Rats

pumpjack

HORROR !!!      nearly  stepped on massive dead rat this morning,    thai guy started laughing at me when i jumped like a gazelle 3 ft into the air.             cant thai government issue homes & businesses with plastic wheely bins as in europe.        i do not agree with western people implementing their ways on thailand but surely its a health hazard which needs to be addressed.         hau hin is also absolutely crawling with rats as is khao san road you cannot walk out from your hotel within  5 minutes you will see them everywhere.

im terrified of them ......ex wife loved them barbequed  lol   incidentally the bin men must be coming down with diseases as i see them hoking through the bags on back of bin lorries,  we all know that there is excretetment  on tissue paper in these bags from hotels & guesthouse toilets.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read (a long time ago in the UK) that you're rarely further than one metre away from a rat.

I'm not at all frightened of them - in fact quite like them, as long as the wild variety don't come into the house.  But I know people that are very frightened of them - for their own reasons that escape me.

I understand the health issues involved, but not the 'terrified on seeing a rat'!

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I read (a long time ago in the UK) that you're rarely further than one metre away from a rat.

I'm not at all frightened of them - in fact quite like them, as long as the wild variety don't come into the house.  But I know people that are very frightened of them - for their own reasons that escape me.

I understand the health issues involved, but not the 'terrified on seeing a rat'!

Guessing your name ain't Winston Smith, then.

19 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Want to get rid of rats maybe ask.Alberta Canada. There are none in province. If one is found its a big deal.

all you need here is a sub zero winter of 4 months and the problem is solved. ask Canada. 

field rats are not a problem, one would think.

city rats are. their main predator are snakes. that is why we often see HUGE snakes in thai cities. 

with all the street shops pouring food and such down drains the rats get home delivery. 

rats are a fact of life, like cockroaches ... in the tropics. also ants. 

you can do what you can but it is also useful to develop a level of acceptance. 

There was a post here a week or two ago about how Thai women are like cats. Perhaps he haa a few suggestions for you.  We live on a farm and have one cat and 6 dogs.  I only see rats in the cities and on the vacant land beside one sex hotel near here. Truly,  I only drive past the place. No rats on our land but a few snakes.

Edited by The Deerhunter

both our cars have the sticky rat traps by each wheel and in under the bonnet today we got one big rat caught in the sticky stuff still alive.

Expensive if the get into the wiring or anything plastic they love to eat in the car engine

6 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

all you need here is a sub zero winter of 4 months and the problem is solved. ask Canada. 

field rats are not a problem, one would think.

city rats are. their main predator are snakes. that is why we often see HUGE snakes in thai cities. 

with all the street shops pouring food and such down drains the rats get home delivery. 

rats are a fact of life, like cockroaches ... in the tropics. also ants. 

you can do what you can but it is also useful to develop a level of acceptance. 

It wasn't cold weather as there are rats in provinces that get cold too. They just eradicate all the rats in a campaign years ago.

We do have rats around as just about everywhere does luckilybenough we have 3 +10 (+10 strays but adopted us live outsidevthe property) dogs and they all just love a nice rat chase and feed. So we dont see many alive. If i do i have a bit of target practise.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"I read (a long time ago in the UK) that you're rarely further than one metre away from a rat."

I believe they are saying the same thing these days in the White House ?

Easily mistaken, I think it was about 6 months ago and it was raccoons, not rats. 

Been here a while- actually have never seen a rat- ever.

Until a few weeks ago- boyfriend's family came to stay over Songkran - I had escaped to Vietnam.

Anyway found a box in the freezer - with a huge rat- magnificent tail etc. 

Conversation- what the hell is a rat doing in my freezer- am sure it is full of disease?

bf: no - this is a country rat- no disease .

me: am not sure I really want a rat in the fridge

bf : it took ages for Papa to catch it - it's very difficult.

It's still in the freezer - never mind . 

There has been a rat problem along Pattaya Beach and living in the trees. I will not forget the night I sat there with a friend having a beer and one fell down onto his thai girl's head. She did'nt mind at all as it tried to find it's footing.

Years ago we had rats behind the house in the small jungle. When my wife spotted one running down a hole, she called her brother in law. He and a couple other guys would come with their digging tools. They would spend more than an hour digging to find the den. They consider those woods rats a delicacy. After I adopted a couple of cats there were no more rats. The cats would chase a rat right up a tree. I can't remember the last time I saw a rat on our property.

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Your such a likable guy I am sure you could have them eating out of your hand. 

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Want to get rid of rats maybe ask.Alberta Canada. There are none in province. If one is found its a big deal.

Very true. I grew up in Calgary Alberta and have a phobia about rats. They have police that checked inbound trains and laws about not reporting a rat if you see it. Whatever they did worked, there were no rats in Alberta.

As kids we were told they were something that grew to the size of a dog and ate people in sewers! I never saw one since they were illegal, but the stories stuck with me. The first time my gf offered me rat I nearly jumped out of my skin!