.

Of course there are also some clerks that may say something is not possible because they do not know how to do it, but in my five years of doing banking in Thailand, the only “mai dai” I have run into, was trying to raise my netbank transfer limit with Krungsri, here they actually called up head office, so they could have a person with fluent English repeat to me, that this is indeed not possible.

6 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

No such luck, oh, enlightened one. this bank states that a replacement card is 100b. I explained from the beginning that i wanted a replacement card. The girl insisted that it was 300 baht. Why did the manager rush to her aid, and explain to me that she had made a mistake 3 times? I made the call to the call centre c in the bank, for gods sake.Can t be any plainer than that.

I didn’t mean to say you should have paid 300 baht, simply that the chance of this girl just having misinterpreted the fees and made a mistake, rather than in kahoot with the manager to scam you for 200 baht, is the more likely explanation, and she should not have been fired.

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Please don't use big words. I am not very smart. Obviously all I can do is complain. And Thailand is perfect.

I may not agree with what you complain about. But i will defend until death, your right to complain.